April 19, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Author Topic: Copa America Thread  (Read 105469 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Copa America Thread.
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »
Wonder how it will play out if Brazil cut Argentina's arse in the finals? Ah would luv it!
Again?

I go need a 12 step program just now. I getting a football fix every 6 hours or so...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Wonder how it will play out if Brazil cut Argentina's arse in the finals? Ah would luv it!
Again?

I go need a 12 step program just now. I getting a football fix every 6 hours or so...

Yeah boy, when football season ended I was wondering what football there will be to watch until leagues come back. Had no idea there would be all these tournaments rolling out. This is why this the best sport in the world-always a game to watch! I just hope some of these players get good rest before they return to their respective leagues!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »
The center of that field look like they paint it green.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
This game already making me miss the Women's World Cup...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
ent !
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Anybody else on Argentina making plays besides Messi?  Watch Bolivia buss a goal on dem!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
 :sleepy: :sleepy:

giggsy11

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
Again?

Yeah boy, when football season ended I was wondering what football there will be to watch until leagues come back. Had no idea there would be all these tournaments rolling out. This is why this the best sport in the world-always a game to watch! I just hope some of these players get good rest before they return to their respective leagues!

FIFA want total dominance over the sports airwaves.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
Fire Maradona Now!!!!!

wait... ::)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
Lol Bolivia score , game dead dead dead , where my french babes and them, them women spoil me
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
That fella on the post need a bull pistle!

Who was that? Banega?

Edit: Lavezzi need a bull pistle too! yuh run the length of the field, at least make sure the cross stay in.

giggsy11

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Dat damn striker useless!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
This 2nd half seems much better. I think everybody change they shoes.
The tackling by the Bolivian back line has been excellent.

Good work by the keeper there on a Bolivian one-on-one.  Argentina going and collect a next goal just now.

Tevez doing anything in this 2nd half?

giggsy11

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
Bolivia's number 16 in the back is a borse defender! He taking no prisioners!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
aaaaaaaazzzzzzoooooooooooo!!!!!

Coach looking like a genius now.

giggsy11

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
Deadly! He rell rockin dat Mohawk to!

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
my player..

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
That is a special goal.  Aguero's was good too haha....

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »
I dont think we winning anything this year ...I does support Argentina ..real bad ...but after what I just saw ...we eh winning nutten ! No defense !! we are hopeless in defense. Since my feed was sticking it was easy to observe positional plays in different situations ....argentina could dominate and still lose ...just about every attack could score on dem !
If they call me I ready to go and help now yes ..because they really have to improve 200% to have any chance of getting to the final. The central defenders are everywhere else but in  central defense .... at this rate a player like  Forlan could score a hattrick against them ...
The attack was very uni dimensional ....it was predictable and any defense could smother it. If Pastore does not come in next game ..then I know we eh serious ...everything is Messi and it was only after " Kun " and Di maria came on that the attack looked threatening ...
Changes to come .....or this coach gone !

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 05:41:44 AM »
I dont think we winning anything this year ...I does support Argentina ..real bad ...but after what I just saw ...we eh winning nutten ! No defense !! we are hopeless in defense. Since my feed was sticking it was easy to observe positional plays in different situations ....argentina could dominate and still lose ...just about every attack could score on dem !
If they call me I ready to go and help now yes ..because they really have to improve 200% to have any chance of getting to the final. The central defenders are everywhere else but in  central defense .... at this rate a player like  Forlan could score a hattrick against them ...
The attack was very uni dimensional ....it was predictable and any defense could smother it. If Pastore does not come in next game ..then I know we eh serious ...everything is Messi and it was only after " Kun " and Di maria came on that the attack looked threatening ...
Changes to come .....or this coach gone !

Jai John they have the tools to turn around the team. Messi have to come way too deep to get the ball. Most times he picking up in his own half or near the center circle. That have to be solved. Expect De Maria to probably play ahead of Lavezzi next game.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »
Argentina, BRAZIL AND Uruguay. (in alphabetical order). Dem is the teams go be spearheading this tournament and should be among the last 4 left standing. 

Again?

