March 28, 2024, 02:23:25 PM

Author Topic: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's  (Read 19561 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
AH man tell me ah should put dis up fuh all to see. Hopefully peace will reign after some edumification of our football brains  ;D ;D ;D

This is only ONE reason why being a goalkeeper is so incredibly difficult. We' re not supposed to save penalties but we do :)
Blessings and enjoy de night.
Richard G.

Saw this a couple years ago...what you said there was key, I just added a little extra....most people have zero idea how every little thing affects everything a GK does in every aspect: from seeing to processing to thinking to reacting......to recovering.  That is why when people that have never played the position or never done one day's worth of training like to open their mouths and say what a 'keeper could/should and couldn't/shouldn't have done in any given situation, sometimes I can only laugh.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
Gianluigi Buffon is one of the leviathans of world football. Italy’s undisputed No1 for the last 15 years, the venerable Juventus goalkeeper is a natural successor to the great Dino Zoff, a fellow FIFA World Cup™ winner at the ripe old age of 40. 

Since making his debut for La Nazionale against Russia in Moscow on 29 October 1997, Buffon has added another 125 caps to his collection. A world champion with his country at Germany 2006, where he won the Yashin Award for the Best Goalkeeper, the peerless Italian custodian has captained his country since the arrival of Cesare Prandelli in the dugout in 2010.

A commanding presence both on his line and off it, Super Gigi – as his many admirers call him – has lost none of his powers at the age of 35 and has no plans to retire just yet. Still hungry for success with Juve, he also has high hopes for the national team, who are flying high in their qualification group for Brazil 2014 and who will represent Europe at the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 this June.

Reflecting on the many highlights of his illustrious career, the great Italian keeper spoke exclusively to FIFA.com.

FIFA.com: Up until the age of 14 you played as a defensive midfielder. Legend has it that it was the performances of Cameroon keeper Thomas N’Kono at Italy 1990 that made you want to be a goalkeeper. Is that right?
Gianluigi Buffon: Yes it is. It was Thomas N’Kono and his spectacular saves that made me fall in love with the position. He quickly became my hero and I called my son Louis Thomas in his honour. After he was born N’Kono called to congratulate me.

They say that goalkeepers are like fine wine: they get better with age. When do you think keepers reach their peak?
I don’t know. Obviously when you reach 30 it’s a crucial point in your life, and it’s the same in sport. Once you get past 30 you have to draw on your experience when you play and when you train. You need to work hard to stay at the same level. After that ...

Do you think goalkeeping captains can fulfil their duties when they are so far away from the action?
I’ve never felt that being a captain is just about wearing an armband. A real captain is one who plays an important role for the team on the pitch and in the dressing room, regardless of the position they play in.
Which defender do you or did you have the best understanding with?
There are five, no question: Fabio Cannavaro, Lilian Thuram, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini.

Is a big save as important as a goal?
I honestly think it is. Goalkeepers know that it’s hard for them to make up for any mistakes they might commit. It’s a position that demands total concentration. You can never afford to relax.

What’s the most important save you’ve ever made in your career?
It’s very hard to pick one out in particular. Luckily, I’ve had quite a few, though I think one I made from Zinedine Zidane in the Final at the 2006 World Cup in Germany was probably the most decisive.

In your first season with Juventus in 2001/02 you let in just 23 goals in 34 league matches. Is that still your record?
It’s the best defensive record for sure. It would be great if we could manage to improve on what we achieved 11 years ago.

You’ve made nearly 800 appearances at club level and 126 for your country. Which coach has had the biggest impact on you and has understood you better than anyone?
I don’t want to be boring but I think every coach has had a decisive impact on my career development. I have to say, though, that Antonio Conte is definitely the best coach I’ve worked with. In a short space of time he’s managed to breathe new life into a team that in two seasons could do no better than seventh place. And he was a winner straightaway.

Which striker has posed you the most problems?
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a really great player who has always impressed me and given me problems.

Which defender would you like to have had in front of you?
I couldn’t choose any better defenders than all the ones I’ve already played with.

What does Juventus mean to you?
A life of success, struggle and commitment. It’s a family I’ve grown up in and helped others to grow in. It’s a kind of life choice, a way of life.

According to Andrea Agnelli the extension of your contract involves nothing more than a handshake because you are what he describes as ‘a decent person’ and you are ‘at home at Juve’.
That’s right. There’s not much more you can say about it. When you build up an  excellent relationship, as in this particular case, you don’t really need words to come to an agreement.

