June 16, 2024, 02:02:10 AM

Author Topic: Yorke backs Black Cats  (Read 1200 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke backs Black Cats
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:40 AM »
Skysports.

Yorke backs Black Cats
By Amanda Cornforth -  Created on 3 Jul 2007
PREMIERSHIP SEASON 2007-08
Sunderland are 16/1 to finish in the top six.

Sunderland striker Dwight Yorke is tipping the promoted side to do more than just stay up in the Premier League this season.
Yorke played his part in helping Roy Keane's men gain automatic promotion to the top flight as champions last term with 32 league appearances after moving to Wearside from Sydney FC in August.
Although many critics have already written the Black Cats off to make a swift return to the Championship given their previous history of fluctuating up and down the leagues, Yorke insists the team have their sights set higher than just avoiding the drop.
"I'm sure Sunderland will survive there's no two ways about that. We're not just going to come there and expect just to survive, I'm expecting Sunderland to do extremely well this year, only time will tell." he told Sky Sports News.
Yorke, who played alongside Keane during his four years at Manchester United, also says the players' determination to succeed at a higher level will be motivated by their high regard for the rookie manager, who only took over at the Stadium of Light in August last year.
"He's [Keane] got a quality about him and people respect what he's done in the game and once you do that as a player, there is so much admiration for him as a player," he continued.
"Players do want to play for him and that's the key factor in his management so far. I'm sure this time around being in the Premiership will be a test of time for him but I have no doubt that he will come through with flying colours again."
At 35, Yorke will be one of the more senior players to ply his trade in the top flight next season but the Trinidad and Tobago international believes that it comes down to being fit regardless of your age.
"In terms of myself as I said before really there's players in the Premiership that are older than I am and they're still playing so it's not about age it's all about your general fitness," concluded Yorke.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:26:48 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke backs Black Cats
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
yes Yorkie...but all yuh have to sign someone to put the ball in the back of the net besides Carlos...

Keane need to step up and bring in top tier stiker.... one of the boys froms spurs.. not mido!

and a work horse in defensive midfield to help dwight

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »
yes Yorkie...but all yuh have to sign someone to put the ball in the back of the net besides Carlos...

Keane need to step up and bring in top tier stiker.... one of the boys froms spurs.. not mido!

and a work horse in defensive midfield to help dwight
...and a back line and a left-winger.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
leave it up to alyuh he need ah whole team
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
as much asi go love it...
all ya tink stern and yorke gonna be 1st team players throughout...

i eh seein stern starting but eh know whas d scene with yorke...
been out of it with sunderland and where he was playin

didnt yorke play striker most of the time last season?

1]; } ?>