March 28, 2024, 07:56:35 PM

Author Topic: Julius James MAC Hermann Trophy Candidate/Pre Season All American  (Read 4733 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Julius James Named M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Candidate For Third Straight Year
By: UConnHuskies.com

MISSION, Kan. (August 8, 2007) – University of Connecticut men's soccer player Julius James (Maloney Gardens, Trinidad) has been named to the 2007 Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy Watch List for the third consecutive season. The complete list of 29, announced by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA), was compiled by a panel of the organization's coaches.

James, a two-time NSCAA All-America selection, finished his junior season in 2006 as the BIG EAST Defender of the Year for the second-straight year, as well as a M.A.C. Hermann Trophy semifinalist. He helped the Huskies hold opponents to 1.17 goals per game this season, while tallying five shutouts on the year and leading the Huskies to as high as No. 7 in the nation. As a two-time All-BIG EAST First Team honoree, James played and started in all 19 games last season, tallying two goals, including the game-winner at Marquette and one in the NCAA Tournament First Round game against Fairfield.

The Watch List also features fellow BIG EAST players Joe Lapira, the defending Hermann Trophy winner from Notre Dame, and Ryan Madura from Providence. Reigning NCAA Division I national champion UC-Santa Barbara and Creighton University were the only two schools to have multiple players on the Watch List, and indication of the level of parity in intercollegiate play. Senior defender Andy Iro and junior midfielder Eric Avila represent the Gauchos, while senior goalkeeper Matt Allen and junior forward Byron Dacy hail from Creighton.

Players are selected to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List by a committee of Division I coaches who are NSCAA members. In November, the list will be narrowed to 15 semifinalists. Three finalists will be named in early December in conjunction with the NCAA Division I College Cup and will be invited to the Missouri Athletic Club on Friday, January 11, 2008. The winner of the 2007 award will be announced during a nationally-televised news conference that evening.

2007 Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy Watch List
As selected by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)

Pos. Name Cl. School Hometown
G Matt Allen, Sr., Creighton, Omaha, Neb.
M Eric Avila, Jr., UCSB, Encinitas, Calif.
D Rhett Bernstein, Jr., Brown, San Diego, Calif.
D Eric Brunner, Sr., Ohio State, Dublin, Ohio
F Byron Dacy, Jr., Creighton, Omaha, Neb.
F Patrick Figueiredo, Jr., Adelphi, Compinas, Brazil
F Kevin Forest, Sr., Washington, Edmonds, Wash.
F Juan Gavaria, Sr., St. Peter's, Elizabeth, N.J.
M Tom Gray, Sr., Monmouth, Middletown, N.J.
M Bruno Guarda, Jr., SMU, Piracicaba, Brazil
D David Horst, Sr., Old Dominion, Pine Grove, Pa.
D Andy Iro, Sr., UCSB, Liverpool, England
F Saidi Isaac, Sr., Winthrop, Eldoret, Kenya
M Dejan Jakovic, Jr., UAB, Etobicoke, Ontario
D Julius James, Sr., Connecticut, Maloney Gardens, Trinidad
F George Josten, Sr., Gonzaga, Idaho Falls, Idaho
M Stephen King, Sr., Maryland, Medford, N.J.
F Joseph Lapira, Sr., Notre Dame, Lake Charles, La.
M Peter Lowry, Sr., Santa Clara, Fair Oaks, Calif.
M Travis MacKenzie, Sr., Duquesne, Carnegie, Pa.
M Ryan Maduro, Sr., Providence, Bristol, R.I.
F Patrick Nyarko, Jr., Virginia Tech ,Kumasi, Ghana
F Yannick Reyering, Jr., Virginia, Mettingen, Germany
M David Roth, Sr., Northwestern. St. Louis, Mo.
D Andre Sherard, Sr., North Carolina, Greenville, N.C.
M Eric Sweetin, Jr., Saint Louis, Kansas City, Mo.
D Julian Valentin, Sr., Wake Forest, Lancaster, Pa.
D Rob Valentino, Sr., San Francisco, Cave Creek, Ariz.
M Michael Videira, Sr., Duke, Milford, Mass.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:52:54 PM by E-man »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius James MAC Hermann Trophy Candidate For 3rd Straight Year
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Lol...somebody should tell them Maloney Gardens ent he 'hometown'  ;D

Good stuff though, good to see some of these relatively unknown players getting some acclaim.  Great detective work by you e-man, and some of these other fellas on the board in tracking these youths.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
I would pick Julius in spite of lack of experience in front of Dwayne Jack any day.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
I would pick Julius in spite of lack of experience in front of Dwayne Jack any day.
i second that. he is a bigger player then he anyday..... :beermug:
All American

Offline LOCAL.

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:50:23 PM »
Julius has been continually overlooked by national coaches and still remains a humble individual...he is a hard worker and will be world class in the near future...he is a better player than Power (taking nothing away from Power). Look out for this individual.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »
well the name has been around for a while.....and the young man seems to be a very commited and dedicated type......hope to see him soon....the "better than" speculation for now remauns just that
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:17:36 AM »
Only question mark I have about James is that he is not in the mold of the modern day center back--he is too small.  He scores and looks good going forward, so maybe he could be converted to a more holding role in front of the back four or something.  He has played consistently well in a top level conference and really should be given a look.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 05:31:21 AM »

Good stuff though, good to see some of these relatively unknown players getting some acclaim.  Great detective work by you e-man, and some of these other fellas on the board in tracking these youths.

so what is he hometown???   :rotfl: :rotfl:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »

Men's Soccer Tabbed No. 1 In Preseason BIG EAST Poll; Three Named To All-Conference Team
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (August 6, 2007) – The University of Connecticut men's soccer team has been chosen to capture the 2007 BIG EAST regular season Blue Division title, as announced by the league office Monday. In addition, senior Julius James (Maloney Gardens, Trinidad) and juniors Akeem Priestley (Kingston, Jamaica) and O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ontario) were each selected to the All-BIG EAST Preseason Team.

