March 28, 2024, 06:24:45 AM

Author Topic: Brazil's 1970 winning team voted best of all time  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brazil's 1970 winning team voted best of all time
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:32:09 PM »
Brazil's 1970 winning team voted best of all time

By Mike Collett

LONDON (Reuters) - Brazil's 1970 World Cup winning team have been voted the best of all time in a global poll of experts conducted by World Soccer magazine.

The greatest goal of all time was judged to be Diego Maradona's mesmerizing second against England in Argentina's 2-1 quarter-final victory in the 1986 World Cup quarter-finals in Mexico City.

ADVERTISEMENT

The vote for the greatest match of all time completed a hat-trick for events that took place in World Cups in Mexico.

The experts opted for the 1970 semi-final in Mexico City in which Italy beat West Germany 4-3 after extra time.

World Soccer described Brazil's 1970 winners as "more than a team," adding: "the Brazilian side that won the 1970 World Cup in such style have become a myth, a team to be held up as the ultimate exponents of the beautiful game."

The second best team of all time was named as the Hungarian side of 1953 and the third best the Dutch side that lost the 1974 World Cup final to West Germany.

The AC Milan side of 1989-90 finished fourth, the highest-ranked club side. Real Madrid 1956-60, who won five successive European Cups, were voted sixth.

While Maradona topped the goalscorers' poll for his second against England, Marco van Basten's goal against the Soviet Union in the Netherlands' victory in the 1988 European Championship final was voted the second best.

Zinedine Zidane's stunning volley for Real Madrid in their 2002 Champions League final victory over Bayer Leverkusen was voted the third greatest of all time.

Following the Italy-West Germany semi-final as the best match was Liverpool's penalty shoot-out victory over AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League final. Real Madrid's 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup final was voted the third greatest match.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil's 1970 winning team voted best of all time
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
No argument there at all that entire Brazil 70 team was NOOO JOKE every man was poison

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »
i will have to go to FIFA WC site and check out their classic game.

i hear they was something else.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/matches/index.html

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
wotever

Greatest squad of all time was the resistance from VICTORY.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »
No argument there at all that entire Brazil 70 team was NOOO JOKE every man was poison

Not true.  Unless you mean poisonous to dey own side.  Felix was suspect at best.

I would rate Brasil 82 as de 2nd best side ever.  Too bad dey had Waldir Peres and de ultimate shithong...Serginho.  Otherwise...de ress a dat side was a dream......Oscar, Luisinho, Junior, Leandro, Toninho Cerezo, Falcao, Eder, Socrates, Zico.....lawd.....jes retypin dem names givin meh goose bumps.  Dem men play some football in dah tournament dey....WOW!  Cyah argue with Italy vs West Germany semi final in 70 but dat Brazil vs Italy game in 82 make meh cry when it done.  Closely followed by France vs West Germany in 82 as well.  Daz when Schumacher level Battiston and eh even get a foul call against he.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:47:14 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

Not true.  Unless you mean poisonous to dey own side.  Felix was suspect at best.

I would rate Brasil 82 as de 2nd best side ever.  Too bad dey had Waldir Peres and de ultimate shithong...Serginho.  Otherwise...de ress a dat side was a dream......Oscar, Luisinho, Junior, Leandro, Toninho Cerezo, Falcao, Eder, Socrates, Zico.....lawd.....jes retypin dem names givin meh goose bumps.  Dem men play some football in dah tournament dey....WOW!  Cyah argue with Italy vs West Germany semi final in 70 but dat Brazil vs Italy game in 82 make meh cry when it done.  Closely followed by France vs West Germany in 82 as well.  Daz when Schumacher level Battiston and eh even get a foul call against he.

Don't forget the classic matchup between Brazil and Argentina with the WWWICKED FREE-KICK that Eder crashed against the crossbar for Socrates to run in and finish off!.......And Serginho Peres was really the ULTIMATE shit-hongs in truth!! 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »

Felix was real good. Very highly rated. Watch the full 1970 doc and you will see that man make some serious saves. Brazil keepers used to get real expose cuz the defense love to join in the attack, especially up and down the wings..even from back then (Mario Zagallo was de original marauding left back  ;)). But he had some miraulous saves and I remember him being stellar in the highlights vs England.

Serginho was a last minute replacement for Careca. He was always in the squad (the actual repacement was Roberto Dinamite)..but he got elevated to the starting position. Great player at the time, but had a poor WC. Still loved by Brazilians and known as a bad boy who played physical. It is believed that in Santana's team he was obliged to play more elegantly to fit Santana's philosophy and could not benefit from his normal physical game and looked tame. Not sure how Careca would have done in his first WC as a 22 year old...but Brazilians like to think that he would have made a difference

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

Felix was real good. Very highly rated. Watch the full 1970 doc and you will see that man make some serious saves. Brazil keepers used to get real expose cuz the defense love to join in the attack, especially up and down the wings..even from back then (Mario Zagallo was de original marauding left back  ;)). But he had some miraulous saves and I remember him being stellar in the highlights vs England.

