April 20, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

Author Topic: Aussies Socceroos Achieve Higher Viewing Rating Than Cricket and Aussie Rules  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
In a country that is supposedly crazy about cricket and Aussie rules football, it's good to see that the Socceroos are becoming the most followed sport.  Their recent attendance at the Asian Cup shows that they drew a larger TV following than the so-called established Australian sports.  Nice Read.  The Americans could maybe learn something from then, cause they face similar challenges.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=447449&root=global&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Interesting, also here in toronto I attended a toronto FC game and was suprised to see tassa/riddim section/pan it was de closest ting to we national stadium.....

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In a country that is supposedly crazy about cricket and Aussie rules football, it's good to see that the Socceroos are becoming the most followed sport. Their recent attendance at the Asian Cup shows that they drew a larger TV following than the so-called established Australian sports. Nice Read. The Americans could maybe learn something from then, cause they face similar challenges.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=447449&root=global&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901
That silly ,that is wagganist to the ninth degree .

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
how is that waggonist ?
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Apparently if you show any interest in your national team it's considered 'waggonism' by the so-called 'die herds'.

A waggonist to me is a derisive term used by people so that they can feel that they are part of something elite when in fact they're actually very sad individuals with self esteem issues.

It's like a the argument about 'true fans' I've come across on a few English football message boards which usually boils down to a few individuals who imagine themselves to be superior than everyone else that supports a football team.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Apparently if you show any interest in your national team it's considered 'waggonism' by the so-called 'die herds'.

A waggonist to me is a derisive term used by people so that they can feel that they are part of something elite when in fact they're actually very sad individuals with self esteem issues.

It's like a the argument about 'true fans' I've come across on a few English football message boards which usually boils down to a few individuals who imagine themselves to be superior than everyone else that supports a football team.

Again, this word 'waggonist' is not used by trini's in trinidad, I first heard it from yard man in NYC,which leads me to the understanding that trini's using this slang on this forum are not based in TNT.....

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
post of the Month
Ban de word......... :D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

What u u torking breds ,self esteem issues . Self esteem lets talk about why football ppl ,always want ppl to love football ,by saying look they watching more it more than cricket .Steupppssssssssss .

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Infact let check when u join ......................................                            ok u join long tine  ;D ,usually new ppl is get they feqathers ruffled so easy ...so how come u torking so much shit .
  Is obvious Aus never had such success before ,so ofcourse they will rally . But that part of the article that say So called established Australian sports .Struck me as a dumb line .
f**k u can even say waggonist ,anymore is like ah dirty word ohwah jah :rotfl:

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If I had joined recently would my opinion have carried less weight?  I didn't realize that this was the sole reputable venue for the discussion of T&T football.

It's a shame that my uncles, who took me to football matches as a child, have yet to join this forum because their long years of supporting the national team are are worth nothing here.

Waggonist is only a dirty word (like all others) when it's used it to belittle others.  The word itself isn't offensive, in fact I believe it's proper use would in reference to the Gov't and corporate T&T in general who only step forward to help financially when they can get some publicity whereas at the time when one is attempting to obtain funds develop/train prior to high profile events one would have an easier time getting blood from a stone.

Those bastards are the true waggonists.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
In a country that is supposedly crazy about cricket and Aussie rules football, it's good to see that the Socceroos are becoming the most followed sport. Their recent attendance at the Asian Cup shows that they drew a larger TV following than the so-called established Australian sports. Nice Read. The Americans could maybe learn something from then, cause they face similar challenges.

