March 28, 2024, 02:31:09 PM

Author Topic: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's  (Read 19562 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
Keeper Pfannenstiel backs up Goddard at Whitecaps

German goalkeeper Lutz Pfannenstiel has been acquired by the Vancouver Whitecaps to back up Tobago born Richard Goddard between the sticks. From the Vancouver Sun:

Keeper goes global
Pfannenstiel crosses four continents to end up with Whitecaps
By: Dan Stinson

His new teammates might have thought they had it tough when they played six straight road games over 20 days in late June and the first two weeks of July. But that would rate as only a minor inconvenience in the nomadic career of Lutz Pfannenstiel, the latest and most widely travelled goalkeeper signed by the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Four continents, 19 teams, and more than 270 games of globe trotting preceded Pfannenstiel's July 3 agreement to ink a contract with the defending United Soccer Leagues First Division champions, who have struggled on the road but now have eight of their remaining nine regular-season games at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium.

"My early impressions are the talent in the squad is good," Pfannenstiel said Tuesday as the Caps prepared for a Friday home game against the Seattle Sounders following a marathon journey to the U.S. southeast and northwest that resulted in one win, two losses and three ties. "Travelling for long periods is hard on any soccer team, but I've seen enough of the Whitecaps to know that we can turn our recent struggles into positive results. The challenge is to make the most of these home games on the schedule."

A 34-year-old native of Zwiesel, Germany, Pfannenstiel was signed by the Caps following the departure of regular starting 'keeper Tony Caig on June 20 for what the club described as "personal reasons." Acquired as Richard Goddard's back-up, Pfannenstiel made a promising debut by posting a shutout in the Caps' 0-0 tie with the expansion Carolina RailHawks on July 3. But he also saw playing time in a 2-1 home-field loss to Miami FC on July 14 and in a 2-1 loss to the host Portland Timbers on July 19.

Pfannenstiel's pro career started in 1989, at age 16, with FC Bad Kotzting of Germany's Bavarian Oberliga. He was good enough to earn a transfer to famed German powerhouse Bayern Munich and had early dreams of remaining with the multiple Bundesliga champions. But Pfannenstiel soon realized his chances for regular first-team playing time with Bayern were very limited behind legendary starter Oliver Kahn.

Pfannenstiel's subsequent travels included stints with club sides in England, South Africa, Singapore, Belgium, New Zealand, Canada, Norway and Finland either as an under-contract or loan player. His longest time with a team was with Finnish Premier League side TPV Tampere from 1993 to '95, and one of his shorter stints was with the Calgary Mustangs. He played one season with the Mustangs, in 2004, before the franchise folded.

"I knew about Lutz when he played in Calgary," said Caps head coach Bob Lilley. "He had a reputation as a good shot stopper and became a good option for us after we lost Tony Caig."

Lilley hasn't decided whether Goddard, a Trinidad and Tobago native, or Pfannenstiel will start against Seattle as the Caps aim to snap a four-game losing streak. But the man between the posts better be sharp. Regular starting centre backs Steve Klein (hamstring) and Adrian Cann (foot) were nursing injuries Tuesday and are likely to sit.

A definite injury scratch is productive striker Eddy Sebrango, who has scored a team-leading seven goals. Sebrango underwent surgery on his left foot last Thursday and is expected to be sidelined until late August.

TnT in Germany RSS feed
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:29:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »
Fellas, starting this thread to give some love to the most neglected, often underestimated, least understood position onthe field: the goalkeeper.

I'll add some fuel to the fire with some stuff up for debate:

• Is Joe Hart knocking on the elite group of GK's that are branded as world class?  While he is yet to play in a major tournament for England, his performances for City have been brilliant.  He seems to be very consistent, with great concentration powers, and an ability to make the great save after periods of inactivity.   His shot stopping ability is second to none.   
  • Even the best GK's make blunders; the issue is on the frequency.  How often are they allowed to make such mistakes, before they are branded error-prone.  They say the great ones make routine errors every 10-15 games, maybe 20.
  • World's best:  Casillas, Buffon, Cech,...?  Gigi  seems to be back to his best.  What happened to Julio Caesar?  He seems to have fallen off a bit.  What allyuh think?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:19:27 PM by Tenorsaw »

giggsy11

Re: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »
So MSN Uk had this article written on 07/12/11, that ranked the 20 goalies in the EPL-the identified-save %,shots faced and saved, shots parried into traffic and penalties saved.

