March 29, 2024, 04:24:52 AM

Author Topic: Scots to use video to beat cheats (divers)  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scots to use video to beat cheats (divers)
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
It will be interesting to see the effect this has on games. Also wonder if they'll be revoking any cards issued during games for diving.

Scots to use video to beat cheats

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6926637.stm

Scottish referees will be able to use video evidence this season to punish cheating in football.

New Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith has launched a new scheme to clamp down on diving.

Referees will review match footage and, if they feel they have missed a player diving or feigning injury, they will punish them retrospectively.

The scheme will start as a pilot this weekend at the start of the new season and come into effect on 1 January.

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Scots to use video to beat cheats (divers)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
Referees will review match footage and, if they feel they have missed a player diving or feigning injury, they will punish them retrospectively.

that will only affect the outcome of future games, not the game where the diving actually took place.  Place an official in a booth whose sole purpose is to review diving replays in real time

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »

I think it might be better to have the fourth official or another panel review the footage.
Just thinking that some refs might try to un-do unrelated mistakes by punishing players or might be affected by their interaction with the players/managers on the pitch.

Same way they do it in the NBA when reviewing flagrant fouls and other incidents. (assuming the officials may only be interviewed)

Better this way in any case because the game can't be stopped for video reviews or have some outside official reversing calls....dais more drama.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
that will only affect the outcome of future games, not the game where the diving actually took place.  Place an official in a booth whose sole purpose is to review diving replays in real time

A bad idea that would create too many stoppages and turn the game into something like the NFL.

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »

A bad idea that would create too many stoppages and turn the game into something like the NFL.

You mean a very marketable product where technology has enhanced fair play on the field?  The NFL's system is functioning just fine thank.  Even so, not sure I want the stoppages in football...granted there's beaucoup stoppages already so some more legitimate stoppage shouldn't hurt.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »
I think it might be better to have the fourth official or another panel review the footage.
Just thinking that some refs might try to un-do unrelated mistakes by punishing players or might be affected by their interaction with the players/managers on the pitch.
Good point.
Better this way in any case because the game can't be stopped for video reviews or have some outside official reversing calls....dais more drama.
I agree.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »

You mean a very marketable product where technology has enhanced fair play on the field?  The NFL's system is functioning just fine thank.  Even so, not sure I want the stoppages in football...granted there's beaucoup stoppages already so some more legitimate stoppage shouldn't hurt.

Are you saying the NFL is better marketed than football?  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »

Big Up!
homey...it is marketed to the only people in the world that matter ;)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »

Big Up!
lol homey?? the only people in de world that matters?..lol allyuh is kicks oui
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »

Big Up!
lol homey?? the only people in de world that matters?..lol allyuh is kicks oui

Oh ho I see...I was wondering...but that is like selling igloo to ah eskimo  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »

Big Up!

Normally I'd re-direct you to my statements for a second reading, but for all I know English might not be your first language, so instead I'll explain it to you in terms that a 5-year old can understand.  I made no reference to comparison in my statement, whatever inferences you and yuh similarly insecure sidekick make from that is outside of my control.

I have no basis upon which to gauge how the EPL is marketed, or the World Cup, or La Liga, Serie A et al...but it is widely acknowledged here in the US that of all the professional sports, the NFL is model every other league seeks to emulate...so much so in fact that the EPL has sought the counsel of NFL marketing execs in devising it's own strategy. 

Feel free to take that and run with it.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »

agreed

punishing retroactively for diving is sufficient and should result in a one game ban..2 if it directly affected the result..ie) got a player sent off or resulted in a penalty or freekick that scored. Fines should be administered too.

I would support game technology during the game only for the following:

1) determine if the ball crossed the line for a goal
2) determine whether a penalty should be given
3) determine whether a player really committed an offense that would result in a red (or 2nd yellow) card

These should not materially affect the flow of a game..(is my guess) ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »

agreed

punishing retroactively for diving is sufficient and should result in a one game ban..2 if it directly affected the result..ie) got a player sent off or resulted in a penalty or freekick that scored. Fines should be administered too.

I would support game technology during the game only for the following:

1) determine if the ball crossed the line for a goal
2) determine whether a penalty should be given
3) determine whether a player really committed an offense that would result in a red (or 2nd yellow) card

These should not materially affect the flow of a game..(is my guess) ;D
I think these are rather sensible suggestions.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
Now it seems FIFA may block them on this.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6928105.stm

The following is an excerpt of the first few paragraphs:

Fifa could thwart SFA video plan

Fifa has warned the Scottish FA that its plan to use video evidence to hand out retrospective yellow cards for diving would contravene the rules.

The world governing body said that room for retrospective action was limited.

"This refers specifically to incidents which have escaped the match officials' attention," Fifa said in a statement.

"According to the Fifa disciplinary code, article 79, the disciplinary decisions taken by the ref on the field of play during a match are final."

1]; } ?>