What goes through your mind as a 35-year-old national team captain when you see kids aged 19 coming into the side?
That time stops for no man. I made my debut when I was 17 and now I’m 35. I can’t stop the clock from ticking, but I’m very much at peace with myself and I’m not worried about it. The future belongs to the youngsters and I’m just trying to pass on the experience I’ve acquired over the years.

Italy are playing a more expansive game these days. Has that come at the cost of their traditional defensive strengths?
Thanks to the excellent job Cesare Prandelli is doing, I think we’ve found a balance between defensive solidity and an attacking approach that allows our great forwards to express themselves better.

Do you see the FIFA Confederations Cup as a dress rehearsal for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil?
More than anything it’s an excellent test.

Which team would you like to meet in the final?
Brazil, because of their history and because it’s always exciting to take on the host country.

You bought your hometown club Carrarese Calcio a little while ago. Should we call you the Captain or the President?
Just call me Gigi. That will do.

From FIFA

giggsy11

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Good read-love me some Gigi! Total class!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
Thank you, 'seeker, this was nothing less than I expected from Buffon.  He has always been a class act and always been the best of his time in my book.  :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

giggsy11

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
Gigi > Casillas!  Buffon in the 2006 WC- the Italian commentator added to the enjoyment.

http://youtu.be/4gjVggY6IRo

Trendsetters Buffon, Casillas keep it legendaryPosted by Michael Cox-ESPN

On Thursday afternoon, Italy and Spain meet yet again -- this time for a Confederations Cup semifinal in Fortaleza, Brazil. When Gianluigi Buffon and Iker Casillas exchange pendants and contest the prematch coin toss, there'll be a particularly warm embrace -- you usually witness that between a pair of goalkeeper-captains anyway, but Buffon and Casillas are becoming particularly familiar foes.

This will be the 11th time Buffon and Casillas have met -- four times in Champions League clashes between Juventus and Real Madrid, and now seven times for their national sides. Their amazing consistency over such an extended period, and their status as World Cup winners, means both should be considered among the all-time goalkeeping greats, and while this remains very much a friendly rivalry, it has arguably become the greatest goalkeeping battle of all time.

The duo rose to prominence at a staggeringly young age -- a 17-year-old Buffon famously kept a clean sheet on his debut with eventual Serie A champions Milan in 1995 and made his international debut just two years later. Casillas, too, made his senior debut at 17 and was an international -- and a European Cup winner -- by 19.
Now 35 and 32 respectively, the longevity of the two goalkeepers is particularly astounding, and these days, we marvel at their caps record. Buffon has 131 caps and will surpass his old teammate Fabio Cannavaro's record before next summer's World Cup, while Casillas is already Spain's most-capped footballer, on 146.

However, they were already trendsetters once they'd established themselves as international regulars and dependable choices for major club sides. Traditionally, goalkeepers established themselves at a later age than outfield players, but Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech was particularly inspired by Buffon and Casillas' precocious development.

"Oliver Kahn, Peter Schmeichel and Edwin van der Sar inspired me early in my career," Cech told UEFA last season. "Then Buffon appeared and changed everything. Later, Casillas was very interesting -- he started to play for Real Madrid, historically one of the best teams in the world, at the age of 17 or 18. So I told myself: 'OK, if he can play for a big club so young, age is not an obstacle, there is no reason why I can't make it too.'"

However, even Casillas defers to Buffon -- who is three years older, and therefore became established slightly earlier. "Buffon has my admiration and maximum respect," he told Onda Madrid ahead of their meeting in last year's Euro 2012 final. "He is an exceptional goalkeeper and is still amongst the best. For goalkeepers that are a little younger than him, he has been a reference, he has driven us and we wanted to be like him. We have a good relationship and every time we meet it is a pleasure."

There's a subtle but passionate rivalry between Italian football and Spanish football, involving both technical and stylistic differences, and a sense of direct competition considering Spain have overcome Italy on their way to the past two European Championships. Whether an individual prefers Buffon or Casillas is probably a reflection on whether they've absorbed more Serie A or La Liga over the past decade -- similar debates could be had between Andrea Pirlo and Xavi Hernandez, Fabio Cannavaro and Carles Puyol or Alessandro Del Piero and Raul Gonzalez. But the competition between Buffon and Casillas is so interesting because it remains so basic -- relatively few tactical or fitness concerns come into it, and it's a straight battle between two talented players.

