March 29, 2024, 01:27:04 AM

Author Topic: The best Caribbean-born footballer  (Read 15110 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The best Caribbean-born footballer
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »
check yuh stats again NC
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »
I think what it is , is that Dwight for all his achievements and accolades....still is an underachiever...in a way that is a compliment even if it isn't a good thing.

After Man Utd he just about disappeared on the football pitch and was invisible.  And that fact will stay with him for the rest of his life.  For every person that recalls a treble or good season there will be 2 or 3 more that will say it was a short term fluke and base it on his mysterious and abismal showing on the football field after he left Man Utd.

He had alot more to achieve to cement the title of great.  Don't know what went wrong....Fergie should have just been another hurdle but it seems like he came to a crashing hault.

We at home are more forgiving but the Brits will have no problems tearing into him at any opportunity....warranted or not (Sullivan...Bruce...whoever else wants to take a shot)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
So i guess dwight yorke is the winner
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005, 12:06:22 PM »
If allyuh goin on stats den Yorke right up dey in trute.

But the best I have ever SEEN is Russell Latapy closely followed by the Haitian General Phillipe Vorbe.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »
Russel did not make double figures either, so what is your point. If you want to say who doing the best out of all the European based players . I may agree. But you have no point

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 01:01:56 PM »
From all the stats i seeing yorke look like the clear winner. Anybody have stats on any of the other players ???
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 01:03:57 PM »
Russel did not make double figures either, so what is your point. If you want to say who doing the best out of all the European based players . I may agree. But you have no point

Me yuh dey wit samo?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2005, 03:47:40 PM »
Barnes was never coached at all in England

In the mid-1970s young Barnes, who by then was attending St George's College, migrated with his family to England when his father, Army Colonel Ken Barnes took up a military attache posting with the Jamaican High Commission, and he remains certain that he did not improve there. It was more that the environment afforded him an opportunity.

By the time he left Jamaica, Barnes had already played Colts football (Under-15 High Schools' League) and had seen his father playing for Jamaica. "All of my football development I got here," boasted Barnes. ". so I never went to England and improved, I went to England and I was given an opportunity to play and I suppose that is why I was as successful at Watford, particularly at such a young age.

"When I went to England I wasn't coached at all. when I went to Watford at 16, I wasn't at a professional club before. My
father got recalled to Jamaica and I fully expected to come back to Jamaica. But then Watford said 'do you want to stay and play? And then I was in the first team six months later, really because I was playing off the natural ability that I had, which was developed here (in Jamaica) and continued there. I was never coached at all in England," reiterated Barnes, whose adroit left foot could cross a ball played at any speed down the left flank, on any desired spot.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »
"Yorke has not reached double figures in his past five seasons"

Dwight hit 13 goals in 2002-2003 season for Blackburn partner
(http://www.gjmedia.co.uk/t&t2-3.htm)

In terms of achievement, there is no one remotely close to what he has achieved from the English speaking Caribbean (Barnes included).
Gullit and that whole holland posse who it seems like came from suriname, could rival him, as they also won championships in italy and all over europe as well.

Its only because Dwight has conquered so much and set such high goals, that when he scores less than 10 goals in an EPL season, we seet it as a failure.
It is his own high achievements that has seen us critisise him now, as he is a mere mortal.
People like Dwight Yorke are born in Trinidad and Tobago once a generation.
If Latas was a  lill bigger and coulda pelt a tackle or two, he woulda be at Dwight Level on the international stage as well too.
But for T&T, and in terms of gifted ability, he is perhaps the best we have ever produced (latas).
Dwight may have been a harder worker and more sacrifice and maybe more ambition (also a lill luck too sometime).

Offline Agos

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2005, 04:40:27 PM »
What about guys like Warren Archibald and Leroy Deleon,who almost qualified T&T for the World Cup.In those days footballers did have the sort of oppotunities and exposure that players over the last couple of decades had,as players coming from Third World countries.Also do not underestimate Gally Cummings who played professional football in Mexico which was quite an accomplishment in those days.Also Haiti had a player called Phillipe Vorbe when they "qualified" for the World Cup,who was quite outstanding.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke's career statistics
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »
Overall career totals:

AppsAs subGoalsYellowRed
Total (Club)
(81)
League
(63)
FA Cup
(7)
League Cup
(0)
European/Others
(11)

International career totals:

AppsAs subGoalsYellowRed
Trinidad & Tobago
(1)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2005, 10:21:39 PM »

You have to consider that as time went on the numbr of games players play for the season increased tremendously.
So the statistics have to be presented and analyzed in a judicious manner.

I could make an average player of the modern game appear to be better than alot of past players because the game of football itself has changed over time.

Goals per game may help but even that may not tell the complete story as the average number of goals in a game at one point in time might be different from another.  The laws of the game were changed to encourage more goals, faster action....change in offside rule, change in rules for goalkeepers....stricter rules on tackling to protect attacking players.

You could however have a sense of how important that player was to his team and their subsequent achievements.  How respected was that player for his talent and performance on the pitch...what effect he had on the game and what was the quality of the opposition.

Tallman, how easy it was to make that table?  I guess it easy if you could just copy paste something but it look like stress to use dem buttons.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Who is the best Player in the Caribbean
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »
Who do you think is currently the best player in the Caribbean ?
Right now I think Carlos Edwards is the best player.

