April 27, 2024, 12:04:12 PM

Author Topic: Copa America Thread  (Read 106035 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Copa America Thread
« Reply #900 on: March 20, 2024, 01:45:45 AM »
Aubrey David sounds battle cry: Soca Warriors ready to die for Copa spot.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

Soca Warriors captain Aubrey David and star attacker Levi Garcia say they and their teammates are ready and willing to put everything on the line in their 2024 Copa America play-in against Canada in Frisco, Texas on March 23.

The winner of the play-in match will advance to the June 20-July 14 Conmebol tournament where they will be placed alongside Chile, Peru and reigning Fifa World Cup champions Argentina in group A.

David, who assumed the Trinidad and Tobago captaincy for the 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League A campaign, is determined to lead by example from his centre back position and he has already gone into full warrior mode.

"With it being a one-off game, we have to give everything. We are 90 minutes away from making history and changing our lives forever," David told TT Football Association (TTFA) media.

"That's motivation to give everything, to die basically on the field. Anything can happen. We just need to believe in ourselves and try to make history."

Currently attached to CS Cartagines in Costa Rica, the 33-year-old David is expected to have his hands full against a Canadian attack which includes Mallorca forward Cyle Larin, Lille attacker Jonathan David and electric Bayern Munich flanker Alphonso Davies.

Aubrey said the Soca Warriors have kept together the core of the squad which advanced to the Nations League A knockout stages for the first time, and he also says the current crop of players provides coach Angus Eve with the right blend of experience and youth.

The veteran defender said the Miscellaneous Police FC pair of Adrian Foncette and Robert Primus will help with the team's leadership, while he is also pleased with the returns of Ajani Fortune and brothers Levi and Judah Garcia further afield.

"It's very important for the country and very important for our careers personally and as a team," Aubrey said.

"I think we just need to settle and get focused, and take every day as a step. I think it is a big opportunity for us as a nation to be in the Copa America. It's the biggest thing for us after World Cup (qualification)."

Levi, who has battled numerous injuries during the ongoing season with Greek champions AEK Athens, wants to deliver on the big stage after missing several games in T&T's Nations League A campaign. In the two-legged Nations League A quarterfinals against the US in November, Levi came on as a second-half substitute in the first leg, but was subsequently ruled out for the return leg which saw T&T getting a 2-1 win on home soil at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Now returned to fine form for AEK where he has 14 goals in 20 games in all competitions this season, Levi is motivated to put the red, white and black on his broad shoulders.

"It feels good to be back," Levi said. "It's always a pleasure to represent our country. We know the game that's at stake."

The powerful striker has been utilised as a lone striker in recent times at Eve, but he's also effective as an inverted winger on the right side. Levi said he will be sticking to his strengths in the one-off encounter as there is no time for experimenting.

Most importantly, though, Levi wants to get his mind right for the clash with Fifa's 50th-ranked nation.

"From now, I usually picture myself either scoring or celebrating," Levi said. "I start preparing my mind from now for 90-plus minutes, fighting for every ball. I start seeing myself winning tackles, winning duels, winning everything and trying my best to get the win."

He said he's happy to have his current rhythm, and he said he and his teammates have the opportunity to be the beacon of hope for young men in T&T.

"A lot of people don't know how grateful we are to represent our country. There are a lot of younger guys looking at us for hope and for a way out.

"These types of games and these types of opportunities are what we need to grasp with both hands and try to set the platform right for these guys."

From 4 pm on March 23, Aubrey, Levi and the Soca Warriors will it all on the park as they try to book T&T's first-ever appearance at a Copa America tournament.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #901 on: March 21, 2024, 01:45:00 AM »
Soca Warrior Real Gill saddened over Harpe Place shooting.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

SOCA Warriors striker Real Gill, who grew up at Harpe Place, Port of Spain, is saddened over what happened in his community last Saturday where five people were murdered.

