March 28, 2024, 09:21:13 AM

Author Topic: Colin Rocke  (Read 10435 times)

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Colin Rocke
« on: August 10, 2005, 08:14:18 AM »
do anyone have contact info. for colin rocke? email or phone #
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 09:27:33 AM by Tallman »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Colin Rocke
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
Office: 504-736-0368
E-mail: colin@riversideindoorsoccer.com
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »
it have anything that tallman ent know????
mistakes are stepping stones to success

jusme

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 01:20:12 PM »
it have anything that tallman ent know????

Tallman,

what is the capital of carpet?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
I stumbled upon this gem of an interview within the hour. It's mandatory reading for any aficionado of T&T football. Not sure if it is reproduced elsewhere on the forum but my search didn't produce it. Also not sure when this interview took place ... anyway, iz only when ah get to the end ah realize maximum respect should go to poster VB b/c he's the man responsible for the content and interview. Big up, VB! Thanks, eh.

Between a Rocke and a hard place:TT player good enough for Santos and MLS but not the TTFF

In the Summer of 1983 Trinidad & Tobago hosted the U-16 CONCACAF Championships. At the end of the tournament, football in TT was never the same again.

Unknown schoolboys had wowed the nation with their poise and skill, making it all the way to the finals, only to lose to the US on penalty kicks. However, names such as Russel Latapy, Marvin Faustin, and Clint Marcelle would have an indelible mark on the national game for years to come. There was one other player, who had created an equal impact on the nation; a young left Forward by the name of Colin Rocke.

Rocke would graduate to the National U-19 team, and eventually the TT B team, during the famed Strike Squad years of the late 80s. Then strangely he seemed to fall off the face of TT Football.

TTFF President, Oliver Camps, has constantly stressed during the last decade, that the Federation has been looking at players in the US, at College level, A League and MLS level.

A bemused Rocke, finds it difficult to understand how they've failed to call him. "Camps is so stupid. For four years I was an All American. I won almost every award you could imagine. Two times we (West Virginia Wesleyan University) won the national Championship. The other occasion, we lost on penalty kicks. I went to the Collegiate World Cup in New Mexico, and was selected amongst the top eleven players in the world. So it's not like they didn't know about me."

Left footed, skilful, strong and willing to play

However, the man who once turned down an opportunity with Santos of Brazil, had been approached, albeit indirectly. He explains that about a year ago, Stern John, who at the time was still playing the MLS, told him, that (then) National Coach, Bertille St. Clair was interested in him. St. Clair was interested in Rocke playing left Back or Left Midfield. "I would go, but I want them to want me to come. I want the Coach or the TTFF to call me. If they offer me a stint in relation to the team, I would go for that."

At age 33, he has no doubt that he can still contribute to team TNT. A powerfully built individual, a left footer blessed with natural speed, he has played professional football for the last seven years. In terms of individual skill, you would be hard pressed to find a player from TT who could be called his superior.

He has won national titles with the MISL. First with the Dallas Sidekicks, and then with the Las Vegas Dirt Devils. He's also turned down offers from Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Dallas Burn, in the MLS. He had a one year stint in the German Second Division, with Wolfuburg, who made it to the Bundesliega the following year. He played with the New Orleans Gamblers (97-98), and the New Orleans Storm (98-99), and then played with the Charleston Battery in 1999/2000. He's made it to the Combine on a regular basis, and captained the A League All Stars. "I have matured, I think quicker, I run constantly," he says.

Yet although he was good enough to catch the eye of the legendary Pele, and the Pearl's old Club Santos, he has never attended a national practice session during the last decade.

During the Christmas season he returned to Trinidad. He played a couple of games, scoring a huge tally of goals. His old Saints Coach Hayden Martin was very impressed. "He told me that people like Dwight Yorke and Russel Latapy are no better than me; 'You could stand out, just as you did with the U-16s.'"

I can play left forward, midfield, or Left Back. Trinidad needs left footed players. I'm always training, I'm in shape. But I don't know why the TTFF doesn't want me. Maybe it's because I'm from CIC (otherwise known as St. Mary's College, one of the top high schools in the nation). Rocke says that from his first days with the U-16 and U-19 teams in TT, he always felt different because he was from a prestige school. "You have to understand that some of these guys came from schools like San Fernando Technical Institute, or Arima Senior Comprehensive...this was their ticket out. You could tell that they and the Coaches knew this. When you come from a school like CIC, your vernacular, your sentence structure is different from theirs. Sometimes the Coach would say, 'OK, lets talk about something, other than Football. We would ask the group questions, and if you ask them questions about Physics or Chemistry, they couldn't answer.You have different options in life. ...When Shaka Hislop got cut from the U-16 team, I was the only CIC boy there. You got the impression that the other fellas thought, 'Oh well, he think he smarter than us....Sometimes you would hear comments. Like on the field, (you'd hear) 'CIC fag.' As a Trini you expect jokes. However, you could always feel a little bit of anxiety."

