March 28, 2024, 03:11:52 AM

Author Topic: Copa America Thread  (Read 104623 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Copa America Thread
« Reply #660 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
Chile 3 Mexico 3: Vidal stars as hosts are held
FourFourTwo.com

Chile played out a 3-3 draw against Mexico at the Copa America after a starring display by midfielder Arturo Vidal.

Vidal netted a brace, and set up Eduardo Vargas, as Chile twice came from behind before then giving up a second-half lead.

Vicente Vuoso struck twice for Mexico and Raul Jimenez also scored, with the hosts denied a winner by two close offside calls - including Alexis Sanchez appearing to be on when he netted.

Chile top Group A on four points, while Bolivia (4), Mexico (2) and Ecuador (0) are behind them.

It was a cagey opening in Santiago, with neither the hosts nor their opponents able to create much in the opening exchanges. But the game came to life in the 21st minute.

Chile were caught outnumbered in defence, and it led to Juan Carlos Medina squaring for Vuoso to scramble in the game's opening goal. Jorge Sampaoli's men responded almost immediately through Vidal.

Charles Aranguiz's corner found the Juventus star unmarked near the penalty spot, and he buried his header into the bottom corner. The goals continued to come and Mexico retook the lead just before the half-hour mark. Jimenez got on the end of Adrian Aldrete's corner, somehow directing his header into the corner to put Mexico 2-1 up. But, once again, Miguel Herrera's men would be pegged back.

This time it was Vargas with a header, getting on the end of Vidal's cross in the 42nd minute to level the contest at 2-2. Just 10 minutes into the second half and Vidal's brilliant outing continued. He looked to take a Sanchez pass inside the area but was clumsily brought down by Gerardo Flores after taking a touch, earning a penalty. Vidal stepped up and sent Jose de Jesus Corona the wrong way, scoring his second spot-kick in as many games.

Jorge Valdivia rifled in a 64th-minute strike, but it was ruled out after Vidal - who knocked down the header - was ruled offside in a close call. Chile would rue that moment soon after as Vuoso equalised.

Aldrete put Vuoso in behind and he made no mistake with a smart hooked finish past the onrushing Claudio Bravo.

Valdivia had a shot go inches wide after wonderful build-up play that finished with Vidal laying off to him on the edge of the area as Chile pushed.

Sanchez thought he had scored the winner with 10 minutes remaining as he tapped in a Mauricio Isla cross, but the flag went up once more as no winner was forthcoming for Chile.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
Jamaica goalkeeper heads ball off attacker, it bounces into his goal

https://vine.co/v/eeEWluZlErM

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
Schafer rues 'crazy goal', demands new ideas in attack
FourFourTwo.com

Winfried Schafer lamented a "crazy goal" in Jamaica's 1-0 Copa America loss to Paraguay, but said his side had to improve their abilities up front.

Duwayne Kerr came out to deal with a long ball from Paraguay's Victor Caceres, the goalkeeper's headed clearance going straight at the awaiting Edgar Benitez - and the ball deflected off the attacker's thigh and looped back into the unguarded net.

Schafer claimed his side had good enough chances to equalise, but conceded they needed to find a better system up front prior to their World Cup qualifiers in August and September. "Two matches and no goals for us, you can see our problem," Schafer told a news conference. "We lost against Uruguay via a free-kick, we lost today due to a crazy goal. "Our strikers have to move to give more options for the midfielders, defenders ... I hope I find a team that can play like this against Argentina.

"This tournament is for us to find a very good team for the qualification matches in August, September."

Schafer hinted his side might have to take a leaf out of conquerors Paraguay's books, as Ramon Diaz's men played several corners short in a bid to meddle the Jamaican defence.

"We have many free-kicks in the first half, and corners," the German coach said. "Only one situation was dangerous for Paraguay - we need more surprises with our free-kicks, new ideas, not every time the ball has to go towards the goal [face]. "I hope, in training, we can discover a new idea against Argentina."

He added: "The second half was the same as our first half against Uruguay. "When you want to play in a high level, at a Copa America, you have to always play 100 per cent, fighting.

