April 23, 2024, 05:15:29 AM

Author Topic: Fighting for a cause.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fighting for a cause.
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:49:25 AM »
Fighting for a cause.
By: Fazeer Mohammed (Express).
[/size]

No, Jack, no!

What was the purpose of the latest tirade against the blacklisted players?
To warn the South Korea-bound under-17 squad that, in time, they could suffer the same fate if they ever felt they were too big for their boots and had the unmitigated gall to question the football administration?
By all accounts, Sunday's function at the Centre of Excellence was intended to be a tribute to the team who defied the odds by earning a place at next month's FIFA Under-17 World Championships, thanks to a battling victory over hosts and arch-rivals Jamaica in the decisive final game of the qualifying tournament in Kingston more than a month ago.
Since then, those history-making young men must have been walking on air as the enormity of their achievement sunk in. The dream of representing Trinidad and Tobago on the world stage has become a reality so early in their international careers that there may be the concern about them getting carried away with the achievement and believing that they are more than just servants of the Football Federation or, more specifically, its special adviser.
There's no chance of that now after the performance by Jack Warner.
Whatever praises and accolades offered to them would have been mere token gestures compared to the more fundamental message that the FIFA vice-president, CONCACAF boss and de facto supremo of the local game should never, ever be challenged unless the intention is to join the lengthening list of prominent individuals who have been either debarred from national duty or the domestic scene, or branded with that ever-popular tag of "persona non grata".
It is difficult to see how this collection of young players, so eagerly looking forward to the task ahead of them, would not have been intimidated more than encouraged by Warner's outburst. What is especially reprehensible is the manner in which this most influential football official can so flippantly belittle players who were hailed by the entire country, including Warner himself, as national heroes just a year ago.
As the man at the very heart of the alleged agreement for the sharing of World Cup profits between the TTFF and the players, he has every right to defend himself from what he may perceive to be baseless accusations. But surely, surely, making a whole heap of noise about the situation at an occasion that should have been about heartening encouragement and positive reinforcement of the under-17s is entirely inappropriate.
Keep in mind that some of those players dismissed as "mercenaries consumed by greed" or "the Soca Warriors of yesteryear" who "will never play for this country again" are probably heroes and exemplars in the eyes of the majority of the young squad. Will their opinions of Shaka Hislop, Stern John and others take an about-turn on the basis of Warner's cutting remarks, or will they now wonder if they may one day also suffer the same fate if ever they felt compelled to protest any form of injustice meted out to them by the game's administration?
Given the attention span of young people in general, it is unlikely that most of what was said at the Centre of Excellence on Sunday would have caused the under-17 players any sleepless nights since then. But, then again, you never know if one or two in the group might have taken it all in and realised that the sooner they can land decent contracts somewhere outside and get to hell out of this madhouse called T&T football, the better for their careers and long-term livelihoods, even if the country has to suffer for their absence.
Again, it all goes back to our obsession with personality cults in almost every sphere of public life. In creating these larger-than-life individuals on the basis of their achievements, wealth or influence, we have made them exempt from the rules that govern the rest of us. It is as if we firmly believe that one of the perks of such a status is being a law unto yourself.
This is the really sad part about it all. It is not so much about what Warner or any other prominent public figure says or does, but the ease with which the society tolerates, defends or forgives any indiscreet conduct purely on the basis of who they are. Even those who are troubled by this situation will take the position that it makes no sense to strike a discordant note because they will be shouted down by the rabid followers anyway.
There is no meaningful progress to be made in an environment governed by the personal whims and fancies of an anointed few, or as in football's case, one. Systems and structures, procedures and protocols are the pillars upon which any successful, progressive organisation is built. Yes, as with anything else there must be room for flexibility, but the governing principle should be that no man, or woman, is bigger than the organisation.
By taking a lag in the blacklisted players' tail at an occasion where there was no need to even go there, Warner has again demonstrated that his firebrand, confrontational modus operandi will not be tempered by considerations of tact and propriety.
As uncomfortable as it is to consider, the really unfortunate aspect, however, is that there is no concerted will to effect change, simply because we like it so, even if it means our under-17s are left wondering if they too will one day be blacklisted for standing up for a cause.

