March 28, 2024, 08:26:06 PM

Author Topic: RUMOUR: STERN TO PRESTON  (Read 7906 times)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roy's £6m Nugent bid
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
Stern has a talent that few have.

He can put the ball in the back of the net.  MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.  That ability will not be going away in a hurry.

A lot of people write him off and the way he plays...certainly doesn't endear him to people who like their strikers direct and agrressive and tackling back etc.

But a striker's job is unique.  Often a lonely predator forced to hunt on their own.  Their personality MUST be one where they thrive on adversity because along with the glory when you do well comes great abuse when you don't.  You can't be a weak personality and play striker because when you miss....and you will.....you have to keep confidence in yourself that the next one will go in.

So for all de people writin off de greatest goalscorer T&T has ever produced.....do so at yuh peril.  And even if he has come to the twilight of his career (which I feel he far from)....give him the respect he is DUE.  He has EARNED it!

I have been off the forum for a few days, and there are so many threads tuh get caught up with. However, Palos ah read your post and it was real touching, everything you said about Stern, is right on de money :applause: :beermug:. I read it and feel sad in my heart, tuh know de breddah just went tuh Sunderland, assisted in what ever way he cud, tuh help Sunderland get into in de EPL, and now he is linked tuh being traded back tuh de Championship. I know some of us may sit and say, damn I wish I was ah professional footballer, big money, big celebrity life, girls, etc. Yuh know what, looking at what these guys go through, yuh have tuh love and respect not only their talent, but their heart and courage tuh make ah living in de football world and doh give up. Stern as one of yuh supporters, ah really hope yuh doh get traded, I honestly believe yuh cud contribute tuh Sunderland in de EPL. Players do get injured, and some times be out for a long time, and having a man as Stern tuh turn to, dat been there done dat in de EPL, tuh me is a big assest to any team. That is just my lil 2 cents, of course Mr Keane is de boss, and he should know best. Give thanks. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:18:49 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RUMOUR: STERN TO PRESTON
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 04:47:14 PM »
11 June 2007
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=34785-qqqx=1.asp

Irish Examiner

Connolly to leave as Keane lures Nugent

By Phil Campion
SUNDERLAND boss Roy Keane could use Irish striker David Connolly as a bargaining tool in his attempt to sign Preston goal machine Dave Nugent.

It was reported a few days ago that Sunderland offered former Birmingham City striker Stern John to North End but boss Paul Simpson wants Connolly, who to Roy Keane’s dismay has not been part of Stephen Staunton’s international plans.

Sunderland are one of a host of clubs showing interest in Nugent who has been valued at €9m and wants to leave Deepdale following Preston’s failure to win promotion to the Premiership.

Connolly is a proven goal-scorer at Championship level — scoring 98 goals in 245 games, but the 30-year-old former West Ham striker struggled in the Premiership with just one goal in 19 appearances.

The 5’9” striker, who played 41 games for Ireland, scored on his Premiership debut for Wigan in the summer of 2005 but failed to find the net in his other 18 appearances for the Latics that season before joining Roy Keane at Sunderland. Nugent earned a call-up to the England squad in March when he scored on his international debut against Andorra and McClaren told Nugent he needed to be playing Premiership football if he was to further his international ambitions.

Preston chief Simpson said: “There’s been a lot of speculation going around again but when we have something to tell everybody about David Nugent we will tell everybody.

“We are not hiding anything. As much as the rumours are circulating around, until there is anything definite then we have got nothing to say about it.

“We had all the kit for pre-season delivered on Monday and we will be marking David Nugent’s kit up for him because at this moment I am expecting him to come back to us.

“I’m hoping that he comes back to us, but in a way it will be out of our hands, we can’t do anything. We are not trying to sell him, we’ve got him here and we want it to stay that way.”

Nugent, who was eligible to play for Ireland, is part of the England Under 21 squad in Holland for the UEFA Under 21 Championships.
:praying:

Didn't know Connolly was 30;  hopefully this trade may not involve Stern.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
It has been said that TNT is the land of humour and rumour. This is a real TT site nuff kicks and nuff rumours
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »
From what I saw in the press, Nugent going to Everton-his favourite team. Stern, will be good enough for the national team for at least 3 years, no matter what team he plays for. This story a week old.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
Pointman questioning stern's prime? steups!

midknight, yuh forget to put de MLS stats!!

Shit league or not, de man scored 50+ goals in 60+ games in de MLS.

ah love it!!

ps: ah feeling a going and wear meh birmingham city "stern 14" today

I ent questioning Stern's prime ,ah questioning the ascertion that it is past!

Make no mistake STERN JOHN IS MY HORSE, always will be.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
http://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=474841

Keane pulls out of Nugent race
By Tom Adams -  Created on 2 Jul 2007

Preston North End have confirmed that Sunderland are no longer interested in signing England international David Nugent.

The Black Cats were given permission to discuss terms with the striker, along with another unnamed Premier League club, but have now withdrawn an offer which was believed to be in the region of £7million.

Reports in the English media have claimed that Nugent could be holding out for a potential move to boyhood club Everton, with Portsmouth also understood to be keen on the player who scored on his England debut in March.

Sunderland held talks with the striker before he went on holiday at the end of June, and Black Cats chairman Niall Quinn recently rated his club's chances of completing the signing at 50-50.

However, the North East club will now turn their attentions to other targets after Preston confirmed that Sunderland had officially withdrawn their interest.

"North End chairman Derek Shaw received a phone call from Sunderland chief executive Peter Walker at 3.15pm on Monday 2nd July which explained that after discussions with manager Roy Keane, Sunderland football club would be pulling out of their interest in Preston striker David Nugent," confirmed a statement on Preston's website.

