April 26, 2024, 01:15:03 PM

Author Topic: What are people/countries doing about people in need around the world?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
I changed the name of the thread  from Dafur, Sudan to the current name

I want people to add other examples of people helping people.

Sometime we get side tracked on the ills of the world - (example recent posts on racism etc)

Number 1 Example: Darfur Sudan - a city and country in need.  But there is hope I believe and the following story is a promise of things to come - I am in a wait an see mode.

This is from a Canadian Perspective

facts/questions and opinion

1) this is part of the Prime Minster of England's new global commitment to end world poverty - fact
2) this is a Western led initiative - fact
3) 11 world leaders have signed on but I do not know who they are - fact
4) why is it taking so long to address the issues in Darfur? question
5) Philosophies and values that alienate the rich nations and their population will hinder any efforts to resolve the crisis - opinion
6) 200,000 have died and two million have been left homeless as Arab janjaweed militias backed by Khartoum’s Arab-led government moved against black Sudanese - I believe this to be fact

here is an report from The National Post - a newspaper that some consider to be right wing

UN JOINS FORCES IN DARFUR, 19,000 SOLDIERS ASSIGNED

BY STEVEN EDWARDS CanWest News Service

Link to National Post

August 1, 2007

UNITED NATIONS • After months of wrangling, the United Nations agreed yesterday to send 19,000 peacekeepers to Darfur to join an African Union force that has been unable to quell the violence.

The move came after an impassioned speech by British Prime Minister Gordon Brown about Western-led efforts to bring peace to the region — and his idea for a new global commitment to end world poverty.

Mr. Brown announced that 11 other world leaders have signed on to his “Commitment to Act” against poverty — one of them Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

By joining the group, Mr. Harper commits Canada to push for a UN summit next year to review the limited progress the world has made in meeting development goals set at the 2000 UN Millennium Summit.

That conference may in turn lead to new global pressure on Canada and other rich countries to dramatically increase overseas aid so that Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are achieved by the 2015 target date.

“The message for Darfur is that it is time for change,” Mr. Brown told a UN audience during his first visit to the world body since he succeeded Tony Blair as Prime Minister last month.

“And I am here to say that it’s also time for change so that we can meet the world’s Millennium Development Goals.”

On Darfur, the 15 members of the UN Security Council unanimously approved a resolution that will create the UN’s biggest peacekeeping operation — as long as Sudan honours a pledge to admit the soldiers.

The breakthrough came after Sudan and its veto-wielding Security Council ally China which has extensive oil interests in the African country agreed to wording that limits the amount of force the peacekeepers can use.

The UN soldiers will join 7,000 AU troops to form a ‘ hybrid’ force that will fan out across the vast region where more than 200,000 have died and two million have been left homeless as Arab janjaweed militias backed by Khartoum’s Arab-led government moved against black Sudanese.

Mr. Brown called Darfur the world’s “greatest humanitarian disaster.”

“If ... the killings continue, I and others will redouble our efforts to impose further sanctions,” Mr. Brown said in reference to the United States and France as Security Council powers that led the push for the force, as well as earlier limited sanctions against Sudan.

On his anti-poverty initiative, Mr. Brown said the MDGs were a “million miles” from being met.

“I believe the scale of the challenge is such that we cannot now leave it to some other time and some other people but must act now, working together,” he said.

The Commitment to Act contains no specifics on what new funds may be needed, but the UN has long pushed for the “0.7 solution” — meaning rich countries should give 0.7% of their national incomes in aid.

Canada gives around 0.34% — meaning government overseas aid would have to more than double to meet the UN standard. This is despite a finding by the Hudson Institute, a Washington-based think-tank, that Canada gives around 1% of its national income in foreign aid when charitable donations are included.

The MDGs include halving the number of people living on a dollar a day by 2015, ensuring all children complete primary school, and reducing the mortality rate among children under five by two-thirds.

“Canada will continue to work with its partners — other governments, the private sector and non-governmental organizations — toward meeting these internationally agreed objectives,” said Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay in Ottawa.

But many development economists say wastage and corruption has played a large part in knocking the MDG timetable off track — something International Development Minister Josée Verner appears to acknowledge.

“Achieving the objectives described in the Millennium Development Goals requires all countries, developed and developing, to take responsibility for their respective roles for implementing reforms that will ensure the effective use of international assistance,” she said.

The Darfur force — to be called the UN African Union Mission in Darfur (Unamid) — is expected to cost up to US$2-billion a year. UN assessments will charge Canada almost 3% of that amount.

Canada may also add to its current separate commitment to help the AUforce with troop transports. Eleven Canadian Forces members are involved in that operation, and 103 armoured vehicles are on loan to African units.

“We must now move forward in all haste [to] put in place the complex and vital peacekeeping operation,” UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said following the vote.

“Member states must provide every support — especially troop and police-contributing countries.

