April 29, 2024, 09:02:05 AM

Author Topic: When last you eat a "POW"  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
When last you eat a "POW"
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »
Source: POW story

BEIJING -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Countless small, often illegally run operations exist across China and make money cutting corners by using inexpensive ingredients or unsavory substitutes. They are almost impossible to regulate.

State TV's undercover investigation features the shirtless, shorts-clad maker of the buns, called baozi, explaining the contents of the product sold in Beijing's sprawling Chaoyang district.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda - a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap - then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

© 2007 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ANother story

Sidewalk China Stand Found Selling Steamed Buns Made Primarily From Cardboard

July 12, 2007 9:00 p.m. EST

Patricia Shehan - AHN News Writer

Beijing, China (AHN) - A common Chinese lunch or breakfast snack known a baozi, or Chinese steamed buns, was being made and sold illegally with cardboard boxes being substituted as the main ingredient at one vendor, according to authorities in China.

Baozi is normally made from wheat and rice flour and a filling of pork, usually with added sugar, salt, water, oil and eggs.

One Beijing neighborhood "sidewalk stall" selling the steamed buns was caught on tape by an undercover Chinese TV news crew. This food stand, likely one of many illegally run operations, was found using chopped cardboard, being softened by an industrial chemical, as the main ingredient.

The report aired on late night TV in China emphasized the food safety problems in the country in spite of the improvement efforts being made by the government.

Obviously, these operations are in it only for the money, finding any way they can to cut corners by using ingredients or substitutes that are inexpensive and almost impossible to be regulated, according to the AP report.

The hidden camera of the undercover TV reporter found a rundown and filthy building where the buns were being steamed. The ground is found to be littered with dirty water puddles, old furniture and cardboard.

The TV news report showed the reporter questioning the bun maker as to what the ingredients were in the recipe for the boazi. The bun maker admitted to the reporter that most people cannot tell the difference and states that "It fools the average person."

"I don't eat them myself," states the bun maker.

Ultimately the police arrive and shut the business down. No reports of whether or not the bun maker was arrested were made.

This discovery from this investigative report in China comes on the heels of numerous problems with foods founds to have illegally substituted items that have been imported into the U.S. from China. One such recent instance even involved a nonfood item, that is, toothpaste, in which an ingredient normally used in antifreeze was substituted.

Source : POW

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: When last you eat a "POW"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
Wow.

The ones I've had up here usually have less meat (no carboard) than in TnT.

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
boss dat is some nasty shit...add de deadly toothpaste etc....dem chinee dem after de $$$$ and dey have no standards at all.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »
i eh know bout that cardboard ting but i use to buy meh pow by hong chow on richmond and park and from ah china man name lou in tunapuna.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:25:20 AM »
i eh know bout that cardboard ting but i use to buy meh pow by hong chow on richmond and park and from ah china man name lou in tunapuna.

hong chow had real borse pow and arepas to breds..memories

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »

hong chow had real borse pow and arepas to breds..memories
it had 2 parts to de restaurant,the next side use to sell ah wicked cow heel soup.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
In Toronto, the Chinese call it Bow (no not bow wow..:-)

But dey cah touch a TT Pow.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »
I like CHinese food but a pow is something that I will never eat.

One big greasy bread with a piece of mystery meat in the middle.

No thanks.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:30:26 PM »

No thanks.
i eh know way u buy yuh pow,but de bread eh suppose to b greasy.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:31:17 AM »

No thanks.

like dey does rub vaseline on yuh pow breds...pow eh greasy at all, at least dem I eat in T&T.

Pow is boss food.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:01:37 AM »
In Toronto, the Chinese call it Bow (no not bow wow..:-)

But dey cah touch a TT Pow.

VB
Yow!! yuh tring to kill meh or what ? that's some reeaalll funny shyte ( BOW WOW). :rotfl: :rotfl: :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »
I remember when i was about 6yrs old my pops took us to get roti in barataria at sixth ave junction, anyway it was the first time eating a roti for me. every one had roti except my older brother, who oppted for a pow instead. the man ate the pow and vomited for like two days, after that we started calling him POW, and up till this day even at 45 he's still known as POW. :devil: :devil:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:35:36 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »

No thanks.