Black Cats chief executive Walker has also confirmed that Nugent is no longer a target, stating: "I can confirm that we have withdrawn our offer for the player.

"Naturally, work continues behind the scenes to strengthen our squad ahead of the new season and talks are ongoing with a number of targets."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:42:38 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 06:42:22 AM »
With Chopra’s arrival and Keane interested in adding another forward to last season’s top-scorer David Connolly, highly-rated youngster Anthony Stokes and Daryl Murphy, the long-term futures of Elliott and Stern John appear to lie elsewhere.

Like Elliott, Stern John lacks Premiership pedigree. The 30-year-old’s January signing from Coventry City was seen at the time as a short-term measure to win promotion.

Signing could spark summer sales
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 03:25:23 PM »
Hopes up still for stern!!!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Elliott completes Wolves transfer
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 11:32:31 PM »
Elliott completes Wolves transfer
BBC Sport

Elliott moved to Sunderland from Manchester City in 2004
Wolves have signed Republic of Ireland striker Stephen Elliott from Sunderland for an undisclosed fee.
The 23-year-old agreed a three-year contract at Molineux, and has joined Mick McCarthy's squad in Dublin for their pre-season tour of Ireland.
"I cannot wait for the season to start because I really believe we can push for promotion," said Elliott.
"I have been training with Sunderland so I am pretty much up to date and the fitness will take care of itself."
McCarthy paid tribute to the attacking instincts of his new acquisition.
"I signed him as a youngster at Sunderland so I know a lot about him and what he is capable of," he told his club's website.
"He's a good footballer, he's always a threat up front and he gets goals."
Elliott has scored 22 goals in 81 league appearances since joining Sunderland from Manchester City in the summer of 2004 - for a fee of £125,000 which was set by a tribunal.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 05:32:50 AM »

He can put the ball in the back of the net.  MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. 

That is a misprint or joke right? I agree that the man deserve respect for the service and contribution to the national game. But if you look closer at his attempts at goal, "miss the library" and score. you have to see that he could have a better conversion rate, rite?

"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »

That is a misprint or joke right? I agree that the man deserve respect for the service and contribution to the national game. But if you look closer at his attempts at goal, "miss the library" and score. you have to see that he could have a better conversion rate, rite?

Well then give us the stats then, Mr. Objectivity
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »

spoken like a fella who've never seen him play. if he get sweat this season..take a close look.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »

spoken like a fella who've never seen him play. if he get sweat this season..take a close look.
His performance this season is irrelevant; Your statement was in reference to his past performances, I believe. You made a statement. I'm simply asking you to back it up.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »

His performance this season is irrelevant; Your statement was in reference to his past performances, I believe. You made a statement. I'm simply asking you to back it up.

regardless of the season . I stand by what I say. you have the right to believe whatever you choose.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2007, 09:51:02 PM »
the point is. is he staying or is he a gonnah. to france with his stats. no disrespect to you both,but to much arguement over nothing,whether he's all that or not , i just want to know will he be playing in the prem at least for a half season.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2007, 10:35:14 PM »
the point is. is he staying or is he a gonnah. to france with his stats. no disrespect to you both,but to much arguement over nothing,whether he's all that or not , i just want to know will he be playing in the prem at least for a half season.

Dat is Stern in a nutshell boss...yuh jess never know.

If he stay in de EPL or go back to the Championship...either way is justified because we know how Stern game is.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 10:38:31 PM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2007, 05:07:52 AM »

Dat is Stern in a nutshell boss...yuh jess never know.

If he stay in de EPL or go back to the Championship...either way is justified because we know how Stern game is.

Stern responds to abuse it would seem. If Keane wants to get anything out of him, he should loan him out for the first three months of the season or so. Bet you when he comes back, he plays a big hand in Sunderland stayin up.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »
Striker swoop mooted
By: Clubcall

20070723 16:35 

Hull boss Phil Brown has confirmed he would be interested in Stern John if Sunderland made the striker available this summer.
The Tigers are on the look out for a new striker and Brown, who once signed the player for Derby, would jump at the chance to re-sign him if Roy Keane allowed the player to move on. 

John may struggle for regular action now that Sunderland are in the Premiership and Brown could offer him first-team football. 
"I have not mentioned Stern John to Roy Keane, but I took him to Derby and he's a very good footballer," Brown revealed. "If a player of Stern John's calibre was to become available, then yes we would be interested, but that wasn't the conversation I had with Roy Keane. 
"You are always on the phone with other managers - people who you know and people who you don't know - but you're in contact to see who is becoming available. That's all it was, a call to see who is available because of the people he is bringing in."

Hull Not Interested In Stern John?
By: Vitalfootball

Phil brown has confirmed that Hull City should sign two players before the end of the week, but they will not include a striker from Sunderland.

After the Christian Nade deal fell through, the Tigers boss was rumored to have moved onto Sunderland front-man Stern John. The Trinidad and Tobago forward is likely to move after the club's promotion to the Premiership, but Brown has denied making a move.

Sunderland striker David Connolly has also been mentioned as a possible target but Brown's comments would suggest he is not about to make a move for the former Leicester and Wigan forward. Instead, Brown's desired target is believed to be defender Clive Clarke who can cover a range of defensive and midfield positions.

The other target is unknown although fans shouldn't be suprised if it is Ipswich Town striker Alan Lee, even though the club has claimed they have rejected two of Hull City's offers.

Meanwhile, the Henrik Pedersen saga continues as rumours circulate the player failed a second medical last week. The Danish striker has two weeks remaining, according to reports, to prove to Phil Brown he can play a prominent part in next season's Championship.

Interestingly, Brown did state that one of these two signings will break the club's transfer record, but with that standing at half a million pounds, fans may be left disappointed if they believe the club are about to spend multi-millions before Saturday's Doncaster Rovers match.

1]; } ?>