-fazeer2001@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:52:09 AM by Flex »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting for a cause.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
 :applause:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:01:05 AM »
Very, very good commentary.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »
very good article fazeer...i like how u didnt mention anytin bout cricket in it like u prone to do

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »
Fazeer a day late and a dollar short is only now Jack u commenting on JW pleezeeeeeeee
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »
Fazeer a day late and a dollar short is only now Jack u commenting on JW pleezeeeeeeee

Do your research, Mohammed may ot be a Liburd (mainly because I suspect he has no axe to grind) but this is not the first time he has criticised Jack nor talked about the impass. And that is more you could say about 90% of sports journalists in TnT
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »
Nobody in TNT in Liburd class. That being said if Fazeer and dem was serious the blacklist would ah be front page news. Plus on friday on mN is suppose to be sport. is only when Jack and dem come back Andy Johnson Not Fazeer who spoke about the blacklist issue. So Fazeer again I say a day late and a dollar short.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
Please inform what axe that Liburd have to grind because apperently you in France have more info that me in TNT?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »
Please inform what axe that Liburd have to grind because apperently you in France have more info that me in TNT?

I'm not suggesting Liburd has an axe to grind. The only thing I notice is that he was a virtually anonymous journalist until he became categorized as the "Jack Warner Hatchet Man" Liburd has obviously  written many articles that have nothing whatsoever to do with JAck, but since he gets his props on his courageous stance and incisive investigation, he now has to continue to ride that line to keep his popularity.

Simple logic, I'm not knocking the man or anything; I actually wish there were more like him.
Fazeer on the other hand has  always come across as someone who tries to not SOUND biased (when he's talking about football at least) (NB I'm not syaing he isn't or that Liburd is),, which makes for articles that are less cutting.

In other words, let me put it this way. If you want to liken both of them to calypsonians Liburd is like Sugar Aloes - he will win the people's choice because he has no probems ruffling feathers. Fazeer might be more of a Chalkdust, and a lot less popular because he refuses to so obviously take sides; he might even be accused of toeing the line by quite a few.
At the end of the day, everyone writes differently. Not everyone is a Liburd, and not everyone is a Fuentes either (thankfully) Black and White thinking is what leads to civil war...

Finally I don't know what me being in France has anything to do with it. I base my simple humble judgement on the articles i read, same as you. Unless you have personal information (you being in trini and all) about the article writers' - which in my book shouldn't enter into the equation - that says otherwise, I stand on my assessment. I have read earlier articles, where Fazeer alludes to and criticizes Jack Warner's penchant for destabilizing anything that might escape his control. I'm just saying you may want to read them before assuming that he's a 'day late'. Considering how little press this whole issue has got in TnT you might want to incite those who hold their tongue to talk rather than lambasting one of the few who talk for not cussing strong enough...

ps: Fazeer doesn't decide what makes front page in TnT, and believe it or not, there are other things in life than football...

Peace Out

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »

ps: Fazeer doesn't decide what makes front page in TnT, and believe it or not, there are other things in life than football...

Peace Out
I was here thinking that he doh decide which of his articles even gets printed...let alone where they end up in the newspaper.  He ent his own editor.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »
Liburd eh no Aloes Liburd is bout facts not like Aloes who sing bout dragon on the red house that Robbie put when we all know it dey since King hatchet was a hammer.

Fazeer is a fair weatherfriend and while he cyah put it on the front page the back page would be nice. The press except Liburd do like the blacklist is a figment of our imagination.

Not that it go make the TTFF do any different but at least do some home worek or be lzy and read the site and get the facts.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 05:06:08 AM »
Liburd eh no Aloes Liburd is bout facts not like Aloes who sing bout dragon on the red house that Robbie put when we all know it dey since King hatchet was a hammer.

Fazeer is a fair weatherfriend and while he cyah put it on the front page the back page would be nice. The press except Liburd do like the blacklist is a figment of our imagination.