So here are the bottom 5
20th-Blackburn-52.4% shots saved
19th-Chelsea-55.8%
18th-Arsenal-57.4%
17th-QPR-60%
16th-Bolton-62.3%

Top 10
1. United-79.4% shots saved
2.City-77.4%
3. Swansea-76.5%
4.Spurs-76.1%
5.Newcastle-73.9%
6.Fulham-72.9%
7.Liverpool-72.1%
8. Aston Villa-71.2%
9.Wolves-70.5%
10.Sunderland-70.3%

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Fellas, starting this thread to give some love to the most neglected, often underestimated, least understood position onthe field: the goalkeeper.

I'll add some fuel to the fire with some stuff up for debate:

• Is Joe Hart kocking on the elite group of GK's that are branded as world class?  While he is yet to play in a major tournament for England, his performances for City have been brilliant.  He seems to be very consistent, with great concentration powers, and an ability to make the great save after periods of inactivity.   His shot stopping ability is second to none.   
  • Even the best GK's make blunders; the issue is on the frequency.  How often are they allowed to make such mistakes, before they are branded error-prone.  They say the great ones make routine errors every 10-15 games, maybe 20.
  • World's best:  Casillas, Buffon, Cech,...?  Gigi  seems to be back to his best.  What happened to Julio Caesar?  He seems to have fallen off a bit.  What allyuh think?

man, dont put cech name wit buffon and casillas..cech does have too many brainfarts that u cant even see happening wit buffon...buffon was and still is number one...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
Yeah, De Gea has been forced to make a lot of saves for a 'keeper playing for a top side, and maybe it says a lot about Man U's backline.  Sir Alex has been forced to make a lot of changes to the back four, and he doesn't seem to have decided on a first choice back four, all guys available and healthy.  That said, De Gea has a lot of maturing to do, and will have to wait his turn to be the #1 for the Spanish senior team.  There's a lot of world class, and still relatively young talent in front of him: Casillas, Reina, and Valdes.  He seems to be gradually coming to terms with the EPL, which is notorious for its lack of protection offered to GK's, compared to the Continent.  His shot stopping is great, but he probably needs to improve on his range on crosses (as Reina had to do when he arrived in England), and he then will have to be more assertive.  The final part is hard to do, considering his age and the level of experience that is playing in front of him (Vidic, Ferdinand, and Evra).

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
Tenor, yuh cross meh mind today.  Doh watch EPL alot, but lately been taking in some City games and was wondering what yuh thought about Joe, ah know it early, but is he up there w/Casillas et al?

I eh guh lie, de man instincts and reaction time incredible, wow.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
Tenor, yuh cross meh mind today.  Doh watch EPL alot, but lately been taking in some City games and was wondering what yuh thought about Joe, ah know it early, but is he up there w/Casillas et al?

I eh guh lie, de man instincts and reaction time incredible, wow.

Horse, I am normally critical of the current state of English GK's, but Cole is the bright lone shining star.  I initially questioned Mancini's decision to give him the #1 shirt over Shay Given, but he has justified that faith enormously.  This season alone, he has allowed City to earn about 6 points that they otherwise should have not earned.  He is good on crosses, has good distribution, commands his area well, and has unbelievable reflexes and shot stopping ability.  His positioning is also very good.  He's been in the making for a while now.  When Casper Schmeichel was having his unbelievable run at City about 4 years ago, Sven Erickson said that he had a decision to make between the two, and that Hart was better on crosses.  He eventually went with Hart.  He is knocking on the door of the elite 'keepers; he just needs a solid Euro next year, and they will stoping questioning that.  As it stands right now, he is probably top three form-wise, but he now has to turn that into class, and that takes a longer period of consistency.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
Horse, I am normally critical of the current state of English GK's, but Cole is the bright lone shining star.  I initially questioned Mancini's decision to give him the #1 shirt over Shay Given, but he has justified that faith enormously.  This season alone, he has allowed City to earn about 6 points that they otherwise should have not earned.  He is good on crosses, has good distribution, commands his area well, and has unbelievable reflexes and shot stopping ability.  His positioning is also very good.  He's been in the making for a while now.  When Casper Schmeichel was having his unbelievable run at City about 4 years ago, Sven Erickson said that he had a decision to make between the two, and that Hart was better on crosses.  He eventually went with Hart.  He is knocking on the door of the elite 'keepers; he just needs a solid Euro next year, and they will stoping questioning that.  As it stands right now, he is probably top three form-wise, but he now has to turn that into class, and that takes a longer period of consistency.

