March 28, 2024, 06:16:46 PM

Author Topic: 70,000 reasons to win Republic Shield  (Read 864 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
70,000 reasons to win Republic Shield
« on: July 07, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
70,000 reasons to win Republic Shield

Saturday, July 7th 2007

TWO hundred teams registered for last year's annual Republic Bank Youth Football Tournament and organisers expect much more in 2007 after giving them 70,000 reasons to capture the Republic Shield title.

The tournament was launched at Republic Bank, Park Street, Port of Spain, on Wednesday when it was announced that a new four-team Special Olympians category will kick off the tournament at nine a.m. tomorrow, at Casuals Corner, Queen's Park Savannah.

The tournament also caters for seven other categories, including boys and girls teams between the ages 12 to 17 years.

This year, the competition runs from July 8-August 4 and will see teams vying for more than $70,000 in prizes, as well as 12 scholarships valued $200,000 to the week-long Republic Bank football camps which the sponsors host twice annually.

The tournament will be held at venues throughout Trinidad and Tobago, kicking off on July 15 at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, while other venues and competition dates are: Presentation College, Chaguanas (July 21); Guaracara Park, Pointe-a-Pierre (July 22); Eddie Hart Ground, Tacarigua (July 28); Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima (July 29); and the Palo Seco Recreation Ground (August 1).

The grand finals of the tournament take place on August 4 at the Queen's Park Savannah.

Prizes will be awarded for the champion team and runner-up in each category and there will also be incentives for the Most Valuable Player, Most Disciplined Player and Most Promising Player.

-Ian Prescott

Warrior For Life !!

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: 70,000 reasons to win Republic Shield
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »
yeah i remember i tear up dah leagur back in the day.... it was so long that i forget i think it was U12 or something like that got Most goals award and my team did not even make it to the final...
All American

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: 70,000 reasons to win Republic Shield
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:51:24 AM »
Springer leads talent at youth football camp

Footballer Mervyn Springer of Trincity has been singled out as a bright prospect for the future.

The son of former Queen’s Royal College left-winger Neil Springer has been one of the outstanding players at the halfway stage of the third Republic Cup Youth Football Summer camp on the Republic Bank Sports Club grounds in Barataria.

“His whole attitude and willingness to train has been outstanding,” said Colin Skeene, co-ordinator of the coaching staff.

“He has the ability and fortitude to go further once he wants to,” said Skeene. “It’s all up to him. He will run his heart out for you.”

Young Springer who is a student of Trinity College East, said he was enjoying the camp.

“I am learning new things which will obviously help me in the future,” said the youngster. “My goal is to play professional football in England.”

Also singled out among the 60-odd participants were Adrian Noel and Shantel Roberts

Noel, 17, of Diego Martin, is plays in the midfield, while Roberts, 16, is a goalkeeper.

Noel is said to be a player who kicks with both feet, has plenty vision and an excellent touch.

He is also a good team player.

Roberts who plays for Real Dimensions, is from St Joseph Road, East Dry River.

She said she also loves to play outside but feels more at home between the uprights.

Skeene said that he and the other coaches have seen a tremendous improvement in the attitude of the players.

He said: “After three days I have seen some of the players with a bad attitude change. I am now seeing them conform in a positive sense.

“Our hope is that at the end of the camp each player takes what they have learnt back to their clubs and schools and areas where they live.”

The camp will conclude today.
Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>