This has to be one of the best "off seasons" for football fans...the last time the stars aligned to have all the tournaments was in '07....but I think the growth in interest, in the youth tournaments in particular, could be what is making it so exciting for us. It woulda be nice to go Mexico fuh de U-17.....too bad no games was playin' in Cancun  >:(

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

giggsy11

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »
I think Argentina's downfall will be their midfield. Besides Messi they lack any real creativity in that area.

giggsy11

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
Daily Mail Uk

Copa America 2011: What we learned from Argentina's debut flop against Bolivia
Hosts Argentina kicked off the Copa America as ridiculously short-priced favourites to win the competition – but came unstuck in the opener against a Bolivia side who defied their billing as the competition's worst team.
In La Plata, the side built around Lionel Messi went behind to a 47th-minute goal by Edivaldo Rojas before clinching a point with a sublime equaliser by substitute Sergio Aguero.
Here are some lessons from the opening game

ARGENTINA ARE NOT BARCELONA
If it were easy to emulate Barcelona's immensely successful game, everyone would be at it. In the ongoing battle to get the best out of Lionel Messi in an albiceleste shirt, boss Sergio Batista has tried as far as possible to replicate the role that the No 10 enjoys with the European champions.

It started well as Messi got into his rhythm as a drifting, false centre forward, but the weakness of the supporting cast was soon apparent. Attacking partners Carlos Tevez and Ezequiel Lavezzi played too narrow, making it easy for Bolivia to squeeze the space Messi was playing in, which was compounded because full backs Javier Zanetti and Marcos Rojo failed to get forward often enough to stretch the game in the way Dani Alves and Eric Abidal do so well at the Nou Camp.

In midfield, too, Javier Mascherano was supposed to be playing the Sergio Busquets role, with Esteban Cambiasso and Ever Banega as the Xavi and Iniesta of the piece. Unfortunately all three of Argentina's midfielders looked instinctively too cautious and the pass-and-move triangles which Barca create were few and far between.
Argentina were much better when Angel di Maria replaced Cambiasso at half-time and flirted with Real Madrid's 4-2-3-1 system. Di Maria gave them natural width down the left even if Lavezzi couldn't replicate it down the right. But Messi, tightly marked, became lost in the change of formation as he fell too deep in central areas to try to make an impact, and Tevez proved ineffective when shifted to his favoured centre forward position.

PERHAPS BATISTA WAS WRONG TO CAVE IN ON TEVEZ
The boss spent the weeks leading up to his Copa America squad announcement making it clear he had no intention of picking the Manchester City striker.
With a wealth of attacking talent, the reasoning was that Messi was his first-choice central striker, Gonzalo Higuain was his stand-in, the wingers were Di Maria and Lavezzi, and his super subs would be Aguero and Diego Milito.

The trouble is that all-action Tevez is idolised in Argentina, meaning the fans, media and a certain Diego Maradona all put Batista under huge pressure to think again. One Buenos Aires newspaper poll showed more fans wanted Tevez in the squad than Messi and El Apache's popularity could be seen by one prominent banner in La Plata which read: 'Tevez + 10'.

The 27-year-old started well, chasing balls in the left channel, but rarely looked as though he would genuinely threaten the goal, disappointingly so when moved more centrally in the second half. His place must be under threat for Wednesday's game against Colombia – if Batista dare make the change.
There are question marks over the Argentina defence, who looked disorganised, with the inexperienced Spartak Moscow left back Rojo seeming particularly lost.
Batista also failed to get the balance right in midfield, where there was plenty of grit but little creativity in a game that Palermo's Javier Pastore must have been itching to be part of.

But the quality of Argentina's reserve attacking arsenal is why many are tipping them to pick up a record 15th title on July 24. Di Maria will have wondered why he has lost his place to Tevez and the former Benfica winger made the difference after coming on at half-time.
He also played the high-quality cross from the left which led to the spectacular equaliser, as Nicolas Burdisso got forward to chest it towards Aguero, who unleashed a peach of a volley into the roof of Bolivia's goal. It was the kind of strike we'll be expecting more of in July's celebration of South American football.

HAVING A RINGER HELPS
Edvaldo Rojas Hermoza, who goes by a rather Brazilian nickname Edivaldo, grew up dreaming of wearing the shirt made legend by Pele. An invisible career in the country of his birth followed by a move to modest Portuguese side Naval meant that was never going to happen, but he ended up as Bolivia's star man and goalscorer on Friday night.

