April 19, 2024, 02:21:57 PM

Author Topic: Spann's chance to show the Cats.  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spann's chance to show the Cats.
« on: July 22, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
Spann’s chance to show the Cats.
By: Paul Gilder (The Journal).

Roy Keane is considering increasing Sunderland’s Carribean connections after inviting Trinidad and Tobago international Silvio Spann for a trial on Wearside, writes Paul Gilder.
The midfielder arrived in the North-East last week and, although he did not feature in Saturday’s pre-season defeat at Scun-thorpe, Spann was at Glanford Park to watch the Black Cats in action.
Keane, who used his side’s second summer fixture to run the rule over New Zealand Under-20 international defender Jack Pelter, is determined to add ‘three or four’ players to his squad prior to the club’s forthcoming Irish tour.
But, although he is casting his net far and wide, the Sunderland manager remains keen on targets closer to home and is hoping significant progress can be made this week.
With Leighton Baines understood to have expressed a reluctance to sign a contract extension at Wigan, Keane will hope that a breakthrough is imminent in a long-running saga in which three seven-figure bids have been rejected.
And, although he will not increase his £8m bid for Craig Gordon, Keane retains an interest in the Hearts goalkeeper, despite last week suggesting otherwise.
“I wouldn’t go as far as saying that the interest is over,” said the 35-year-old, who has made it clear to the SPL club that he will not match their £10m valuation, a move he hopes will persuade Hearts to lower an unrealistic asking price. “We took it as far as we could. The club (Hearts) have been made aware (of the interest). “The agent has gone through the media, but we like to keep stuff like that private.”
Keane and his squad last night travelled to Portugal for a short training camp, but the Black Cats boss will continue to pursue his leading targets in an attempt to add make further signings before this weekend’s fixture at Bohemians.
“We’re working hard to add maybe three or four players to the squad and we’re hopeful things will happen this week,” explained a manager who is expected to make a fourth attempt to prise Baines from the JJB Stadium this week. “We hope to have another few faces to add to the squad to challenge the players who are already here. I’m confident we will get those players and I’ll be delighted if we do.”
Spann will be determined to showcase his talents to the Black Cats boss having joined up with Sunderland on Dwight Yorke’s recommendation. A player who can count Perugia and Dinamo Zagreb as his former employers is keen to continue his career in England and has been given permission by W Connection, his Trinidadian club, to pursue his ambitions.
Spann has spent two weeks on trial at Sheffield United, although work permit complications have prevented him from travelling with the Blades on their pre-season trip to Ireland.
That has enabled Keane to appraise a player who has won 28 senior caps for the Soca Warriors and who shone at this summer’s Gold Cup in the United States.
The Black Cats boss was also keen to evaluate Pelter, who captained New Zealand at the Fifa Under-20 World Cup in Canada. The 19-year-old played the second half against Scun-thorpe at the weekend and earned the Irishman’s praise for his performance in a testing environment.
Keane could soon have a decision to make on an existing Sunderland player with Hull City boss Phil Brown keen to sign striker Stern John.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:22:56 AM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: Spann's chance to show the Cats.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:26:58 AM »
Yow ....trying times for Stern

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:38:50 AM »
What so trying about that?

I like Stern, but sometimes you just have to be realistic.  I am really hoping for Stern to stay at Sunderland and for him to score double figures in the premier league next season, but i know for sure that it would be an achievenment for him to play double figure games in the league next year.

All in all, i hope he makes the smartest decision.  He is 29/30, nearing the end of his career and has to think about playing games every week and not sitting on the bench in the premier league.

Stern for Hull City!!......go and top score in the Championship!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:43:26 AM »
andre yuh wicked

all that big boy thing stern come down and play if he go back to the championship i go dead with laff next time i see him
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »
ME DOH BIZZNESSS

fire bun hulll

the name phil brown sound familiar who he use to coach??

stern for double figures in the premmm talk dun
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
What so trying about that?

I like Stern, but sometimes you just have to be realistic.  I am really hoping for Stern to stay at Sunderland and for him to score double figures in the premier league next season, but i know for sure that it would be an achievenment for him to play double figure games in the league next year.

All in all, i hope he makes the smartest decision.  He is 29/30, nearing the end of his career and has to think about playing games every week and not sitting on the bench in the premier league.

Stern for Hull City!!......go and top score in the Championship!!

ah love it!!

if Stern stay at Sunderland he may not see double digit minutes, might be better to go to Hull, or another Championship team and tear it up, than to ride pine in the EPL.
that being said I want for him to stay get nuff playing time and buss up the EPL, not sure if thats how its gonna play out .

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
ME DOH BIZZNESSS

fire bun hulll

the name phil brown sound familiar who he use to coach??

stern for double figures in the premmm talk dun

Phil Brown signed Stern on loan from Coventry when he was Derby manager....the Fans there hated the move, mainly cause he had played for Forest and other Midland clubs but also cause they thought he was shit!  I doh think Stern score one goal during that loan spell and Brown suffer bigtime for continually selecting him fuh games. On a positive note, the guy obiviously sees someting he likes and it seems Stern would get a lot of playing time.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »
Yeah at 29/30, I rather Stern gettign to sweat week in, week out. When last he get that?

I sure if he had that, a manager sticking by him through thick and thin like Beenie did (much to our dismay), he will pass 20 goals in the season. Even if he end up scoring 15 of  those between March and May and the first 5 or 6 between August and November they won't be able to fault his contribution when looking at the season as a whole.

