April 24, 2024, 05:18:26 PM

Author Topic: Iraqi captain snubbed Sunderland move  (Read 1433 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Iraqi captain snubbed Sunderland move
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:03:19 AM »
Iraq skipper Younis Mahmoud has revealed he turned down the chance to move to Premier League newboys Sunderland in May.

The striker, currently on duty with Iraq at the AFC Asian Cup, plays for Al Gharafa in the Qatari league but his fine form for both club and country has attracted interest from a number of top European sides.

Younis is the second Iraq international that is believed to have caught the eye of Sunderland after midfielder Nashat Akram earlier admitted his agent is in discussions with the Black Cats.

Younis is regarded as one of Iraq's best strikers after scoring 24 goals in 35 games for the national team.

But the 24-year-old, who also revealed he has been approached by French clubs Marseille and Lille, insists he is not yet ready to leave behind his family.

'I spoke to Sunderland two months ago,' said Younis. ``They asked me but I have a problem and because of my family I will not go.

``Marseille and Lille also spoke with me but my family are in Iraq. I want to take them out but my father likes it there and won't go. Maybe next year I will move.'

www.soccernet.com

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Iraqi captain snubbed Sunderland move
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Re: Iraqi captain snubbed Sunderland move
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »
Iraq have some nice ballers. Them fellas does run till they drop for their country. Is real pressure on them too.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

1]; } ?>