Casillas looks up to Buffon literally as well as figuratively, as the Italian is nine centimetres taller than the Spain No. 1. The difference is obvious when the duo embrace, and it's also a key factor when it comes to commanding the penalty area -- Casillas' all-round goalkeeping game is less impressive than Buffon's. Casillas rarely strides from his goal line to claim crosses and relieve the pressure on the defence, whereas Buffon is an amazingly imposing, powerful figure. It's always a little difficult to know quite whether Buffon qualifies as 'tall,' in the Francesco Toldo mould, or "big," like Angelo Peruzzi. He's both.

Buffon remains a considerable force in the penalty box, and a huge presence inside the goal itself. That simple concept of "presence" shouldn't be underestimated for goalkeepers in top-level sides, who frequently need to make only two or three saves per match but are capable of outwitting opponents psychologically on the rare occasions they glimpse the whites of the goalkeeper's eyes.

Buffon's distribution is also better, which is a little surprising considering Casillas comes from the Spanish school that favours short passing from the back. However, Casillas' throws and kicks are much less impressive than his two understudies in the Spain national side, Victor Valdes and Pepe Reina, who both developed at Barcelona, where they were encouraged to play out from the back at an early age.

With Real Madrid usually playing with a big, powerful No. 9, Casillas is more accustomed to kicking long than goalkeepers at many top-level modern sides. Buffon might not be renowned for long, Schmeichel-style overarm throws, but his kicking is good -- his calm forward passing enables the likes of Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Pirlo start passing moves from deep.

In terms of leadership, the two men have different approaches. Buffon is a vociferous, old-school leader who barks out instructions to his defence and noticeably leads the singing of the national anthem. Casillas is more timid, leading by example and leaving on-field leadership to centre back Carles Puyol when the centre back is fit, although Casillas' relationship with Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez has been crucial in keeping the Spain squad harmonious, despite recent Clasico-based tensions.

Casillas' strong suit is the traditional goalkeeping attribute -- his reactions are incredible, which means he's an astonishingly capable shot-stopper, and marginally superior to Buffon in this respect. Casillas' dives seem more elastic and far-reaching, and his lightning quick footwork to scramble across his goal line compensates for his relative lack of height. The only drawback, in this respect, is Casillas' tendency to palm the ball back into play, and Real Madrid have often conceded goals from rebounds over the past decade.

When comparing two goalkeepers, traditionally the superior shot-stopper is automatically considered the better option -- that, after all, is their primary responsibility. The Buffon versus Casillas debate, however, prompts you to reconsider your views on goalkeeping in general: Casillas is marginally more impressive at making saves, but Buffon is superior in all other areas.

•   Tags: Real Madrid|Iker Casillas|Gianluigi Buffon|Juventus

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:39:40 PM by Giggsy11 »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »
Nice article.  I believe that over the course of their careers, I'd give Buffon the edge, as he has greater range on crosses, to go along with his great shot stopping abilities.  Casillas is probably the more athletic of the two, but he is less consistent on crosses.  Buffon has been the epitome of composure over his career.  Not much between the two, and I'm sure Casillas has his supporters too..

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
will miss both of them when they retire
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
This weekend was yet another horror show from Hart, and is about time he see some bench. Give Pantimillon an opportunity.

From the time the English start to hype him up as one of the best goalkeepers in the world and start to compare him with Casillas, Buffon, Cech etc, i notice a big change in his disposition and i believe it has affected his game. He went from someone trying to make a name for himself and keep his spot to someone who thought he reach and enjoying all the spoils that went with that.

I heard that Platt said if Mancini was still at City, Hart would be on the bench because they agreed a deal to sign Begovic.

If i was Pellegrini, i'd put him on the bench and make him realize that he have to earn back a spot especially in this World Cup year because his head seems to be all over the place.

Basic fundamental errors game after game, no excuse for that from a supposedly top class goalkeeper.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
This weekend was yet another horror show from Hart, and is about time he see some bench. Give Pantimillon an opportunity.

From the time the English start to hype him up as one of the best goalkeepers in the world and start to compare him with Casillas, Buffon, Cech etc, i notice a big change in his disposition and i believe it has affected his game. He went from someone trying to make a name for himself and keep his spot to someone who thought he reach and enjoying all the spoils that went with that.

I heard that Platt said if Mancini was still at City, Hart would be on the bench because they agreed a deal to sign Begovic.

If i was Pellegrini, i'd put him on the bench and make him realize that he have to earn back a spot especially in this World Cup year because his head seems to be all over the place.

