March 29, 2024, 07:05:03 AM

Author Topic: Quinn: Cats to Caribbean next summer?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Quinn: Cats to Caribbean next summer?
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
Quinn thinks global for Cats
by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

Aug 8 2007

Niall Quinn has set his sights on taking Sunderland global in an attempt to compete more successfully in the transfer market.

AFTER completing a successful pre-season tour of Ireland, Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn is weighing up possible venues for 2008 as he looks to establish the Black Cats as one of England’s “big clubs”.

And with three Trinidad and Tobago internationals on the playing staff, the Irishman admits the Caribbean could be a natural next destination.

The Wearsiders’ trip to Dublin, Cork and Galway was a huge success in terms of attracting new supporters and Quinn believes it is vital such public relations tours become an annual event if he is to establish Sunderland as more than just a team which yo-yos between the Premiership and Football League.

The club’s struggles in attracting the calibre of player manager Roy Keane had targeted this summer has emphasised to Quinn the need to change perceptions.

“If we’re in a different place in the league table that’s fine, but if we’re in a different place in terms of our overall support and how people view us as around the world then of course it makes it easier for us to sign players,” he argued. “It’s very hard where we are at the moment. We have to push ourselves, we have to think big, to behave big and treat our fans properly. Others clubs like Liverpool have got a head start on us because they’ve got success, they’ve got trophies – we haven’t so we have to be a little bit different.

“I would hope there will come a time when we can attract the kind of player we found it difficult to attract in the first few weeks of this transfer window. Money didn’t come into it at all. What we have to do is just keep growing and believing.

“We’ll go back and have a look at how the Ireland tour went and ask what happened, why, and will it get bigger – although that’ll be hard because it’s been amazing. We’ll ask why did it work and can we put that into other areas because that’s the key for us.”

Last season Sunderland attracted support from Trinidad and Tobago on the back of having Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards and Stern John on their books, and Quinn is tempted to try to capitalise on their popularity with a visit to the Caribbean next summer.

“It could very well be,” he said. “I think the staff are dying for me to say that one! They probably deserve it after last week. But that would be an area we’d look to explore. We’ve a great connection there, the three boys have been superb for us and it seems a natural place to go. I think Dwight’s bigger than the prime minister in that country so he would be important for that.

“We’d have to work out how we’d do it and how we’d give people that feeling of passion for the club. We’ve got to provide people who we want to support the club with a little bit more than a result on the Saturday.

“It would be lovely to go on holiday to far-flung places and see Sunderland shirts. You can see Man United jerseys so the aim would have to be do that.

“I’m at pains to tell people we do not get any more money out of jerseys. The kit company (Umbro) get all that money but it’s a great way of our club going forward, so we’d back any effort to sell jerseys abroad.”

Quinn insists the club’s setbacks in the transfer market – such as Leighton Baines turning them down for Everton and Chris Baird going to Fulham instead – have not deterred him or Keane.

“We’re not fed up,” he said. “It’s like a boxer taking a punch, you keep coming back in and trying. We took one or two but we’d like to think now it will come our way.

“There’s no despondency. Sometimes it’s a worry when the fans get a little bit worked up and the papers and TV push things and there’s a negative vibe, but it’s not been like that behind the scenes. We’re giving it everything.

“There’s a lot of clubs putting a lot of money in. There’s four clubs at the top who regularly have Champions League football and a lot of new owners trying to get into that. It’s pushing the market up. I’m not criticising other clubs, I’m just trying to say that’s how it is. Everyone’s fighting to spend their money and the agents are having it very easy right now. But that’s the game and we’re not complaining about that.”

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Quinn: Cats to Caribbean next summer?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »
They could practice in the Savannah!!!!!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »

Stay in Tobago...play a few games on both islands.

WN UK stay in touch...I think the steelband paid off.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
They could practice in the Savannah!!!!!!!

and play WASA :rotfl:

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
they cud play a warriror nation fete match team!!

first dibs on right back
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »
Hold on Peltier they coming for you next year!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:44:15 AM »
If them coming next year, i going and take some holidays and follow them everywhere....lol

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:51:01 AM »
They could stay and train at Centre of Excellence (hotel, fields, swimming pools, gyms, saunas). Then off to Tobago to see Dwight island...lol
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

1]; } ?>