April 25, 2024, 02:24:20 AM

Author Topic: Conmebol News Thread  (Read 8146 times)

truetrini

Conmebol News Thread
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »
YET WE SEND ah sorf team to de Gold Cupwith NO COM{LaINTS!!!
U.S. Team Disappoints Cup Organizers

CONMEBOL Not Pleased U.S. Sent Second-Tier to Copa America

By RICARDO ZUNIGA,AP
Posted: 2007-07-04 19:10:02
Filed Under: Soccer

MARACAIBO, Venezuela (July 4) - CONMEBOL was not pleased that the United States sent a second-choice side to the Copa America, while leaving many of its best players - like Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley - off the roster, one of the organization's top officials said Wednesday.

The U.S. team arrived in Venezuela for the Copa America on June 26 with only seven players from the roster that won the CONCACAF Gold Cup over Mexico in the final two days earlier.

Using a squad in which 16 players had 10 caps or fewer - including three who had never played internationally, the United States lost its first two matches against Argentina and Paraguay by a combined score of 7-2.

"We like for the continent's most important competition to be respected with the best players," CONMEBOL general secretary Eduardo Deluca told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

He said the Americans "opted to send a team with some players who aren't their regulars. That doesn't please us," Deluca told the AP.

However, he said the organization hopes for continued U.S. participation in the tournament.

Like the United States, Brazil also was short some of its great stars, including Ronaldinho and Kaka, who asked to be rested. The Brazil squad changes are part of a long-term effort by new coach Dunga to freshen the lineup.

Six members of the U.S. Gold Cup team were sent back to their clubs in Major League Soccer, engaged in the middle of their season, while another, U.S. manager Bob Bradley's son Michael, was sent with the American youth side to the Under-20 World Cup in Canada.

The United States and Mexico are the two invitees from North America. Mexico has regularly been a top contender and when first invited in 1993 lost in the final to Argentina. In 2001, Mexico made the final again and lost to Colombia.

"Mexico is always a candidate to win the Copa. It's in the race. It's one of the best," Deluca said.

He contrasted the second-tier U.S. team to that sent by Argentina, which includes top its regulars such as Lionel Messi, Carlos Tevez and Juan Roman Riquelme.

"In Argentina it's normal. It's very difficult for Argentina to go anywhere with an alternate team," Deluca said.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: CONMEBOL Not Pleased U.S. Sent Second-Tier to Copa America
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »
even 1st string woulda get cutass.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »
Just doh invite them back next time that's all.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »
All Concacaf care bout is that mexico and usa make de final....and it make money. when a federation takes a competition seriously......this is the things they concerned about.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
All Concacaf care bout is that mexico and usa make de final....and it make money. when a federation takes a competition seriously......this is the things they concerned about.
CONCACAF didn't select the US squad, nor did it 'send' them.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statements.

at any rate...I heard this very complaint from a former US MNT player myself...that the US "has no business sending" that team to the Copa and that the US needs to start taking this competiton more seriously.

My argument was that they trying to deepen the pool by allowing more youngsters to get capped ahead of qualification next year for SA 2010.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
CONMEBOL could haul dey ass. They know the Copa America is after the Gold Cup, the European season is over and MLS is in full flight...and you still invite the US. They really feel the top players would be able, or allowed to play 2 summer tournaments back to back. Take what you can get

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 01:49:14 PM »
CONMEBOL could haul dey ass. They know the Copa America is after the Gold Cup, the European season is over and MLS is in full flight...and you still invite the US. They really feel the top players would be able, or allowed to play 2 summer tournaments back to back. Take what you can get

CONMEBOL could RE - haul dey ass...! Who they use to send when they get invited to the Gold Cup  ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »

CONMEBOL could RE - haul dey ass...! Who they use to send when they get invited to the Gold Cup  ::)

Exactly!!..as much as I dispise the USA when it comes to football, I can fully understand why they sent this team to Copa, they are benefitting a lot and expanding thier pool. I think they are going to come out of this tournament much stronger, and is we to ketch in Concacaf  ;D

With all that said, I am happy to see they are getting schooled and hopefully they realise when it comes to world football they have very far to go and come back down to earth  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
So in effect what we saying is that the Gold Cup is a more prestigious win than the Copa?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 02:24:10 PM »
So in effect what we saying is that the Gold Cup is a more prestigious win than the Copa?

