March 28, 2024, 10:11:11 AM

Author Topic: Copa America Thread  (Read 104651 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Copa America to be played in U.S
« Reply #570 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:53 AM »
At the rate we are, I am very doubtful we can qualify for that.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »
Thinking that the other 4 teams out of CONCACAF may either come out of WC qualifying or Gold cup tournaments.

Dont think you can use the caribbean or central american tournaments on their own as that excludes canada with the opportunity to get in.

How you think the other 4 teams should be chosen?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 25, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »
I remember when this would have been most welcome news circa 2005. Now I don't expect us to be one of the top four teams in Concacaf and further, I fraid the embarassment if we manage to get in.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
dem spanish smart. it have enough ah dem in the usa now to make more money from copa america in yankee dollar.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4UI02FZZ9c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p4UI02FZZ9c</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 25, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
qualify to do why?

get licks like peas ..... best to not be involved.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 25, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Greetings to all, in the name of Allah. Sorry, no dis, ah not trying tuh mash up de thread, ah just happen tuh jump on dis one and post about de boat show. Ah does hardly be on de forum, so excuse meh, cuz ah doh really have time time tuh read de threads completely. However, ah in de Bahia Mar hotel on Ft Lauderdale beach, Fl, fuh de boat show. Now yuh know yuh boi doh lie, ah have some cash, but ah not in dat yacht category. Any way, ah know some body, dat know some body, wid dat kind ah money, so yuh boi here, wid one other Enterprise member, we rubbin shoulders wid these millionares  ;)  ;D. Make ah long story short, ah was like ah lil kid when ah came tuh de front desk earlier, there was a white gentleman giving out free samples of Carib in cups. Sorry, if ah behind time wid how far Carib reach, but ah felt real proud tuh see meh local beer on show at a million dollar boat show in Florida, so ah had tuh come and post. Ah mean, it is not an event at Joy's roti shop yuh know, is ah boat show wid some white folks here dat have serious cash. When ah log off here, ah going and tell de man ah from T&T and hold some small talk wid him  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:28:26 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
whattttt    i hope dey have games near my city, if not i will just have to make a road trip.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 25, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
SUPA..... ah beer is ah Carib ................ Look Trinis doh have any high hopes of us qualifying for this tourney. Anil will make sure that don't happen.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
CONCACAF TO JOIN 2016 COPA AMERICA COMPETITION
« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
REPORT: CONCACAF TO JOIN 2016 COPA AMERICA COMPETITION
TSN.ca Staff
4/28/2014 8:16:34 PM

Text Size
The Copa America Centenario is heading north.

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF have scheduled a press conference for Thursday in Miami where it is expected that both federations will confirm that the 2016 edition of the Copa America will be held in the United States and CONCACAF will be represented.

Along with the 10 South American members of CONMEBOL, the US and Mexican national teams and four other CONCACAF squads, are expected to participate in a 16-team tournament.

The 2016 edition of the tournament is its centenary. The first edition, in 1916, was held in Uruguay. Uruguay are the current holders of the title, having defeated Paraguay in 2011. Uruguay has won the competition a record 15 times.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Conmebol and CONCACAF join to play COPA America????????
« Reply #579 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »
Copa America Centrario
10 Teams from South America
USA
Mexico
1 Team from Central America
1 Team from the Caribbean
2 Teams from 2015 Gold Cup

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
I say US and Mexico, plus semi finalists from Concacaf Gold Cup, depending on timing of tournament.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
Will this actually raise our standard of football or will it serve to show how much behind we are? If our standard right now is below Grenada when it comes to  qualifying out of all the Caribbean countries for the Gold Cup and if we cannot get up to standard to  do better in WC qualifying, how will we strive to make  gains in a  more competitive expanded zone?
It will definitely raise our standard just look at Venezuela we used to be far ahead of them now look at them,we cant touch them at this time.The thing is it wont do anything bad for our boys they can only learn from playing superior opposition.
I am talking about the late 50s to maybe mid 60s,prior to the 60s their sport was baseball,Caribbean football was touring England in those years.I have to believe that if we (TT)had played Venezuela around late 50s,or early 60s we would have beaten them.I know somewhere in the records,it shows we beat Argentina,60s i think,during those years Venezuela was't involved in football,that is why I say we were ahead of them,I was talking about the time i specified.I respect your knowledge Deeks,and if you can say otherwise...I'll go with that.

