March 28, 2024, 02:13:38 AM

Author Topic: Makelele Surplus  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
Makelele Surplus
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:57 AM »
FC Barcelona are preparing to make a formal offer to sign Claude Makélélé from Chelsea and the London club are unlikely to stand in his way, according to L'Equipe.

zoom - galleria The Blaugrana's squad looked to have been finalised after their capture of four players last month, but they are now keen to add a central defender to their ranks.

With Thiago Motta being told that he can leave and Edmílson set to follow him out of the club when he recovers from injury, Barça want back-up for the position.

Touré Yaya is seen as the long-term option to play in front of the back four after his arrival from Monaco and Makélélé would be used a mentor figure.

Chelsea would have few problems allowing the former Real Madrid midfielder leaving after he fell out of favour last term for critcising the Abramovich regime.

Makélélé has played just 45 minutes in the Blues' pre-season run so far this summer and is keen to find a new club, with PSG and Juventus also said to be monitoring the situation.

Any transfer fee would be minimal for the 34-year-old, who is behind Job Obi Mikel, Mickaël Essien and Lassana Diarra for the position at Stamford Bridge.

Despite Barça set to ask the French veteran to take a pay cut to join them, the chance to team up with Thierry Henry, Éric Abidal and Lilian Thuram at Camp Nou could be too good to turn down.

Juve In For Makelele?

Seemingly it's not just Barca who have an eye on Claude Makelele. The outbound Chelsea midfielder could yet end up at Juventus...

zoom - galleria The Independent reports that Claude Makelele is a transfer target for Claudio Ranieri at Juventus.

With Barca's interest all but confirmed, Juve have now become the second club to be heavily linked with the player. A move from PSG could also be in the offing but, for now, the Old Lady fancies its chances.

Makelele is on the verge of being surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge. Coach Jose Mourinho, stung by injury crises in years past, recognises that Claude is essentially third-choice for the holding role - Mikel and Essien being the first two - but will not let the player leave unless a replacement is sought before the transfer window slams shut.

Should such a replacement arise, the 34 year old will be allowed to leave without a fight. Claudio Ranieri, the man who brought Makelele to Chelsea from Real Madrid, is said to be eager to reunite with his former colleague and sees his experience as ideal for Juve's return to the top flight.

Makelele's deal expires in June 2008, with little to no chance of an acceptable extension being signed before then.

I never thought mak mak would be 3 or even fourth in line for that position on the field.....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Makelele Surplus
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
Yes Makas..make de move. I know you still have a few good years in yuh...

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
yeah maks i does try to play similar to you!! ;D ;D
All American

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
Please Maks, make that move.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »
I thought this thread was about a glut of Makeleles ???

1]; } ?>