T&T pow eh greasy, but in Chinese food in North America it does be greasy. Yuh bite into one and grease flying out.

what we know as chow mein ain't de same chow mein up here either

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
we have Fairway Market here and their's is real tasty. 2 or 3 dimfront favors.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 01:04:15 AM »
the real name is chazhu bow, in tt i dont know how we get pow  :rotfl: but i will eat it regardless, probably 2 weeks ago i had some pow..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »
KahWah on Maraval Road have dey bestest POW and ya get ah fortune cookie wid it.
Lace it wid pepper...and tings nice  ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 10:25:37 PM »
KahWah on Maraval Road have dey bestest POW and ya get ah fortune cookie wid it.
Lace it wid pepper...and tings nice  ;D
de roast pork good too.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »

No thanks.

T&T pow eh greasy, but in Chinese food in North America it does be greasy. Yuh bite into one and grease flying out.

what we know as chow mein ain't de same chow mein up here either

Pow is not greasy period...not in TnT, not in "North America"...it is a STEAMED bun, dunno whey allyuh getting allyuh grease talk from like tt say, maybe de chineemand duz shine up allyuh own wid vaseline fuh allyuh, ;D  Even the meat inside is sparse and not at all greasy.

As for the "real name"  Chazhu bow...that depends on which part of China you talking about, it's known as Baozi in some parts and yet other parts call it something different.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »
ah never like pow

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »
ah never like pow
and I suppose ya doh eat ya bake and shark wid pineapple eh ;D ;D

me needa, buh love ah pow
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »
Check the SAGHs cookbook the recipe for POW dey.

POW is not greasy, but one of de ingredients is LARD (COOKEN)

BTW me muddah does make dem in de corner shop in Woodbrook, stone throw from Licensing office
Changs cafe on Gatacre St and Metheun St NW side.

I grow up on them things, slight pepper not to burn your taste buds and light seeeeyawww you in business....

Hong Chow still dey?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
China reporter held over cardboard-in-buns story
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
CNN.com

Beijing police have detained a television reporter for allegedly fabricating an investigative story about steamed buns stuffed with cardboard at a time when China's food safety is under intense international scrutiny.

A report directed by Beijing TV and played on state-run national broadcaster China Central Television last Thursday said an unlicensed snack vendor in eastern Beijing was selling steamed dumplings stuffed with cardboard soaked in caustic soda and seasoned with pork flavoring.

Beijing authorities said investigations had found that an employee surnamed Zi had fabricated the report to garner "higher audience ratings", the China Daily said on Thursday.

"Zi had provided all the cardboard and asked the vendor to soak it. It's all cheating," the paper quoted a government notice as saying.

A city-wide inspection of steamed bun vendors in the wake of the report had found no such cases, the paper said.

Beijing TV had apologized for failing to check the report's authenticity and said it would make efforts to improve staff ethics, the paper added.

China is reeling from a series of tainted food and drug scandals that have sparked criticism at home and abroad.

The deaths of patients in Panama from mislabeled drug ingredients from China, deadly toxins in pet food exported to the United States and food laced with hazardous antibiotics and chemicals have raised fears about the safety of China's surging exports.

On Wednesday, Premier Wen Jiabao pledged to improve food safety in a meeting with a visiting Japanese House of Representatives Speaker Yohei Kono, Kyodo news agency reported.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »
Check the SAGHs cookbook the recipe for POW dey.

POW is not greasy, but one of de ingredients is LARD (COOKEN)

BTW me muddah does make dem in de corner shop in Woodbrook, stone throw from Licensing office
Changs cafe on Gatacre St and Metheun St NW side.

I grow up on them things, slight pepper not to burn your taste buds and light seeeeyawww you in business....

Hong Chow still dey?

Not tuh change de subject..but you in Bramptoo too?  I thought I was de onleee one.

Ah only like Hong Chow pow mehself.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: China reporter held over cardboard-in-buns story
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 01:02:30 PM »
CNN.com

Beijing police have detained a television reporter for allegedly fabricating an investigative story about steamed buns stuffed with cardboard at a time when China's food safety is under intense international scrutiny.

A report directed by Beijing TV and played on state-run national broadcaster China Central Television last Thursday said an unlicensed snack vendor in eastern Beijing was selling steamed dumplings stuffed with cardboard soaked in caustic soda and seasoned with pork flavoring.

Beijing authorities said investigations had found that an employee surnamed Zi had fabricated the report to garner "higher audience ratings", the China Daily said on Thursday.

"Zi had provided all the cardboard and asked the vendor to soak it. It's all cheating," the paper quoted a government notice as saying.

A city-wide inspection of steamed bun vendors in the wake of the report had found no such cases, the paper said.

Beijing TV had apologized for failing to check the report's authenticity and said it would make efforts to improve staff ethics, the paper added.