Not that it go make the TTFF do any different but at least do some home worek or be lzy and read the site and get the facts.

From some of your other posts, you already make it clear you don't like the man. I  ent here to convert nobody

For anybody else who interested, here are some of the other articles where he criticizes JW/TTFF

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=3448.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=9870.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20353.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=21627.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=27913.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28103.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28500.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28731.0

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 09:17:29 AM »

From some of your other posts, you already make it clear you don't like the man. I  ent here to convert nobody

For anybody else who interested, here are some of the other articles where he criticizes JW/TTFF

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=3448.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=9870.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20353.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=21627.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=27913.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28103.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28500.0
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28731.0

I realize from jump that Weary have something against de man...because none of his arguments are rational.  The man has a responsibility to not sound like a shill for the anti-Jack camp and that's what he decides to pursue.  Sometimes though the issue is bigger than the subject, and Jack's classless act of using the award ceremony as his personal bully pulpit is one such instance.  On any level this is a newsworthy item...how come Shaun Fuentes or the TTFF ent issue a press release on Jack menstruating all over himself at a time when he should have been patting these yutes on their backs?

I don't know this Fazeer character from a sack of potted soil, but to criticize him as being a 'waggonist', a term surpassed in stupidity only by it's application, is akin to Everybody's Favorite Dumbass, George Bush telling the rest of the world that 'if you're not with us, you are against us'.  In short, Fazeer shoulda been there from the start inciting the anti-Jack rhetoric...if he joins the chorus (legitimately or facetiously) later on then he not being genuine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:19:00 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »
I am surprise Fazeer wrote this, wasn't he the one who wrote Jack Warner's book (from zero to hero). I thought he was one of Jack Warner puppies too.

Or was it Valentino Singh ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:35:38 AM by Sando »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
You forgot to include the article when he said we wasn't qualifying for the WC. As for me eh liking Fazeer what is there to like and we allready debate why Fuentes eh call out Jack and that goes for Singh who write he book and Anil who get an award from UNC.

My point which obviously you guys have missed us that Journalist and Sport journalist in particular are inept and incompetent. We have more info about the impasse on this site than they do.

So Fazeer have written 8 articles supporting the Warriors give him the new Trinity Cross

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »
You forgot to include the article when he said we wasn't qualifying for the WC. As for me eh liking Fazeer what is there to like and we allready debate why Fuentes eh call out Jack and that goes for Singh who write he book and Anil who get an award from UNC.

My point which obviously you guys have missed us that Journalist and Sport journalist in particular are inept and incompetent. We have more info about the impasse on this site than they do.

So Fazeer have written 8 articles supporting the Warriors give him the new Trinity Cross

It kinda sounding like u have a personal vendetta against the man....
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 05:18:06 PM »

I could quote at least 10 so called die hards on this same site who say we wasn't qualifying. What's your point?

The only 'point which we have obviously missed" is that if you ent name Liburd you don't deserve to be called a (sports) journalist. You ever reflect on the fact that maybe if there is so little information on the impasse it might have something to do with the impression that Trinis as a whole let go the whole Soca Warriors thing as soon as the Paraguay match finish?

When Blanco get left out ah the WC squad men stage all kinda protest and thing. Bad football administration cause riots in a few African countries. Men get death threats and spit and beat up and kill (Ah not condoning any of this) for less than what Jackula do and here, as far as certain people consider, the Soca Warriors is yesterday's news.

Once again, we seem to live in this little world where only those of us who follow the day to day events of TnT football have the right to exist, and everybody else is waggonist. However, when these same waggonists not there, we vex that trinis ent supporting; heck we even exhorting them to come out...

Of course Fazeer is a "waggonist" when it comes to folloxing trini football games. He said so himself That said it seems he has always been a diehard when it comes to criticising the vaille qui vaille culture that passes for administration (and sports administration in particulier) in this country.