"First half, we didn't play good football."

Jamaica take on Argentina in Vina del Mar on Saturday.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
Argentina 1 Uruguay 0: Aguero decides tense local derby
FourFourTwo.com

Argentina bounced back from their draw with Paraguay to overcome arch-rivals Uruguay 1-0 in a tense encounter at the 2015 Copa America.

Sergio Aguero's second-half header separated the two sides in La Serena, Chile, and gave Argentina victory to take Gerardo Martino's side to four points in Group B after they started the tournament with a 2-2 draw.

After his team surrendered a two-goal lead against Paraguay on Saturday, Martino would have been pleased with how Argentina ground out a result at the Estadio La Portada de La Serena, although the 52-year-old coach had to watch almost an hour from the stands. Martino was sent off in the 33rd minute, seemingly arguing a yellow card against Uruguay's Nicolas Lodeiro was too lenient.

Although Argentina produced more chances, Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez should take some positives from his team's performance, as they had a handful of genuine opportunities to score. Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan was the most profligate of the Uruguayans, missing three top chances, including his blaze over the bar from inside the box with 15 minutes remaining.

The win took Argentina into second position in Group B on four points, only behind Paraguay on goals scored, while Uruguay (3) sit third ahead of Jamaica (0).

After a tight opening to the game, Argentina generally had the better of the first half. Angel di Maria produced the first genuine chance but shot straight at Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera. Aguero forced Muslera into a stop down low with a header in the 26th minute, while Uruguay tested their opponents aerially as well.

Rolan had two good chances to score, failing to get his head on a cross in the first instance, before glancing an effort wide at the half-hour mark, while Diego Godin also had an opportunity from a corner. But neither side could breach the opposing defence until Aguero's effort after the break.

Javier Pastore found a pocket of space on the right in the 56th minute, releasing Pablo Zabaleta on an overlapping run and the Manchester City full-back whipped his cross to the near post, where a diving Aguero provided the final touch past Muslera.

The rest of the second half descended into a collection of fouls, scuffles and yellow cards as Uruguay became increasingly frustrated, with Rolan's miss after Sergio Romero parried a drive into the forward's path not helping their mental state.

Rolan almost redeemed himself with two minutes left but his header from a corner was cleared off the line, while Romero was forced into a top save to deny Abel Hernandez soon after.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 18, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
Does Neymar have the maturity to wear the captain's armband?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 18, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Arturo Vidal remains in Chile squad because of Jorge Sampaoli's loyalty
Tim Vickery (ESPNFC).

Chile's man of Monday became the twit of Tuesday.

"Arturo alarms Chile," read the headline on one of the nation's major newspapers Wednesday morning. Arturo Vidal, the two-goal hero of Monday's draw against Mexico and the current Copa America top scorer, had been involved in a car accident. Driving back to the team's training complex Tuesday night, he crashed his Ferrari. He sustained only light wounds, while his wife was a little more badly hurt. The article concluded that Vidal had been taken for routine tests, but the worst was yet to come.

Later, police said Vidal was driving with 1.2 grams of alcohol per litre of blood in his system -- which equates to a blood alcohol content of 0.12 -- and therefore faced the loss of his driving licence and the possibility of a prison sentence of between 61 and 540 days. A full investigation will be carried out over the course of the next three months.

"I had a couple of drinks," he said in a prepared statement. "Then I had the accident that everyone knows about. I placed at risk the life of my wife and of other people. I am deeply regretful. I would like to apologise to my colleagues, the directors and to the entire country. I'm going to give my all so that we can be champions."

Vidal was assuming that he will be allowed to continue playing in the Copa America. But earlier in the day it was seen as a real possibility that he might be dropped from the squad. It seems that coach Jorge Sampaoli met with Sergio Jadue, head of the Chilean FA, to discuss the case. It was clear that Sampaoli did not want to lose one of his most important players.