A year ago, Rocke heard from another TT footballer, Chris Charles that TT was having a trial in North Carolina.. They were willing to look at locals in the US. Rocke was amazed that Charles was going, simply because another player told him about the trials. "You mean you going, and they didn't even ask you to go," was his response. "I was an All Star in the A-League and they didn't even ask me to come. It drives me crazy not being able to try out for Trinidad. But I won't go unless they ask me."

Is it possible that years from now Rocke may regret not making a greater effort to be part of the national set up? "No," was his swift response. "I respect my ability. I respect myself and what I've done for TT and Soccer here in America. If they (the TTFF) want to bring me home - good. If not, I'll stay here and play pro. I've done a lot for TT (football), and I was disappointed not to be called on to play for them. I could go, Oh Mr. Warner (Warner is TT's FIFA VP, and a "Special Advisor" to the TTFF) let me play for TT? But no. After all I've done, and being a professional player, they should want me."

The day Santos came calling

Now how in the world does a young Trinidadian turn down an offer to join Santos of Brazil? Rocke explains that they were trying to take advantage of him. He was being offered less money than in the MISL, and the club was going to benefit on the endorsements. Francisco Marinho, a former Brazilian team mate of Pele's, had seen Rocke, and had shown Pele a video tape of him. Pele was excited about the young College prospect, because in terms of style and the way he ran with the ball, he reminded him of the Pearl himself. Another factor to be considered, was that Rocke was just a few subjects away from getting his degree in Marketing & Economics. Deciding that he was young and there would be other opportunities, he finished his degree.

During the last year, he's tried to follow the national team; watching games on TV or tape. He's not impressed with TT's present style of play. "TT doesn't have a brilliant defence, but we have a solid attack. You should use it to your advantage." He adds that TT has a number of talented players, that in terms of   "pace, size and technical ability could match any team in CONCACAF." He does not believe that constant use of the long ball is the way for the national team. TT should use their natural skills in the midfield to dictate the game. The constant use of the long ball is too one dimensional. You must control the midfield. "If you can't control the midfield, you're in trouble," he added.

"I'd like to see us use three up front: Stern John, Jerren Nixon and Yorke. Put Latapy to control the midfield, with four solid Defenders behind him. In addition have two wide players that love to run and go up and down the lines, but are capable of defending in the midfield. We should also have two good wide attacking wing backs. A 4-3-3 system. A  4-4-2 system could work, with the players defending when they have to."

There is no doubt in his mind that he could assist in the midfield, up front, or as a Left Back, an area that (left foot lacking) TT could do with some help. This is his first year, not playing as a full time pro. He was offered a very lucrative deal to Coach an exclusive High School in New Orleans. He however, plays part time with two minor league teams in the city.

During his years with Charleston and the New Orleans Gamblers and the Train, teams such as Dallas and the Tampa Bay Mutiny in the MLS showed and interest in. However, the money was less than he was making in the A League. He captained the A League All Stars (1997), and was regularly invited to the Combine. The Combine, is a camp for the best A League players, who are given a chance to showcase their skills for the MLS. "Do you know what they (the other players) were calling me at the Combine? Roberto Carlos!"

Rocke stresses that one of TT's greatest set backs is a lack of continuity with the younger players. When they have a bunch of talented youngsters, nothing is done to keep them together, and groom them for the national team. There must be an effort to keep the U-16s and U-19s together. He believes the biggest ingredient lacking in local players when playing for the national team is "pride." He adds that players should want to play for TT simply because of the pride factor. "My country needs me. That's all it would take for me to get up at 5:00 a.m. and run five, six miles a day."