Yeah Hart (doh wah yuh get cuss by Mango Chow  ;D) been boss so far this season... his reflexive saves is what catches people eyes, but he seldom seems out of position or prone to the miscommunication and mistakes plaguing the other English keepers.

Vorm cyah get no luv?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »

Yeah Hart (doh wah yuh get cuss by Mango Chow  ;D) been boss so far this season... his reflexive saves is what catches people eyes, but he seldom seems out of position or prone to the miscommunication and mistakes plaguing the other English keepers.

Vorm cyah get no luv?

Vorm has been a great buy for Swansea.  For a while, the Dutch looked like they would find it hard to find a successor for Van der Sar, but now they have Stekelenberg, Vorm and Krul.  Vorm and Krul also have caps for Holland, although Stekelenberg seems to be the # 1 when fit.  Vorm is a great shot stopper, and he doesn't seems to be error prone.  Krul has been a revelation for Newcastle this season, so much so that Harper was sent out on loan for a while.  Vorm is definitely in the top-5 GK's this year in the league, in my opinion. 

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »
Tenorsaw, thanks for startin' this lil' GK tree house, jed, it is/was much-needed.  I rate Buffon and Casillas (in that order) as the two very best in the world and certain attributes they have, put them head and shoulders above their nearest contenders.  To me, the two of them play the most error-free football at their position and it's the main reason that I do put Buffon ahead of Casillas.  I haven't witnessed or heard of Casillas making any errors lately, but over their respective careers, it seems as though Buffon has made less....if he's even made any at all.  I doh even find he had really drop off any when he came back from a long injury a couple seasons ago.  He had lost plenty weight, but he was still sharp and aggressive. I think Manuel Neuer is really the one that comes closest to the two of them.  You said pretty much every thing that I was going to say about De Gea (but ah switchin' places between Reina and Valdes in the Spanish team pecking order. Doh beat meh fuh meh bias! :D)

Even though I don't agree with most of his critics on the quantity and quality of Cech's errors, I DO agree that something is wrong.  If yuh arkske me, I think something wrong with my WHOLE dam team, the entire back line and consequently, with him as well.  I thnk one way or another, he needs new challenges.  He is still a world-class 'keeper in my book, but I think either a new scenery, some new defenders around him or a new contender to push him is something HE needs.  the rest of the team have other issues. 

Joe Hart is hands down, the best in-form and top 'keeper in England right now, without a doubt and I agree with you on your position on the Dutch 'keepers, but I would Add Kenneth Vermeer (Ajax) to the list. Also performing well in England: Tim Howard (still Everton's best player....which says alot about that team) Brad Friedel is still an AMAZING GK! and Mark Schwarzer is as steady and consistent as ever....he jes' playin fuh a bad team. 

Some very good ones on d continent: Hugo Lloris (Lyon) Steve Mandanda (Marseille) Samir Handanovic (Udinese) Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli) and Christian Abbiati when he fit.   I think Julio Caesar goin' thru d same issues as Cech....he look like he jes decide to take a break from the whole "world's best 'keeper" talk.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »

Yeah Hart (doh wah yuh get cuss by Mango Chow   ;D) been boss so far this season... his reflexive saves is what catches people eyes, but he seldom seems out of position or prone to the miscommunication and mistakes plaguing the other English keepers.

Vorm cyah get no luv?

I think everbody (yourself included) knows why I would point out your error and not anybody else's and, no, is not because anybody "stalkin'" yuh.