Frico, I eh sure about that one. Venezuela was the doormat of Conmebol. TT was never better than Venezuela in football.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 03, 2014, 07:26:25 AM »
I think the current group under SH should be able to qualify for the tournament. Caribbean cup should be the top priority given what is at steak, of course the other top caribbean teams Jamaica, Haiti and Cuba will all be thinking the same. On our day we can beat any of those. Gold cup is more of a wild card, and more depends on who you play early like USA, Mexico, Costa Rica or Honduras.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 03, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S98dnoxGrNc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S98dnoxGrNc</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 03, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
What has happened to Shaka's accent? Has it always been so?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 03, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
That is his TV accent. When he talking to you he will give you his Trini accent.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:01 AM »
where is the official article?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 04, 2014, 03:04:32 AM »
dat is why day buller frico needs to stick to floral arrangement and hop scotch and tiddly winks 

lol ok we get it - yuh doh like the fella... Doh chain up no thread derailment nuh...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be great to play in Copa A. if we could qualify - Win or lose, I real missing the days of looking forward to T&T playing in proper competitions...
dat is why day buller frico needs to stick to floral arrangement and hop scotch and tiddly winks 

lol ok we get it - yuh doh like the fella... Doh chain up no thread derailment nuh...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be great to play in Copa A. if we could qualify - Win or lose, I real missing the days of looking forward to T&T playing in proper competitions...
Dont worry with truetrini he is still working on his random intelligence. ;D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2014, 02:01:26 AM »
Hart: Copa qualification great but no priority
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

T&T’s senior men’s national team may enjoy a one-time opportunity to participate at the Copa America, for its milestone 2016 tournament, but head coach Stephen Hart has insisted that focus is primarily on the Caribbean Cup itself.

An agreement was reached recently between key officials of Comnebol (South American confederation) and Concacaf, which resulted in an opportunity for six teams from the latter confederation to participate at the 2016 Copa America.

That edition will mark the 45th edition and the 100th anniversary of the inaugural South American cup. All ten Comnebol teams will participate, as will host USA and Mexico, along with four other Concacaf teams, one of which will qualify from the CFU Caribbean Cup, the Copa Centroamericana (Central America) and two from the Gold Cup.

“The aims and objectives of the Caribbean Cup has not changed for T&T; the objective remains to qualify,” said Hart.

T&T needs to qualify for the Caribbean Cup by finishing among the top two teams in the four-team second-round group. The CFU qualifiers take place between October 6-13. The Caribbean Cup finals will take place in Jamaica from November 9-18. A top-four finish at the Caribbean Cup will seal 2015 Gold Cup action for T&T, while a win in the regional tournament will see T&T qualify for the 2016 Copa America.

“The fact that the winning team will play in the Copa America is an added bonus and incentive. Obviously, the experience of playing in such a high profile tournament can only serve to enhance the experience of both players and staff.”

Asked if qualification to the Copa America will be given similar priority to the World Cup qualifiers, Hart replied, “I am not sure that this is a priority. I believe it will be a one-off experiment. The World Cup qualifiers remain our primary long-term objective and we should never lose focus of this fact.”

Turning his attention to T&T’s June 4 friendly international against Argentina, Hart said, “we are extremely hopeful to have a short camp for approximately eight days before departure. We had planned for one international game within that camp period. Unfortunately, that won’t be a reality.” The squad, which for the first time includes former England youth team and current League Two-based defender Gavin Hoyte, was named on Tuesday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Copa America 2015
« Reply #589 on: November 25, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Copa America Thread
« Reply #590 on: November 25, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
Predictions:
Arg vs JA : 10 - 0
Urg vs JA : 5 - 0
JA vs Par : 0 - 4

Any questions feel free to send me a pm :)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 25, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
Predictions:

Hehheh. I hope you are wrong. But I recall Jamaica betaing the likes of Uruguay and Paraguay with ease up to ten years ago. And even Argentina we have had some good results against (save for that 5-0 mauling Batistuta and Ortega put on us in France'98

Argentina
Jamaica vs Argentina last game two years ago in Mar Del Plata took an injury time winner from Martin Palermo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpszd4_egM

Paraguay
I was at the office for this game in 1999, I was around 24/25 at the time
31/03/1999, Kingston (Jamaica), 25,000
JAMAICA  3-0 PARAGUAY Marcus GAYLE       5', Theodore WHITMORE 37', David JOHNSON     47'

and also this one in 2003
JAMAICA  2-0 PARAGUAY [HT 2-0] Darren BYFIELD  13', Richard LANGLEY 30'

Uruguay
FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL
18/02/2004, Kingston (Jamaica), 27,000
JAMAICA 2-0 URUGUAY [HT 1-0] Onandi LOWE 10', Jermaine JOHNSON 82'

Jamaica used to be a decent team back in the day...we have fallen off badly since France'98
http://www.rsssf.com/tablesj/jam-intres-det2.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:11:39 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
 ;) Go man! Make the Caribbean proud, wish JA all the best.

Edit: I think JA can possibly get some key draws here, all these games are in USA so there is a very good chance the support for the reggae boyz will be strong.. It's is still a very tough group especially against Uruguay and Argentina. A draw against Uruguay and win over Paraguay could get you guys in second spot!

