April 24, 2024, 07:13:26 AM

Author Topic: Read a book  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Read a book
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Read a book
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
This is why I stopped watching BET.

But at the same time, the stupid song is stuck in my head.

Not a sports page, or a magazine...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
i didn't peep this thread earlier and am only replying b/ci saw the video on tuesday. it's a good piece of social satire...surprisingly many of the ppl who commented on the video (i assume they were black) saw the message behind the music (basically the same message older black leaders try to convey to the youth: read books, buy land, take care of your kids, take care of your personal hygiene etc.)    it's pretty funny (even if it is profane and uses THAT word).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:47:30 AM »
i didn't peep this thread earlier and am only replying b/ci saw the video on tuesday. it's a good piece of social satire...surprisingly many of the ppl who commented on the video (i assume they were black) saw the message behind the music (basically the same message older black leaders try to convey to the youth: read books, buy land, take care of your kids, take care of your personal hygiene etc.)    it's pretty funny (even if it is profane and uses THAT word).

Dead on...and totally agree.

Too many people are seemingly inept at recognizing brilliant satire, which this may appropriately be categorized as.  I'm not too fond of the profanity or proliferous use of the N-word, and only so given the potential audience for the song, pre-teens and even younger.  That aside however, if you look beyond the delivery, the message can't be any more perfect.  As for the vehicle itself, it takes the negative stereotypes...indeed, archetypes, of the hip-hop industry and attempts to turn them on their heads...a technique that is apparently being lost on many of the song/videos critics.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:25:56 PM »

Too many people are seemingly inept at recognizing brilliant satire, which this may appropriately be categorized as. I'm not too fond of the profanity or proliferous use of the N-word, and only so given the potential audience for the song, pre-teens and even younger.  That aside however, if you look beyond the delivery, the message can't be any more perfect.  As for the vehicle itself, it takes the negative stereotypes...indeed, archetypes, of the hip-hop industry and attempts to turn them on their heads...a technique that is apparently being lost on many of the song/videos critics.

eh?? you not too fond of profanity??

you ever read one of your posts?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »

Too many people are seemingly inept at recognizing brilliant satire, which this may appropriately be categorized as. I'm not too fond of the profanity or proliferous use of the N-word, and only so given the potential audience for the song, pre-teens and even younger.  That aside however, if you look beyond the delivery, the message can't be any more perfect.  As for the vehicle itself, it takes the negative stereotypes...indeed, archetypes, of the hip-hop industry and attempts to turn them on their heads...a technique that is apparently being lost on many of the song/videos critics.

You either can't read, in need of glasses... or just looking fuh fucking talk...

and only so given the potential audience for the song, pre-teens and even younger.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:43:19 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »

You either can't read, in need of glasses... or just looking fuh fucking talk...

ah ress mih case

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »

ah ress mih case
You had no case to begin with...and the use of profanity in this instance was deliberate so as to underscore the point.  But you lack the sophistication to recognize this so the conversation is moot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:06:42 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:50:09 AM »

ah ress mih case
You had no case to begin with...and the use of profanity in this instance was deliberate so as to underscore the point.  But you lack the sophistication to recognize this so the conversation is moot.

You apparently eh know Dutty (the forumite)...but maybe I lack the sophistication to recognize that this response to him was deliberate and you just kicksin' too.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »

ah ress mih case

You apparently eh know Dutty (the forumite)...but maybe I lack the sophistication to recognize that this response to him was deliberate and you just kicksin' too.

I doh know him or know de first thing about him, but like ah say...maybe he juss looking fuh ole talk...no way I go say I doh like cussin...as much as I like cussin.  Go figure.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »
A word to the wise...Beware the Dutty 8)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
A word to the wise...Beware the Dutty 8)

beware of wha? mih sponge bat?

but look how you and grande push mih out de door cool cool and tell de shark... "tek he, tek he!!..he skin tender"

allyuh fellahs is criminal...ah go hadda watch allyuh close wit mih good eye from now on  ;)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »

ah ress mih case

I doh know him or know de first thing about him, but like ah say...maybe he juss looking fuh ole talk...no way I go say I doh like cussin...as much as I like cussin.  Go figure.

Dutty related to de Illuminati .. a warning .. doh walk under a ladder, let a black cat cross yuh path or delve into the study of the number 13 ...

When I join dis forum, I had 3 chirren .. den I cross Dutty ....den he wave he wand and now I have 22 chirren to feed.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »
When I join dis forum, I had 3 chirren .. den I cross Dutty ....den he wave he wand and now I have 22 chirren to feed.
Mr P.
I jez hope all ah dem look like you :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>