Basic fundamental errors game after game, no excuse for that from a supposedly top class goalkeeper.

Agree that he'd have been benched by Mancini.  He's going through a rough patch right now, that he can hopefully ride out.  Everytime the English think they finally have a world class keeper on their hands, he ends up in a rot.  In terms of current form, Ben Foster seems to be the best of the English keepers right now.  I still think Hart is the longterm #1 though.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »
Right now, Brad Guzan is making a serious case to be the US #1.  He has really developed ever since being given the starting job at Villa:  he has great range on crosses, great shot stopping ability, and organizes his young backline very well.  Howard is still Klinsmann's choice, but Guzan is ready to step in, if Howard loses form.  Based on form over the last year, I'd give the edge to Guzan, but as they say in boxing, you need to erase any inkling of doubt when yuh challenging the champ for the title.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »
Right now, Brad Guzan is making a serious case to be the US #1.  He has really developed ever since being given the starting job at Villa:  he has great range on crosses, great shot stopping ability, and organizes his young backline very well.  Howard is still Klinsmann's choice, but Guzan is ready to step in, if Howard loses form.  Based on form over the last year, I'd give the edge to Guzan, but as they say in boxing, you need to erase any inkling of doubt when yuh challenging the champ for the title.

Agreed... What I like about Guzan out of all the keepers in the EPL is that he is the most aggressive in coming for cross balls... Anything flighted in the air he going for and winning, teams actually think twice before flighting diagonal balls into the box.

Very commanding presence, and as with all US keepers, excellent reflexes as well. In front of a better defence he would probably be getting alot more pips like Mignolet is getting at Liverpool.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

Agreed... What I like about Guzan out of all the keepers in the EPL is that he is the most aggressive in coming for cross balls... Anything flighted in the air he going for and winning, teams actually think twice before flighting diagonal balls into the box.

Very commanding presence, and as with all US keepers, excellent reflexes as well. In front of a better defence he would probably be getting alot more pips like Mignolet is getting at Liverpool.

Mignolet has been great thus far.  His weakness:  not great with his feet like Pepe Reina, and so we can't build from the back as we want to.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
Anyone make out William Yarbrough? GK for Leon. Eligible for Mexico and the US. One wonders what will become of that. Will the folks in Chicago make a move? He certainly has a heightened profile after pulling off the title.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »
He'll probably hold out for Mexico, and if that's not moving declare for US.. Obviously he should go where his heart is, but he's unlikely to make the Mexico team as they have a bunch of good keepers (hell if Ochoa is kept out of the team you know how good they are!)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
He'll probably hold out for Mexico, and if that's not moving declare for US.. Obviously he should go where his heart is, but he's unlikely to make the Mexico team as they have a bunch of good keepers (hell if Ochoa is kept out of the team you know how good they are!)

Time is on his side. He's GK young, and a tick to two ticks younger than the go to figures in the position. Mainly, I'm intrigued by the reverse migratory flow that led to his presence in MEX, but I don't have a firm technical/tactical/mentality assessment of his standing. However, what's clear is he kept like a beast in the apertura final, and frustrated America's ambition to lift the title. In doing so, he won several plaudits. Now, Herrera moves on from America to concentrate on the NT's Brazil WC venture, and he'll be faced with the choice of selecting 3 GKs for Rio. The door is not closed to WPY, but he's probably a player for the the post-WC cycle.

Ultimately, one way to neutralize him is to cap him.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »

Time is on his side. He's GK young, and a tick to two ticks younger than the go to figures in the position. Mainly, I'm intrigued by the reverse migratory flow that led to his presence in MEX, but I don't have a firm technical/tactical/mentality assessment of his standing. However, what's clear is he kept like a beast in the apertura final, and frustrated America's ambition to lift the title. In doing so, he won several plaudits. Now, Herrera moves on from America to concentrate on the NT's Brazil WC venture, and he'll be faced with the choice of selecting 3 GKs for Rio. The door is not closed to WPY, but he's probably a player for the the post-WC cycle.

Ultimately, one way to neutralize him is to cap him.