Speaking in a Trinidad and Tobago Football Association video, Gill said, "To be honest I can't say what went on, but it's heartbreaking because I am always outside with those same people...even though they say it's a bad community...they always try to push me to be out here."

Gill is in Frisco, Texas with the Soca Warriors as they prepare to play Canada in a Copa America qualifying match on March 23.

"When I heard the news we were now going training...it real hurt."

Gill said he knew one of the victims well. "It had one who was begging me to leave Trinidad and I was telling him it's not my fault I have not left yet, it is through visa problems, the business. To see that I lose him it real bother me...I could use it as a positive way and say I have someone to make it for now."

Gill, 21, encouraged other young men to find something they enjoy doing and follow their dreams. "I want to tell all my other brothers that it have things outside for us to make it in this life that we don't have to be home. I not saying it in a way that the Harpe is a bad place, it is a real good place too because I miss home. It is plenty fun I have with my friends."

Gill, who was signed by United Soccer League's Northern Colorado Hailstorm FC earlier this year, said there is a lot of "talent" in the Harpe.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 21, 2024, 06:26:16 AM »
Where is the meet up before the game in Texas or even the Friday night lime

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 21, 2024, 10:27:49 AM »
Soca Warrior Real Gill saddened over Harpe Place shooting.

Very close to my neighbourhood of upper Quarry St. Anytime You come down Quarry st., You must  bounce up Observatory street. The Harpe right on the other side. You could  go thru there to get to Renegades. All those who burying their heads in the sand about the violence and self imposed annililation in Afro Trini society should think again.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #904 on: March 21, 2024, 07:05:43 PM »
GREAT IS THE PNM  :D :D :D

Real rubbish, our family is from behind the bridge EDR and we can tell you personally PNM don't give a damn about the Afro-Trindadian society

They care if you are rich....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 22, 2024, 01:15:41 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago no stranger when it comes to breaking Canadian soccer hearts
By Neil Davidson (The Canadian Press)

The numbers favour the Canadian men in Saturday’s high-stakes Copa America qualifier with Trinidad and Tobago in Frisco, Texas.

Canada is ranked 50th in the world, compared to No. 96 for Trinidad. And the Canadians’ all-time record against Trinidad is a commanding 7-2-2.

But the Soca Warriors have broken Canadian soccer hearts before.

On Sept. 3, 2000, before a sun-drenched crowd at Port-of-Spain’s Queen’s Park Oval, Trinidad thumped Canada 4-0 to end its bid to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. Current Trinidad coach Angus Eve provided the final nail in the Canadian coffin, scoring in the 90th minute to complete the rout.

Canada had been dealt a tough hand in the penultimate round of CONCACAF qualifying, placed in a group with Mexico, Panama and Trinidad. And Canada found its back to the wall ahead of the game in Port-of-Spain, having opened the round by losing 2-0 to Trinidad in Edmonton, drawing 0-0 in Panama and losing 2-0 in Mexico City.

The World Cup qualifying elimination, with two games remaining, came just six months after coach Holger Osieck’s team shocked the soccer world by winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

The game was front-page news in Trinidad with fans packing the stadium hours in advance. It was a cultural event as much as a sporting one.

Twenty-four years later, Trinidad midfielder Andre Rampersad is hoping to trigger more celebrations back home.

“If we can get through this game on Saturday, it’s going to be huge for Trinidad and Tobago football, putting Trinidad and Tobago on the map,” he said.

Rampersad, who is captain of the CPL’s Halifax Wanderers, says a 2-1 win over the United States in November was a “big confidence-booster” for his team.

“Going into this game against Canada, of course now we know we can actually beat a big team. So yeah, that’s going to help us, for sure.”

“Everyone is ready to go. Everyone is excited,” he added. “I think guys are confident.”

The Soca Warriors are led by midfielder Levi Garcia, who plays in Greece for AEK Athens.

“He’s a great leader,” said Rampersad.