The deal on Darfur follows a ceasefire last year that Canada helped broker, but which collapsed in part because some rebel groups had not signed on.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:27:58 PM by pecan »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: What are people/countries doing about people in need around the world?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:32:37 PM »
What are people/countries doing about people in need around the world?

Here is my second example:

please posts some other examples

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

HERE IS A REPORT ON THE GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT AND HEALTH  INITIATIVE THAT IS FUNDED BY THIS FOUNDATION.

$916 million for global health
$170 million for global development

That is over a billion dollars in aid in 2006

Here is a sample report on global development

Nearly 2.5 billion people in the developing world live on less than $2 a day. This kind of grinding poverty—incomprehensible to most people in developed countries—often reduces life to a daily struggle for survival. The basics of food, water, and shelter are in chronic short supply, and health care and education can be unattainable luxuries.

Life in rural areas, where two-thirds of the poorest live, can be particularly punishing. Many rural families farm small plots of land and depend on often meager harvests for food and income. These rural people are disproportionately burdened by malnutrition and illness, and they have limited access to hospitals, schools, sanitation systems, and clean water.

Opportunities to escape this kind of poverty are elusive. The world’s poorest people lack access to banking services—from loans to savings accounts to insurance—that would help them manage life’s risks and take advantage of life’s opportunities. And while economic and social progress is increasingly driven by information technology, only one in six people around the world has access to a computer with Internet access.

In 2006, we established the Global Development Program to increase opportunities for people in the developing world to lift themselves out of hunger and poverty. In establishing the program, we sought to identify core initiatives that would build on and complement our existing expertise in global health.

Our grantmaking in the program’s first year focused on an ambitious partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation to help African farmers increase their productivity and on a series of innovative efforts to bring financial services to poor people in Africa and Asia who haven’t had access to them before.

Amounts in Thousands - Report on 2006

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:47:50 PM »
What are people/countries doing about people in need around the world?

Here is my second example:

please posts some other examples

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

HERE IS A REPORT ON THE GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT AND HEALTH  INITIATIVE THAT IS FUNDED BY THIS FOUNDATION.

$916 million for global health
$170 million for global development

That is over a billion dollars in aid in 2006

Here is a sample report on global development

Nearly 2.5 billion people in the developing world live on less than $2 a day. This kind of grinding poverty—incomprehensible to most people in developed countries—often reduces life to a daily struggle for survival. The basics of food, water, and shelter are in chronic short supply, and health care and education can be unattainable luxuries.

Life in rural areas, where two-thirds of the poorest live, can be particularly punishing. Many rural families farm small plots of land and depend on often meager harvests for food and income. These rural people are disproportionately burdened by malnutrition and illness, and they have limited access to hospitals, schools, sanitation systems, and clean water.

Opportunities to escape this kind of poverty are elusive. The world’s poorest people lack access to banking services—from loans to savings accounts to insurance—that would help them manage life’s risks and take advantage of life’s opportunities. And while economic and social progress is increasingly driven by information technology, only one in six people around the world has access to a computer with Internet access.

In 2006, we established the Global Development Program to increase opportunities for people in the developing world to lift themselves out of hunger and poverty. In establishing the program, we sought to identify core initiatives that would build on and complement our existing expertise in global health.

Our grantmaking in the program’s first year focused on an ambitious partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation to help African farmers increase their productivity and on a series of innovative efforts to bring financial services to poor people in Africa and Asia who haven’t had access to them before.

Amounts in Thousands - Report on 2006

this thread is veyr imporant. as to how much response it will get here...time will tell. hope it doesnt die a quidk. ah especially wanna hear the AFRICANS OPNION on this thread
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:54:44 PM by Organic »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »
the collective effort of the Forumites here on SW.net to get Just Cool back home to Africa ;D

boy dat is one long ass pitstop yuh on dey  :D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »
my intent when i started dis thread was to illustrate that crises around the work are really a global responsibility

so I started with two examples

1) government initiatives
2) private foundations

if we can look at what is being done we might better appreciate what is embodied in the motto of T&T

"Together we aspire, Together we achieve"

but applied on a global scale

call me naive or idealistic ..but so be it

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:26:22 AM by pecan »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »
what is sad is how much of that money will end up in other people pocket. honestly, after what i read about how aid contributions are managed in areas of conflict, i am reluctant to give anything. distribution of aid almost always involves govt or rebels and all kind of bribes passing. yuh cyah go from A to B without money passing. those poor people are hostages of their govt and/or whatever militias patrol their territory.

i see zulu bigging up robert mugabe in another thread. that's what passes for progressive leadership in africa these days. maybe one of the black diaspora will return to africa to liberate them - i heard barack obama got a good reception. or maybe just cool is what they need. "africa for africans" - is up to them really.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »

T&T government supposed to be lending free expertise on Oil & Gas industry in Africa....Uganda on the list but I think it was accepted by other nations at a meeting.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:06 AM »