If the U.S. wants to be respected on the world stage, then they need to perform at these events. Maybe something needs to be done about the scheduling of the Gold Cup and Copa America. But from my perspective, it would have been in their best interests to send a 'B' team to the Gold Cup and field their best at the Copa America to help them prepare for Confederations Cup and the World Cup. Copa America is a much more prestigious event than the Gold Cup and there is a much greater level of competition a la Brasil and Argentina so for the U.S. sending their 'B' team was kinna disrespectful.  Yeah Brasil sent their B team too but there's a much greater difference between a Brasil 'B' and a U.S. 'B'. Look at how seriously Mexico takes this competition and they're always a contender. That's probably why they're much more competitive on the world stage than the U.S. are.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »

« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:24:10 PM »
Quote from: elan on Today at 04:09:52 PM

If the U.S. wants to be respected on the world stage, then they need to perform at these events. Maybe something needs to be done about the scheduling of the Gold Cup and Copa America. But from my perspective, it would have been in their best interests to send a 'B' team to the Gold Cup and field their best at the Copa America to help them prepare for Confederations Cup and the World Cup. Copa America is a much more prestigious event than the Gold Cup and there is a much greater level of competition a la Brasil and Argentina so for the U.S. sending their 'B' team was kinna disrespectful.  Yeah Brasil sent their B team too but there's a much greater difference between a Brasil 'B' and a U.S. 'B'. Look at how seriously Mexico takes this competition and they're always a contender. That's probably why they're much more competitive on the world stage than the U.S. are.

That was my thoughts exactly.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »

From what I know, they can't get to the ConFed cup, if they doh win the GC! so it was in their best interest to win the GC in order to advance to the Confed cup. Winning the Copa would just be icing on the cake, it won't qualify them for the ConFed cup. Correct me if I am wrong.

Big Up!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 02:34:16 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »

From what I know, they can't get to the ConFed cup, if they doh win the GC! so it was in their best interest to win the GC in order to advance to the Confed cup. Winning the Copa would just be icing on the cake, it won't qualify them for the ConFed cup. Correct me in I am wrong.

Big Up!

Yeah but, the U.S. have Mexico number, hands down when it come to head-to-head match ups. How much competition it have in Gold Cup so that the U.S. wouldn't be able to contend with their 'B' team? The U.S. in Gold Cup is like Brasil in Copa America.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »

From what I know, they can't get to the ConFed cup, if they doh win the GC! so it was in their best interest to win the GC in order to advance to the Confed cup. Winning the Copa would just be icing on the cake, it won't qualify them for the ConFed cup. Correct me in I am wrong.

Big Up!

Yeah but, the U.S. have Mexico number, hands down when it come to head-to-head match ups. How much competition it have in Gold Cup so that the U.S. wouldn't be able to contend with their 'B' team? The U.S. in Gold Cup is like Brasil in Copa America.

With all due respect, I think the only reason the US is BIG in the GC..ok let's just say one of the Big reasons is, because they play at home...and no way this Copa team was going to beat Mexico in the final, if they got there  ;D But ah hear what you saying.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »

The US had a much better chance of winning the Gold Cup and qualifying for the Confd Cup with its A team. The US knows what it is doing. The Confed Cup is the best prep going into a WC. When teams playing lala friendlies going into SA 2010, the US will be playing against the best teams from their regions in a real competition (assuming they qualify for the WC) + Italy as current champs and hosts South Africa. That has to be the priority for any team. After that, it was the scheduling of the two tournies to blame...the USSF could not force clubs to release players and really had little choice. Nothing to do with disrespect. This is business and the US is systematically building a program. Having your A team play the best from around the globe 2 years from now is far better than having yor A team play maybe 1 or 2 top class SA teams.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »

Big Up!

A US B team not beating Mexico...anywhere. And it took the best of the A team to scrape past Panama and Canada. So I think the US got it right. No A team..no Confed Cup. Why you really think Mexico sent their A team to the GC. Confed Cup was the main prize for both. The consequence for the loser - Loss of revenue and loss of potentially better competition closer to the World Cup. I can't see how anyone arguing against that.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 03:04:11 PM »

Then they could always invite TT and see what our best Jackula team looks like!
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »

Big Up!

A US B team not beating Mexico...anywhere. And it took the best of the A team to scrape past Panama and Canada. So I think the US got it right. No A team..no Confed Cup. Why you really think Mexico sent their A team to the GC. Confed Cup was the main prize for both. The consequence for the loser - Loss of revenue and loss of potentially better competition closer to the World Cup. I can't see how anyone arguing against that.

And a Brasil 'B' could beat Argentina 'A' and make it to the Condfeds Cup? (even though they take the top two from South America). Brasil and Argentina is like the US and Mexico with the US being much more superior to Mexico in recent years than Brasil have been over Argentina. Buh whatever, I still doh think they had any right sending that shit squad to the Copa America - they might as well should have refused to participate.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »

Thos whe want respect have to demand it. No sense respecting someone's else's regional tourney more than yours, especially when there's a Confed Cup berth at the end of it all.