&

Who do you think is the best Caribbean player of all time ?
I would say Dwight Yorke.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:58:48 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the best Player in the Caribbean
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
Yuh trying to bait some Jamaicans into de open or wha?? :rotfl:

Buh i agree with you.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
if yuh including fete matches me........................
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 10:15:01 AM »
Currently- 1.Jason Roberts 2. Carlos Edwards & Ricardo Gardner

Ever (my time & recollection)- 1-Russel Latapy 2.Dwight Yorke 3.Theodore Whitmore & Shaka Hislop

There are prob better players but those are the ones that come to mind immediately
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:20:57 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
Right now: Edwards

Ever: Yorke Latas and Stern

and when alyuh men question Stern...  prove it with facts why he shouldnt be there....
Fact: he is the best striker in the Caribbean with the best strike rate and is amongst the top 15 greatest national goalscorers.. and he is the man that really got us to the cup.. because i damn for sure know dat no1 on our team was scoring those 5 vital hex goals NOT 1 EFFING PLAYER COULD HAVE DONE THAT...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:25:41 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
rusell latapy now and forever  ....till he is 80....then me
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 10:36:13 AM »
Right now: Edwards

Ever: Yorke Latas and Stern

and when alyuh men question Stern...  prove it with facts why he shouldnt be there....
Fact: he is the best striker in the Caribbean with the best strike rate and is amongst the top 15 greatest national goalscorers.. and he is the man that really got us to the cup.. because i damn for sure know dat no1 on our team was scoring those 5 vital hex goals NOT 1 EFFING PLAYER COULD HAVE DONE THAT...

Yuh sound like yuh have a serious axe to grind. If men eh rate Stern they eh rate him- daz small ting....he's probably the greatest goalscorer in T&T/Caribbean (arguably of all time)- but that's all that the stats prove.

In terms of greatest player, there's much more than stats that tell the story otherwise there would be no debating that Stern is/was greater than Latapy- argue that tuh yuh father nah  ;D ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »
right now: 3 way tie between Jason Roberts (Grenada), Carlos (T&T), and Gardner (Jamaica)

best ever: Leonson Lewis

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
oh gawd
man pushing domestic discord and ting :devil:

My vote is for de King of Canaan, (drum roll please) Mr Dwight Yorke  ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »
Now: Carlos

Ever: Latas

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
Top three is Latas, Yorkie and Leonson Lewis. They could handle deyself wit' de greats of ANY generation. Best scorer Stern-turn-inho. Best left winger Leonson. Most skillful: Latas. Most explosive with shock and awe: Leonson. Biggest achiever where it matters most: Yorkie.So who is de winner of the three? Well, ah go ha' to tally all de points. Hol' on.....out of 10 points....

Latas 9.80 (A+)
Yorkie 9.81 (A+)
Leonson 9.78 (A+)
Stern 9.73 (A+) when he was at his prime
Carlos (currently at)... 9.4 (A)
Shaka 9.7 (A+) during his best days years ago
Clayton Ince 9.3 (A)
Colin Samuel 8.98-9.0 (B+)
Hardes' 7.9 (C+ to B-)
"Tappa" Whitmore  :thinking:  8.99 (B+)
Onandi Lowe  9.5 (borderline A-->A+)

...and to put the scale in perspective  ;D .....

Maradona 9.9 (A+)
Pele 9.9 (A+)
Zidane 9.88 (A+)

Therefore, the winner is.................Yorkie   :applause: :applause: . I rest my case, while paying my  :notworthy: to Latas and Leonson and offering my  :salute:  to Stern-turn-inho and Shaka.   ;D

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:47:35 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
D Jamaicans gettin real pong as is, but I would not include Gardner with Edwards and Roberts right now. His season has been sporadic. Claude Davis had a more solid season in my mind. Nonetheless, I think if we were to add a potential third that Shelton, once his eye for goal improves, will be a torment in both the EPL and CONCACAF.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »
boxhill is the best defender
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2007, 12:41:31 PM »
onandi lowe coulda really been playin for a top club if he was serious...

he was real bad ...esp. when he play TT

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2007, 12:49:36 PM »
D Jamaicans gettin real pong as is, but I would not include Gardner with Edwards and Roberts right now. His season has been sporadic. Claude Davis had a more solid season in my mind. Nonetheless, I think if we were to add a potential third that Shelton, once his eye for goal improves, will be a torment in both the EPL and CONCACAF.

Shelton will turn out to be another Ricardo Fuller.  Plenty flash, lots a great predictions bout potential, and ultimately end up in a Championship or Division 1 squad scorin 5 goal a season.  As fuh CONCACAF.....same returns as Fuller.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
Shelton will turn out to be another Ricardo Fuller.  Plenty flash, lots a great predictions bout potential, and ultimately end up in a Championship or Division 1 squad scorin 5 goal a season.  As fuh CONCACAF.....same returns as Fuller.

Ah not looking for ting...

Any reason why yuh feel so?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »

Ah not looking for ting...

Any reason why yuh feel so?

They're the same player.  Check dem out.  Fast, Skillful, Young, and not able at dat level.

Remember when dah yute (tink he name Jermaine sumting) did debut fuh Bolton against Arsenal right after comin straight from Jamaica?  He had a blinder and everybody start callin he nex Pele etc.  Now he cyah even make 3rd Division side.

Same ting when Fuller did now start.  Everybody did say he takin EPL by storm.  He never pan out to be 1/4 de player dey was expectin.

Nex was supposed to be Omar Daley.  Flop.

Keith Kelly was supposed to mash up Europe.  Nadas.

Jermain Hue still supposed to take Europe by storm.  Rien.

Fact is......Ricardo Gardner is by far the best player to come out of Jamaica.  At the CONCACAF level, it's that wayward but dangerous soul Honandi Lowe.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2007, 01:05:29 PM »
right now: 3 way tie between Jason Roberts (Grenada), Carlos (T&T), and Gardner (Jamaica)

best ever: Leonson Lewis

ha ha ..filho you should get around some more ... Ask Leonsen and he will tell you who is de best ever ...he been saying it for many years ...since you rate him so highly you should respect his opinion ...
Ask him nah

1]; } ?>