March 18, 2024, 09:44:14 PM

Author Topic: Jones back from injury... Spann now at Sunderland  (Read 3036 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones back from injury... Spann now at Sunderland
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »
Jones back from injury... Spann now at Sunderland
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

English-based striker Kenwyne Jones is back from a calf strain and made his first appearance for Southampton on their preseason tour of Norway last week in a 4-1 win over Kvik Halden. Jones made a 70th appearance in the win and is slowly working his way back to full match fitness for his club which narrowly missed out on promotion for the Premiership.
Jones has been the topic of a move to a Premiership club but Southampton manager George Burley quickly commented that the big striker was not for sale.
“It’s nice to know that you are in a manager’s plans for the season,”Jones told TTFF Media on Thursday, “It gives you confidence but in this modern day age everyone has their price as well so I just have to take that into considering and just do my job on the field.”
“Kenwyne Jones is not for sale - it is as simple as that. He is a very key member of the squad for next season. He is young and full of potential and has all the attributes to be a top-class striker,’” Burley had earlier said at the end of last season
The former W Connection and St Anthony’s College hitman says he’s feeling in good shape at the moment and is looking ahead to the new season when he intends to arrive at the 20-goal mark.
“Preseason has been shaping up nicely and I’m in good health. I’m looking forward to having a more fruitful season this time around. We were unlucky  to miss out on promotion and it could be a bit harder this season seeing that our squad is a bit thin this season.
“I am aiming for and hope to reach the 20 goal mark this season. I think if it wasn’t for injury, I could have reached that last season and if all goes well this season I think I can get there” he added.
Jones has not given thought only to club these days. “I do miss playing for my country. It is one of a player’s greatest joys and I do hope whatever happens that we will be able to do so again at some point,” Jones concluded.
While Jones is getting ready for his season, the Sunderland trio of Stern John, Dwight Yorke and Carlos Edwards had another “Trini” among them this week. Triallist Silvio Spann was invited for a stint by Sunderland manager Roy Keane. Having been on trial at Sheffield United with goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams where both men received good remarks from manager Bryan Robson, the two were unable to go on a tour of Ireland due to work permit issues which Robson says will hopefully be sorted out before he can decide on any deals. Spann then got the link with Sunderland.  He had a good look around Sunderland on Thursday with John and Edwards. Meantime T&T national team captain Densill Theobald left Trinidad on Thursday for Hungary where he will begin his one-year deal with Ujpest FC, heading straight into preseason training.
“The club is having a look at him and hopefully for his sake something good can come out of his time out here in England for the last couple weeks,” Edwards said.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 04:08:41 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones back from injury... Spann now at Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
Jones is ah very good striker and hope all goes well for him as for Spann and Jan I really hope they can secure a contract, they both have alot of potential and I wish them the best of luck.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
i can see it now Spann and Carlos dominating midfield, cracking shots from all corner of d feild  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:41:51 PM »
i can see it now Spann and Carlos dominating midfield, cracking shots from all corner of d feild  :devil:
If only...
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
Nice that Kenwyne has return to full fitness as for Silvio ah go comment on d Sunderland thread
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:18:13 PM »
More importantly.... Fuentes givin we news about blue-listed players. Continue to keep it real Fuentes....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »
Oh yes I 4get that Kenwyne is one of the overage players. From some pics that Tallman post all I can say is the brudder find the fountain of youth.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline DAFJ14

• Tactical Maestro
  • New Warrior
  • Step to it right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »
You all realise that Sunderland has no been a catalyst to putting Trinidad on the larger map for a European market? That brings the number of trinis in the EPL to like what 5 or something? That's more than Asians(an entire region) and Americans..i think

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
You all realise that Sunderland has no been a catalyst to putting Trinidad on the larger map for a European market? That brings the number of trinis in the EPL to like what 5 or something? That's more than Asians(an entire region) and Americans..i think

Don't get ahead of yourself. De man ent get sign yet.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »
Nah, it have more Americans and Asians in de EPL. Plus is only until de transfer window close, we go know for sure dat all ah we boys go be playing EPL ball dis season.

Americans:
Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham)
Bobby Convey (Reading)
Clint Dempsey (Fulham)
Brad Friedel (Blackburn Rovers)
Marcus Hahnemann (Reading)
Tim Howard (Everton)
Brian McBride (Fulham)
Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

Asians:
Ali Al Habsi (Bolton)
Sun Ji Hai (Manchester City)
Park Ji Sung (Manchester United)
Dong Fang Zhuo (Manchester United)
Seol Ki Hyeon (Reading)
Lee Young Pyo (Tottenham)

Trinbagonians:
Carlos Edwards (Sunderland)
Dwight Yorke (Sunderland)
Stern John (Sunderland)
Tony Warner (Fulham)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline DAFJ14

• Tactical Maestro
  • New Warrior
  • Step to it right
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
whoa..way to have statistics at your finger tips, still with just those four, that's pretty good representation for a 'third world nation'. Who buying a sunderland shirt?

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »
Don’t ever come on this site and call us a third world nations  :shameonyou: :shameonyou:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 09:49:09 PM »
Spann make one good free kick out of 400,001 and he's king now??? :rotfl:  But goodluck to him anyways

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
While the opportunities seems like they are knocking and while  it looks good for player and country, I wanted to consider the possibility that all these talk of trial maybe somewhat erroneous.

Don't want to 'bust anyone bubble' but simply want to take a different and realistic look at the trials these players are attending.

Let's look at  the quality and amount of talented players out there and ask ourselves how does a Spann rate amongst the others? Realistically, after the Gold Cup one could identify quality mid fielders from  about anyone of the representing country that stood out above Spann.

Even in the U20, one could look at a Capel from Portugal and see some talent compared to Spann. I am not saying Spann is without, but to realistically make a team that is being promoted to the premier league seems far fetched.

I wonder if these teams often bring in players to  be like camp 'fodder' during practice. There may be a chance that a player may show something in a scrimmage that may warrant a second look.

1]; } ?>