Study the thing, even if they (or Mexico) ever win the Copa as it Stands, they won't even get the satisfaction of being named Copa America champions...
The US have their priorities straight, and that was a A team Mexico send as well. The only reason Marquez wasn't on the Gold Cup team from the beginning was because the La liga finish a month later than the other...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

Yeah but the point is not whether or not U.S. should have sent their A or B team. Sure they shoulda sent a better team- everybody "should" send their best team to tournaments- in the competitive spirit of the game each team should give itself the best chance at winning.....and entertaining the fans

The point is whether or not CONMEBOL should be so bold as to publicly berate them for doing what they did- using pathetic reasoning to boot... 

It's obvious that the U.S. carried a B-team to the copa because of tough circumstances, scheduling conflicts & hedging their bets.... and not because disrespect......They had to make a choice between suring up (as much as possible) the Gold Cup victory & hence going to the CONFED Cup, or merely getting some respect at the COPA. Their chances of winning the copa were significantly less than winning the Gold Cup IMO....and the proof is in the pudding- they made the right choice- who vex loss....

I reiterate the above sentiment of Midknight & Filho that CONMEBOL could haul dey ASS....That disrespect talk is crap. The U.S. knew that they were going to be baptised by fire in the Copa with their B-team.... CONMEBOL wants to talk about disrespect - talk to Brazil..they are the ones who feel they can win any tournament (incl the copa) with their under 12 team....now that's disrespect.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:29:22 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »
And a Brasil 'B' could beat Argentina 'A' and make it to the Condfeds Cup? (even though they take the top two from South America). Brasil and Argentina is like the US and Mexico with the US being much more superior to Mexico in recent years than Brasil have been over Argentina. Buh whatever, I still doh think they had any right sending that shit squad to the Copa America - they might as well should have refused to participate.

Toppz..yuh not making any sense. First off, you can't compare Brazil depth and experience to that of the US. That Brazilian B team still had a majority of players playing for big sides in Europe who were household names. Second, Brazil had already qualified for the Confed Cup as World Cup winners (that's why Argentina still went as the South American representative). So they did not have as much on the line as the US. Third..you REALLY think that if the Copa America was in Brazil, they would play a 2nd string team? Not a chance in hell. Fourth, the US is trying to make soccer more popular in their own country. They are hosting the region's top tournament and getting some exposure. These fellas had a mandate to win at all cost. They not playing for the smae reasons as everyone else. It might sound dramatic, but they playing for the future of the sport in their country. Anyhow...Brazil disrespected their own tournament. They do it alot and CONMEBOL should say something about that too. But Brazil's actions are no excuse fo the US to disrespect our regional tournament. I agree it would have been nice if the US could have sent a better team..but they played their cards right. Now their 2nd string team has some great international experience..why would they walk away from that.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »
isn't mexico under the same constraints as usa? why they could send a good team to copa and usa cyah send one?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 10:20:03 PM »
isn't mexico under the same constraints as usa? why they could send a good team to copa and usa cyah send one?
Mexico was just embarrassed by the US in the Gold Cup and Hugo Sanchez was coaching for his job coming into the Copa America...so they came loaded for bear so to speak.

As for this criticism of the US... Trinidadians amaze me sometimes yes, lol.  America could give two shits about a Copa America...not when 2010 qualification right around the corner and their world cup vets are getting older.  Bradley and the USSF will prove themselves to be visionaries when these battle-tested youths start playing better next year...meanwhile older vets like Donovan and Beasley will still have their legs after near 12 months of straight football.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:28:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 07:52:27 AM »

nope. The Mexican domestic league is done. Doesn't start back until August. MLS is in the middle of its season. Guess who wants their players back more?

BnS is also right. Hugo was feeling the pressure even before the GC..He also knew that if he didn't win it..he'd need a good showing in Copa America, so he named a top line up for both tournaments. Many of his European based players still abruptly left the squad after the GC citing fatigue....go figure.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »

yeah but that current team could beat our present Warriors

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »

yeah but that current team could beat our present Warriors
i agree,any team (concacaf) now could beat de present warriors.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
Toppa Brazil B at the copa go get a cut ass from Argentina A team
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 05:36:18 AM »

and hopefully they realise when it comes to world football they have very far to go and come back down to earth ;D

Big Up!
SO MR DESOWA, if they have a long way to go , then we ain't even start yet. from time in memoriam, or let's just say since 1989, from what i could remember, we ain't beat the US in a major senior game since that faithless day at the hasley crawford stadia. and when we had a little momentum going , jackulah and his IMPS see to it that it's dismantled, as we witnested soon after the WC.  no disrespect or challenge to you sar, but a lot of men like to belittle the US and they knowledge of the game , when dey bussin we ass all the time so i don't get it. all i am saying is, they must be doing something right, and we must be real fackin lousie and shitty to be losing all the time to men who now learning the game
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:42:20 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
concacaf's best v conmebol's best.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »
come wednesday is war.i will definitly feel sorry when mexico get that cutass.but say wuh,that's de way de cookie crumbles.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: concacaf's best v conmebol's best.
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 06:53:13 PM »
Yeah- will be difficult for Mexico to come out of that game alive....

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>