Tenorsaw, the only thing I will kinda disagree with you on, is that, a player (GK) doesn't necessarily have to show consistency over time to be considered of world class level.  I remember that it was clear to everyone when Buffon had made his debut for Parma, that he was going to be something very special.  Same thing when Casillas took over from Bodo Illgner, who himself was one of Germany's best and same with Manuel Neuer.  I don't think England have to look any further than Joe Hart for a long time to come.  He has been knocking on the door for a few years, and I, too, wwas surprised when Mancini put him ahead of Shay Given....I guess we all now see why he did it.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:19:15 AM by Mango Chow! »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »

Yeah Hart (doh wah yuh get cuss by Mango Chow   ;D) been boss so far this season... his reflexive saves is what catches people eyes, but he seldom seems out of position or prone to the miscommunication and mistakes plaguing the other English keepers.

Vorm cyah get no luv?

I think everbody (yourself included) knows why I would point out your error and not anybody else's and, no, is not because anybody "stalkin'" yuh.

Tenorsaw, the only thing I will kinda disagree with you on, is that, a player (GK) doesn't necessarily have to show consistency over time to be considered of world class level.  I remember that it was clear to everyone when Buffon had made his debut for Parma, that he was going to be something very special.  Same thing when Casillas took over from Bodo Illgner, who himself was one of Germany's best and same with Manuel Neuer.  I don't think England have to look any further than Joe Hart for a long time to come.  He has been knocking on the door for a few years, and I, too, wwas surprised when Mancini put him ahead of Shay Given....I guess we all now see why he did it.   

Chow, you can have a GK make a world class save, but that could be more of a less common feature for that keeper.  "ou're as good as your last save" as what my GK coach would tell me in college.  The good keepers are able to maintain consistency match after match.  Hurelho Gomes is a good example of a GK who could be world class at one moment, and then make a howler 5 mins later.  He can't be considered world class. World class, in terms of ratings, is reserved to those that have done it consistently and have turned potential into assured performances over an extended period of time.  Hart has the potential to be world class, but he needs to show it over time.  Paul Robinson started out very much like Hart (although I think Hart is probably the more talented at that age), creating a big splash for Leeds in the Champions League, making the England #1 jersey his, and then came a series of never-ending blunders.  That seriously damaged his reputation and he never recovered.  That's why I am saying Hart is knocking on the door, but he needs to put more seasons together like this one, before he is hailed as elite.  He's definitely knocking though.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Tenorsaw, I undersatnd alot of people/coaches take that position and that's cool.  But there can be exceptions to the rules.  Buffon, Casillas and Neuer were exceptions to the rules.  The guys you mentioned and other guys, like David James, you HAD to apply that rule to THEM because even from early on, they showed that propensity to make mistakes, show poor decision-making, poor communication/connection with the defense, etc.  Robert Green, Paul Robinson, all ah dem recent English "keepers, for all their brilliance, showed something uncertain about them.  I think we have seen enough of Joe Hart that my insinct tells me he's the real deal.  His youth and athleticism is a big plus for him, but he shows a lot of confidence and makes the saves whether he is busy or not.  I think his Englad defenders will fack him up but I think he more than just knockin' on the door.   :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Tenorsaw, I undersatnd alot of people/coaches take that position and that's cool.  But there can be exceptions to the rules.  Buffon, Casillas and Neuer were exceptions to the rules.  The guys you mentioned and other guys, like David James, you HAD to apply that rule to THEM because even from early on, they showed that propensity to make mistakes, show poor decision-making, poor communication/connection with the defense, etc.  Robert Green, Paul Robinson, all ah dem recent English "keepers, for all their brilliance, showed something uncertain about them.  I think we have seen enough of Joe Hart that my insinct tells me he's the real deal.  His youth and athleticism is a big plus for him, but he shows a lot of confidence and makes the saves whether he is busy or not.  I think his Englad defenders will fack him up but I think he more than just knockin' on the door.   :beermug:

Chow, I am inclined to think that Hart will be the first world class English 'keeper in a long time, but I'll be cautious to call him world class.  He has world class potential, and just needs to continue doing what he's doing.  He does not really need to change anything; just keep on playing and the accolades and tags will follow.  That's all I'm saying.  Right now, he should be included in the top-10 GK's in the world, so I suppose you'd have to say he's world class.  So let's say he's world class, but not yet great like Buffon and Casillas.  Those two are in the category of "legendary".  I hope that clarifies my view.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
Tenor... This is ah bess, bess thread you start here boss. Big up.

