March 28, 2024, 06:09:51 PM

Author Topic: Sydney signs Juninho Paulista (journalist takes some cheap shots at Dwight)  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Samba rhythm is sure to quicken every heartbeat
Sydney Morning Herald

Well done, Sydney FC. It's not often I've had the opportunity to utter that phrase in the first two seasons of the A-League, but their signing of Juninho Paulista will have far-reaching ramifications for our domestic game.

Juninho is the most exciting name recruited to the fledgling competition - the most successful player ever to commit himself to more than a few games in this country.

Sure, Adelaide's signing of Romario last year was a bold move and made for great marketing. But given little time to understand his new teammates, who play an entirely different style of football, the ageing legend was always going to find it difficult to cope.

Romario left these shores complaining about the physicality of our game, saying that a culture which does not properly value skill and technique does not suit Brazilian coaches and players.

This points to one reason why Juninho is an outstanding signing - he has played successfully in the English Premier League, another culture in which a tackle is more celebrated than a beautiful pass.

So he comes here well aware of how we play the game, well aware that we like to play as fast as possible and always go forward.

Although 34, he until recently produced wondrous displays of skill for Middlesbrough. This indicates his transition into the A-League will be smooth.

And, with the greatest of respect, his signing bears no comparison to that of Dwight Yorke. Yorke was a Champions League winner - this bloke won a World Cup. While Yorke played alongside Roy Keane and Paul Scholes, Juninho played with Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Romario.

Yorke's presence brought a championship and much needed promotion to the league, and credit to him, but Juninho brings pure quality.

What is more, this signing is not just the perfect tonic for the club - after Australia's fizzer at the Asian Cup it should excite all fans.

Slowly, but surely, we are moving to a better vision of the game.

At last we are importing a player who can help lift the standard of our game, and there should be longer-term benefits as tens of thousands of kids and coaches, players and spectators, through watching one of the most gifted players to grace these shores, start to know the artful side of our game rather than the merely industrial.

For those of us who have been around too long, I wonder what would have happened had we, as youngsters, been able to watch such a player week in and out in the flesh. How fundamentally would our view of the game have changed?

Having a Brazilian star here can only further, or more accurately begin the process, of building strong ties with our South American football-loving community, and we hope Sydney will extend an olive branch to those who most understand and respect the beautiful game, and who surely were most offended by the football of the Terry Butcher era.

And should we see Brazilian dancers and drums before every home match and a new samba style on the pitch, then Sydney FC will show they have woken up to a major advantage football has as a form of entertainment - its ability to tap the infectious joy other cultures have in our game.

So, at last, although it has taken three years, samba has come to the big city. Which means our South American community, with all its passion and love of football, might be enticed to add its joyous flavour to the mix that is Sydney FC.

The glamour is back, but this time hollow bling will be replaced by soulful samba.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 02:15:48 PM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney signs Juninho Paulista (and takes some cheap shots at Dwight)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »
No biggy, they just sayin what they have to say to market Juninho to their public.  After all, Yorke is back in England and the Australian football federation and media  have to create some hype.  At the end of the  day, both players are pure quality and are way more accomplished than any of the Australian players. That's why they recruited them...to bring some world class quality to their league. 

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »
Yuh headline misleading. Its the newpaper journalist that took the cheap shots, not Sydney FC or anyone from the club
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:14:15 PM »
Yuh headline misleading. Its the newpaper journalist that took the cheap shots, not Sydney FC or anyone from the club

Thanks for the heads-up, I was jess about to modify it  :beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
No biggy, they just sayin what they have to say to market Juninho to their public.  After all, Yorke is back in England and the Australian football federation and media  have to create some hype.  At the end of the  day, both players are pure quality and are way more accomplished than any of the Australian players. That's why they recruited them...to bring some world class quality to their league. 

He still could have been a little classier in his comparison.  Ain't too many people outside of australia was paying attention to that team (or league, for that matter) until Dwight went there.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »
  He still could have been a little classier in his comparison.  Ain't too many people outside of australia was paying attention to that team (or league, for that matter) until Dwight went there.

Totally agree. Why he feel he have to put Dwight down to make his point.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Yuh realize the players he associate with Yorke he pick carefully. Not to shabby but not very outstanding either, like Becks, Ole, Nistlerooy etc.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
B4 Dwight it was Aleague?????????????????????
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »

Totally agree. Why he feel he have to put Dwight down to make his point.

