April 17, 2024, 07:20:25 PM

Author Topic: Grande trendsetters.  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Grande trendsetters.
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »
Grande trendsetters.[/size]

Lasana Liburd explains why a rustic community centre might offer a glimpse of the Pro League’s future.

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, the 2007 Pro League leaders at the time of writing, travel to Sangre Grande this weekend for a meeting with North East Counties outfit, North East Stars.
More likely than not, Jabloteh will not enjoy their trip.
The uneven surface and sometimes strong wind that blows across the Sangre Grande Recreational Ground can test the technique and reputations of the country’s more high profiled local stars—and Jabloteh has quite a few on staff.
It is a good thing that Jabloteh chairman Jerry Hospedales is not a fan of the VIP seating areas. There is none in Sangre Grande.
Family members and fans more accustomed to the relatively comfortable nationwide stadia must settle for a more humble setting while the drive itself is near an hour and a half from Port of Spain.
There is a main concrete stand near the halfway line that seats around 800 patrons while a makeshift stand at the opposite end serves less than a third of that figure. There is standing space for anyone who is interested—and there are always plenty of takers—behind the ropes that surround the football ground.
Do you feel as though you have just gone 30 years into Trinidad and Tobago ’s football past? Hardly. The North East Stars’ rustic headquarters is closer to the future of the Pro League than the refurbished Hasely Crawford Stadium.
The uneven ground might make it difficult for coach James McLean’s outfit to play the brisk passing game he prefers but he is happy to sacrifice artistic merit for crowd passion.
McLean, a Guyanese national who led the club to the national league title in 2004, suggested that the distinct aura of the venue galvanizes the team and brings an excitement often lacking in the modern stadiums.
“In Grande, you have people barbequing and drinking beers from the bottle while police officers can sit in the grass and watch football,” said McLean . “Our supporters also stand right around the ground rather than just in one corner like at the big stadiums.
“Our fan base knows what type of football we are trying to play too. When we lose the ball, you hear people all around shouting ‘press him, don’t let him get out’.
“We want to keep and nourish that kind of thing. I think moving football out of the communities is like taking the cowbell and screaming and liquor out of West Indies cricket."
Former “Soca Warriors” coach Leo Beenhakker often scoffed at the notion of home advantage but a look at the Pro League result sheet tells its own tale.
The Stars have won 66 percent of their matches in Grande this season—albeit just two of three—whereas they stand at 25 percent in games elsewhere including their adopted home ground at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar.
Stars owner, Darryl Mahabir, explained that the inadequate lighting at the Sangre Grande ground meant that midweek matches were obliged to start no later than 4 pm. Teams and match officials complained, though, that it would be near impossible to get to the venue in time for such an early kick off and, as such, the Stars are forced to play those games in Malabar.
Fortunately, the Pro League executive committee promised to help and has already begun negotiations with the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago on their behalf. Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene believes that the Stars’ strong home ties are an example to their counterparts who, for the most part, seek refuge at the nearest stadium.
“The whole atmosphere and community involvement behind the North East Stars is exactly what we want to encourage,” said Skeene. “It is the type of set up we need for the future of our football and we are trying to get help from the government and the Sport Company to improve the ground.”
Mahabir needs all the help he can get.
At 33, Mahabir—who runs the Japs Fried Chicken fast food outlet in Sangre Grande and is a CEPEP contractor—is the Pro League’s youngest club owner and has accomplished more than most with relatively meagre resources.
Economy Supermarket is the sole sponsor this season and, apart from a one-year deal with National Quarries, Mahabir has taken on much of the financial burden himself since the Stars joined the professional ranks in 2002. The Sangre Grande business community consists mainly of small family-owned businesses that tend to see a football franchise more as an extravagance than a necessity.
There were many who thought the Stars to be out of their depth when they asked to be included in the then Professional Football League (PFL), five years ago.
“I was 28 when I went to the screening for the PFL,” said Mahabir, a former Queen’s Royal College (QRC) student. “They asked me what I doing there at that age.”
The Stars had a testing introduction to the top flight but things changed when Mahabir brought McLean to Trinidad in 2003 to coach a squad that already comprised the Guyanese quartet of Randolph Jerome, Charles Pollard, Carey Harris and Kayode Mc Kinnon.
The Grande outfit won the FA title and were third in the league in his maiden season while, boosted by the addition of former Europe-based star Jerren Nixon, they copped the PFL crown in 2004.
McLean left Grande in 2005 before returning at the start of the 2007 season. An amiable figure, he is keen on the merits of spatial awareness and ball possession on the field and impresses on his players the importance of being pro-active with or without the football.
Jabloteh coach Terry Fenwick can be sure that the Stars will not cower or sit back and wait to be beaten.
Fenwick knows the quality of the Sangre Grande players well. Stars captain Glenton Wolfe and his younger brother, Anthony Wolfe, spent successful stints with the San Juan club before returning to their roots this season.
The younger Wolfe might be the community’s first million-dollar athlete after forcing his way into the Trinidad and Tobago ’s historic 2006 World Cup squad while Glenton made an impression at the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup and is likely to figure in the qualifying series for the 2010 World Cup competition.
Mahabir interviewed the brothers, five years ago, when they asked for permission to join their PFL-bound home club from the East West Coaching School.
“I asked (the Wolfes) why they wanted to play for North East Stars,” said Mahabir, “and they said their dream was to play at the highest level and to represent their country and look at them now.
“I have always found joy in seeing people grow and I like to assist people who like to assist themselves. I think it strengthens the community to see young boys like Anthony and Glenton and Jaggie (Kendall Jagdeosingh) step out and make something of themselves.”
The Stars have another chance to stand up and be counted on Sunday against Jabloteh.
Fenwick has the World Cup trio of Aurtis Whitley, Cornell Glen and Cyd Gray within his squad list as well as prolific Antiguan striker Peter Byers. Mahabir hopes that the passion of the Sangre Grande community helps to level the gap in class between the teams.
“We feel we have an upper hand on most of the clubs,” said Mahabir, “because technically we are the only club that plays in front of its own community.”
It is children’s day at the Sangre Grande Recreational Ground on Sunday and the little ones will be allowed into the venue for free and can amuse themselves in a bouncy castle provided by Jo Jo Promotions. Stars’ home matches are often followed by car shows too.
A bubbly, enthused fan base, Mahabir believes, encourage energized performances on the field.
It is an old secret that might help strengthen the emotional ties between players and patrons, which is so necessary for the future of the local professional game.

