April 27, 2024, 07:42:39 AM

Author Topic: Jan Michael gets contract offer from Sheffield United.  (Read 8443 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jan Michael gets contract offer from Sheffield United.
« on: July 24, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
Jan Michael gets contract offer from Sheffield United.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago National Team goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams has been offered a deal by English Championship Division club Sheffield United and is expected to sign with the team early next month subject to a work permit approval.
Williams, the 22-year-old custodian of W Connection, returned from England on Monday, all smiles after learning from Sheffield head coach Bryan Robson that he wanted to sign him to the club and was confident that he will secure the necessary paperwork to go through with the deal.
The former St Anthony’s College player spent nineteen days on trial at the club after undergoing a previous trial in Hungary with Ujpest FC. He was subsequently offered a deal by Ujpest but requested time to make a decision due to the Sheffield trial. The Hungarian club allowed Williams up to July 11 because of their transfer deadline and things turned uncertain after the player suffered an ankle injury two days into his trial with Sheffield. But persistence and faith paid off.
“The experience in Hungary was good. I did well enough and the President and Head coach wanted me to sign. They offered the deal but I wanted to go to England and nothing was going to stop me. But then I got injured on the second day at Sheffield and had to do rehab for the next eight days and the deadline for the Hungary deal came up. That definitely had to be one of the hardest decisions in my career having to turn down the deal but I kept faith and it so turned out I did well enough after recovering and Sheffield made the offer in the end,” Williams told TTFF Media on Tuesday.
He added that doctors told him it would take eight days before he could resume the trial and the team physio worked feverishly to get him well again and he eventually resumed light training on July 11.
“The rehab there was ten times more intensive than normal training because I spent up to six hours day working on getting back well, but it was worth it.”
Sheffield requested that Williams spend an extra week and goalkeeper coach Andy Leaning relayed to him that the club had seen his performances against Guatemala and United States at the CONCACAF Gold Cup and were impressed. Robson, the former England captain, signed on as head coach in May taking over from Neil Warnock while assistant manager Brian Kidd has a rich history, having worked as assistants to Sven Goran Eriksson with the England team and Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.
“He (Leaning)  said they saw the games and were interested in me. They kept me for an extra week and when I eventually resumed the trial I conceded the most amount of goals ever in a small sided game.” Williams laughed.
“But then I played a full trial game and did my part. We won 2-0 and the manager and the president said well done but I still wasn’t sure until the receptionist at the hotel told me next morning that I was all over the back page of the newspaper and Robson had made some good comments about me. After my agent gave me the news on the phone, he (Robson) and the chairman then spoke to me and made the offer and said they hoped to me get back up to the club in the quickest possible time once the permit came though. They said that they would find the necessary solution to ensure they sign me,” an excited Williams added. Sheffield has Ireland international Paddy Kenny and Ian Bennett as two other first team goalies.
Currently terms and conditions of the contract are being worked out. Williams added that Spann left for Sunderland earlier this month after playing one game during his trial at Sheffield.
“I think the Pro League is of a good standard. It may not be as high as the Premier League or the Championship Division but it helped give me this opportunity to make it to the next level. I heard about the trial at Sheffield since last year but my aim was to get the caps and maintain my place in the National team and I did just that and I’m grateful for that opportunity. Now hopefully I can continue to use this new experience as a way of bettering myself as a goalkeeper and an overall professional,” stated Williams who has 18 appearances for T&T and was also the number two goalie for T&T at the 2001 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:49:19 AM by Flex »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jan Micheal Gets Contract offer from Sheffield United
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
Congratulations Jan...big signing  :applause:

Hope the work permit goes through and you start doing your thing soon

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
Well done!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »
Lovely.  See how dem clubs does scout the globe.  They saw him competitively and then got the chance to see him in training.  Well done.  Good age to go to England.  Normally, with the exception of Shaka, our keepers go to England too late, thus making it harder to get to the EPL.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
Great news!! Congrats to Jan-Michael!!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »
Congrats Jan respect everythime!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
All American

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:31:32 PM »
this is ah reel reel reel good signing for jan...our push to 2010 relly needed at least one of our young keepers to get this level of exposure...he can only get better and better...i wonder what they made of spann as nothing was said of him...hmm...anyways much respect to d boys...!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:31:50 PM »
God Bless!! Jan.