I am just very worried about the discipline of this particular JA team, but they have alot of time to sort things out these games. GL.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:57:57 PM by SWO_TNTFAN »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 25, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
Predictions:

I think

Edit: I think JA can possibly get some key draws here, all these games are in USA so there is a very good chance the support for the reggae boyz will be strong..

I think you are mixing up Copa America Centenario (2016) with Copa America 2015. This is for the 2015 Copa in Chile next summer. The groups / qualifiers for Centenario hasnt been determined yet.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 26, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »
Yea I did. Good for JA though! And it will help you guys in the Centenario because of the experience in the Copa. I will be watching for sure via Deportes

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »

Edit: I think JA can possibly get some key draws here, all these games are in USA so there is a very good chance the support for the reggae boyz will be strong.. It's is still a very tough group especially against Uruguay and Argentina. A draw against Uruguay and win over Paraguay could get you guys in second spot!

I am just very worried about the discipline of this particular JA team, but they have alot of time to sort things out these games. GL.
these games take place in chile not usa and though jamaica will take beating the experience would be priceless. have to admit im jealous.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
URUGUAY

Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray/ Turkey) - Martín Silva (Vasco da Gama/Brazil) - Rodrigo Muñoz (Libertad/ Paraguay).

Defenders: Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica/Portugal) - Gastón Silva (Torino/Italy) - José María Giménez (Atlético Madrid/Spain) - Diego Godín C (Atlético Madrid/Spain) - Sebastián Coates (Sunderland/England) - Álvaro Pereira (Estudiantes/Argentina).

Midfielders: Mathías Corujo (U. de Chile/Chile) - Jorge Fucile (Nacional/Uruguay) - Álvaro González (Torino/Italy) - Carlos Sánchez (River Plate/Argentina) - Egidio Arévalo Ríos (Tigres, Mexico) - Guzmán Pereira (U. de Chile/Chile) - Nicolás Lodeiro (Boca Juniors/Argentina) - Cristian Rodríguez (without a club) - Giorgian De Arrascaeta (Cruzeiro/Brazil).

Forwards: Diego Rolan (Burdeos/France) - Jonathan Rodríguez (Benfica/Portugal) - Edison Cavani (París Saint-Germain/France) - Cristhian Stuani (Espanyol/Spain) - Abel Hernández (Hull City/England).

Players cut from the original 27:

Camilo Mayada (River Plate, Argentina)
Walter Gargano (Napoli, Italy)
Matias Aguirregaray (Estudiantes, Argentina)
Emiliano Velázquez (Getafe, Spain).

Squad started prep on Monday.

Upcoming activity:

Friendly v. Guatemala on June 6 in Montevideo, Uruguay
Tournament debut versus Jamaica on June 13 in Antofagasta, Chile.
 ... versus Argentina on June 16.
... versus Paraguay on June 20.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:17:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 27, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
PERU

Goalkeepers: Pedro Gallese (Juan Aurich), Diego Penny (Sporting Cristal), Salomón Libman (César Vallejo)

Defenders: Luis Advíncula (Vitória Setúbal, Portugal), Jair Céspedes (Juan Aurich), Christián Ramos (Juan Aurich), Pedro Requena (César Vallejo), Hansell Riojas (César Vallejo), Yoshimar Yotún (Mällmo, Sweden), Carlos Zambrano C (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany),

Midfielders: Josepmir Ballón (Sporting Cristal), Paolo Hurtado (Pacos de Ferreira, Portugal), Carlos Lobatón (Sporting Cristal), Edwin Retamozo (Garcilaso), Joel Sánchez (San Martín), Carlos Ascues (Melgar), Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina, Italy), Christián Cueva (Alianza Lima).

Forwards: André Carrillo (Sporting de Lisboa, Portugal), Jéfferson Farfán (Schalke 04, Germany), Paolo Guerrero (Corinthians, Brazil), Claudio Pizarro (Bayern Múnich, Germany), Yordy Reyna (RB Leipzig, Germany).

Cut players:
Cristian Benavente (Real Madrid, Spain)
Rinaldo Cruzado (César Vallejo)
Alexander Callens (Real Sociedad B, Spain)

Upcoming activity:

Friendly v. Mexico on June 3 in Lima, Peru.
... versus Group C tournament opponents Brazil, Colombia and Venezuela.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 28, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
Diego Godín has said that the opener versus Jamaica will be Uruguay's most difficult match.

(Meanwhile, Walter Gargano, despite expressing support for his teammates, has taken his frustration (regarding exclusion from the squad) to social media. Likely a bitter pill to swallow after being part of the 2010 and 2014 WC teams and the 2011 Copa America winning squad).

From having eight players on the first day of camp (Monday) ... six of whom did no work with the ball ... the technical staff now have 12 players in camp.

Still to arrive:

Muslera, Silva, Silva, Arévalo Ríos, González, Sánchez, De Arrascaeta, Lodeiro, Stuani, Cavani and Rodríguez.

1]; } ?>