North East Star owner, Darryl Mahabir.

The main concrete stand near the half-way line.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:08:11 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Grande trendsetters.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »
I use to play rell ball on that ground it's right next to North Eastern College, i have not been there in the last 4 years so i can't say how exactly it is now but i remember when i was there, the Field for some reason was cut after rain fall with ah tractor causing rell sprain ankle spots on the pitch.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »
I use to play rell ball on that ground it's right next to North Eastern College, i have not been there in the last 4 years so i can't say how exactly it is now but i remember when i was there, the Field for some reason was cut after rain fall with ah tractor causing rell sprain ankle spots on the pitch.

That grounds have potential to be an excellent facility if they fix it up properly. Is in a nice area too.

Even if is for the community self because people does real sweat there.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
Nice read!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »
Long, but good read......

About time we hear stories from the smaller teams....

Next up.. Police and Petrotrin.....

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
This is some good stuff i like to hear enlightening stories like this about the local game. If the stars had a little more resources the place could be a nice one it's in a nice area and community based. But this is absolutely necessary in my view that in a league ALL teams should have their own home and oplay in front their home fans

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »
Fack Grande rec grounds....I have my own bad memories of that place.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »

well is you carry she dey and who tell yuh to walk without rubbers

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

You making joke and I here thinking I need counseling...

I remember it like it was twenty years ago...

I was about 6 or 7 and we went tuh some 'race' (track meet for those of you scoring at home) or de other up by Sangre Grande Gov't School.  So naturally when all these school chirren in they different uniforms meet up is nutten but pure tribalism...Bloods and Crips ent want nutten wid we.