"He made a mistake, which is not so serious to exclude him," said Sampaoli in a news conference. "I don't think that we should exclude someone for making a mistake." The coach looked a little uncomfortable when he was reminded that he had previously dropped midfielder Charles Aranguiz for oversleeping, but the circumstances are different. That was for a friendly match. This is in Chile's Copa America, one of the most important moments in their footballing history. It is the time when Chile go into a competition with a real chance of winning something at last.

Sampaoli is showing loyalty to someone who has been loyal to him. The coach recognised that Vidal put his career on the line last year, rushing back prematurely from a knee injury to play in the World Cup. And Sampaoli is also being loyal to a player who is a fundamental part of his plans. Last year Vidal was clearly short of 100 percent fitness. Now he is firing on all cylinders, coming up with imperious moments on the field that live up to his nickname of "King Arthur."

His other nickname is "Celia Punk," as he is a fan of Celia Cruz, and he sports a Mohawk and a rebellious spirit that is part of his strength as a player. But he can overstep the limits, both on the field and off it. He has been involved in a past incident playing for Chile when he and a few teammates broke curfew to celebrate the baptism of Jorge Valdivia's child. And, as Wednesday morning's hearing revealed, he also has a record behind the wheel, of speeding and not obeying traffic lights.

Since Vidal is 28 years old, Sampaoli has the right to expect more from one of his senior players. "I can't keep them cooped up in the training camp all the time," said the coach. But if this tournament were being played anywhere else, the players would not have the same freedom of movement because they'd be traveling on team buses.

Sampaoli has been worried all along about the pressures of being the home side. He considered preparing his team in Spain and bringing them home on the eve of the competition, keeping them away from the local hype for as long as possible -- a plan that was abandoned in early May. One problem that he probably had not imagined is that one of his best players would get behind the wheel of a Ferrari after "a couple of drinks".

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Not yet IMO....but I read the coach gave him the armband so he can show more maturity.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
Not yet IMO....but I read the coach gave him the armband so he can show more maturity.

Yeah, I agree he isn't there yet ... but as I consider it more, 2018 is three years away, and with the armband for three years he could/should grow to embrace the role. Tournaments like the Copa America, and (as is Dunga's bet) the Confederations Cup, are grooming on the job. However, when I look at Messi with the armband and I look at Neymar with the armband, I see a disparity ... and Messi is still growing in the role.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:37:51 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 19, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »

Yeah, I agree he isn't there yet ... but as I consider it more, 2018 is three years away, and with the armband for three years he could/should grow to embrace the role. Tournaments like the Copa America, and (as is Dunga's bet) the Confederations Cup, are grooming on the job. However, when I look at Messi with the armband and I look at Neymar with the armband, I see a disparity ... and Messi is still growing in the role.

You're right, I think Dunga's plan is to groom him into the role. Despite the red card, I applauded his maturity when speaking to reporters afterwards. He took the responsibility for his actions and did not shy away from the questions so maybe it can be a learning experience and step in the right direction.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 19, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
With that being said, he's suspended for the rest of the tournament, 4 games.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
Chile playing some good ball.  They could real knock boy.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 20, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »
With that being said, he's suspended for the rest of the tournament, 4 games.

He gets a four match ban for on field conduct. Vidal gets to keep on balling for off the field conduct (however bear in mind consequences have flowed for off the field conduct in the past). Good thing Suarez is banned from this tournament.  :devil:

Expect more drama as we get into the elimination rounds.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 20, 2015, 10:44:31 AM »
Any online links for the matches?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 20, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 20, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Go Jamaica!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 20, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
Jobi "better I beg him for his shirt at half time before these vultures swarm him" McAnuff.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
Go Jamaica!

Steups!!
 In the words of BigMagician " f....k Jamaica"

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 20, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »
Jamaica did well. Originally I was indifferent about their participation in the copa but after Cavani's comment it struck me that maybe most of these nations really look down on football and people in the region. So I was happy that they did OK but not too good. They were representing caribbean football over the last 2 weeks.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 20, 2015, 08:16:58 PM »
Jamaica did well.

Well, they never got blown out in any of their games. But over all three of them they only managed 2 total shots on goal.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 20, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
Jamaica did well.