Klinsmann probably onto him already.  Even more so than Mexico, the U.S. is stacked at that position.  There are about 10 of them playing in Europe, not to mention the very capable stock that exists in the MLS.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
Been asking myself this question for years:  Why hasn't Julian Speroni been called up for Argentina?  It's an utter disgrace that Sabella called up two GKs that are second choice GKs at Monaco and Catania for Argentina's recent friendly.  Speroni has been consistent over the last 10 years.  He left Argentina early, and that is often a disadvantage for South American players.  But with today's info superhighway, there is absolutely no excuse for not scouting this fella.  He is excellent at shot stopping, very capable on crosses, and has great presence.  Definitely having another great season for Crystal Palace.  Call up the man, Sabella, and stop with this bias shit.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
Been asking myself this question for years:  Why hasn't Julian Speroni been called up for Argentina?  It's an utter disgrace that Sabella called up two GKs that are second choice GKs at Monaco and Catania for Argentina's recent friendly.  Speroni has been consistent over the last 10 years.  He left Argentina early, and that is often a disadvantage for South American players.  But with today's info superhighway, there is absolutely no excuse for not scouting this fella.  He is excellent at shot stopping, very capable on crosses, and has great presence.  Definitely having another great season for Crystal Palace.  Call up the man, Sabella, and stop with this bias shit.

The AFA is aware of Speroni. His name emerges in almost every conversation about WC selection, and he's certainly a candidate for inclusion. However, perhaps at the margins of the 3rd spot. Keep hope alive.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
look out for this name

Simone Scuffet.

Plays for Udinese....this guy is good...very good and he's only...wait for it...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
look out for this name

Simone Scuffet.

Plays for Udinese....this guy is good...very good and he's only...wait for it...

Looks like they have the next Buffon in waiting?  Will do an assessment of him.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

The AFA is aware of Speroni. His name emerges in almost every conversation about WC selection, and he's certainly a candidate for inclusion. However, perhaps at the margins of the 3rd spot. Keep hope alive.

That is the problem: he should be #1.  Argentina is not producing and has not produced a truly world class GK in quite a while, so he should not have to be waiting line for a call-up.  It'll be a bloody shame if Speroni is selected as 3rd choice for the WC, especially if the two in front of him are not playing for their clubs.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

That is the problem: he should be #1.  Argentina is not producing and has not produced a truly world class GK in quite a while, so he should not have to be waiting line for a call-up.  It'll be a bloody shame if Speroni is selected as 3rd choice for the WC, especially if the two in front of him are not playing for their clubs.

I don't disagree. Thing is Sabella (like his Mexican counterpart) is very comfy/loyal with players he has worked with previously or has familiarity with. This doesn't assist Speroni.

Frankly, without considered reflection, aside from Heinze I can't think of another player who navigated having made it into the European pro ranks on his own steam at an advanced age ... then into the national team. Both had foreign passports. Even Messi has had to win over the Argentine faithful to a degree ... having left at a young age, although acknowledged to be the future by AFA, he had to win the hearts of the guys in the street. Fortunately for Speroni, he hasn't done or said anything that I'm aware of to irritate the hierarchy ... so hopefully he can penetrate ... but Sabella is said to be stubborn.

We've seen ARG goalkeeper changes at the WC so we never know how it might play out ... for instance, Leo Franco in for Abbondanzieri in '06 and in '90 (Goicochea in for Pumpido). Sergio Romero has experience ... I'm not a great fan, but he has international experience aplenty. Andujar as well. The third ... Orion you can see in action on the Riquelme thread ... I would take Speroni over him.

I think it's a chemistry decision. However, whoever they take ... they need to be blooding a heir for 2018 ... a 20-something. None of these guys will linger long on the international stage.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »
From Lincoln Phillips.

Great thread on goalkeeping, I am really enjoying the comments made and hope that you continue enlightening the readers on the art of goalkeeping. However, there is one thought that I do not agree with.... a goalkeeper does not have to be consistent to be considered a world class player.

Take it from me, in order to be considered a "world class" a goalkeeper MUST be consistent. Yes, the player may have a bad game every now and then, where he gives up a goal that is quite savable.

However, a world class (quality) goalkeeper therefore, is one who gives up an own goal (his fault)one in every 20 games...that shows consistency on his part.

I firmly believe and will always support the notion that consistency is the cornerstone to quality goalkeeping. Please refer to my book: Soccer Goalkeeping: The last Line of Defence: The First Line of Attack.....see Amazon.com. I am in the process of revising the book and would entertain comments and suggestions on how to improve the presentation. Your comments are always welcomed.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Casillas and Buffon have made their own fair share of blunders, all keepers go through that. I remember Casillas against Betis just watch a Betis player, 10 yards from him and roll a pass to him.  Who could forget Buffon gaff vs Inter? So it go!

Yep, the very best make mistakes.  Point is, that they don't do it often, so it stands out when it happens.  Then, you have the next level of keeprs that will make a mistake every 3-5 games.