He pointed to Garcia’s performance in a 6-0 loss to the U.S. last July in Charlotte at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

“Even though we were down and out, getting smashed, he was still trying his best,” said Rampersad. “And that’s all you can ask in a great leader. He’s definitely shown that by example.”

Gacia also makes those around him shine. He set the table for Rampersad’s lone national team goal to date, sending in a low cross that Rampersad flicked home with a nifty backheel in a 4-1 loss to Jamaica that preceded the U.S. Gold Cup defeat.

Canada and Trinidad fell into Saturday’s play-in after losing CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinals to Jamaica and the U.S., respectively.

The Canadians were upset by the Reggae Boyz in November on the away goals rule after blowing a 3-1 lead and seeing the two-legged series end knotted at 4-4. Trinidad was beaten 4-2 by the U.S. despite winning the second leg on home soil.

Making the Copa is considered crucial for Canada, a valuable opportunity to play elite teams as it starts its buildup towards the 2026 World Cup. Plus 2026 co-hosts Mexico and the U.S. are already qualified as Nations League quarterfinal winners, as is No. 44 Panama.

No. 15 Mexico and the 13th-ranked U.S. meet in Sunday’s Nations League final in Arlington, Texas.

The Canada-Trinidad winner slots into Group A at this summer’s Copa America alongside top-ranked Argentina, No. 33 Peru and No. 42 Chile. No. 54 Costa Rica plays No. 78 Honduras on Saturday, also in Frisco, to decided the sixth CONCACAF guest team in the 16-team field.

Saturday’s game also comes with consequences for interim coach Mauro Biello, who is a candidate for the permanent job to succeed John Herdman as coach. Biello has chosen plenty of youth in his 23-man roster, saying a “cultural reset” is needed for the team.

Canada won 2-0 the last time it met Trinidad, in August 2012 in Lauderhilll, Fla. Canada was ranked 79th at the time while Trinidad was No. 80.

The Soca Warriors are coming off a pair of friendlies against Jamaica, losing 1-0 on March 1 before playing to a scoreless draw two days later.

Rampersad is joined on the Trinidad squad by CPL newcomer Reon Moore, a forward who signed with Pacific FC earlier this month.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 23, 2024, 08:43:05 AM »
Where is the meet up before the game in Texas or even the Friday night lime

Budd, I got tickets in section 114, apparently that’s where the Trini Posse is supposed to be. I have a few padnas going to the game and we would more than likely meet up in the parking lot to have a few before we go in.

If you see us, I’ll have on a Trini bandana around my neck…feel free to pull up and have a drink. I’m not sure what’s the scene after the game

GAMEDAYYYYY
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 23, 2024, 02:54:29 PM »
Caught the game from the 30 min mark. We seem to be throwing Canada off with our slower style of play. Goalkeeper looks solid too.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 23, 2024, 02:55:22 PM »
Aubrey and Phillips should have pulled out of those tackles. Unnecessary yellows. Levi would score those chances 9 times out of 10.  We midfield really not on getting forward, Rampersad and Hackshaw staying all the way home. We need to give our players options, we holding the ball because nobody presenting themselves and then is a long ball or trying to shield. Better next half boys

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 23, 2024, 02:58:32 PM »
Angus! Angus! Angus! lol. How come this match ent have its own thread? [looking possible to pull a result so far] ;)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #910 on: March 23, 2024, 02:59:37 PM »
5-3-1-1  :D

Angus having them absorbing pressure with no creativity in the mid and 11 corners..

Eve is rubbish tbh with this formation...

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 23, 2024, 03:55:59 PM »
We had 3 clear chances and missed. Overall good showing. If we finished chances we win that game.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 23, 2024, 03:59:51 PM »
This is to much and we stuck with angus till the end of next year
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 23, 2024, 04:00:29 PM »
Lil damo and what if canada had finsh all their  now ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 23, 2024, 04:04:32 PM »
Anyway we rebuilding still according to.angus

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 23, 2024, 04:13:49 PM »
angus post-match interview come out yet?