And you never know, without the distraction of coming to Trinidad he might score about 4 more between December and February, be the top scorer for two years in the championship and get a chance when he is 31 to shine for 2 years in the EPL.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
Hull manager Phil Brown has confirmed an interest in Sunderland striker Stern John.

The Trinidad & Tobago international is likely to find himself out of the first-team picture at Sunderland next season as Roy Keane revamps his squad.

Michael Chopra has joined for £5million from Cardiff and Brown is keen to learn whether John will be surplus to requirements at the Stadium of Light.

Brown has confirmed he has been in contact with Keane, but insists John's availability was not part of the conversation.

However, should the former Birmingham and Coventry front-man become available this summer then the Tigers boss would consider making a move.

"I have not mentioned Stern John to Roy Keane, but I took him to Derby and he's a very good footballer," Brown told the Hull Daily Mail.

"If a player of Stern John's calibre was to become available, then yes we would be interested, but that wasn't the conversation I had with Roy Keane.

"You are always on the phone with other managers - people who you know and people who you don't know - but you're in contact to see who is becoming available.

"That's all it was, a call to see who is available because of the people he is bringing in."

Source:skysports

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »

He might want to compete for a spot at least up until the Jan transfer window.  Doesn't seem like the type to not at least try for this kinda challenge.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt about Stern's willingness to compete. The issue is whether or not Keane thinks he is worth keeping.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »
Wow if all goes well can the EPL take 4 trinis on one team

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »

He might want to compete for a spot at least up until the Jan transfer window. Doesn't seem like the type to not at least try for this kinda challenge.

I agree here. I say give him at least half d season to see what he could do. Might even hit some form if given the chance.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
Stern where ever u playin I backin all d best hope is in the Premiership but I could live with the Championship if that is what happens
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »
All yuh relax nah man, what really do all yuh? All yuh fail tuh realise de season is ah very long one. Hear meh nah, even if Stern on de bench fuh Sunderland, he will get his chance tuh play some descent amount of games. All yuh forget players does get injured and does lose form during de season. So wid dat said, all Stern have tuh do is keep his head up, work very hard at de training grounds, and when he get his lil minutes show Keane dat he is for real. If Stern stay wid Sunderland, he will have his dip in form like any other player, but he will be fine. Some members here know de game, dey been around de forum for a long time and dey know how Stern does respond tuh pressure, but yet still like dey feel Stern go suck salt fuh de entire season. Remember pressure does buss pipe, but it cah buss Stern. Stern, Supa & De Enterprise, we have faith in yuh meh breddah, my only fear is de transfer rumours, we just praying fuh de dead line tuh come, and see dat yuh still at Sunderland and de rest go be ah rap. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:55:37 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »
When is the dead line fuh the transfer window, could any one help. thanx.            positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
When is the dead line fuh the transfer window, could any one help. thanx.            positive.

I think is the last week in September but I could be wrong.

Yeah Stern boy just keep roy interested and doubtful until the window close and then rip it up in the EPL.

Offline okaki

• Jr. Warrior
  • Go! Silvio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »

I think is the last week in September but I could be wrong.

Yeah Stern boy just keep roy interested and doubtful until the window close and then rip it up in the EPL.

I think the summer dead line of EPL is may be in 23:59 31 Aug.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
I think men doubting stern because he is a lazy type of player but heres the thing it have one thing that will give him playing time and a chance to stay and that is goals plain and simple if he playing shit but scoring his goals he'll stay if he aint scoring keane will sell him talk dun

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
I think men doubting stern because he is a lazy type of player but heres the thing it have one thing that will give him playing time and a chance to stay and that is goals plain and simple if he playing shit but scoring his goals he'll stay if he aint scoring keane will sell him talk dun
So far in his two warm up games he miss about three hundred and two chances. He's not a favorite among Sunderland fans right now. In fact, one of de topics on their forum the other day was "Stern John please die."

I ent wanna be negative. I want to see Stern start every Premiership game and score 20 goals. But... yeah... things ain't look too positive for him at Sunderland. I hope I wrong.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 06:19:06 AM »
The problem with stern is that unless stern scores....stern eh doing much else. It eh like our national team where if better cant be done the worse would have to continue. The amount of competition there for a spot means if you slip you slide. If stern was converting his chances as they came, well this wouldnt even be a thought. However when you missing chances....is a matter of time before they get fed up. If he doesnt take any of the small chances he gets between now and January, he could very well be on his way out. Preseason tells alot about how safe you can feel in the season.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »
I still dou understand when Stern start to throw away so though. He used to be, ''one half-chance, one goal'' for years. We would know that once we get a chance, we want Stern to be on the end cause he is the man who will bury it rather than one of the other strikers who would shoot wild or try to dribble. But now he become...''bound to score...eventually''.

Maybe he just get so good with his reading of the game that he always in place for the chance. Thus, since his number of goal scoring chances are increasing exponentially it therefore follows that the ratio of chances missed would also increase, cause coaches seem to rate him while is the fans who don't. One could hope...

And on the opposite end, if he really just turn into a throw away king I could take some comfort by looking at Patrick Kluivert, Christian Vieri and Robbie Fowler and say this malaise happens to the best

P.S .Somebody should put a note in the title of this thread to indicate is no longer about Spann...lol
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>