He criticizes the TTFF for not adequately seeking talent in the US. "They think if you not playing in Europe, you're not any good. Look at Shaka (Hislop). My University beat Howard (whilst Hislop was their Goal Keeper). I scored twice.
However, they didn't look at him, until he was playing in England." Rocke added that he has seen some marvellous local players in the US in terms of technique and skill, but no one in TT is aware of them. "I see a player and I think my God, look at his ability and pace. He could play in Europe, but he's not motivated. Nobody knows he's here. Why aren't they looking for these people.?"

He firmly believes that the way forward for TT is with a local Coach. "Do you realize that the best Trinidad has ever done is with local Coaches? ...Gally Cummings and Roderick Warner (Warner was killed in TT in 1994) were great Coaches. Cummings understands players. We (The TT 89 WC team) got far because of his personality. He was a player's Coach. He related to the players, and was willing to let their natural ability come out." Rocke added that local Coaches understand the players. "You think Brazil would hire an international Coach? You think they can understand the Brazilian players?" Rock explained that Gally and Glen Archibald were two members of TT's historic 1973 WC qualifying squad. Robbed against hosts Haiti (in the CONCACAF tournament), Trinidad scored five goals only to have four disallowed and lose 2-1. The Referee and one of the linesmen were banned for life. It's Rocke's belief that these two individuals should be given charge of the national squad. Let them work with the national team and come up with a plan.

An unforgettable era

No discussion with Rocke would be complete without mentioning that glorious U-16 team of 1983. The youngsters exhibited a standard of skill that did not seem possible from ones so young. Their play was simply breath taking. The dribbling of Rocke, Latapy and Marcelle had made them household names in the country before the tournament was even over. It was obvious to all, that they were watching budding Superstars of the future. The loss to the USA in the final was a tragedy for the locals. A packed National Stadium watched TT bamboozle the Americans with their dribbling ability. In an exciting contest both teams hit the bar. When TT failed on penalty kicks, it was an eerie experience watching twenty five thousand odd people shuffle out of the stadium - with out a sound.

However, the team had left their mark on local fans. Rocke describes that time as "an incredible experience, that I will never forget." He continues, "I was fifteen years old, I remember the first day of school at CIC, as I entered  the entire school was congregated on the bannisters and the centre court, the students and the Teachers were applauding. I had never felt anything like that. It was like - thanks. Oh my God. I was a hero to the school and the country. It was overwhelming. The respect I got from the Teachers and kids alike it was a great feeling."

Rocke has a tape of the U-16 final. "It still brings tears to my eyes. The little things we could have done and won. The quality of the players we had...."

Three years later, the core of the U-16s were representing TT in the CONCACAF U-19 tournament. TT beat the US 1-0 to record their first ever youth win over that country. However, they were hammered by Canada, and missed out on a berth to the World Youth Cup. Canada and the Americans managed to secure the first two spots in the round robin final. Rocke explains that the problem vs. Canada was their size. The Canadians were playing with pure nineteen year olds. Some of the TT players were 17, Rocke himself only 18; Sheldon Bennete, a youth standout had been brought up from the U-14 squad, and he was being knocked around. Rocke explains it was always going to be difficult for boys 16/17 against 18/19 year old players. "At nineteen, you're turning into a man," he emphasised. TT lost the first game 5-0. "We physically could not stop them. We fought hard in the second game and lost 3-0. In the second game, we just did not create good opportunities."

Rocke is still mystified, as to why the likes of Latapy, Marcelle, Faustin and Charles were able to make a quick transition from the Youth team, to the Senior team and not him. "I consider myself on the same level as Latapy and Marcelle. ...Marcelle's whole game is based on speed; to get the ball around you, and run past you. Clint and I use to race all the time in the U-16s. I use to beat him. He would lead for most of the way, and then I would catch him. I would win some and he would win some. I was a lot more versatile. I could play up front, left, right, and Midfield. He was strictly a Striker. However, I guess what stood out for a lot of Coaches and people was his flair." Why then did Rocke, as brilliant as he was have to wait, and bide his time on the B team? "I guess they didn't respect my abilities as an U-16."

Latapy, Hislop and Yorke

Of all his U-16 team mates Rocke says: "I had more respect for Russel Latapy. He had a different intellect as far as football was concerned. His reading of the game was better than the rest of us. His technique was impeccable. He was very different, what he lacked in size, he made up for with pace and strength.

In practice I would knock him off the football regularly. I thought this guy won't make it past the U-19s, because of his (lack of) size. He had the smallest foot in the U-16 team. His foot was a size five. However, nobody struck the ball as cleanly as he did."