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 23, 2024, 04:31:23 PM »
We in good shape for WCQ. We need another quality striker and a central midfielder

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 23, 2024, 05:32:08 PM »
Lil damo  we would be in good shape after we part ways with this coach .

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 23, 2024, 05:38:35 PM »
The performance wasn't too bad. They stayed relevant in the game.

We do look good for WCQ. We need another reliable CDM. Andre was battling hard. The goal scored on his side when he came off.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #919 on: March 23, 2024, 06:25:56 PM »
Everything I have said before, has happened and continues to happen...

People will not wake up..

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 23, 2024, 07:51:34 PM »
If only Levi had cut back to his right instead of shooting with the left! Keeper and defender were committed and he woulda had a easy pass into the goal. Levi make dem skate please!
We relied too much on the opponents poor shooting.
We have to be able to possess the ball.
 Imagine in this day and age we clear a corner and the forward boots the ball up the field to the other team keeper instead of exchanging passes. That is really nonsense ball
That long ball is hard to execute. We had flashes of good play, very good chances. Several times we look like we weren't on the same page. Work that out and we will have a better flowing game.
Raymond had a good game, even though the first goal came from his side. He gave too much of the inside to the winger and he promptly took it. Must never let them cut in

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #921 on: March 24, 2024, 12:29:11 AM »
Soca Warriors' Copa dreams end after 2-0 loss to Canada.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s men’s football team’s dreams of advancing to the 2024 Conmebol Copa America tournament were dashed on Saturday, when they fell to a 2-0 loss to Canada in their one-off play-in match at the Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.

With the winner of the high-stakes encounter earning a spot in group A of the Copa America tournament alongside Chile, Peru and reigning World Cup champions Argentina, a lot was on the line in a physical battle that saw the teams going into halftime scoreless.

As expected, T&T coach Angus Eve set his team up in a defensive 5-4-1 shape, with Shannon Gomez and Andre Raymond operating as wing backs, and the returning Ajani Fortune the closest midfielder to lone striker Levi Garcia on the attacking front. T&T conceded a total of 14 corners in the encounter. But from open play, the Soca Warriors seemed to have a fair measure of the opposing attack as they created few glaring opportunities from the run of play.

In fact, the Greek-based Garcia arguably had the best chance for either team in the first period after being released by a searching Fortune pass in the 18th minute. On his favoured left foot, though, Garcia sent his low shot agonisingly wide of Maxime Crepeau’s goal. Garcia also had a chance to grab an elusive goal for T&T late in the second half, but his spurned first-half effort was his team’s best opening in the game.

With Bayern Munich flanker Alphonso Davies at the heart of the majority of Canada’s play, they tried their best to break the Soca Warriors down with clever combination plays in the final third. Tajon Buchanan blazed an effort over the bar after being teed up by Davies, while dangerous forward Jonathan David curled a right-footed shot just wide of the mark after receiving a pass from the Bayern Munich wide man in the 22nd minute.

Four minutes later, Canadian striker Cyle Larin sent a tame effort on goal after neat play down the left side. David then forced a fine save from Soca Warriors custodian Denzil Smith with a firm drive from long range in the 28th minute as Fifa’s 50th-ranked team threatened to break T&T’s resistance.

The Warriors’ game plan of exploiting Garcia’s pace on the break was evident, and at the half, they could have considered the job half-done.

Just two minutes into the second half, T&T got another good chance when Raymond flashed a left-footed shot wide of the mark after winning possession in Canada’s defensive third.

After surviving a scare when defender Alvin Jones headed a goalbound flick from David off the line in the 56th minute, Eve showed his intentions when he inserted attacker Reon Moore for central midfielder Andre Rampersad.

Just after the hour mark, the Soca Warriors’ resistance in Frisco was broken, though, as Larin calmly passed a left-footed shot into the net in the 61st minute after getting a neat back-heel flick from Ike Ugbo at the end of a right-side move.