Joe Hart is definitely having an excellent season and had a monster game yesterday against Arsenal. These is the kinda performances that show that a quality goalkeeper is worth an extra 10 points at the end of a season, and why I was so critical of Wenger for not investing in the goalkeeping department. Imo a big factor in them missing out on titles (incl Carling Cup) in the last couple seasons is the whole Almunia/Fabianski/Sczezney adventures they had to deal with at crucial part of the seasons. If the cheap so and so had just drum up the extra 1m pounds Fulham wanted for Schwarzer it wouldve made a big difference, but that being said its worth it to note that Szezcney has solidly established himself this season.

As for De Gea he has been very good but there is something I notice about his game not sure if men see it.. I think he tries too hard to be a calm goalkeeper, but sometimes as a result of that he is too nonchalant and gets caught out of position or caught by surprise by certain situations.. A good few times i see where is like the play developing and he just not prepared for something that happen quick and its like it does surprise him.. Most notably Dzeko bullet in the Charity Shield and the cross he end up sticking his foot out for that lead to Basel first goal in the CL. But i see other plays during the game where its almost like he didnt expect someone to shoot so quick or a ball to come across the box so fast and end up reacting late.. Could be him just adapting to that higher level. I think he is an excellent shotstopper but still has some way to go.

Every year there is a goalkeeper in the best form for a calendar year.. Year before it was Julio Cesar and last year it was Neuer. But for me the hallmark is those who can keep their level consistently, season after season.. Casillas is the greatest ever for me, then Buffon and Van Der Sar.

By de way, who tell allyuh Buffon never make a mistake?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zH3eWlgwXCg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zH3eWlgwXCg</a>

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
I ain't arguing your view, man, Tenorsaw.  I think I am more having to clarify mine than anything else and I am just offering up the reasoning behind it, that's all.  I like to go with my instinct.  But I think I made it clear that I wasn't putting him (or anybody) in the same category as Buffon and Casillas.  I hope that is not how my comments were coming across. 

dinho, I see dat long time man.  ;D  I eh sayin' he never make one, ah jes emphasizing that they are extremely rare.  Arkske Tenorsaw, Casillas make enough mistake in he time. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:38:21 AM by Mango Chow! »

giggsy11

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

Joe Hart is definitely having an excellent season and had a monster game yesterday against Arsenal. These is the kinda performances that show that a quality goalkeeper is worth an extra 10 points at the end of a season, and why I was so critical of Wenger for not investing in the goalkeeping department. Imo a big factor in them missing out on titles (incl Carling Cup) in the last couple seasons is the whole Almunia/Fabianski/Sczezney adventures they had to deal with at crucial part of the seasons. If the cheap so and so had just drum up the extra 1m pounds Fulham wanted for Schwarzer it wouldve made a big difference, but that being said its worth it to note that Szezcney has solidly established himself this season.

As for De Gea he has been very good but there is something I notice about his game not sure if men see it.. I think he tries too hard to be a calm goalkeeper, but sometimes as a result of that he is too nonchalant and gets caught out of position or caught by surprise by certain situations.. A good few times i see where is like the play developing and he just not prepared for something that happen quick and its like it does surprise him.. Most notably Dzeko bullet in the Charity Shield and the cross he end up sticking his foot out for that lead to Basel first goal in the CL. But i see other plays during the game where its almost like he didnt expect someone to shoot so quick or a ball to come across the box so fast and end up reacting late.. Could be him just adapting to that higher level. I think he is an excellent shotstopper but still has some way to go.

Every year there is a goalkeeper in the best form for a calendar year.. Year before it was Julio Cesar and last year it was Neuer. But for me the hallmark is those who can keep their level consistently, season after season.. Casillas is the greatest ever for me, then Buffon and Van Der Sar.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zH3eWlgwXCg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zH3eWlgwXCg</a>

Regarding DeGea, it sounds like you describing him not staying focus through out the match. Which should be expected for a young keeper and you have older keepers that do it also. I defenitely agree that some of the mistakes he has made are due to him not being mentally prepared to deal with the situations that came his way. That was one of Van Der Sar's strengths! Hopefully DeGea develops that area of his game.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »

Regarding DeGea, it sounds like you describing him not staying focus through out the match. Which should be expected for a young keeper and you have older keepers that do it also. I defenitely agree that some of the mistakes he has made are due to him not being mentally prepared to deal with the situations that came his way. That was one of Van Der Sar's strengths! Hopefully DeGea develops that area of his game.