Shaka Hislop played with Rocke from the U14s up to the U-19s. They also played for Saints together. "I think he's the best Goal Keeper I ever saw," said Rocke. "He has natural instincts for the game. He can also dribble at people. He could play like an outfield player. We had some extremely talented 'Keepers in the U-16s, Ross Russel, Anthony Clarke and Shaka."

What about Dwight Yorke?

"I think he's a very lucky guy. But I give him credit, he's really improved since he went to England. In TT I thought he was good, but not that good. I thought Russel Latapy was better. I still do."

David Nakhid was one of my idols

Some have suggested David Nakhid should return to the TT fold. Many believe not only can he contribute on the field, he can also be an asset as a Coach. Both men attended St. Mary's College, and played for Saints in the eighties. "David Nakhid was one of my idols when I was in High School. I started playing First Eleven Football when I was in Form II. I remember one day I went to CIC grounds for training. I was early, the team hadn't arrived yet. However, David was there. He had on a sweater, a hood, long sleeves and sweat pants - and he was jumping rope. I said 'yuh don't think it kinda hot for that.' He said to me: 'You're a little boy, but when you grow up you'll realize how important being physically fit is to this game.' Do you know I would get up at 5:30 a.m. to run because of what he said to me." Rocke adds that after school, he would then run from CIC, up the Saddle Road of Maraval over the hills to Santa Cruz; covering the distance in approximately an hour. To those not familiar with TT's Geography, this is a distance of ten odd miles, half of it consisting of undulating hills.                   

Brian Lara, a childhood friend

One of Rocke's childhood friends from Santa Cruz was a pint sized fellow by the name of Brian Lara. " I was very close to Brian. I use to be in his house all the time. His brother use to coach our Youth team."

Rocke believe that Lara had a future as a footballer. As a youngster Lara had been a member of the National U-12 team. One of his team mates was a Tobagonian named Dwight Yorke. However, Rocke explains that Lara was an extremely small fellow. "It's only in the last few years, that he started to get some height. His father thought he would be too small to play football, and told him to focus on cricket; he would have a better future.

"He was one of those guys, he was different. Like Shaka or Latapy, you could see he had a natural instinct for the game."

A player to kill for

These days Rocke is an aspiring Coach. Last year, in addition to playing with Charleston, he coached a High School team, and a local girls' U-16 squad, winning State titles with both of them. The High School has  enticed him to forgo Pro ball this year, and Coach full time. He recently achieved his B license. However, he still finds time to play minor league football in Charleston, and is thinking of playing semi-pro in the Summer.

Those who did not see Rocke play in the eighties and nineties missed out on one of the truly great talents to come out of TT. When he says he considered himself on the same level as Marcelle and Latapy, it's not ego talking; neither is it an exaggeration.

Powerful, blessed with an abundance of speed, left footed, and the ability to play a number of positions, this is the kind of player most teams would kill for.  Curiously, it would seem the TTFF did not share this opinion.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
Rocke sounds entirely too full of himself.  A bit of humility probably would have allowed him to recognize opportunity for what it is... instead of waiting for people to lay out the red carpet for him.

Brings to mind the well-known parable about the priest and the flood waters... jeep comes by and he declines a ride... waiting on God.  Water rises and a boat comes by... he declines... waiting on God.  He's on the roof now and a helicopter comes by... he declines... waiting on God.  Needless to say he dies and goes to heaven vex with God for not saving him... failing to recognize that three times God sent someone to help him but he was to set in his ideas to recognize the help when it presented itself to him.

Opportunity passed Rocke by and ah bet he still bitter that the TTFF never "came to him".

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
I know Colin well since he and I were at CIC together.  A more skillful and talented youth you would not hope to see.  It brings to mind the biblical parable about talents. He is about 40 now and to have all that football talent come to nothing is a shame. That interview is a inferiority complex masking itself as a superiority complex.  Another youth that I think of also is Kona Hislop. Injuries were not kind to him but when I see Kiko Machaeda for Manu a 17 year old boy and I remember Kona at that age and what he could be if he was growing up in this era.  Absolutely was a terror on Colleges league in the 80s. It is almost 20-25 years ago since the yorke/kona era and CL has not produced a player remotely of that calibre.  Fast skillful leftfooted with a wicked bullet. Ah memories.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »
I know Colin well since he and I were at CIC together.  A more skillful and talented youth you would not hope to see.  It brings to mind the biblical parable about talents. He is about 40 now and to have all that football talent come to nothing is a shame. That interview is a inferiority complex masking itself as a superiority complex.  Another youth that I think of also is Kona Hislop. Injuries were not kind to him but when I see Kiko Machaeda for Manu a 17 year old boy and I remember Kona at that age and what he could be if he was growing up in this era.  Absolutely was a terror on Colleges league in the 80s. It is almost 20-25 years ago since the yorke/kona era and CL has not produced a player remotely of that calibre.  Fast skillful leftfooted with a wicked bullet. Ah memories.