Once again, I not here to convert anybody. You might just want to consider that when the big battle to beat the Behemoth start we might need all hands on deck rather than to question who was they fighting first...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
Trinis are laid back but what is the role of the press in shaping a society. Not the TT press I guess. If we have to depend on Fazeer, Anil and valentino the tie tounge tief will be in power for life. Me eh have no gross with anybody who is a waggonist except when you are in the role of a Journallist. If man say we eh qualifying for the WC no probs man eh payin to be on this site but I have to pay $1 TT on weekdays, $1.50 on saturdays and $3. on Sundays so if I payin for something I would appreciate that u do your job as a professional.

I guess the press in Brazil and Africa eh play no role in providing info that lead to riot.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »

It kinda sounding like u have a personal vendetta against the man....

if it sounds like a duck...

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »
Trinis are laid back but what is the role of the press in shaping a society. Not the TT press I guess. If we have to depend on Fazeer, Anil and valentino the tie tounge tief will be in power for life. Me eh have no gross with anybody who is a waggonist except when you are in the role of a Journallist. If man say we eh qualifying for the WC no probs man eh payin to be on this site but I have to pay $1 TT on weekdays, $1.50 on saturdays and $3. on Sundays so if I payin for something I would appreciate that u do your job as a professional.

I guess the press in Brazil and Africa eh play no role in providing info that lead to riot.

Wait wait wait.........u trying to say that because he is a journalist, he was supposed to say that we was gonna qualify for the WC, even if he didn't believe it to be true?? Dat make no sense. Same way one of Jackula ppl cuz say Lisana supposed to deny that any blacklist in place, even tho it obvious for anybody to see.

Fazeer just gave his opinion at the time, and it turned out to be wrong. As far as i remember, he was as happy as anyone when we qualified, he just didn't think it was going to happen. All that show is that he didn't share your faith, nothing else.

The papers always gonna have opinions u doh agree with.......u cah honestly claim that because u pay money to read papers, all journalists must agree with all your opinions on every matter

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
Trinis are laid back but what is the role of the press in shaping a society. Not the TT press I guess.

If you waiting on 'press' tuh shape yuh country then you in even worse shape dan you realize.  All ah we, everybody have their own agenda that they pursue.  Some in the press desire to inspire change, some desire to sell papers and win prize.  They are no different than we the hoi polloi...so I won't suggest you put them up on a pedestal, then castigate them when the foundation that you erect falters.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »

I eh want no press shaping nutten...dat is propaganda and often abused.
Press there to inform...opinions all in the mix too but they hadda be straight and present it as opinion based on all the facts. 

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
very good article fazeer...i like how u didnt mention anytin bout cricket in it like u prone to do

WHATT!!! The report is centered around the UNDER-17 squad, their qualification and the comments made at that ceremony, what cricket have to do with it??? >:(

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »
Well done Mr. Mohammed, I am glad you and Liburd report on this man so he can take a pause and check himself.

Keep it up!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:05 PM »
By informing you shape when you eh inform you assist with the continued ignorance of a people. Classic eg in today's express Kieth Smith article today which say that it was a promise. No mention of the 30 % no mention that is $5000TT the boys get no mention that he deduct food and transport.

This is the Editor at Large as for personal vendetta I have time to waste on Fazeer. Me eh say because yuh is a journalist that yuh suppose to buy yuh ticket to Germany but a lil balance coverage go be nice.

I just expect that if u are a professional behave like one and doh wait until the horse bold the stable to comment on an issue

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »
By informing you shape when you eh inform you assist with the continued ignorance of a people. Classic eg in today's express Kieth Smith article today which say that it was a promise. No mention of the 30 % no mention that is $5000TT the boys get no mention that he deduct food and transport.

This is the Editor at Large as for personal vendetta I have time to waste on Fazeer. Me eh say because yuh is a journalist that yuh suppose to buy yuh ticket to Germany but a lil balance coverage go be nice.

I just expect that if u are a professional behave like one and doh wait until the horse bold the stable to comment on an issue

I think all ah we would be with you on what yuh saying...except we probably juss disagree that it applies in this case.

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
You hit the nail on the head Fazeer!!!!

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:45 PM »

I think all ah we would be with you on what yuh saying...except we probably juss disagree that it applies in this case.

That's exactly it  :beermug:

1]; } ?>