China is reeling from a series of tainted food and drug scandals that have sparked criticism at home and abroad.

The deaths of patients in Panama from mislabeled drug ingredients from China, deadly toxins in pet food exported to the United States and food laced with hazardous antibiotics and chemicals have raised fears about the safety of China's surging exports.

On Wednesday, Premier Wen Jiabao pledged to improve food safety in a meeting with a visiting Japanese House of Representatives Speaker Yohei Kono, Kyodo news agency reported.

He make up dat?  Fox news open ah branch in China or wha?

Then again,,Even if de government lying to protect deyself...dey go real lorse he in jail
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »
Arghmmm

Hong CHow...corner of Park street opposite the gas station and Scotia bank?

The name of the place is Kong not Hong...and it is no more.

It is now Trini Flavour restaurant.

If you want a good pow yuh must go Shay Shay Tien on Cipriani Blvd. In fact they have good food hands down.

The main cook was a short Chinee man named spotter and another fella named Chen.

Shay Shay standards drop over the past few yrs but nuttin coulda beat them for Chinese food...not kam Wah, Soongs great wall, china palace, valpark chinese,Swan, Eagles, Panda, hong kong city... none of them.

The closest test they ever get...is a place on Picton street called House of Chan. That had good Chinee food but they close down a few yrs now. In fact I think that restaurant get leveled and it is now Kamwah car park.

Oh well

Carry orn

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:08:20 PM by Touches »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »
Touches , it does still have man sellin chinee food outta dem food truck?...in ah white box

Dat was food long timeoui....if yuh eh ha no fork..yuh rip de top of de  box...de cardboard stiff enough to make ah improvised spoon

come to think of it..I eating cardboard fibers in mih chinee food from long time....so is nuttn
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »
Dutty,

Yuh asking answers...

Line does be long too

The best chinee food truck I ever eat was in a carpark on Maraval road...they used to have a video club there. Its the spot opposite trotters.

Ask for a Beef Kai Fan and pay a 12$.

Also they have two van outside the library one on St VIncent street one on Queen..one selling curry the other chinese.

Lastly they have one on sackville street....that have the longest line.

Yuh does wonder if is "dead water" they does use or put in the food to have people coming back so.

As for the post above with good chinese food...I want to make a amendment....Tiki Village in Kapok hotel top floor...d food there good.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »
Dutty,

Yuh asking answers...

Line does be long too

The best chinee food truck I ever eat was in a carpark on Maraval road...they used to have a video club there. Its the spot opposite trotters.

Also they have two van outside the library one on St VIncent street one on Queen..one selling curry the other chinese.

Yuh does wonder if is "dead water" they does use or put in the food to have people coming back so.

As for the post above with good chinese food...I want to make a amendment....Tiki Village in Kapok hotel top floor...d food there good.

Touches ah was jes going an post tuh yuh comment bout Shay Shay Tien.  dat really was de best Chinee food ever dat ah eat.  Tiki Village is not really chinee..is polynesian or some such ting.  Food good too but dat is ah different class.

It have a fancy Chinee restaurant dong Glenco dat have good Chinee food too but ah cyar remember de name.  It not dere long time.  In ah refurbirshed mini plaza.  If meh memory serve meh correct.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: China reporter held over cardboard-in-buns story
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
CNN.com

I just coming to post an update...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 02:02:32 PM »
Dutty,

Yuh asking answers...

Line does be long too

Touches ah was jes going an post tuh yuh comment bout Shay Shay Tien.  dat really was de best Chinee food ever dat ah eat.  Tiki Village is not really chinee..is polynesian or some such ting.  Food good too but dat is ah different class.

It have a fancy Chinee restaurant dong Glenco dat have good Chinee food too but ah cyar remember de name.  It not dere long time.  In ah refurbirshed mini plaza.  If meh memory serve meh correct.

Shay Shay Tien?!?!

Umm.. I have to come in and throw some flames on dem..

I used to work around the corner from there years ago, buy wonton soup a few times, and buy a box food from dem once.. people in my office watch me like i going crazy...

A woman i worked closely with once bought from there, and at the bottom of the box, fry up nice, nice was a big cockroach.. She throw up one time.  Then i heard the same cockroach discovery account from 2 other people and it was corraborated.

Another time someone bought and got like 2 and a half of dem worms dat does be in pigeon peas.. And u know it worse to find a half than a whole in yuh food..

That place is unhygienic, I would not recommend it..

1]; } ?>