April 23, 2024, 11:22:48 AM

Author Topic: It's a hard life for Shakes  (Read 1786 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
It's a hard life for Shakes
« on: July 23, 2007, 04:15:40 PM »
It's a hard life for Shakes
By: Swindon Advertiser

RICKY Shakes believes the life of a lower league footballer is growing increasingly uncertain as the gulf between the haves and the have nots' continues to widen, writes ANDY CRYER.

While the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea show no sign of tightening their belts, far from it, some of their less glamorous rivals are continuing to struggle in the ever growing commercial world of football.

Shakes is just one of a long list of players stuck in the game's hard-shoulder at the moment, scrabbling around just to earn a living while the Premier League stars continue to live life in the fast lane.

The Trinidad and Tobago winger, who was released by Town this summer, has impressed on trial at Brentford but is being forced to sweat on a contract, with the League Two outfit the latest to hit financial difficulties.

He said: "It is very very frustrating. The Brentford manager has said he wants to sign me but we are having to wait on a few financial issues.

"It seems a really good club but like many others at the moment, they are struggling a little financially.

"They are not sure if there is the money for me.

"I know I am not the only player in this situation at the moment all round the country. It seems more players than ever are currently without a club, because there is not the money around any more."

While contract talks continue, Shakes is just trying to focus on Brentford's pre-season with a game against Premier League Reading the highlight.

He said: "At least I am training and am involved in pre-season and so hopefully when something is sorted out, I will be able to slot in straight away. The uncertainty is not a good feeling but you have to accept that is football nowadays. There is no point moaning about it all because it is just the way it is.

"There are better players than me who are without a club. It is an uncertain time, we all know that."

Fellow former Town midfielder Curtis Weston is another currently on trial, at financially-stricken Leeds United, while Swindon-born Michael Pook continues to wait on his new contract.

"It is made," said Shakes.

"We were all part of a promotion-winning team last season and yet this summer are struggling to secure our future.

"You see clubs like Manchester City spending millions on players this summer and the gap between the rich and poor seems more noticeable.

"I am still hopeful something will be sorted out at Brentford though.

"I guess I just have to keep working hard and let the rest sort itself out."

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
Re: It's a hard life for Shakes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
Shakes should move to T&T and look for a Pro League contract be closer to home!!!

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
Shakes should move to T&T and look for a Pro League contract be closer to home!!!

Bu de man home is in England???

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:36 AM »
shakes should go MLS
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »

He has trini parentage he can play for T&T DUHHH!!!!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »

He has trini parentage he can play for T&T DUHHH!!!!!!!

You are making no blasted sense.  The issue isn't whether he can represent ("play for") TnT...your contention is that he should look for work "closer to home" in the PFL.  truetrini point out to you dat de man home is in England, so as far as he concern, he already looking fuh work "closer to home".  PFL/Trinidad ent no blasted 'home' fuh Shakes.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
The man feel home is where u sleep so if he in TNT then he home
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>