Yeah I remember Kona well... wasn't it him and this white fella (Stollmeyer?) who was tearing it up for CIC back then?  Also, Kona played college ball in the US as well, no?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
whaT A GREAT READ
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »
Kona went Syracuse and then transferred to Howard.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 06:44:09 AM »

Yeah I remember Kona well... wasn't it him and this white fella (Stollmeyer?) who was tearing it up for CIC back then?  Also, Kona played college ball in the US as well, no?

Don't think it was Stollmeyer. During thos days, CIC had  afew really good teams and Fatima (where I went) actually had some bomb squads as well I think the late eighties were the last time when CIC, Fatima and QRC had top rivalries coincide with being at the top off the college's league table. As ar as whte players at CIC around then, you had Daragh Moze, and Gavin Moze (starter after Shaka went to college in the US)..Kevin Moze was now breaking through. There were others, but I think it is the Mozes yuh thinking about back then.

The last (and only) Stollmeyer I could think o played during my time in the early nineties for Fatima. I sure someone for CIC could corect meh if I'm wrong. Up until the early nineties, Fatima and CIC had far more white, and mixed players than you see today, so I am sure I'm forgetting some.

As for Rocke, I understand he was talented, but I can't understand why he feels so entitled when he really didn't have that great a career after college. He honestly doesn't come across as someone who loved the game that much. Passed up way too many opportunities for club and country hoping to have a bess situation just fall into his lap. Of course, I doh know the man, so who knows. Good read
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:04:28 AM by Filho »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 06:46:02 AM »
kona now works for a UK management agency...he actually is wayne Ronneys personal assistant...read that in Rooney's book
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:57:34 AM »
Hi Bake n Shark- Please get your facts corrrect- The parable is about an old man and flood waters. Priest dont climb roof, the cassock would get in the way.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:17:49 AM »
This is a really excellent read.

But i do sense a level of cockiness that he should not be too proud to display.  Excellent point Bake and Shark.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
Rocke was definitely talented had all the right tools.  In all my dealings with him did seem like he real like heself but hey the fella was damn good.  But in the end nice fella self confidence and he was damn good
What a team- latas with the big fro and oversize jersey reaching he knees
marcelle dancing shaking man eveywhere embarassing defenders
Rocke speed with nuff beat too-1 time hit a USA man spanner through he legs clean yes and the defender had to have been at least 4yds away.
Faustin solid lockdown wing back. 

Bakes Filho could be right but i believe it was GATT who with Kona had a year score real goals.
Kona went Syracuse and transferred to Howard U.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »

Don't think it was Stollmeyer. During thos days, CIC had  afew really good teams and Fatima (where I went) actually had some bomb squads as well I think the late eighties were the last time when CIC, Fatima and QRC had top rivalries coincide with being at the top off the college's league table. As ar as whte players at CIC around then, you had Daragh Moze, and Gavin Moze (starter after Shaka went to college in the US)..Kevin Moze was now breaking through. There were others, but I think it is the Mozes yuh thinking about back then.

Yeah but they weren't strikers. Kona used to pair up with Jason Gatt before he left. And when Kona left, Colin's brother Jason take over. Rocke and Gatt was a bess combination. Gatt strong and tough and Rocke fast and nimble.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
vb did an interview with him on the old board, maybe flex or tallman can retrieve it :beermug:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »
Yorke is the boss.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 09:16:49 AM »
Quick question: Name a striker who isn't full of himself?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Thnks Asylum,

The interview was posted in March of 2001. Scroll to the bottom you'll see it, along with a photo of Rocke in TT.

The article can be appreciated better if read on the actual page.

http://caribsport01.homestead.com/football.html

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »

Probably Gatt....though I think Gatt was few years after Kona.

My memory of those days is blurred.

