April 25, 2024, 06:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Standford to invest $100 million over 3 years into West Indies cricket  (Read 1314 times)

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Billionaire Allen Stanford is to invest $100m (£49.6m) in West Indies cricket over the next three years.
The Texas businessman, who lives in Antigua, is determined to bring cricket in the region into the 21st century.

"We are stuck in the 1950s and 60s. We can't allow ourselves to stay stuck forever," he commented.

Part of the investment will fund the second Stanford 20/20 tournament, which will feature Cuba for the first time as one of 21 competing Caribbean nations.

Funding will be provided to each team to enable them to prepare for the tournament, along with Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, who are expected to make their debut in 2009.

606: DEBATE
Is this great news for West Indies cricket in general? 

The Stanford 20/20 will take place from 25 January to 24 February next year, with the winning team collecting $1m from a total prize fund of $2.9m.

"I have committed my resources and I believe that within the next three years we will have a world beating West Indies team again.

"The Stanford 20/20 and the professional league we are creating are going to be the instrument that brings about that success, the catalyst that takes us back to the glory days of West Indies cricket," Stanford commented.

I have said over and over that this region has the best cricket players in the world

Allen Stanford

He admitted that he hoped to make a profit on his investment in time, but insisted: "As you can tell from these plans, we are in this for the long haul."

Stanford added: "I have said over and over that this region has the best cricket players in the world. We just need to harness this talent, steer these players in the right direction, reward their efforts and raise the standard of professionalism all around.

"Only then will we see the success that we have been hoping for. Let's partner together and make it happen."

Last year Stanford handed over $28m (£16m), which funded the first 20/20 tournament, won by Guyana.

Plans for a $5m winner-takes-all match between a Stanford Super Star XI and South Africa came to nothing because of a scheduling conflict with the West Indies tour to Pakistan.

This time, he has already has several Caribbean governments on board to support his proposals for developing grass roots cricket and establishment of a professional league.

"We want them to buy into this proposal and grasp our vision for West Indies cricket," said former West Indies fast bowler Reverend Wes Hall.

"I feel we have accomplished this and the future of cricket is bright."

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I hope Stanford is in it for the long haul. He is the only one around that has money to burn. Big up Stanford (for now anyway- i reserve the right to remove this big up). I read an article about this subject on cricinfo.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/stanford2008/content/story/300752.html

2 points to note.

1) He intends to make a profit at some point on the £100m he has invested. ??? Unless some major fraud taking place i cant see that happening for a long time.

2) He reckons West Indies will be a world beating team again in 3 years.  ??? Unless some global warming causes Australia, New Zealand, England, India, Sri Lanka and South Africa to be wiped off the map within 3 years i cant see that happening.

Anyways regardless of these 2 statements he seems to really want to make a difference and we can already see he is doing a lot of planning unlike the West Indies administrators.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 02:51:26 PM by Remie »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
wonder if stanford will bypass the wicb on grassroots level development of cricket if he interested in that atall? it will be interesting to see if lara could make a pitch on how to revitalize the game and to see if stanford taking him on or not. i mean, if stanford only want to deal with wicb, he throwing that money away.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
He doesnt want to deal with the WICB. Last 2020 tournament....the money and a proposal as to how i t would be used was submitted by each national board. Making a profit on the 100 million....that remains to be seen......it go take a while. From what i have heard about standfords modus operandi............he just using that to get a new sphere to control........But....the idea seems to have a great deal of returns for both parties.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>