April 20, 2024, 01:37:18 AM

Author Topic: Ivy@50: Leslie Fitzpatrick  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ivy@50: Leslie Fitzpatrick
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:52:49 AM »
Ivy@50: Leslie Fitzpatrick
By Stephen Eschenbach (ivy50.com)

April 25, 2007

He left Trinidad & Tobago for Columbia University, which led to more globe-trotting as a professional soccer player. Now Leslie Fitzpatrick can see a future with a road that leads back to Morningside Heights.

Perhaps Leslie Fitzpatrick's Columbia soccer career was preordained to success because of how he learned of the place. "I had heard of Columbia through a friend of mine, Dexter Skeene," he remembers, saying he "hadn't heard much of Columbia" before speaking to Skeene.

Fitzpatrick was talking to one of the central figures in Columbia soccer history. Skeene, a first team All-Ivy forward in 1985, played in Columbia's 1983 NCAA championship game — a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to Indiana. With the score tied 0-0 "with seven minutes to go Solomon Gayle had a quick combination with Dexter Skeene," coach Dieter Ficken described to the Columbia Spectator last year. "Solomon powered the ball from the penalty spot at the empty goal, but one of our players had made a run and it hit him in the back of the head."

Not that he needed Skeene's recommendation. "I was being recruited by a few nationally ranked schools like University of Connecticut [and] James Madison," he says, "but never really considered them seriously when matched with Columbia. I knew that as long as I was going to attend college before trying to play professionally I should choose the option that gave me the best combination of academics and the ability to still develop myself in soccer. There was always going to be life after soccer, and Columbia's reputation in academia put it head and shoulders above the other options."

Columbia soccer was in something of a doldrums during Fitzpatrick's time there, but he was able to help lead them to a 4-2-1 Ivy mark with a first team All-Ivy performance in 2000 — its best record in six years, He especially remembers "my last collegiate game ever on senior day against Cornell University on my 22nd birthday, where I scored two goals and we won the game 2-1. I think I ran the full gamut of emotions that day from scoring the goals, to it being my birthday, to knowing that another chapter of my career was ending. It was one of the most emotionally charged days of my life."

Academically "it turned out not to be too difficult." He explains, "Trinidad and Tobago schooling is molded in the vein of the British educational system, which is quite demanding and rigorous. Don't get me wrong, there were challenges a lot of times and a few all nighters along the way. But I also had the goal of playing professionally, so I did not want to be forced to delay that further by not graduating on schedule."

He also credits Associate Athletic Director Jackie Blackett. "Jackie had an astute knowledge of the academic standards to be maintained, and assisted in ensuring that as students we not only survived, but excelled while at Columbia."

After graduating with a double major in economics and political science Fitzpatrick played professionally with the Atlanta Silverbacks and Cincinnati Riverhawks, of USL Division 1, and with Real Salt Lake of the MLS. Professionally, "I am a free agent and am entertaining some offers in Europe, Asia, USA and back home in Trinidad," he says. Since 2004 he has also been playing on the Trinidad & Tobago national team, "playing in the World Cup qualification games in which Trinidad & Tobago was successful in making it to the World Cup."

As for the future "without serious injuries, I probably have about seven or eight more years of playing left," he thinks. After that he's considering "doing a graduate degree in International Relations as politics or something within the sphere of the UN." He's also thinking about coaching. "I have done a number of coaching courses while playing," he says, and "this may be an avenue I intend to pursue." If he takes this path, "taking up the job one day as the Head Coach of the Columbia Men's Soccer program is a goal."

Perhaps this goal shows how he feels about Columbia. "In life you always look back in retrospect and would like to change certain things. But if I was given a script detailing my undergraduate years and told I had to do it exactly the same, I would do it in a heartbeat."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy@50: Leslie Fitzpatrick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:02:50 AM »
Very, very impressive.  I actually never knew as much about Tiger as I just learned...Ivy education, double-major, academic honors.  Professional soccer player is the least of his accomplishments and his focus on having a "fall-back plan" beyond football shows that his priorities are properly aligned.  Much respect and wish him well with his dual pursuits.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Nice goin Tigeru have aplan after u hang up your football boots
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
some of the upcoming youths who think they are the best thing since sliced bread need to read this article and learn from tiger.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »
I give the man props.  I also learned stuff about him that I didn't know. 

Hey, as a James Madison Grad, I would have liked to see him perform there.  However, while JMU and UCONN are good academic institutions, getting a degree from Columbia is worth the price he paid for not being as successful on the pitch as a team at Columbia.  Man, could get a job anywhere with that degree.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I am extremely proud of your accomplishments Leslie. I am happy you were able to balance both the books and football. Now you can rely on the degree since your career is on the downside now. I urge you to please reach out to the youths of T&T and tell them of the importance of an good education. Times are getting harder! Just not even a Undergraduate degree wouldn't worth sh@t.

Too many talented players get "chain up" by these selfish/fake coaches in Trinidad about this "great" PFL league (coaches telling them not to take scholarships because they not going to learn a lot as a footballer). Fact of the matter is a All-Star college team will beat or run the best PFL team any day.

I have seen many good youth players given a "raw deal" and also not shown any respect for their services and now they have NOTHING!!!!! No work, No money, No education, No House, NOTHING!!!

Leslie and others, reach out to the youths and help them make the right decision. At least you were one of the smarter ones.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
Good Job!!!!!! hOPE MANY MORE TRINIS CAN BALANCE BOOKS AND SPORT LIKE THAT

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
#CUBlackExcellence | Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick '01CC
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
#CUBlackExcellence | Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick '01CC
By Glenn MacDonald (gocolumbialions.com)

The Columbia University Athletics #CUBlackExcellence Campaign spotlights men's soccer alumnus Leslie "Tiger" FItzpatrick.

Men's Soccer star Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick '01CC left a lasting impact at Columbia, one that is still felt today.  Fitzpatrick still holds coveted spots in the Columbia record books including No. 10 in career goals (22), No. 3 in career assists (22), No. 3 for single season assists (9) and No. 7 for career points (66). During his career at Columbia, he was a four-time All-Ivy League and two-time All-Region honoree.

In 2005, Fitzpatrick signed with Real Salt Lake of MLS. Fitzpatrick, who specialized on the left side of the midfield, joined the expansion team from Atlanta of the A-League. He would go on to play professionally for 10 years in various leagues around the world, including Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

Fitzpatrick also has 30 caps for the Trinidad & Tobago National Team. He had a strong performance against the United States in a 2006 World Cup qualifier, and eventually helped his country qualify for the World Cup. His international youth and senior career spanned 18 years before ending in 2012.

Upon the conclusion of his playing career, Fitzpatrick went on to hold managerial, director and coaching positions at Toronto Skillz FC. He is now the owner/director of his own developmental academy, Train Like Tiger LLC, the executive director of New River United in Blacksburg, Virginia, an assistant coach at Scarborough GS United Women's Soccer Team, and the head coach of the George Brown College Women's Soccer Team, located in Toronto.

Among his many honors, Fitzpatrick was named the 2018 Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA) Central Division Coach of the Year in 2018, after leading George Brown to its first playoff appearance in 20 years. He also led Scarborough GS United to the 2018 Canada Women's Soccer Club Championship.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>