March 29, 2024, 09:39:25 AM

Author Topic: Trini goes after US$1M game-show prize  (Read 6392 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Trini goes after US$1M game-show prize
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »
Trini goes after US$1m game-show prize
Nigel Telesford

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161161314

Wednesday, June 13th 2007

YES!!!: Miami-based Trinidadian Arthur Joseph raises his fist in triumph to his two friends (backs to the camera) as he makes another good choice during the popular NBC game-show, Deal or No Deal. At right is show host Howie Mandell.

Point Fortin native Arthur Joseph will have his chance at taking home US$ 1,000,000 tonight as he continues his largely successful run on the popular NBC game show, Deal or No Deal.

Joseph, a 37-year-old Personal Vacation Planner for the Carnival Cruise Line who moved to the US four years ago to be with his mother, is also the first Trinidadian and one of the few contestants of Caribbean heritage to be featured on the show. After making his appearance during the second half of the programme last Wednesday night, he said:

"I used to watch the show on TV all the time. I love the models and Howie (Mandell) of course, but I wasn't really a fanatic. One of my co-workers at Carnival Cruise Lines convinced me to go to the casting call for the show about three months ago. There were about 5000 people lined up around the Arena, which is bigger than the National Stadium. Eventually, when it was my turn, I had just 30 seconds to tell them what was interesting about myself and here I am on the show today!"

Deal or No Deal involves a contestant, a host/presenter, a banker, and a number of briefcases (or boxes), with each having a different (and initially unknown) value. Each game starts with the contestant selecting one of the cases, but the value of this first case is not revealed until the game ends. During the rest of the game, the contestant opens the rest of the cases, one at a time, revealing its value. Each time after a specified number of cases are opened, the banker offers the contestant a certain amount of money to end the game. If the contestant takes an offer, the game ends. Otherwise the contestant ends up with the money from the first case.

Joseph said the producers of the show were captivated by his Trinidadian accent and his affable personality, which resulted in his rapid advancement through the screening process, which usually takes at least nine months. Joseph said he's a true "Trini to the bone" and has been saddened by the recent scandals which have taken place here in Trinidad. He said these incidents have resulted in negative publicity around the globe for this country and sees his opportunity as a chance to even the scales.

When the show ended last Wednesday, Joseph still had cases valued at thousands of dollars, including the much coveted US$1,000,000 case. The second half of the show will air tonight at 8 pm on NBC, Channel 49.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Trini goes after US$1M game-show prize
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
Go POINTMAN

GO POINTMAN

GO POINTMAN

you'll know how we do it!!!

WHAT!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:18:16 PM »
man make a good deal oui
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:41 PM »
me eh seeing no trini.

it have some guyanese looking boy on now. he mother in a sari.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:58:43 PM »
That guy with the mother in a sari was next - he's from India.

The Trini won about 70,000 and got all kinda Miami heat stuff and they are building a basketball court in his name in Trini somewhere for the youth.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:12 AM »
That guy with the mother in a sari was next - he's from India.

The Trini won about 70,000 and got all kinda Miami heat stuff and they are building a basketball court in his name in Trini somewhere for the youth.

Nice!!  :applause:
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
oh God I miss that one

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
de man do it for Trinidad boy  :applause:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!!!!!!

All da drama for Deal or no deal ?......man cry too yes.....lawd..

Man listen to his moms over his friends..what a good boy  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Jackula mudda a** He should take a page outta dis man book :beermug:  Country over money
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
alyuh miss the part when he say.."I bazodee" so howie ask him what is bazodee he say i confused..so they put it up on the screen...and yuh miss the part where the man come out doing a limbo yes...real fuuny stuff

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
alyuh miss the part when he say.."I bazodee" so howie ask him what is bazodee he say i confused..so they put it up on the screen...and yuh miss the part where the man come out doing a limbo yes...real fuuny stuff

HAHAHAHA would have been funny to watch
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'm jes gonna do it fuh my country...lmao  

fella soundin ah lil offkey like he born in trini n grow in guyana  :devil:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
i neva watch this show nah,and after seein this drama i eh understand the money part.so he win 70k or 1 mill.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
well done brother, some great news indeed!

Quite a contrast to last week's posting of

"de man ain't no terrurruist  jed"

"boy! yu wah meh to mash up yuh camera"
"ah tell yuh to stop flimming meh" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i neva watch this show nah,and after seein this drama i eh understand the money part.so he win 70k or 1 mill.
Nah... I think he took the 70K.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well done brother, some great news indeed!

Quite a contrast to last week's posting of

"de man ain't no terrurruist  jed"

"boy! yu wah meh to mash up yuh camera"
"ah tell yuh to stop flimming meh" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The all-time classic!!  :rotfl: :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »
The man cry, ah model cry,  steel band playin in de studio, men jumpin up to steelpan, Dwayne Wade talkin about a basketball court in T&T, plus he make de right choice becuz he woulda only get $400 if he didn't take de deal.
Real bachanaal on Deal or No Deal!
They went all out yes.

Where de steel band come from?

I guess the network wanted to publicize Miami Heat.
And iz good positive exposure after de terrorist news.

Bazodee yes, that was real kicks.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
The man cry, ah model cry,  steel band playin in de studio, men jumpin up to steelpan, Dwayne Wade talkin about a basketball court in T&T, plus he make de right choice becuz he woulda only get $400 if he didn't take de deal.
They went all out yes.

niceness too bad.ah like he mom though,take de deal son,doh worry bout de house.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »
They went all out yes.

niceness too bad.ah like he mom though,take de deal son,doh worry bout de house.