I think he'll be great eventually.  Sir Alex is purposely shielding him, making sure that he is not overexposed and that his confidence remains intact after slip-ups.  He gives him the occassional rest, going with Lindegaard at times.  In all fairnesss, Lindegaard has done nothing to hurt his claim to be the # 1 at Man U, but it is understandable that when you spend so much on a GK, as Sir Alex did, you'll want to justify that spend by giving him all the opportunity to show why 18 mil was spent.  Man U seem very deep in that position.  Amos is not too bad, but needs to go out on loan, and kusczck is still there too.  I don't think Kusczck is bad, but he seemed to not get along with Van de Sar.  Not sure that was the best way to deal with Van der Sar the legend, especially when you train everyday with him.  Goalkeeping is like a fraternity, and it's important for them to have good comraderie and motivate each other in training.  That is not always the case though.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
...didn't know that Kusczck had dem problems.  You're absolutely right, that would have been an unwise approach to that situation.   

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
...didn't know that Kusczck had dem problems.  You're absolutely right, that would have been an unwise approach to that situation.   

Kusczck come out in the media and say Van der Sar doh talk to him and he gives him no advice.  Wrong place to air out dem gripe.  Pull de man aside and ask him what is the deal.  Yuh training with the man everyday and expect him to deal with yuh normal after that?

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »

Kusczck come out in the media and say Van der Sar doh talk to him and he gives him no advice.  Wrong place to air out dem gripe.  Pull de man aside and ask him what is the deal.  Yuh training with the man everyday and expect him to deal with yuh normal after that?

Kusczck is not a number type goalie. Great shot stopper, can't kick which puts his defence under a lot of unneeded pressure and is error prone. To much time between the sticks and his consistency drops. He good enough tuh give you spot starts anything more and he becomes a liability.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »

(loud buzzer!!) "Wrong move!!  :laugh:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
always difficult to evaluate, because some keepers playing behind weak defenses and are dealing with shots and crosses, far more than others.

However, their are several besides the obvious that need to be considered
IMHO
Stekelenburg   Holland - Roma
Lloris              France - Lyon
Valdes            Barca - Spain
Amelia            Italy - Milan
Muslera          Uruguay - Galatasaray
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »
always difficult to evaluate, because some keepers playing behind weak defenses and are dealing with shots and crosses, far more than others.

IMHO

well SOMEBODY aggre wit meh 'bout Valdes!  :laugh:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »

IMHO

I like Lloris and Stekelenberg.  Although men might consider him a headcase, Artur Boruc has done well since he went to Fiorentina.  He's always been good, but I believe his attitude has scared off a lot of the bigger teams.  Marchetti from Lazio seems to be the heir to Buffon, if you ask me. 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

IMHO

I like Lloris and Stekelenberg.  Although men might consider him a headcase, Artur Boruc has done well since he went to Fiorentina.  He's always been good, but I believe his attitude has scared off a lot of the bigger teams.  Marchetti from Lazio seems to be the heir to Buffon, if you ask me. 

very true on Marchetti I clean forget he
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Remove Valdez name from this list.  Seen too many blunders from him, think if he were at a team that would constantly be on the defensive you would see even more, but that of course is my opinion.  Glad Tenors see the quality in Hart, man having a beyond boss season, bless
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
I like Sevilla's keeper. I saw in a game this year against Barca that man single handedly keep out Barca including Messi a few times penalty included! Best game from a goalie I saw in a while!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
Remove Valdez name from this list.  Seen too many blunders from him, think if he were at a team that would constantly be on the defensive you would see even more, but that of course is my opinion.  Glad Tenors see the quality in Hart, man having a beyond boss season, bless

Lol.... :rotfl: :rotfl: Valdes was poor with his feet versus Real, but he did make some stunning saves later in the game.  What surprises me with Guardiola is that he does not give the back-up GK any time in goal.  The Club Championship would have been a good time to rest Valdes a bit, but he chose not to.  Valdes has grown into a solid 'keeper; he was not a prodigy like Casillas and Buffon.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
The back up usually play in the Copa.

Seville keeper cork!
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>