You need to go back to school.  The article attempts to demonstrate how soccer is making inroads  as a major sport in Australia.  This is not a one-time, one-off occurrence.  The sport is growing, and interest has obviously not subsided or waned since Germany.  It is something that is obviously of concern to the established sports in Australia: Aussie Rules, rugby, cricket, etc.  You sound ignorant there.  Look how man rush yuh for making such inane comments.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You need to go back to school. The article attempts to demonstrate how soccer is making inroads as a major sport in Australia. This is not a one-time, one-off occurrence. The sport is growing, and interest has obviously not subsided or waned since Germany. It is something that is obviously of concern to the established sports in Australia: Aussie Rules, rugby, cricket, etc. You sound ignorant there. Look how man rush yuh for making such inane comments.
You need to Huwsh yah ass ,you could say any ting and man is jump yah on this board steuppsss ,I doh give ah f**k ,I was not attacking u yah know ,c**t . ,but yah so ignorant ,and insultive .But with a fine jamaican name like that it fits .
You tell me millions of aussies start watch football ,after years of no interest ,...and no waggonist plzzz.
And I still stick by what I said this part in bold is a stupiddd line ,nothing socalled in them sport .

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:53:55 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile

You need to go back to school. The article attempts to demonstrate how soccer is making inroads as a major sport in Australia. This is not a one-time, one-off occurrence. The sport is growing, and interest has obviously not subsided or waned since Germany. It is something that is obviously of concern to the established sports in Australia: Aussie Rules, rugby, cricket, etc. You sound ignorant there. Look how man rush yuh for making such inane comments.
Huwsh yah ass ,you could say any ting and man is jump yah on this board steuppsss ,I doh give ah f**k ,I was not attacking u yah know ,c**t . ,but yah so ignorant ,and insultive .But with a fine jamaican name like that it fits .
You tell me millions of aussies start watch football ,after years of no interest ,...and no waggonist plzzz.

Maybe years of grassroots activity and the formation of A-League is enough to sustain and interest interest in the game.  Ever thought about that?  Yuh first word to describe the article (as if yuh really penetrate the material) is "waggonist".  Yuh sound ignorant.  Looks like yuh vocab a bit limited too, cause yuh only using expletives.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Huwsh yah ass ,you could say any ting and man is jump yah on this board steuppsss ,I doh give ah f**k ,I was not attacking u yah know ,c**t . ,but yah so ignorant ,and insultive .But with a fine jamaican name like that it fits .

Maybe years of grassroots activity and the formation of A-League is enough to sustain and interest interest in the game. Ever thought about that? Yuh first word to describe the article (as if yuh really penetrate the material) is "waggonist". Yuh sound ignorant. Looks like yuh vocab a bit limited too, cause yuh only using expletives.
Is scary to tink ,cause everyting the Aussies touch in sport is turn to gold .The have some of the best faciltities and training tech on the planet . And you still sound like u like to call ppl names ,so yeah hush yah ass .

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I just didnt understand why you call it waggonist. Football has slowly been building in Australia, I lived there in 1996 for a year and have been back since in 2001 and in that time I have seen the growth of football. Now you see people playing in the parks etc which you hardly so before. Also the growth of it in the media has been a big help, previously it was covered on SBS the smallest channel in Aus. and very late at night. Now all the main channels carry it leading to a huge growth in viewing figures.
Australia previously used to compete in the Pacific region and as you can imagine Australia vs Solomon islands was not really interesting as compared to Australia vs Japan.

just didnt think it was fair to label supporters as waggonist since the the world cup it has continued to grow.
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If I had joined recently would my opinion have carried less weight?  I didn't realize that this was the sole reputable venue for the discussion of T&T football.

It's a shame that my uncles, who took me to football matches as a child, have yet to join this forum because their long years of supporting the national team are are worth nothing here.

Waggonist is only a dirty word (like all others) when it's used it to belittle others.  The word itself isn't offensive, in fact I believe it's proper use would in reference to the Gov't and corporate T&T in general who only step forward to help financially when they can get some publicity whereas at the time when one is attempting to obtain funds develop/train prior to high profile events one would have an easier time getting blood from a stone.

Those bastards are the true waggonists.

Well said
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This whole waggonist talk surface again.... ???

It's simple- so called die hards feel that "waggonists" shouldn't share their joy in the good times, because they didn't share the pain in the bad times.....it's really no one's problem but the so called die hards who put themselves up on some imaginary pedistal....

it's all bullshit in the end....because on any given day, the players on the field enjoy all the support they can get, and that is what counts.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>