Serginho was a last minute replacement for Careca. He was always in the squad (the actual repacement was Roberto Dinamite)..but he got elevated to the starting position. Great player at the time, but had a poor WC. Still loved by Brazilians and known as a bad boy who played physical. It is believed that in Santana's team he was obliged to play more elegantly to fit Santana's philosophy and could not benefit from his normal physical game and looked tame. Not sure how Careca would have done in his first WC as a 22 year old...but Brazilians like to think that he would have made a difference

Steupes.  Santana bow to public pressure and include Serginho in he squad.  De authorities did even give he early release from jail so dat he could be eligible to get pick.  Only fuh he to shit dong de place.  A 16 year old Careca would have done better far less fuh 22.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »
Serginho really had a poor WC in Spain. He did miss a sitter which might of tied up the game.  But the man was in ripping form in the Brazilian Chanmpionships.That is why he was picked. He was probably the tallest center forward Brazil ever had. I could be wrong. But what really kill Brazil was the "gift goal" scored by Rossi. Toninho Cerezo made a no-look square pass intended for Junior overlapping from the left back, not knowing Rossi was in the path of the pass. Rossi easily intercepted and the rest is history. After that Italy justwent  back to defence and counter attack. Italy won the cup but they didnot show anything new but their traditional "catenaccio". Everybody still talks about that Brazilian team. They played some of the best football in all the WC I have seen.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
Everybody still talks about that Brazilian team. They played some of the best football in all the WC I have seen.

Ain't that the truth!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
Toninho Cerezo made a no-look square pass intended for Junior overlapping from the left back, not knowing Rossi was in the path of the pass. Rossi easily intercepted and the rest is history.

I always thought was Junior who made dat pass.....I probably wrong doh.  Ah have de game but ah cyah bear to put mehself tru dah trauma to go and watch it again to verify.  To dis day, still too painful.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »
Toninho Cerezo made a no-look square pass intended for Junior overlapping from the left back, not knowing Rossi was in the path of the pass. Rossi easily intercepted and the rest is history.

I always thought was Junior who made dat pass.....I probably wrong doh.  Ah have de game but ah cyah bear to put mehself tru dah trauma to go and watch it again to verify.  To dis day, still too painful.

nah it was Serginho

imagine how things like that must hurt. sadly, i'm sure he carrying that pass with him to this day. good thing he is considered a general. Except for Sergin and Valdir Perez, all thse fellas came home toa  hero's welcome. Kinda like Zico penalty miss against France in 1986. If the public loves you, you will be forgiven and time heals all wounds (kinda). These fellas probably still can't bear to think back on those things tho' :-\
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:26:46 PM by Filho »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »

nah it was Serginho

imagine how things like that must hurt. sadly, i'm sure he carrying that pass with him to this day. good thing he is considered a general. Except for Sergin and Valdir Perez, all thse fellas came home toa  hero's welcome. Kinda like Zico penalty miss against France in 1986. If the public loves you, you will be forgiven and time heals all wounds (kinda). These fellas probably still can't bear to think back on those things tho' :-\

Allyuh men bringin' out demons that I have been trying to vanquish for what seems to be a LIFETIME.  I can still see that bad pass.....and that missed penalty.....like it was yesterday. Sometimes I think I carrying them burdens more than the men that really shoulder them.  Serginho didn't only miss the sitter(s) in that game: he missed some in previous games that would have affected the goal margin that would have put Italy further behind Brazil even from the start of the game.  The 80's was painful!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 05:29:59 PM »
Yes it was Cerezo and ironically it was a similar pass that Clodoraldo made against Italy in 1970 that gave Italy their goal.

Brazil 70 had different gears and something like 8 different people scoring goals for them. pele was majestic especially in the creative department. He was also remembered more for two of the best chances ever missed. The shot from his own half versus the ChecK dem and the dummy against the Uruguay keeper. Sweet misses if their was ever such a thing hahahhah. What about goal number 4 against Italy so many passes and then wam Pele to Carlos Alberto.

imagine that WC had everybody who was anybody of that era Moore, Charlton, Hurst, Banks, (England), Riva, Facetti, Mazolla (Italy), Muller, Beckenbauer, Overath, Maier (Germany), Cubillas (Peru)
What a WC!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »
imagine that WC had everybody who was anybody of that era Moore, Charlton, Hurst, Banks, (England), Riva, Facetti, Mazolla (Italy), Muller, Beckenbauer, Overath, Maier (Germany), Cubillas (Peru)
What a WC!

86 was better.  It too had everybody who was anybody of dat era. 

Diego Armando Maradona!  ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
 AJAX mid 70's team need a mention...like wise Bayern and West Germany mid 70's
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »
When Faith has it that you destined for glory, nothing can stop that. In the group matches, Cameroon had scored a goal against one of the teams. The ref. said off-side. Replay showed that was not the case. It was a legit goal. Had that goal stand, Cameroom would have won the group. Italy would have been out. All the teams ended with same points. Italy score one more goal that Cameroom.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »
Yes it was Cerezo and ironically it was a similar pass that Clodoraldo made against Italy in 1970 that gave Italy their goal.

Brazil 70 had different gears and something like 8 different people scoring goals for them. pele was majestic especially in the creative department. He was also remembered more for two of the best chances ever missed. The shot from his own half versus the ChecK dem and the dummy against the Uruguay keeper. Sweet misses if their was ever such a thing hahahhah. What about goal number 4 against Italy so many passes and then wam Pele to Carlos Alberto.

What a WC!
Yuh could say that again, ah did always llike the game buh '70 is when ah fall in love with it,
although the best team-play ah see live was dat U20 Korea team, every coach should get them(Brazil 70 & Korea 07) game tapes...juss realize ah only see dem games in '72, yes!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:45:58 PM by maxg »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 08:32:17 PM »

nah it was Serginho

whoah..I meant Cerezo  :P

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
Palos

Them loss by Brazil in 82 and 86 was could forerunner to Nov 19. Pressureeeeeeeee. Not to mention that WGermany France in 82 when that man Schmacher and Rum and a ? come and score dem goal. I hated Germany from dat day until I went to WC. I neva thought I would a like Germany but the WC in Germany made me change my opinion of them
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>