T&T made two more changes of attacking intent in the 81st minute when the diminutive pair of Kaile Auvray and Real Gill came on. Gill almost had an immediate impact on the game in the 85th minute when he worked a slick one-two with Garcia down T&T’s right. However, Garcia’s left-footed effort didn’t have the finesse or power needed to get past Crepeau’s big right hand at the far post.

As T&T desperately surged forward in search of an equaliser, Canada’s own substitute, Jacob Shaffelburg, looked to kill off the contest.

In the 87th minute, Shaffelburg had Smith sprawling with a thunderous left-footed shot which cannoned off the base of the post and out. In the first minute of stoppage-time, though, Shaffelburg was bang on target when he drilled an effort into the roof of the net from close range after a rapid counter-attack from the Canadian team.

Shaffelburg’s goal sparked wild scenes among his teammates, while Eve and the T&T contingent saw their dream of going to Copa America 2024 slowly fade away.

Come June 20, Canada will grace the Copa America stage in a duel with Lionel Messi and his Argentina team. Eve’s Soca Warriors will now shift focus to 2026 Fifa World Cup qualifying.

This story has been adjusted to include additional details. See original post below.

Trinidad and Tobago’s men's football team have missed out on a spot in the 2024 Conmebol Copa America tournament after falling to a 2-0 loss to Canada in a one-off play-in match at the Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas on Saturday.

The Soca Warriors team held firm for the opening hour against the Canadians, and even fashioned a couple of great opportunities through their star striker Levi Garcia in either half.

However, Canada got goals from Cyle Larin in the 61st minute and a stoppage-time blast from substitute Jacob Shaffelburg to get the victory and book their spot in the Copa America tournament.

Canada will now join Chile, Peru and reigning Fifa World Cup champions Argentina in group A of the showpiece South American competition.

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago (5-3-1-1): 23.Denzil Smith (GK); 14.Shannon Gomez (20.Kaïlé Auvray 80), 16.Alvin Jones, 17.Justin Garcia, 2.Aubrey David (captain), 6.Andre Raymond; 15.Neveal Hackshaw (7.Noah Powder 70), 18.Andre Rampersad (13.Reon Moore 56), 8.Daniel Phillips; 19.Ajani Fortune (10.Real Gill 80); 11.Levi Garcia.

Unused substitutes: 1.Christopher Biggette (GK), 21.Adrian Foncette (GK), 3.Ross Russell Jr, 4.Jesse Williams, 5.Robert Primus, 9.Nathaniel James, 12.Kevon Goddard, 23.Judah Garcia.

Coach: Angus Eve

Canada (3-4-3): 16.Maxime Crepeau (GK); 4.Kamal Miller, 5.Joel Waterman, 2.Alistair Johnston; 12.Ike Ugbo (14.Jacob Shaffelburg 70), 7.Stephen Eustaquio (captain) (6.Samuel Piette 90+2), 8.Ismael Kone (3.Luc de Fougerolles 90+2), 19.Alphonso Davies; 17.Tajon Buchanan (15.Mathieu Choiniere 80), 9.Cyle Larin (22.Jacen Russell-Rowe 80), 10.Jonathan David.

Unused substitutes: 1.Dayne St Clair (GK), 18.Jonathan Sirois (GK), 11.Theo Bair, 13.Derek Cornelius, 20.Moise Bombito, 21.Liam Fraser, 23.Liam Millar.

Coach: Mauro Biello

Referee: Marco Ortiz (Mexico)

WATCH

Fortune reflects on 2-0 loss to Canada; anticipates future dates with T&T

Canada vs. Trinidad & Tobago: Extended Highlights | CONCACAF Nations League | CBS Sports Golazo

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #922 on: March 25, 2024, 05:48:17 AM »
Warriors star Levi Garcia rues misses vs Canada - Put the blame on me.