Offline okaki

• Jr. Warrior
  • Go! Silvio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
Condrats Jan :beermug:

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »
This could be a benefit to the whole Jackula mess that has seen our first-teamers left out of tnt football. Having our B team get international exposure means more of those guys have a chance of getting signed abroad, which means developing better as a player, something they wouldnt be able to do if our A team played the Gold Cup
Hart for president

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 05:32:19 PM »
Boi shot !!!!!!! I hope Spann ent wreck his chance by going sund doh .

ps Supporter NJ gambinos ,rig game 6 eh  >:(

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »
ok another ting 4 the pray list Fadder let the young man get he work permit
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Anyone have that newspaper cliping he talking about?
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
Good going Jan.

I know he will return an even better player.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
Congrats Man. Now make the most of it..........you have the potential to go far.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 07:49:26 PM »
ah glad

keep saving de way yuh know how
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
Good stuff today is a good day  ;D

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »
Congrats Jan. Learn as much as you can, work hard(make that money) and come back and represent T&T to the fullest!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
Congrats Jan hope that work permit will be no problem :beermug:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
Great news for the Soca Warriors!  Now a hope those Brits in the Home Offfice don't mess up with his work visa.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:20:01 PM »
Well done, ,now you have to work harder than you ever did in your life. :applause: :applause:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »
Well done Jan...I am one of your harshest critics but always a supporter.  I was down on you for giving up too many rebounds during Digicel Caribbean Cup, but was thrilled that you did a complete 180 during Gold Cup.  You did yourself and your country proud, and godspeed in getting back to England and burning yourself and TnT football a path to glory.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:31 AM »
Big Up Jan!! This is real good news, doh play wid dat Gold Cup exposure jed. He getting whatever documents he need, meh even worried bout dat, ah want to believe dat old ex 'English Captain
' have a lil weight. IMHO
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 01:37:34 AM »
i guess dis mean we hav anodda team tuh support on saturdays...hope it aint hav dem lil footballs by jan name tho...

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 01:50:43 AM »
Lovely.  See how dem clubs does scout the globe.  They saw him competitively and then got the chance to see him in training.  Well done.  Good age to go to England.  Normally, with the exception of Shaka, our keepers go to England too late, thus making it harder to get to the EPL.

This is why the blacklist has damaged Sanchos chances. A good Gold Cup performance would have had chmpionship clubs lining up. However, wihout the blacklist, maybe Williams and Spann wouldn't have been spotted.

Funny game, football. One mans misfortune allows another to prosper.

Its great for the players, but we have to start bringing foreigners into the ProLeague to maintain the standard there.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:27 AM »
na i think williams and spann wouldve been selected even if the reel warriors were in the selection pool...williams cuz is time to throw in a young keeper in d mix and spann cuz is spann or gorm

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 06:45:20 AM »
bessah luck jan...hope yuh wuk permit scene go be straight forward
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 07:13:59 AM »
Congrats Jan Micheal hard work pays off. Continue to outwork your competitors!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 07:14:55 AM »
Paddy Kenny has signed a three-year contract extension at Sheffield United.

The goalkeeper has put pen-to-paper on a new deal which will keep him at Bramall Lane until 2010.

The Republic of Ireland international, who had been linked with a move to Bolton, becomes the latest player to commit his future to the Championship club.

Nick Montgomery, Alan Quinn and Derek Geary have all recently agreed new long-term contracts with United, much to the delight of Blades manager Bryan Robson.

"After looking after Monty, who has proved his worth on the pitch, particularly last season, I'm now delighted Paddy has followed suit and is settled," Robson told the Blades' official website.

"He is happy to be playing with Sheffield United and I believe I've got probably the best goalkeeper in the division.

"There was a lot of paper talk about Premier League clubs sniffing around but he is first and foremost our player."

skysports

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jan Michael gets contract offer from Sheffield United.
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 08:31:13 AM »
very good move for Jan..i am a little worried though as he aint go be playing much games ( if any) other than reserve games..cause paddy kenny realll good

1]; } ?>