That really got to me.  :'(

But if I remeber correctly he walked away with US$10,000.00 in cash and they said they are going to fly him down for the dedication ceremony of the basketball court.

A championship ring with his name on it.

First class VIP treatment for HEAT games

A meeting with Shaq and Wade

His face on a poster with the team

and the a free copy of the Miami Heat's promotional video - not sure if he was invited to the tapping.

He really made the right deal first time I ever saw so many ppl on the show cry like that.

Ohh but his lil Latino friend was telling him not to take the deal though  >:( that was not kool.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
i tune in too late. i only see the indian boy.

anybody have the trini segment on video on the net?

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 05:56:12 PM »
Hats of to the man and mom  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 06:36:00 PM by trinindian »

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »
he get 70,700///plus all de odder tings.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:05 PM »

i think the prizes worth 60,700 plus $10,000 in cash..at least that is what howie said..i doh watch de show so i could be wrong.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »

i think the prizes worth 60,700 plus $10,000 in cash..at least that is what howie said..i doh watch de show so i could be wrong.

daiz what i gather as well
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:20 AM »
And now some good news
Keith Smith, Express

Friday, June 15th 2007

ell, he couldn't have timed it better - could he - that Point Fortin Trinidadian, Arthur Joseph, who made a point of celebrating some of his tribe's contributions to this country's culture on NBC's well-watched Deal or No Deal programme,

Ah mean with all the negative publicity T&T has been getting - first from Akon's Zenantics, secondly Benny Hinn's hand harangue and thirdly from all those JFK terror stories - we could do with some positives, and there was Mr Joseph, as recorded for Wednesday's showing, emoting his heart out as he opted out of an opportunity to win a million US dollars by deciding to accept, instead, US$70,000 - of course - and a Miami Heat basketball court building project right here in Trinidad.

From what I have been told - having managed to miss the damn show - even the host, Howie Mandel, was bowled over by Joseph's patriotic love for the place from which he emigrated four years ago to be with his mother, the man coming on stage with a pan side, the NBC studio audience dancing as the pannists ripped out the show's theme song.

Man, it must have been a euphoric time (limbo and all!) what with mother, like son, opting to give up the lure of a promised house (had he won the really big bucks) in favour of the Trini play, unique in the show's history, all previous contestants settling for the personal rather than "nobly" (Mandel's take, not mine) making a push for a favoured place.

Arthur's act has galvanised Trinis here, from all I've been hearing, but how much more must it have moved Trinis over there who have had to take all that Trini terror thing on TV many, if not all of them, still celebrating their "home" country in their hearts in the manner of most migrants, I find, whatever their ties and, indeed, loyalty to their adopted homes.

The late jurist Telford Georges used to say that nothing ever unravels in the normal way where Trinidad and Trinidadians are concerned. He said it somewhat bitterly as if this was inherently a negative trend but it could turn out positively too, out of the blue something happening that reminds you that Trinidad and Tobago is much more than the sum of its sorrows.

You know how many Trinis I know like Mr Joseph? He said that his way was smoothed through the auditions because of his Trini accent and his affable personality. Well, I don't know that a Trini accent is more attractive than anybody else's but I kept being asked by people in North America to talk so that they could hear me "sing" (truth is, I was never sure that they weren't inwardly laughing at me) but, personality-wise, some people here (and, again I guess, elsewhere) are something else.

Glad men, I call them these exuberantly extrovert Trinbagonians of all races and classes who take life at a gallop. There is, at least, one in every village, every club, every ongoing lime - fellers who walk with a spring in their steps and a laugh on their lips, even if they are going into a shop to pawn their wedding ring as a tide-over till payday like Success Village's Ian "Clown Pants'' Pierre who could make you laugh in your mother's wake and Sparrow's late friend and mine, Finnegan, who crashed his red sports car on the Eastern Main Road one fine day, Finnegan dying - so I have heard - laughing in the wind.

Nor am I surprised that Arthur is a Point Fortin feller, Point being something special as a Trini place, its migrant population (Grenada, St Vincent, Barbados, the whole West Indian wherever) making for something of a merry mix (Duke who wrote Nelson's "King Liar" and his own "Streakin Freakin''' from there), per capita, I often swear, the biggest football and kaiso catchment in the world (Iwer and Blue Boy from dey, too) - Warren Archibald, Steve David, Arnim David, Leroy de Leon, Delbert Charleau, Wilfred Cave, Monty Douglas, Winty Hackett and 'bout a hundred others, and more from there as well.

And now with a Miami Heat ball court in the offing, complete with all the hoop-la, don't be surprised if, in a generation or two, "Point" belches out the best basketballers, Point Fortin, I keep thinking, never having been given all its due, priest, pundit and politician never quite knowing where this power place coming from.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 05:45:46 AM »
anyone know where and when I could see this programme again. It sound like it was real fun.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 07:57:52 AM »
It is a damn good thing he did not win the million.

because all now so all he friends and family hiding from the kidnappers  :rotfl:

My dream is to go on that show

But I telling then I from Trinidad Brazil and wearing a disguise too.

I aint taking no chances

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »
well boi look at trouble he from Point an down dey everybody kno everybody and everybody does have atleast 100 close gud friends  :devil: like he go hadda geh de word NO rhel exercise...eh muh boi, throw out ah lil sumting nah...nah mih boi salt...dey en pay mih de full money yet  :devil:
all dat is necessary is necessary

1]; } ?>