SOCA Warriors star striker Levi Garcia took responsibility for the team’s disappointing 2-0 loss against Canada in the Copa America play-in game in Frisco, Texas, on Saturday.

T&T conceded two second-half goals (61st and 90th+1) as they failed in their final chance to qualify for the 2024 Copa America. Garcia has been in prolific form with his club, AEK Athens, in Greece, bagging 13 goals to put his team top of the playoff standings. However, he was unable to replicate his club form on Saturday.

T&T coach Angus Eve employed a defensive strategy to start, with Garcia leading the line with some support from midfielder Ajani Fortune. Garcia had two quality chances to score, one in each half, but failed to ripple the net.

The chance in the first half was a golden opportunity to give TT the lead from a counter in the 18th.

After a neat give-and-go, Garcia was played through on goal, but he struck his left-footed shot just wide of the target with just the goalie to beat.

The second chance, with T&T trailing 1-0 in the 85th, came when Garcia combined with substitute Real Gill and was slipped through on goal, but he failed to get power or direction on the shot, which was easily saved by Canada goalie Maxime Crepeau.

T&T had another good chance to take the lead in the first half when left back Andre Raymond pinched the ball off a Canada player and raced into the box, but his left footer also flashed wide. Garcia acknowledged that he was not clinical in front of goal.

Speaking to TT Football Association media, he said, “I came here to deliver and unfortunately, I was not that sharp today. I took responsibility for those chances and I took responsibility for lots of things because I know what the team expects from me. Hopefully, I can also learn from these mistakes and move forward.”

Any criticism he receives, Garcia said he is willing to accept. “I will take any amount of pressure that I will receive after this game, but what I can say is that I will learn from it and continue to move forward.”

The striker thanked his teammates for their spirit. “Before the game all I asked the guys was to compete and fight. I am really proud of the guys. Unfortunately, the game did not go our way and we have a lot to learn and hopefully in the future we will learn from our mistakes.”

Garcia said the loss will be on his mind for a long time. “This one is going to hurt for a while. I came here just recovering from injury and I made a lot of sacrifices and I came here and I tried my best. I gave everything for the team, but my best was not enough today. The boys’ best was not enough today, but for sure we are going to learn from this and move forward, but this one is going to hurt for a while.”

He asked the fans to not give up on the Soca Warriors. “We are really working hard and we really want them to stay behind us. That 12th man is so important. We have been longing for this type of support for years and what we have been receiving is amazing, and hopefully it could continue and that type of energy could stay positive.”

Soca Warriors head coach Angus Eve said the plan to sit back and counter worked. He was happy with the effort his players showed. “I thought for the most part the game plan went well,” Eve said. “We created some really good chances...I think we acquitted ourselves well and we had some really good chances, we could have scored first. It maybe would have settled us down, but I thought all in all it was a great performance.”

Offline Marcus868

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 25, 2024, 01:04:02 PM »
The performance wasn't too bad. They stayed relevant in the game.

We do look good for WCQ. We need another reliable CDM. Andre was battling hard. The goal scored on his side when he came off.

This coach will never understand the work that Rampy and Daniel Phillips do, its twice he broke up that combination and its twice we got goals. The 3-0 against USA is because he took them both of in the 66th and USA started raining down on us. and again he took of Rampersad this game, that was Canada first goal. This coach is such a waste, he does nothing right to help the national team at all.  :banginghead: :pissedoff:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 26, 2024, 04:56:29 AM »
Play the Soca...pundits call for more attack-minded approach amid defeat to Canada
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

THERE has been a call for Trinidad and Tobago to blend defensive discipline with a more attacking output leading into the CONCACAF Zone 2026 World Cup qualifying campaign, which for the Soca Warriors begins against Grenada and Bahamas on June 5 and June 8, respectively.

This comes amid the lingering disappointment following T&T’s 2-0 loss to Canada on Saturday—the Soca Warriors missing out on a chance to compete at the 2024 Copa America.

Sharing their reactions to Saturday’s game were Brent Sancho, Densill Theobald, and Anthony Wolfe, all members of T&T’s 2006 World Cup squad, as well as coach Wayne Sheppard, who is now with Queen’s Park Cricket Club, having returned home after coaching in Taiwan for a few seasons.

With the objective being to get into the Copa America tournament, former defender Sancho said: “A disappointing result. The performances, in terms of the players, I think there were more positives than negatives. We did have a chance in the first half, maybe if that (for Levi Garcia) had scored things might have gone differently.”

Sancho also noted that the modern game of football had changed and coaches worldwide have to adjust to what is before them on the day. T&T head coach Angus Eve faced the same issue.

“It is always a dilemma as to how you set up to play in these sort of games because if we do set up offensively, some of our better offensive players have defensive liabilities. And if you set up too defensive, sometimes you give the impetus to the other team,” surmised Sancho.

Former national captain Theobald sees no problem with how coach Eve has set up his team.

“I like the direction Angus and the team are going in, meaning I like the way how we are set-up, and you can see that even when we went a goal down, we switched to a more attacking, risk-taking formation,” Theobald pointed out.

“It was just unfortunate we didn’t put away the chance we created in the 17th minute with Levi (Garcia) and then the half-chance we had through Andre Raymond in the 47th minute. That would have made the game much different in terms of result and performance. But, I am very impressed.” added Theobald.

In contrast, QPCC coach Sheppard believes T&T could have been more forward-thinking, and saw the team having had opportunities after going behind. At the same time, that opened up the match for the Canadians as well.

“We could have been a little more brave,” he assessed. “I’m not saying go toe-to-toe with them, but we could have pushed our defence farther forward and won the ball further up the field.”

As to whether there has been improvement in the Soca Warriors. “Have the results shown that?” Sheppard questions, “The jury is still out with that.”

Wolfe, still active and playing for Police FC, believes T&T need to be given more freedom to play their own football, and also that striker Levi Garcia needs to play in a role he is accustomed to. “I think we give these teams too much of respect, because I believe we could have beaten Canada. They weren’t much better than us,” Wolfe opined. “We should play our football.”

Wolfe said that Eve has to strike a balance and blend his philosophy of strong defensive structure, with giving his players freedom to express themselves. Else, he noted, that if his former teammate could not move the team up to another level, he might have to relinquish the reins before World Cup qualifying begins.

“I think he should let the team play. We have Reon Moore and those fellas who are quick. Then, you’re constantly playing Levi Garcia as a striker,” said Wolfe, who contends that Garcia has never proven himself to be a striker, able to play with his back to the goal and holding up the ball.

“He is not that type of player, that is why we will not get the effect he’s giving AEK Athens, because we are playing him in the wrong position over and over again,” argued Wolfe.

“Levi likes to run at you. On the wing, he will get room to run. We need to find a striker who will go up there and play the role of a designated striker and put Levi on the right side. How many games where we played with Levi on top and were successful?”

Should Eve get the added player resources he needs, Theobald believes T&T will continue to improve.

“You can see Angus is learning. He’s improving, and that goes for the team as well,” said Theobald, who believes the current team can get to the 2026 World Cup.

“I honestly believe this is one of our best chances in a really long time, pertaining to World Cup qualification,” said Theobald.

“I really fancy our chances, and I see us growing from strength to strength in terms of Angus and his coaching staff, and also the players too. So, the future augers well for us, in terms of qualification for the 2026 World Cup.”

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 26, 2024, 10:22:13 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago require a new international coach to help their talented players express themselves on the field with an attacking mindset. It's time to bring in a new coach who can instill an attacking mindset in the team and help them unleash their full potential. Let's take the necessary steps towards success and give our players the opportunity to shine.

Offline Marcus868

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 27, 2024, 05:20:35 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago require a new international coach to help their talented players express themselves on the field with an attacking mindset. It's time to bring in a new coach who can instill an attacking mindset in the team and help them unleash their full potential. Let's take the necessary steps towards success and give our players the opportunity to shine.

How do we make this happen? the question is for everyone/ anyone.... what could we do to help our national team? is it that we just content with bashing the coach and TTFA (Which is very understandable and warranted)… but how do we move forward to getting action? Something just to provoke some thoughts this morning.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 27, 2024, 02:51:44 PM »
I don't think Eve is the one, but I don't get our obsession with conflating Trinidad with attacking football.......we have never gone beyond the region perpetuating that fallacy in terms of success........what Eve never showed was a concrete plan to get the ball off the other team......and it was often left to luck.........and after that never seem to have a concrete idea of what to do with the ball when luck granted it to us a lot of the time.........what I have see through recent years, is us look competent and even at times devastating in transition, I don't like passive low block defending.........but I don't think outright attacking football suits us either.......transitional football with a proper plan yo win the ball on the other hand with more of a mid block might be a decent compromise......but yeah dais jus me
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 28, 2024, 11:41:23 AM »
Coach Eve’s approach was too cautious
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: A valiant effort, fellas, proud of you all, but the prize is not for all, and some will win but others must lose.

From the lineup and formation alone, I knew we were going to be ultra-defensive for most of the game. This was a golden playoff, so why go so defensive?

This was not the game to play with the hand brakes on and off. We had chances, but there needed to be more players in the opposition box to create combinations.

Reon Moore should’ve started as a central striker, Garcia should’ve been on the right, Ross Russel Jr should have been the left wing-back.

Goddard should have started as a defensive midfielder – we haven’t lost an international game that he’s played in.

No disrespect to Hackshaw, but this wasn’t the game for him as he was crouched for room in midfield.

Coach Angus Eve made changes way too late. Approaching the half-hour mark, we should have thrown the kitchen sink at Canada.

I get the impression Eve tried to replicate the result when we played the USA. Truth is, he needed to take the gloves off; we tried too hard to walk it in.

We were way too slow in transition, and Canada had the time to retreat into their low block.

Going forward, we need to improve our service to Levi and Moore. Eve needs to acquire a creative midfielder to operate behind the striker, like a John Paul Rochford.

Andre Rampersad needs competition; why not call up Justin Sadoo? He could pull the strings from box to box.

I believe in Eve’s project. We are defensively rock solid. Now we need to develop an identity going forward to get goals and create chances.

Now is not the time for caution, coachman. This is actually our best shot at returning to a World Cup.

I will encourage Eve to adopt tactics played by English club Arsenal FC and take notes on that club’s manager, Mikel Arteta.

The next TTFA executive has to give Eve the moon and everything he needs to bring together an effective World Cup squad.

The good news is, so far, we are cooking something, and it is starting to smell really good!

KENDELL KARAN
Chaguanas

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 28, 2024, 12:50:28 PM »
We're not in a bad place for 2026. I had faith in Angus, but when I seen the substitution for Andre, I knew that would be trouble. Andre is a good battler. He knows how to identify and break up the situations that cause goals.

We were in the game even up until the 80th minute. I sensed that Canada was about to concede.

Angus tried his best. If I was Angus, my wishlist would include:

Another CB (at least MLS level)
Another CDM (at least MLS level)
Another CAM (at least MLS level)
Maybe a left or right back

I was pleased by the play of Shannon Gomez and Andre Raymond. Andre Raymond has good football intelligence. He's in 4th division Portugal. Either he need a new agent or that team must be paying him big. I think he's perfect for an MLS team.

Remember where we were last year around this time. We weren't supposed to get this far. When I seen the competition in the Nations League, I did not think we would make it out of the group. Especially after the Gold cup performance.

Angus is there for another 2 years. If he is to be replaced, who other than Hart do we have in mind? I seen an interview with Hart. He's not coaching now. I'm sure the lines of communication are open.

2026 we coming

1]; } ?>