Me now, I ent no badjohn...but I small and kinda fast so dat master give my tongue speed.  I minding my own business, contemplating sno-cone wid half and half (again fuh allyuh scoring at home...half red syrup...half yellow), plain sno-cone, or sno-cone wid condense milk.  Choices, choices.... :-[

Next thing I know I feel deez eye watching me cut-eye...gritting on me and shit, so I stare back at dem real hard, like "WHAT?!!" ...and just like my mammy teach mih, I say "what de f**k yuh looking at??".  Yes folks, back den ah was just ah li'l ball ah polourie, but so ah was full ah mouth.  It take ah while fuh mih body to grow into mih mouth, but I digress....

So after some choice pleasantries involving each other's mother, this beast rush at mih from out ah nowhere...and I tumble backwards with this animal wailing away ontop mankind and all I coulda do was tuh latch on wid ah strong bite....mouth again tuh de rescue, ah tell yuh.

So finally they pull de li'l girl offa me (yes, go ahead...laff bastards)

...shirt halfway off mih back, head well bruise up...and she dey holding she breast.

People was laffin', but me...I was playin it cool...like "yeah, yuh lucky ah di'n really want tuh get lock up today"...hoping people will think was de breeze making mih pants shake and not really mih knees knocking.

From then on I say fack dat, b!tches getting beat dung  >:( ...de next time ah woman even look like she squaring up tuh fight mankind, I rushing een wid one jump kick tuh she chest and cuffing she in de back ah she head one time...and running real fast...

I doh care...he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day...without having tuh say dat ah li'l gyul cut he ass on sports day.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »

You making joke and I here thinking I need counseling...

I remember it like it was twenty years ago...

I was about 6 or 7 and we went tuh some 'race' (track meet for those of you scoring at home) or de other up by Sangre Grande Gov't School.  So naturally when all these school chirren in they different uniforms meet up is nutten but pure tribalism...Bloods and Crips ent want nutten wid we.

Me now, I ent no badjohn...but I small and kinda fast so dat master give my tongue speed.  I minding my own business, contemplating sno-cone wid half and half (again fuh allyuh scoring at home...half red syrup...half yellow), plain sno-cone, or sno-cone wid condense milk.  Choices, choices.... :-[

Next thing I know I feel deez eye watching me cut-eye...gritting on me and shit, so I stare back at dem real hard, like "WHAT?!!" ...and just like my mammy teach mih, I say "what de f**k yuh looking at??".  Yes folks, back den ah was just ah li'l ball ah polourie, but so ah was full ah mouth.  It take ah while fuh mih body to grow into mih mouth, but I digress....

So after some choice pleasantries involving each other's mother, this beast rush at mih from out ah nowhere...and I tumble backwards with this animal wailing away ontop mankind and all I coulda do was tuh latch on wid ah strong bite....mouth again tuh de rescue, ah tell yuh.

So finally they pull de li'l girl offa me (yes, go ahead...laff bastards)

...shirt halfway off mih back, head well bruise up...and she dey holding she breast.

People was laffin', but me...I was playin it cool...like "yeah, yuh lucky ah di'n really want tuh get lock up today"...hoping people will think was de breeze making mih pants shake and not really mih knees knocking.

From then on I say fack dat, b!tches getting beat dung  >:( ...de next time ah woman even look like she squaring up tuh fight mankind, I rushing een wid one jump kick tuh she chest and cuffing she in de back ah she head one time...and running real fast...

I doh care...he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day...without having tuh say dat ah li'l gyul cut he ass on sports day.

Bakes, I like de rhyme  :D

Yuh eh need counseling man. No shame in getting licks from a gyul when you was 6 or 7....at dat age dey just as strong as you, have real energy and does pelt kick and slap hard and wild

what kill meh is yuh look to bite she on de breast  :rotfl:

purely self-defense...ent Bakes

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:24:17 AM »
This is good, I think they will become a force soon providing they pick up some richer sponsors. I would also like to know how Darryl Mahabir figure James McLean was the best coach for the job, what teams James coached before and what is his record.

The governemnt should really invest in the Sangre Grande Recreational Ground. Help them out a bit as they probably hold the best fans based.

As I said in the past to many small leagues in T&T and the Pro League will always suffer for crowd support because of this.

They also need to have more double headers and with the Suer League teams too. A relegation and promotion of teams will also help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:32:23 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>