Well, they never got blown out in any of their games. But over all three of them they only managed 2 total shots on goal.
yuh talking ass go check yuh facts.....

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »

Really?  did you expect Jamaica to rain goals on Argentina's accomplished backline?  Jamaica is two or three good attacking players away from being a decent international team.   I put it to you to Jamaica would do much better against the weaker teams at the tourney, Bolivia, Ecuador etc.  Credit to Winfried Schaeffer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:40:17 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 20, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
Jamaica did well.

yuh talking ass go check yuh facts.....

Here are your facts, straight from the tournament's official website:

Against Uruguay - 0

Against Paraguay - 1

Against Argentina - 1
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 21, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »
Here are your facts, straight from the tournament's official website:

Against Uruguay - 0

Against Paraguay - 1

Against Argentina - 1

I suppose you were expecting the likes of Darren Mattocks, Giles Barnes, Deshorn Brown etc to waltz into the Copa America and dominate world class defenders like Zabaleta, Demichelis, Mascharano, Diego Godin etc. You expected these same strikers to out-shoot and outscore Higuain, Cavani, Tevez, Di Maria, Messi?

I suspect you might have been expecting 6-0 and 5-0 scores for Jamaica against these teams before the tournament started.

VS Uruguay
Jamaica had 48.3% posession,
5 corners (they had 2)
19 total crosses (they had 15)
394 total passes (they had 435)
10 Total shots - they had 11 (including shots blocked or off target)

VS Paraguay
Jamaica had 46% posession,
3 corners (they had 7)
16 total crosses (they had 15)
348 total passes (they had 417)
5 Total shots - they had 15 (including shots blocked or off target)

VS Argentina
Jamaica had 30% possession, Argentina had 70% :o 
5 corners (they had 7)
16 total crosses (they had 21)
255 total passes (they had 719  :o )
5 Total shots - they had 19 (including shots blocked or off target)

Good effort from the Africans Jamaicans, something to build on for the Gold cup and good experience for the coach and players.  They had a disciplined tournament, i see 0 red card or suspensions...take that Neymar :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:05:12 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 21, 2015, 05:19:27 AM »
i must confess i admire your players and their total commitment to their national colors. somehow i wish you could transfer that to our boys who is plagued with the prima donna syndrome particularly kenny jones and peltier. your defense was very organized and your midfield speedy in transition, and if we had a player like mc annuf and austin we would be a totally different team. and yes that kid kemar lawrence is going place what a wonderful defender.  you guys will do well in the gold cup with this team, maybe even win it.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
i must confess i admire your players and their total commitment to their national colors. somehow i wish you could transfer that to our boys who is plagued with the prima donna syndrome particularly kenny jones and peltier. your defense was very organized and your midfield speedy in transition, and if we had a player like mc annuf and austin we would be a totally different team. and yes that kid kemar lawrence is going place what a wonderful defender.  you guys will do well in the gold cup with this team, maybe even win it.

If the players respect the coach and his philosophy he brings, the commitment will come naturally.  Early days yet, but I believe that the players have bought into the coaches overall philosophy and vision...similar to what you had under Beenhakker, and what Jamaica had under previously under Simoes. Otto Pfister I believe also was a good coach for T&T.

If you are going to use an international coach, it must be one that appreciate the people and the culture of the nation. I believe Winfried has a genuine appreciation for Jamaica and its culture. I hope he sticks around and sees out his contract with the JFF.

https://twitter.com/WinniSchaefer

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:57:10 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
RF don't worry with Zeppo there is obviously more to a game than stats show. I watched the Uruguay and the Argentina games and even though the Jamaicans did not have many shots on target they had the ball in threatening positions. They lacked the final pass. And Zeppo i know you think the US is a football superpower but even if the USA brought their A squad to the Copa America they would be going home in the first round. I would have them collecting 2 draws vs Uruguay and Paraguay and a loss to Argentina. As much as you think the US is superior they also tend to bunker in big tournaments vs big teams. This wouldn't be a glorified friendly, in official games the US game plan is totally different.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
is Robinho I seeing dey?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »