April 18, 2024, 08:29:15 AM

Author Topic: Copa America Thread  (Read 105398 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Copa America Thread.
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »
stueps
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
Bring on Flaco ...pleaseee!!!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »
I don't think Lavezzi and Tevez starting in this tournament anymore.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
Flood gates may have just opened....ok Messi giwwe a lil solo run nah....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
Why does Higuain miss those easy ones?  Man free and missin the target big and bold.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
Penalty Ref!!!!

But Higuain coulda keep going and take the damn shot.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
This could get ugly for Costa Rica.

Messi running things

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
Argentina is back on track...Woulda like to see Pastore start...but that aside...If a Trinidad U-23 put up this kinda fight against Argentina I'd be very very proud...we reallllll far behind jed....

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
I could pay real  money to see pastore ...de man get so many touches in such a short time ...he is amazing. If batista wants to play like barcelona then pastore must start.  Messi gets more space when he is on the field because he could also run things and the opposition must be wary of him....\
 this was not a stern test but the central defenders read the comments ....even when Argentina  had close to 30 touches the central defenders did not stray like in the last two games. The goalkeeper is trumps but the key now is for the central defenders to play more team defense...covering each other and not this star boy ting of the first two Games ....
Higuain showed just what I had been saying all along ...gets into position and wastes too many chances . Arguero proved that he is the no 1 hitman on this team ...not a bad return for a bencher ...3 goals !

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
Majestic Messi. lard! he could do no more (besides score himself).
He showed he could accept the playmaking role.
Aguero fantastic, yes he throw way, but hey he is a striker in form.
Pastore is a play I would pay to see. Dam!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
Listening to the Argentina anthem was like listening to opera! The press was making a big deal that Messi doesn't sing the anthem-I wonder if he knows it? ;D

The 3 longest anthems are Argentina, Mexico and Italy. They are all long. Probaly more than 30 lines.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
Listening to the Argentina anthem was like listening to opera! The press was making a big deal that Messi doesn't sing the anthem-I wonder if he knows it? ;D

The 3 longest anthems are Argentina, Mexico and Italy. They are all long. Probaly more than 30 lines.

...then I guess you must have only ever heard the shortened version of the brazilian national anthem ?? Check it out ....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2011, 05:09:53 AM »
I eh have time to read the whole discourse on the CR vs. Arg team......ah went and sleep half time.  How de game ended??

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2011, 06:52:14 AM »
Messi showed who is boss . Argentina looked like barca and had Maradona son in law just placed the ball rather than try to buss the net the score would have been 7-0

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 12, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
...then I guess you must have only ever heard the shortened version of the brazilian national anthem ?? Check it out ....

Yeah they's only play the shortened version of Brazil's anthem lol - but that's the case in many national anthems. 

The American star-spangled banner that we're use to hearing is only one of four verses in the full song...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
That's why TT anthemn is the best. Short, to the point and sweet. 11 lines long.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 12, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
well done Argentina

Majestic display trouncing perennial world beaters Costa Rica U 23 squad in the process

Based on yesterday's awesome display of imperial football against a powerhouse Costa Rican Olympic side, the question must be asked.

Is this Argentina team the best team ever to play the game?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:44:53 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
Something wrong in Brazil for sure. Brazil does not seem to have a genuine striker or two and none on the horizon. This is true since the original Ronaldo, began to age. No disrespect to Luis Fabiano, Fred, Pato, and the young Wellington or Lenny, but they are simply not in that class.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
Something wrong in Brazil for sure. Brazil does not seem to have a genuine striker or two and none on the horizon. This is true since the original Ronaldo, began to age. No disrespect to Luis Fabiano, Fred, Pato, and the young Wellington or Lenny, but they are simply not in that class.

Actually, I think it goes beyond the striker thing.

Pato is an excellent striker and you're right, he's no Ronaldo.  But neither was Zico and he did get plenty press in his day.

I think the biggest problem for Brazil is the absence of a true playmaker ever since Ronaldinho left the scene.  Robinho, Neymar etc are all similar.  Wide players with bags of skill and pace....but not playmakers.  Even Kaka is more known for his ability to run past opponents rather than being a playmaker.

When you have the likes of Lucas, Ramires etc being touted as "BIG" players, you know you in trouble.  Yes they absolutely do the dirty work, but there is no one even approximating the likes of a Socrates, Falcao, etc and I believe it's because of a change in footballing philosophy where Brazil now playes to kill you on the counter with pace e.g. Kaka, Robinho, Neymar etc.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »

doh loose faith... marta putting dubbin on her boots to shine for that lame mens team.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

Is this Argentina team the best team ever to play the game?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Argentina:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/bsoqhNzPEaw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/bsoqhNzPEaw</a>

Brasil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC183UcFk34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QC183UcFk34</a>

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »

When you have the likes of Lucas, Ramires etc being touted as "BIG" players, you know you in trouble.  Yes they absolutely do the dirty work, but there is no one even approximating the likes of a Socrates, Falcao, etc and I believe it's because of a change in footballing philosophy where Brazil now playes to kill you on the counter with pace e.g. Kaka, Robinho, Neymar etc.

I agree with that in general when you're talking about in recent years... except that's not really true in this current Brazil set up...Ganso is supposed to be that guy you're talking about - he is a pure playmaker and plays regularly under this system, and has played both games this Copa. He set up both goals against Paraguay... I personally am a fan of his game (could use a little more speed and agression), but in general the jury is still out on his ability to be that world class playmaker.  

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »

I agree with that in general when you're talking about in recent years... except that's not really true in this current Brazil set up...Ganso is supposed to be that guy you're talking about - he is a pure playmaker and plays regularly under this system, and has played both games this Copa. He set up both goals against Paraguay... I personally am a fan of his game (could use a little more speed and agression), but in general the jury is still out on his ability to be that world class playmaker.  

you beat me to it...ganso is a boss for santos, i still waitin for him to make his mark in the seleccao

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

Pato is an excellent striker and you're right, he's no Ronaldo.  But neither was Zico and he did get plenty press in his day.

I think the biggest problem for Brazil is the absence of a true playmaker ever since Ronaldinho left the scene.  Robinho, Neymar etc are all similar.  Wide players with bags of skill and pace....but not playmakers.  Even Kaka is more known for his ability to run past opponents rather than being a playmaker.

Yuh memory gettin short in old age?  Kaka is a big playmaker.  Yes he can run past players, it is part of the way that he makes plays.  He also makes many assists and scores many goals.  That's what playmakers do.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »

Yuh memory gettin short in old age?  Kaka is a big playmaker.  Yes he can run past players, it is part of the way that he makes plays.  He also makes many assists and scores many goals.  That's what playmakers do.

I think Palos talking about a more old school traditional "general"...a dead center, central midfielder.... like a Xavi, Riquelme, Modric, Pirlo type who will kill you with the pass and really take control over the pace of a game... Ganso is that guy in Brazil's current set up.  Kaka is a more modern day play maker who sits right behind the forwards... The deep lying central midfielder pulling the strings between back and forwards is kind of a dying breed.  These days yuh have defensive midfielders doing the dirty work, and withdrawn forwards like Messi, Kaka, C.Ronaldo, Robinho who score goals as much as they make plays...often times as Palos says they take up wide positions on the field and are more focused on taking on players than killing you with the deft pass...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »

as for playmakers I think Brazil have more players with the potential to fill that role. I agree on Robinho & Neymar. Kaka if he ever ruturns to full fitness & given the role, we all know what he can do. Jadson who for Shakta was splendid last season and Ganzo who will need time, are two players that work well together & can deliver the right pass.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
These games are home games for Chile. Moreso it seems than Argentina.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:39:07 PM by Bitter »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
While we reflect on Brazil's playmaker or lack of one . Argentina has, in celophane wrap, the Pink Panther ...Javier Pastore. There crowd had to bring him on in the last game ....with ..." Flaco...Flaco ..."  before this tournament ends everyone will have heard of " El Flaco " and I am sure batista will see the light soon.

Just as messi is Diego's copy ...Flaco is Riquelme's copy ...with speed. as a huge Riqueme fan it is so good to see the artistic footballer find a place and space in modern football. It is the way the game is envisaged ...pure artistry and style. Players like Zidane, Lara, Sobers, Michael Jordan, riquelme, Pele, Maradona ...are who make sports what we just cant resist.
I believe we are seeing another player who wants to show that the game of  football  is  more artistic than athletic .... Poetry in motion ... El Flaco is the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpJw6fvoO8&feature=related

1]; } ?>