T&T government supposed to be lending free expertise on Oil & Gas industry in Africa....Uganda on the list but I think it was accepted by other nations at a meeting.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »
Rabbit it seems  like you dont like what mugabe is doing  when will we take a stand ? as a people . I wonder what was your reaction when MANDELA forgive  ian smith and others when he became president , no it is time some body take a stand , the JEWS and ARABS, are doing it so what make Magube so different .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »

I was hoping that the promise kinda indicated that expertise did in fact exist so why yuh laughing   ;D

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
Rabbit it seems  like you dont like what mugabe is doing  when will we take a stand ? as a people . I wonder what was your reaction when MANDELA forgive  ian smith and others when he became president , no it is time some body take a stand , the JEWS and ARABS, are doing it so what make Magube so different .

It kinda hard to overlook so many things just because the idea of land acquisition seems right.
U don't have to support the man just because he is one of few implementing that policy when he is in the mold of a heartless dictator that ruining the country all by himself.  You cannot even say the majority of people in Zimbabwe want him there.

Mandela loved his people and put that first so don't even compare the two.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »

I was hoping that the promise kinda indicated that expertise did in fact exist so why yuh laughing   ;D

Manning jus pulling panty over people eye.
The only expertise he could possibly think about exporting for free is negotiating project contracts but none ah dem African countries going tuh bother with him, imagine ATLANTIC LNG  still vat free for another 3 years an dat is the first train.
The tax breaks he giving oil an gas companies in TT un heard of anywhere else in the world anyhow yuh get mih drift.
What he should be doing is offering the best oil and gas TRADESMEN in the world to them.
My experience is that our welders, pipefitters, electricians, instrumentation techs, operators and engineers are probably the best in the world .
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 09:50:58 AM »

It kinda hard to overlook so many things just because the idea of land acquisition seems right.
U don't have to support the man just because he is one of few implementing that policy when he is in the mold of a heartless dictator that ruining the country all by himself.  You cannot even say the majority of people in Zimbabwe want him there.

Mandela loved his people and put that first so don't even compare the two.

based on what I see in the local cdn media, Mugabe seized the land and gave it to his croonies  ...

furthermore, since the land was 'given' back, overall agricultural output in Zimbabwe has dropped significantly - I dont remember the stat but i recall output was less than 50% under previous ownership (if I am wrong, please advise)   The new owners simply lacked the knowledge and skills to farm.

If Mugabe was intent on righting wrongs, the least he could have done was to give it to knowledgeable farmers.

At the end of the day, I am not certain if Mugabe has helped his country or made things worse.

<modified>

i checked ... overall decline was double digits  - about 14% in 2002, rebounding by 7% in 2004.   Tobacco was the biggest contributing factor - a decline on 24% in 2004 attributed to lack of skills .

but den again, a decline in tobacco may not be necessarily a bad thing
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:05:59 AM by pecan »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »
i believe the land was given to farmers who was working for massa ,anyhow only time will tell and i am wishing for the best while others might be standing and wishing for the worst ,jus to say i told you so.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 01:37:50 AM »
i believe the land was given to farmers who was working for massa

Well check that again because it should make a big difference in assessing the situation.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »

but who is we? allofwe sitting comfortable with we foot under the white man table in canada and usa. we eh paying the cost that most zimbabweans paying for mugabe's profligacy. the news is not good at all. the people watching helpless as the country goes down the drain.

mugabe said he was going to take the country to a time back before the europeans settled in zimbabwe and he has succeeded in this. he has taken that country so far back, like they in bushman times. check this - the life expectancy in zimbabwe is under 40 years of age. just try to imagine what that means. take all the friends that you know that are 40 and older and pretend like half of them dead - imagine all their families and children and how they would have to adjust to make ends meet. imagine a country where you don't expect to live long enough to see your grandchildren. welcome to zimbabwe. and that has happened in the span of about 2 decades. it wasn't like that before at all.

the arabs have oil as their leverage. the jews built a presence in the usa and britain and got them to sanction the creation of israel - they spent generations doing this and struck at an opportune time as they are a key component in the overall strategy of the region (military bases for the usa). zimbabwe as a country have no resources - no big oil fields, no diamond mines, nothing. mugabe doh have any big connections with power and what role can they fill that south africa isn't already filling? it wasn't zimbabwe's time to go down this path.

and you think mugabe is such a big African icon? that is just a smokescreen. mugabe been bending over for every big western resource corporation in the world in the hopes that they could find something in zimbabwe that would make that country relevant to those with power. he cyah get enough of the white man. watch when they find something that zimbabwe have - you will see his true colours. even he self saying london is his favourite city in the world. his vision of afrocentrism is taken directly from eurocentrism - that is what you want to see? ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:34:23 PM by ribbit »

1]; } ?>