Exactly...I could be de same and say well Juninho must win the World Cup under Scolari with man like Rivaldo, Ronaldo, R. Carlos, Ronaldinho and Cafu on the squad. I could say that how Juninho wasn't involved of any of Brazil's 2002 goals...or argue that the Champions League has a more dense concentration of skill/talent/intensity than the World Cup, or Juninho wasn't in a formidable CL side....but that would be putting down Juninho, and he is a great player. I find the commentator coulda come better than that....no need to discount Dwight after the things he did for the A-league

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No biggie..man selling papers

When the A league sign their next marquee player, some sections of the press and probably the league itself will find a way to make that player seem bigger and brighter than Juninho. Dais how it goes I guess..

On another note..anyone remember when Juninho was at his peak and starting for Brazil before WC 1998. He was at Atletico Madrid and a man break his foot in La Liga. Zagallo tell Juninho doh study it..if you heal in time...you spot in the side secured. Juninho heal back and real get on in La Liga in the last few weeks and Zagallo still eh pick de man. Juninho hold a press conference and basically cry throughout the whole thing. Then Romario went an get brocko...beg to play on the side..say he go be good by the time the 2nd round start. Zagallo and dem say no...more big man tears.

I doh know if the inclusion of Juninho or Romario would have won them the WC...but the ball woulda sure be nicer (read..more flair and sublime skill on display)  ;D heheh

At least Romario got his Wc glory 4 years earlier and Juninho got the ultimate retribution 4 years later. All in all...everybody could look back and smile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
*steups*

some ah allyuh men acting like Dwight is allyuh woman or something.  Fact is that Dwight was a shadow of his former self when he got to Sydney and while Juninho too has lost a step I can't find fault with anything de journalist say...I don't see where he dissing Dwight.  It ent even about selling papers, de man excited about a quality player coming to the league...which isn't in itself saying that Dwight isn't quality, but let's face it, Brazilians bring with them a certain degree of flair and excitement (warranted or not) and Juninho isn't the same player Dwight was when he joined Sydney...Juninho still has a lot more game in him relative to Dwight. 

As such, as much as we all love Dwight and I personally rate the man up there among my all-time favorites...it's understandable that we find it hard to see things objectively at times.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
*steups*

some ah allyuh men acting like Dwight is allyuh woman or something.  Fact is that Dwight was a shadow of his former self when he got to Sydney and while Juninho too has lost a step I can't find fault with anything de journalist say...I don't see where he dissing Dwight.  It ent even about selling papers, de man excited about a quality player coming to the league...which isn't in itself saying that Dwight isn't quality, but let's face it, Brazilians bring with them a certain degree of flair and excitement (warranted or not) and Juninho isn't the same player Dwight was when he joined Sydney...Juninho still has a lot more game in him relative to Dwight. 

As such, as much as we all love Dwight and I personally rate the man up there among my all-time favorites...it's understandable that we find it hard to see things objectively at times.

Well objectively speaking, the article is still littered with subtle jabs at the quality of Dwight's presence in the A-league. Unless you seen Juninho play lately (because he hasn't for Flamengo), stating that Juninho has a whole lot more game in him relative to Dwight is unreliable.They are more or less the same age, Juninho a year younger - him heading to the A-league after a year of little game time.

Dwight on the other hand, has played non stop: from A-league to World Club Cup, to qualifiers to friendlies to World Cup to top-flight in the Championship and going back to the EPL and he still a tank, pelting blade normal normal. That defensive mid position he have dey not easy at all eh.

Both players played for Syndey with the hope of resurrecting their careers...Dwight succeeded, who knows if Juninho will. He is the kinda player who can, for sure. But as far as who have more game in them...given their respective resume's of the last 2 years I hadda go with Dwight.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:02:47 AM by Grande »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well objectively speaking, the article is still littered with subtle jabs at the quality of Dwight's presence in the A-league. Unless you seen Juninho play lately (because he hasn't for Flamengo), stating that Juninho has a whole lot more game in him relative to Dwight is unreliable.They are more or less the same age, Juninho a year younger - him heading to the A-league after a year of little game time.

Dwight on the other hand, has played non stop: from A-league to World Club Cup, to qualifiers to friendlies to World Cup to top-flight in the Championship and going back to the EPL and he still a tank, pelting blade normal normal. That defensive mid position he have dey not easy at all eh.