Edit: Sorry JDB- didn't see this post:

Yeah but they weren't strikers. Kona used to pair up with Jason Gatt before he left. And when Kona left, Colin's brother Jason take over. Rocke and Gatt was a bess combination. Gatt strong and tough and Rocke fast and nimble.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:58:10 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »

Nah it wasn't the Mozes... but thanks for the clarification  :beermug:

Hi Bake n Shark- Please get your facts corrrect- The parable is about an old man and flood waters. Priest dont climb roof, the cassock would get in the way.

injunchile, it's a parable, how can there be FACTS?

At any rate the version I've always heard is that of the priest... wouldn't be surprised if there are variations.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »

Yeah..I know, but I didn't think Bakes necessarily meant forwards...you could tear it up in mf like Darragh and Kevin Moze. I remember Gatt too, but thought he came after Kona. I remember him really making a name for himself after Kona left as the star man up top for Saints, then after he left it was Jason Rocke. My memory off those days lil blurred. When Gatt left, Saints seemed to have some seriously talented forwards then....and the transition was boss if I go by what JDB saying. Imagaine young Kona playing with Collin Rocke, then  break out when Rocke left, only to help Gatt break out. Then Gatt end up partnering and helping Jason Rocke. Not bad. Used to hate Gatt. Mash up Fatima a couple times. Had a real all action style to him..and he used to have long hair which was quite rare back them...give him a kinda wild man finish. heheh
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:07:44 AM by Filho »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »

Yeah..I know, but I didn't think Bakes necessarily meant forwards...you could tear it up in mf like Darragh and Kevin Moze. I remember Gatt too, but thought he came after Kona. I remember him really making a name for himself after Kona left as the star man up top for Saints alongside Jason Rocke. When Gatt left, jason then came into his own. Siants seemed to have some seriously talented forwards then.and the transition was boss. Imagaine young Kona playing with Collin Rocke, then  break out when Rocke left, only to help Gatt break out. Then Gatt end up partnering and  helping Jason Rocke. Not bad. Used to hate Gatt. mash up Fatima a couple times. Had a real all action style to him..and he used to have long hair which was quite rare back them...give him a kinda wild man finish. But he and Jason were deadly opposites for real.

Quite possible that I confusing different periods as well, the fella I thinking of used to play cricket for Saints as well.  Quite possible he may have been before Kona's time as I really just used to follow whatever appeared in the Express, never in person at games etc.  Gatt's name has a definite ring of familiarity to it though.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »
all of allyuh is just old men who cyah remember sh!t from just de other day....

:rotfl:

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
all of allyuh is just old men who cyah remember sh!t from just de other day....

:rotfl:

Lol... ent?

But really it doh help that these exploits took place some 20-something years ago... and that these are men some of us ent even think about since dem times.  At least dai's my excuse, lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »

At any rate the version I've always heard is that of the priest... wouldn't be surprised if there are variations.

haha I eh think he's referring to what exactly took place in the parable as the fact, but more the truth/accuracy regarding how the well-known parable goes (or is supposed to go if it really matters)...If it's anyone he would know  :D

I haven't heard the version where the guy is a priest, but the lesson remains (though with a bit of added irony lol)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »

haha I eh think he's referring to what exactly took place in the parable as the fact, but more the truth/accuracy regarding how the well-known parable goes (or is supposed to go if it really matters)...If it's anyone he would know  :D

I haven't heard the version where the guy is a priest, but the lesson remains (though with a bit of added irony lol)

Well, what can I tell you... maybe the Catholics have their own version because that's how it was relayed to me by two different priests in two different countries a decade apart.  You would think they would know too... but maybe they borrowed the story from the Anglicans and changed it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:43:14 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »

Well, what can I tell you... maybe the Catholics have their own version because that's how it was relayed to me by two different priests in two different countries a decade apart.  You would think if it's anyone they would know too.

Cool, I hear you...I wouldn't doubt that it's told differently here & there...though the way I see ole brains struggling to remember the name of "de white fella" who used to strike with Kona, lol.... who's to say that the minor details of a parable couldn't get mixed up in the rust of blurred memory as well... 

:beermug:  :beermug:

... but maybe they borrowed the story from the Anglicans and changed it.

Or the other way around   ;)  who knows?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:53:06 AM by kicker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »
I was lucky enough to play against him in an alumni game two years ago and that man still have it! De man even buss net from de by-line in the upper left corner.....I well expecting a cross then next thing you know is goal in we hole......Tallman can you tell me my credit score? Since you happen to know everything that deals with facts and figures  ;D

1]; } ?>