Agreed.  Below was my assessment on world class GKs and frequency of mistakes.  I'd even beg to put a range of 15-20 games without howlers; reason being that the new swirveing balls are being made more in the favor of strikers and have proven to be a nemesis for many a GK today.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
From Lincoln Phillips.

Great thread on goalkeeping, I am really enjoying the comments made and hope that you continue enlightening the readers on the art of goalkeeping. However, there is one thought that I do not agree with.... a goalkeeper does not have to be consistent to be considered a world class player.

Take it from me, in order to be considered a "world class" a goalkeeper MUST be consistent. Yes, the player may have a bad game every now and then, where he gives up a goal that is quite savable.

However, a world class (quality) goalkeeper therefore, is one who gives up an own goal (his fault)one in every 20 games...that shows consistency on his part.

I firmly believe and will always support the notion that consistency is the cornerstone to quality goalkeeping. Please refer to my book: Soccer Goalkeeping: The last Line of Defence: The First Line of Attack.....see Amazon.com. I am in the process of revising the book and would entertain comments and suggestions on how to improve the presentation. Your comments are always welcomed.

Mind you, my GK coach actually used this book to guide his sessions when training me, and had me read from it for homework.  Great book!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Lincoln's book ... Soccer Goalkeeping: The Last Line of Defense, The First Line of Attack is a boss read and a great resource. Available on Amazon etc.

Ah feel a commi$sion in order!  :)

From Lincoln Phillips.

I am in the process of revising the book and would entertain comments and suggestions on how to improve the presentation. Your comments are always welcomed.

Great move, there's a dearth of quality material out there.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
From Lincoln Phillips.

well said Lincoln and a great book that is definitely a great read.
Totally agreed on the consistency aspect of a goalkeeper. That level of safety and confidence from a goalkeeper further assists his defense as they have one less thing to worry about, knowing their keeper has things under control.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
regarding Speroni vs. everyone else.

Dont think it would be wise to throw him in the deep-end

Speroni has no caps at the senior level
and argentina probably have like 3 games before the WC to get things together...WAYYY too short a time frame to slot him in i think
maybe he can be their 2nd string
but at that lvl experience carries a lot of weight (See Casillas and Julio Cesar---although with these 2...there is a larger pool of high quality keepers to replace them)

I think that with Argentina there are not many options to choose from right now..
Romero is a top lvl keeper still...just having a rough time at Monaco
cant see Andujar taking over either

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
regarding Speroni vs. everyone else.

Dont think it would be wise to throw him in the deep-end

Speroni has no caps at the senior level
and argentina probably have like 3 games before the WC to get things together...WAYYY too short a time frame to slot him in i think
maybe he can be their 2nd string
but at that lvl experience carries a lot of weight (See Casillas and Julio Cesar---although with these 2...there is a larger pool of high quality keepers to replace them)

I think that with Argentina there are not many options to choose from right now..
Romero is a top lvl keeper still...just having a rough time at Monaco
cant see Andujar taking over either

He is Argentine like the rest of them and still has strong ties back home.  He is a professional and would grab at the opportunity to play.  He'll be playing among his fellow nationals, which should make for a more seamless adjustment.  You should go with the best, and right now, he is technically the best in the Argentine GK pool.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
The reality is Chelsea rate Courtois. He has long been earmarked as the successor to Petr Cech at Stamford Bridge, his progress in Spain scrutinised on a weekly basis by the goalkeeping coach, Christophe Lollichon. "We liaise each week and I watch videos or go and see him," said the Frenchman, who had scouted the 17-year-old Courtois in Belgium eight or nine times to assess his ability. "For me, he is the next No1 in the world. He is exceptional. I never see this quality before, except [with] Petr.

"He is very intelligent, technically very good. Tactically he has to improve, and we work a lot with the video. I send him every week or every two weeks, depending on the schedule, my analysis of his games. I send him my answers. He is happy with the club he is at and with the level of competition. It is very difficult because Chelsea always need the best, so now we have to find the good timing [as to when he returns to his parent club]."

At some stage Lollichon and Mourinho will have to have an awkward conversation with Cech about succession, though that time is not yet. With that in mind, there has been some anxiety among the hierarchy at Chelsea that Courtois's contract will have only two years to run this summer. There have been talks with his representative and there will be further negotiations aimed at securing the goalkeeper to a new five-year deal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/11/chelsea-atletico-madrid-thibaut-courtois

1]; } ?>