Both players played for Syndey with the hope of resurrecting their careers...Dwight succeeded, who knows if Juninho will. He is the kinda player who can, for sure. But as far as who have more game in them...given their respective resume's of the last 2 years I hadda go with Dwight.

Look at where Dwight was before Germany (and it's run-up campaign) and before Sydney...I mean, realistically he wasn't performing on a very high level and every indication was that his career was on the wane.  Juninho hasn't been playing much as you stated, but gauging from recent years his decline just doesn't seem as steep as with Dwight.  Additionally, and this I think in the focus of the article...Dwight wasn't exactly a play-maker the bulk of his career, he's fashioned a nice second career out of the defensive mid.  Juninho has been more involved in creating chances for himself, but also for others by helping setting up the play.  I think this is why the journalist seems particularly excited.  I don't see a denigration of Dwight's game or talent...just that he thinks the particular skill-set that Juninho offers has a greater chance to elevate the play of the surrounding players, relative to what Dwight brought.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
lol, we know Dwight is the Man regardless of what the Australian press wants to say.  Thats why I say its no biggy.  The biggest impact player in the Australian leagues history is Dwight Yorke.  Looking at it from their perspective, they have to maintain  interest in their league and sell tickets.  To do that they have to convince their public that they have recruited someone even better.  People should not take this thing to heart.  Everybody will be watch Dwight in the EPL and nobody will be watching the Australian league anyway. ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
COPACABANA BULLSHIT......juninho got relegated with Boro while Dwight was winning things....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Give it some time,Dwight went there and they won the championship in his first and only season,lets see how thier new wonder boy performs,then he may a different view of Dwight

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Give it some time,Dwight went there and they won the championship in his first and only season,lets see how thier new wonder boy performs,then he may a different view of Dwight
Pretty much.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree, it no big deal. Dwight was a winner in his first year. He was also captain. They were disappointed because Dwight left for the EPL. They wanted Dwight to stay, but his desire was always a move back to the premiership.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
*steups*

You sure you not thinking of Juninho Pernambucano from Lyon? Because if you talking about lil mouse face Juninho Paulista who used to rip for Atletico & Middlesbrough back in the days, it'd be very difficult to assess what he still has to offer after not making a note at Celtic a few years back & riding the pine for Flamengo in the last season...(unless he was rippin' for Palmeiras in the interim- I couldn't tell yuh bcuz I doh really follow the Brazilian league)....

Nevertheless it's pretty clear that the article is some hype and men just lookin' fuh talk if they really sweatin' that...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
kicker I was sweating it to some extent...the Sydney Morning Herald is a well-respected and one of the most highly regarded in Sydney in terms of quality.

IMHO I find de man coulda show a bit more journalistic class instead of implying that Dwight did not help to lift the standard of the game in Australia...say something like 'although they bring a different approach to the game, Juninho will continue where Dwight signed off" or something so

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You sure you not thinking of Juninho Pernambucano from Lyon? Because if you talking about lil mouse face Juninho Paulista who used to rip for Atletico & Middlesbrough back in the days, it'd be very difficult to assess what he still has to offer after not making a note at Celtic a few years back & riding the pine for Flamengo in the last season...(unless he was rippin' for Palmeiras in the interim- I couldn't tell yuh bcuz I doh really follow the Brazilian league)....

Nevertheless it's pretty clear that the article is some hype and men just lookin' fuh talk if they really sweatin' that...
lmao@ "mouse face"...yeah is he self ah thinking about, I actually thought he did okay for Celtic before moving back to Brazil...haven't been following the Brazilian league that tight to provide you stats but I read a couple reports late last year that seemed to indicate that he had regained his touch.  At the end of the day I guess my main point is that there's reason for the article being written the way it was, some of it is hype, some of it is just baseless excitement.  My main thrust is that I really doh find nutten in there to that is dismissive of Dwight...certainly nutten to take offense at.  Grande same way though, I could understand why you might be a little sensitive to the criticism...especially given what Dwight did in the run up to the World Cup...what he did while in Germany...what he did to help elevate Australian football...and what he continues to do to this day. Hard not to respect that but we shouldn't concern we self wid every li'l sideways comment i guess.

1]; } ?>