April 23, 2024, 03:59:22 AM

Author Topic: New broom may spell doom for Dunga  (Read 3357 times)

Offline santacruz

• Full Warrior
  • This year is the Dutch year!
    • View Profile
Fatima old boy graduate in '95 from Form 5, '97 from Form 6, lived in Santa Cruz.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: New broom may spell doom for Dunga
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:15:41 AM »
Sorry to say that I have to agree Dunga not really doing anything for the team. I am not impressed at all by Brazil in this Copa America, they look very ordinary

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:17 AM »
i doh recall ever seeing such a boring brazil team b4 now.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:02:37 AM »
Sweep him away !

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »
Copa-Dunga under fire after another Brazil letdown

RIO DE JANEIRO, July 5 (Reuters) - Coach Dunga has been widely criticised after Brazil, devoid of midfield creativity, struggled to a 1-0 win over Ecuador in the Copa America.

Brazilian media on Thursday praised Robinho as the team's saviour again, although Dunga had denied after the game that they relied too much on the Real Madrid forward.

Robinho scored all four goals in the group stage as the holders limped into the quarter-finals.

Dunga was also criticised for fielding three defensive midfielders.

O Globo, the Rio de Janeiro-based daily, ran the headline 'Robinho saves the team again' and lambasted what it called "another dreadful performance".

"Without playing football worthy of their tradition, Brazil only managed to beat Ecuador... thanks to the individualism of Robinho, who, not content with winning the penalty, also converted," it said.

"The first half decried the poorly-planned Brazil lineup, full of defensive midfielders."

The sports newspaper Lance ran a photo of Robinho under the headline: 'Look who saved Brazil'.

"The coach is lost between defence, which so commonly featured in his playing career, and the attacking football which the supporters are asking for," said Lance.

The Estado de Sao Paulo described the match as "sleepy and lacking excitement" while the Folha de Sao Paulo said: "Brazil qualify in second place with three defensive midfielders".

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »
Even winning Copa America eh go save he.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
He cyah coach and alienating players. Sweep him way yes
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »
Meanwhile, Robinho is on track to rival the goal tally of the major Brazilians in this tournament historically:

Year       Artilheiro            Gols
 1919   Friedenreich e Neco  4
 1945   Heleno de Freitas      6
 1949   Jair Rosa Pinto          9
 1959   Pelé                        8 
 1983   Roberto Dinamite      3
 1989   Bebeto                    6
 1997   Ronaldo                   7
 1999   Rivaldo e Ronaldo      5
 2004   Adriano                   7

Source: O Globo Esportes

So, the question arises ... can Robinho save Dunga from the executioner?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
Dunga was appointed purely because of the "disastrous performance" of the team in Germany.  Everybody say de team too ole and how dey need to tighten up.  Dunga campaign fuh de wuk on de "strength" of de "I into results, not pretty football" way of thinking and people fall fuh it.

This is BRAZIL.  Tele Sanata is revered in Brazil even though he never won a World Cup Trophy or even appeared in a final.  But his 82 team ranks as one of the best ever Brazilian teams for the way they played.  A padnah tell meh dat after de game against Italy dat dey lost 3-2, Santana walk een to de press conference and ALL de Brazilian reporters give him a standing ovation fuh over a minute.  He say dat never happen before or since.

So Dunga could talk all de results lyrics he want.  At de end of de day, is Brazil we talkin bout here and dey not only have to win, but win wit some style...in other words...IN TRUE BRAZILIAN FASHION.  Is de only country in de world except perhaps Holland dat could say dat and consistently pull it off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:03:41 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
For me it's possibly a larger issue than personnel.

I agree with Filho that the team looks uncoached. The lack of polish and refinement is obvious and although the inclusion of missing personnel such as Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ze Roberto etc. could assist in regaining the shine, I fear Dunga may be unable to "coach' in the traditional sense of the word.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »
3 defensive mids  :o Oh God, oh...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »
Dunga has no prior experience as a coach but others have been successful without prior coaching experience...with that said, i think he has done a decent job, Brazil is playing without their top attacking players and the new guys (except Robinho and Gilberto silva) lack experience in major competition so fans must be patient.  I think he overdo it with the defensive mids and that will have to change soon otherwise he will be fired..he should be given until the end of the year.

personally, I feel scolari should take charge again but i doubt he will consider that job till 2009 (just enough time to prepare a squad for the wrold cup)...so i expect Zico to be next in line for the coaching job if dunga dont make it to 2008.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
Granted - Zico has more of a coaching resume than Dunga, but given the limits of his experience and his distance from contemporary Brazilian soccer I don't see that happening on the heels of Dunga. Furthermore, his decision-making with Japan at the WC has been questioned severally. I would rather wait see what he produces in Turkey.

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 02:51:38 PM »
This dude coaches just as boring as he looks!!! BYE DUNGA

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Asked why Brazil field three stoppers in midfield, Dunga opted for the counter-attack.

"Argentina play with three defensive midfielders (Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastian Veron and Esteban Cambiasso) and everyone says how well they attack, so why can't Brazil?," he replied.

"If it's good enough for Argentina, why is it not good enough for Brazil?"

Offline santacruz

• Full Warrior
  • This year is the Dutch year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
Dunga was appointed purely because of the "disastrous performance" of the team in Germany.  Everybody say de team too ole and how dey need to tighten up.  Dunga campaign fuh de wuk on de "strength" of de "I into results, not pretty football" way of thinking and people fall fuh it.

This is BRAZIL.  Tele Sanata is revered in Brazil even though he never won a World Cup Trophy or even appeared in a final.  But his 82 team ranks as one of the best ever Brazilian teams for the way they played.  A padnah tell meh dat after de game against Italy dat dey lost 3-2, Santana walk een to de press conference and ALL de Brazilian reporters give him a standing ovation fuh over a minute.  He say dat never happen before or since.

So Dunga could talk all de results lyrics he want.  At de end of de day, is Brazil we talkin bout here and dey not only have to win, but win wit some style...in other words...IN TRUE BRAZILIAN FASHION.  Is de only country in de world except perhaps Holland dat could say dat and consistently pull it off.

funny ting yuh mention Holland there because Van Basten get real criticize fuh the brand the dutch was playing, but they was winning so the public ease off on him ah little. now that the results aint coming consistently as before, real peeps calling fuh he head. so in the end if yuh playing how the public want yuh might could save yuh wok, but winning supersedes alot!
Fatima old boy graduate in '95 from Form 5, '97 from Form 6, lived in Santa Cruz.

1]; } ?>