Edivaldo was born in Mato Grosso, western Brazil, to a Brazilian father and Bolivian mother and got a call out of the blue to join up with La Verde earlier this year. After making his international debut in April, the 25-year-old received official migration papers and approval to represent Bolivia at the Copa only last month.
Former Brazil Under 20 player Marcelo Moreno (No 9) leads the celebrations after Edivaldo (not pictured) scores Bolivia's surprise opener in La Plata
His first international goal came with a huge slice of good fortune as he flicked it rather tamely towards the

Argentina goal, only for Banega to miscontrol and send it past keeper Sergio Romero. Nevertheless, what a great start for a forward who scored just four goals in 29 league appearances as Naval were relegated plumb last from the Portuguese top flight last season.
Edivaldo can look across the forward line to Marcelo Moreno Martins, the Shakhtar Donetsk strker who had a loan spell at Wigan. Moreno was born in Bolivia to a Brazilian dad and Bolivian mother, but had his breakthrough in his paternal country, making his name with Cruzeiro and turning out for Brazil's Under 20s before switching international allegiances. Bolivia's pair are not alone, as we'll come back to over the tournament.

THERE'S A CONTINENTAL SHIFT GOING ON
After years of being moved around, the Copa America has settled into a pattern of taking place in the year after the World Cup, which seems perfect before heading into the marathon qualifying campaign for the next global finals. It also encourages a certain amount of unpredictability as teams go into the competition off the back of a year with no competitive fixtures, often with new managers and a new cycle of players.
It makes it difficult to judge where teams are at going into the tournament, with, for example, the clear favourites Argentina and Brazil both suffering mixed displays in friendlies over the last 12 months.

Nine of the 12 teams have appointed new bosses since the last World Cup or qualifying campaign finished, with just Paraguay's Gerardo Martino and Uruguay's Oscar Washington Tabarez staying in their posts since the 2007 Copa America. It's no surprise that Paraguay and Uruguay are two of the most settled and organised sides in South America, whereas there are doubts surrounding Chile, despite their impressive showing at South Africa 2010.
Claudio Borghi stepped in when popular Chile boss Marcelo Bielsa quit acrimoniously in February, but two wins and two draws for the new man in charge is promising ahead of their Group C bow against Mexico on Monday.

DON'T PANIC!
For Messi and friends, the front pages do not make good reading in Buenos Aires this morning. A draw against Bolivia can never be dressed up well for Argentina. In 11 previous fixtures on home soil, Argentina had never recorded anything less than a win against the Andean nation. Yes, Diego Maradona somehow contrived to lose 6-1 at altitude in La Paz in the last meeting two years ago, but in La Plata is was supposed to be a party for the hosts.

The key message, however, must be to keep calm. Argentina are in a group they should win – alongside Colombia and Costa Rica – and the forgiving 12-team format means third place would even usually be enough to make the quarter-finals.
I was Puerto Ordaz four years ago when Brazil lost their opening game of the Copa America against Mexico and livid journalists berated Dunga. The same boss went on to lift the trophy three weeks later and there is no reason why Batista can't do the same. If he learns from this...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
What a goal by Kun Aguero.. The cross, the chest pass, then the one time stinging volley..

Only the first game of the tourney but it will take some goal to beat that as goal of the tournament.

Lavezzi cyah start again this Copa. He look like he was trying too hard finally getting his chance to start for Argentina. I rate him highly but i think he blew his chance there.

Bolivia fight the game hard, the back 4 especially and the tall man ploughing lone furrows up was their stand out players for me.

Next game, Di Maria, Kun and Pastore hadda start.

Good game to kick off the Copa.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 12:51:19 PM »
I watchin Colombia vs Costa Rica on Univision.
Nothing happen yet.

Costa Rica had a man sent off for a dangerous stamp.
Rodallega just came on for Colombia.

Goal Colombia!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:18:02 PM by Peong »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »
Brazil vs Venezuela in a few hours...

Probable Brazil lineup:

Julio Cesar

Danny Alves
Lucio
Thiago Silva
Andre Santos

Lucas
Ramires
Ganso

Neymar
Pato
Robinho

To me, that side have a small man feel to it, no real size in midfield or attack. This match might not be the real test, but I have a feeling this Brazil team may not be de real deal yet. Thankfully dey eh haf 2 play Argentina for a while.

I'm interested 2 see how Ganso does, seeing as he only has one cap thus far and would only have joined up wid de rest of de team after the Libertadores final...he has a big role to play in this team, wid no other creativity in midfield.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
Don't sleep on Ganso at all. He real bad.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
Don't sleep on Ganso at all. He real bad.

..which is kind of a blanket statement for most young up and coming Brazilians, but I wonder where most people have gotten dat assessment from, seeing as he still playin in Brazil (which most people dont watch) and was injured for most of last season anyway and a good chunk of this one.

not sayin he eh good, but i've only seen him playing a few times...

1]; } ?>