April 26, 2024, 09:12:15 AM

Author Topic: U20 WC: Chile vs. Argentina  (Read 6280 times)

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U20 WC: Chile vs. Argentina
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
the chilians were diving the whole tournament
live by the sword die by the sword
to me it was just another typical south american football game

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 07:35:06 PM »
Pity it takes Chile being on the bitter end of losing for allyuh men to see what I and others have been saying about Argentina for years.  Granted that this ent the senior team...but is from them they learning all their tricks...that type of gamesmanship is part of their footballing psyche.  Not even limited to football, watch Manu Ginobili on the court for San Antonio...I rest my case, and that's why I detest all things Argentinian.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 10:57:16 PM »
Pity it takes Chile being on the bitter end of losing for allyuh men to see what I and others have been saying about Argentina for years.  Granted that this ent the senior team...but is from them they learning all their tricks...that type of gamesmanship is part of their footballing psyche.  Not even limited to football, watch Manu Ginobili on the court for San Antonio...I rest my case, and that's why I detest all things Argentinian.
Bakes, what about the decisions of the Officials on the Pitch?
The Officials are definitely not free from scrutiny....surely
I do not believe that there was any impartiality at all, as the evidence was overwhelming against them.

as you so well pointed out, I believe FIFA also has to take responsibility to find a way to STOP this scourge running rampant over the football field.
FIFA just cant sit back and say "well that is Football", as I do not believe that it is part of the Beautiful Game.
People like Swan Dive boy with Man U, diving at will when a breeze of a defender pass he by....
Come on FIFA....bring back the Beauty in the Game.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »
after watching chile in their quarter-final game, i know dis woulda be a Divefest. ah didn't make it a priority to watch dis game. when ah did tune in (with bout 10 minutes to go) ah still get meh fair share ah diving. from reading the fellow-forumites it seemed as though Argentina held their own in the diving dept. but as ah big man ah rather watch argentina play than friggin chile, who the hell is friggin chile anyway to have dey dotish U20 team acting like if dey is world-beaters, dey should BAN dem from international soccer for like 50 friggin years

I doh normally rebuff people's comments or opinions eh, but after you admit to only watching 10 mins of this game and come to that conclusion...which I would assume is mainly based on past feelings and stereotypes you have formed on a team you dislike. I would like to disagree with you here, I am not saying the the way Chile acted after the game was acceptable, but their frustrations were warranted. The ref called about 32 fouls alone on Chile, with 2 reds and about 6 yellows. Half of those were blatant dives by Argentina, and a few others were because of protesting and reacting to the bad calls that went against Chile. That Chile team was one of the best in this tournament, and I am sure if it was better officiated it would have been a closer game, maybe even a Chile victory. I was very displease with the Argentinians display and it turned me off of them completely.

After watching the full game, I would say the biggest losers last night were the Argentina team and the Ref!!! fullstop. The ref should be BAN from international FOOTBALL for like 50 friggin years  ;D

Big Up!

star, ah hear yuh, but like ah said in meh post, there is no way i wanted de chile team that i see play earlier to advance, no matter how skilful they is/are/were. i mighta turn off the de tv if i started watching da game from the start if as men say was diving from both sides. coming up here ah go try to watch de whole game, as a matter of fact ah will take meh fellow forumites word for it, meh eh watching no game. ah sticking wid meh guns though after watching Chile play earlier I DIDN"T WANT THAT TEAM TO WIN NO U20 WORLD CUP.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
the chilians were diving the whole tournament
live by the sword die by the sword
to me it was just another typical south american football game

Exactly !

What a disgusting display from both countries.  Truly sickening.  Chile were lucky they did not get more cards the way they were whining, grabbing the ref, etc.....they were also dirty.

Chile in particular should be hammered by FIFA for their conduct both on and off the field.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 08:32:58 AM »
both teams were full of theatre

To say that one was victimized because of diving only implies one was the better actor; the ref had a vested interest in favouring one side over the other;  or the ref was incompetent

In all cases, accountability still lies with FIFA - as long as FIFA tolerate theatre, it will continue
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »
I watch this game last night and from the get go the Argentines made their tactics blatant. The ref did not do a good job of getting the game under control. He played into the Argies hand.I believe he just did not like Chile, from the manner in which he spoke and dealt with them. This game officiating was horrible. He gave the Chileans a yellow for a slide tackle and right after the Argies made the same tackle and did not get a card, thus leading to the sending off of a Chilean player. At the last play in the game he blatantly missed a PK for Chile, and then the Argies turned right around and score after pushing a Chilean defender to the ground.Very frustrating.

Despite all this the Chileans were statistically still in the game. Four corners each, 47% of possession, I believe the Argies out shot them by about 5 shots on goal. From a footballing stand point the Chileans were a much better and entertaining team to watch than the guys on the spring board. 
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 07:59:31 PM »
Why allyuh surprise. dat is the same kaka hole referee that handle the Inter vs Valencia CL game that end in a brawl. Just watch he go be high up on FIFA soon. Allyuh really believe FIFA care about referee calls or the match itself. Stadium sell out all FIFA hearing is $$$$ chi ching chi ching
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
Here is another report from the Toronto Star ...  emotions running unchecked

Gregory Strong
Neil Davidson
Canadian Press

Anger on the soccer field turned into turmoil off it Thursday night as members of the Chilean under-20 team slugged it out with police and security after a bitter semifinal loss at the FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Here is a follow up on this incident

Editorial from the National Post August 2, 2007

Say sorry, Santiago

Canada has a good relationship with Chile, one of Latin America’s few shining economic and democratic stars. For 10 years, Canada and Chile have been freetrade partners. And they recently signed a new partnership agreement to expand co-operation on issues such as energy, the environment, climate change and agriculture. The purpose of the new partnership, according to the Canadian government, is to work with Chile to support “our shared values.” Those shared values, however, don’t include assaulting police officers.

On July 19, Chile lost to its archrival Argentina in FIFA’s Under-20 soccer tournament, which was being played in Toronto. Following the game, an altercation erupted between a young Chilean player and two soccer fans. Security intervened, and then so did the police — at which point members of the Chilean team attacked the men in uniform. Toronto Chief of Police Bill Blair described the scene: “My officers were punched, kicked, spat on and kicked in the groin.” A female police officer was also punched in the face and the soccer team did $35,000 damage to their bus as they ripped out armrests and footrests to throw at police officers.

Rather than immediately admonish the behaviour of their teenage soccer players, Chilean officials accused Canada of police brutality. Chile’s President, Michelle Bachelet, said the actions of the police were “clearly not justified,” and Chile sent a diplomatic note to Ottawa complaining about “the excessive violence” of Toronto police officers. The Canadian embassy in Chile soon found itself the target of a bomb threat.

But now that an investigation into the event is complete, one that interviewed both police and witnesses at the scene, it is clear that Chile owes Toronto police and Canadians an apology. According to Chief Blair, “All witnesses reported that the conduct and actions of my officers were appropriate, necessary and commendable.” Not only did Toronto police act with restraint, they went out of their way to avoid causing a diplomatic stir by releasing without charges nine of the Chilean players taken into custody after the police were assaulted.

We share many values with Chileans. We just wish that their passionate young soccer players also shared our respect for the rule of law.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>