March 28, 2024, 05:22:09 AM

Author Topic: Turf vs Natural  (Read 3355 times)

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Turf vs Natural
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:26:07 PM »
IMHO the games on grass are far better. More exciting and the players skill seem better, especially beating players and shooting.
On the turf it seems man foot sticking and plenty shots flying over bars.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Turf vs Natural
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:37:18 PM »
That rubber pellet shit the U-20s playin on is annoying.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:04:03 PM »
IMHO the games on grass are far better. More exciting and the players skill seem better, especially beating players and shooting.
On the turf it seems man foot sticking and plenty shots flying over bars.

I agree the bounce and roll of the ball seems weird. It looks its best when damp or wet
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
What do the players say?  I would like to hear their views about the surface not man who watching it from afar on TV.  How do we know which is better.  And there are different types of Turf as well
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »
What do the players say?  I would like to hear their views about the surface not man who watching it from afar on TV.  How do we know which is better.  And there are different types of Turf as well

Well in Peru the players complained and the officials had to hose down the field before each game and at half
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »
I have a deep mistrust of artificial turf.  I played football on grass with no injuries for most of my life then I went and run some ball one year in Pittsburgh on artificial turf and in 5 minutes I managed to pop my ankle out.  I pivoted on my foot to change direction and it planted in place and didn't budge.

Needless to say it wasn't fun.

Bad luck?  Maybe.  I still eh playing on that surface again though.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 05:58:10 PM »

read here http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/06/sports/NA-SPT-SOC-U20-Turf-Complaints.php
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
Played on the hard , carpet shit for four years.  Then, after I graduated, my college put in the new turf technology.  It depends on the length of the blades of the grass.  Some of the new turfs, while trying to immitate the new technology, try to cut corners and make the blades too short.  Then again, you can't make it too long.  I thing it's OK, but if I have a choice, it would be grass.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
IT  depends on where you live. In the suburbs with plenty land, GRASS. In the inner cities with limited space and heavy usage, turf may be the answer. Especially the new type of turf. But I prefer grass all the way.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »
I played on St Johns turf in NY and i have to say it is pretty but not nice to play on, i will stick to the real thing anyday

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
yeah i asked a question wondering if that artificial turf is de one dey install in TnT the other day. me eh know eh, but i find that the turf look real sweet and somehow or the other me eh really see it affecting men and skill display too much, now i just watching from home but if the Adu's and Banega's of the world doing what dey on that artificial turf, i say rip out the natural surface and bring on the artificial turf. seriously though i like it, i also like how dem Copa America fields look too.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:53:22 AM »

read here http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/06/sports/NA-SPT-SOC-U20-Turf-Complaints.php

Anybody notice a contradiction in the article?

The use of turf is slowly catching on in Europe, where club teams Red Bull Salzburg in Austria and Heracles Almelo in the Netherlands play their home games on turf. Others, such as German powerhouse Bayern Munich, use it at their training ground.

Southern hemisphere teams seem to have a particular dislike of it, though, and when the Americans warmed up for the tournament with a June friendly against Canada at Frank Clair Stadium, U.S. coach Thomas Rongen predicted as much.

"It's a tricky surface for Brazil," he said.

FIFA is not listening to the complaints.

During his stopover in Ottawa on Tuesday, CONCACAF president and FIFA vice president Jack Warner defended the use of turf and had a message for the naysayers like Argentina: like it or not, the artificial stuff is here to stay.

"Some countries will still have to come to terms with the modern trends," he said. "You have to accept the fact in football that change is a fact of life.

"Artificial turf is the future of football worldwide. At the Champions League in Europe, this is exactly the type of turf on which they play. So please, Argentina. Please."

So is Jack who talking out of he rectum once again or the journalist who have it wrong?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »

Storeboy I've played on two types of artificial turf, the old hard astroturf that give meh real road rash and the newer one with fake blades of grass and black rubber pellets like what the U-20s playin on.

The rubber pellets does spray up and stick to yuh sweaty skin, get in yuh eye, get in yuh mout.
And it does still give yuh a lil scrape when yuh slide on it.
Not nearly as bad as astroturf but it not as soft as grass.
Yuh could turn on it without any problems though, the blades of 'grass' just rip out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:13:30 AM by Peong »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 05:15:56 AM »
yeah i asked a question wondering if that artificial turf is de one dey install in TnT the other day. me eh know eh, but i find that the turf look real sweet and somehow or the other me eh really see it affecting men and skill display too much, now i just watching from home but if the Adu's and Banega's of the world doing what dey on that artificial turf, i say rip out the natural surface and bring on the artificial turf. seriously though i like it, i also like how dem Copa America fields look too.

The Copa America fields are natural grass not turf
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 09:06:54 AM »
sorry I was working at the time and kinda busy, so i didn't finish. idiot that i am, still, i kinda knew that the Copa America fields were natural grass, I just mean they look real good (i know, i know, it's to be expected at that level), anyway thanks for pointing out that it's natural grass breds.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 09:08:27 AM »
i read the title of this thread and thought it was about female pubic hair.

my bad.

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
I am not a big fan of Artificial turf. I had a friend who tour his ACL on it, but it seems the ones being created today has come a long way from what I am hearing in the industry. I have to really try it to see how it feels. trinidad and Tobago recently purchased one from this company

http://www.synthetic-turf.com/photoGallery.asp?Cat=Sports_Surfaces&SubCat=Outdoor

I heard it's really close to the real thing.

http://www.synthetic-turf.com/pressReleases/DistributorNetworkGrows.html

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »
do i prefer grass or astroturf...?

i dont know, ive never smoked astroturf ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:44:28 AM by #4 »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »
turf in the rain is real fun to play on - better than natural grass i find. but in normal conditions, natural grass.

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »
turf in the rain is real fun to play on - better than natural grass i find. but in normal conditions, natural grass.

Maybe they should just soak the field before each games? Then I guess the fake stuff wins hands down? ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
I have a deep mistrust of artificial turf.  I played football on grass with no injuries for most of my life then I went and run some ball one year in Pittsburgh on artificial turf and in 5 minutes I managed to pop my ankle out.  I pivoted on my foot to change direction and it planted in place and didn't budge.

Needless to say it wasn't fun.

Bad luck?  Maybe.  I still eh playing on that surface again though.
Chances are it was more than just bad luck.

Astroturf is a thing of the past...that carpet was known for facking up man knees and ankles.  The new synthetic stuff is supposed to be better at preventing injuries though.

1]; } ?>