For the third straight year, the Huskies were picked to claim the Blue Division title, while defending BIG EAST Champion St. John’s was voted to finish atop the Red Division. The votes were cast by the league’s 16 head coaches, who were not permitted to vote for their own teams.

Connecticut earned 10 first-place votes and 105 points in the 2007 preseason poll. The Huskies compiled a record of 10-7-2 overall, and a second-place finish with an 8-2-1 conference mark in the Blue Division last year. UConn made its 12th consecutive appearance in the BIG EAST Championship, and has a league-leading 22 bids overall. For the 10th straight year, the Huskies earned an NCAA Championship berth.

Leading Connecticut will be 2007 BIG EAST Preseason Defensive Player of the Year James. A two-time BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year, the senior defender was a 2006 M.A.C. Hermann Semifinalist and an NSCAA/adidas All-America First Team selection. Last season, White was an All-BIG EAST First Team honoree, while Priestley was tabbed a second team performer.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
Julius has been continually overlooked by national coaches and still remains a humble individual...he is a hard worker and will be world class in the near future...he is a better player than Power (taking nothing away from Power). Look out for this individual.

Another player that Anton Corneal doesn't like. Embarrassed the young man during a screening by saying "you is a All-American?" "you?"  (after asking which collegiate player is an All-American). Then when he finally got the break last December with the national team they put the youth to play left back (he is right footed and usually plays center back or even right wing back). Nevertheless, he still gave a decent account of himself but once again, Anton made sure he didn't make the Digicel team (Wim wasn't there and Anton didn't recommend him highly). I see too many youth men get raw deal from Anton and his father. Hold firm James, good things come to those who wait. Anton and them judgment coming soon. You have your degree almost fully in the pocket and I almost sure you will be a #1 first round MLS draft.

As for the nonsense talk about James being too small...pure fackery!! How big/tall is Fabio Cannavaro? Carles Puyol? William Gallas? Rafael Marques? All some of the best center backs/defenders in the world. Not one of them is taller than 6ft. The boss himself, Fabio......5/9, 174Ibs (on average).

Next time any man make size/height an issue when it comes to football remember the names I called. I prefer you tell me his technical abilities is poor or he is too slow (slow as in speed, not speed of play).

Kingman
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:21:40 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »
So how heavy and tall is James then?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:51:09 AM »

My point....it doesn't matter....but since you really want to know he is about 5/10 and a half and 180lbs.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »

My point....it doesn't matter....but since you really want to know he is about 5/10 and a half and 180lbs.

Kingman

actually he is about 5/9 and 175 lbs...
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
wey! a whopping 1/2 inch shorter and 5lb less than Kingman say, jeez! Anyway, of course the first thing ah think bout while reading the original post is, "has he ever gotten a look-see by TnT coaches?". Kingman to the rescue wid ah update bout him and Anton Corneal. Now if ah didn't know Kingman as ah fellah who know a lil bit bout TnT football, ah woulda call him a LIAR. Why? It hard to friggin believe that a coach would do what Anton did to a young footballer, now if de coach know yuh and he just playing around (and let everybody know he just playing around) is one thing, but apparnetly that wasn't de case, ah boy, i dunno nah. That's why I does feel good when ah read bout the U-17 WC team and see that WIM in the travelling party ah does feel better. Keep on doing yuh thing Mr. James!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:03 AM »
wey! a whopping 1/2 inch shorter and 5lb less than Kingman say, jeez!

Fyzo' yuh fail common entrance or wha  ;D de difference between 5/10 and ah 1/2 and 5/9 is 1 and 1/2 inches  ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline #8+1

• Midfielder
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
This meh Husband's boy.... DO YO THANG JULIUS! Maybe you'll soon be makin d big bosses take a look at yuh!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »

It not that important as to start a pointless debate, but classifying Maloney Gardens a 'town' is reaching...don't you think?  Compare Maloney Gardens (essentially a housing 'scheme') to the hometowns of the other players and maybe you'll get my drift.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »
wey! a whopping 1/2 inch shorter and 5lb less than Kingman say, jeez!

Fyzo' yuh fail common entrance or wha  ;D de difference between 5/10 and ah 1/2 and 5/9 is 1 and 1/2 inches  ;D

futbolfan, good ketch, it was a test and yuh pass wid flying colours ;) my bad, ah really didn't pay too much attention to de actual numbers, ah was too focused on de fact that somebody actually went out dey way to correct de man over ah 1/2 inch-ah mean-1 and 1/2 inches. Ah still say Anton ha to be a real cacahole to embarass de man like dat, even if he might ONLY be 5' 9'' tall.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:44:27 AM »
Tenorsaw, do you agree with this watch list set-up?

Or, do you think it's not feasible to arrive at a shortlist of players based purely on seasonal play rather than anticipated top performers?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »

It not that important as to start a pointless debate, but classifying Maloney Gardens a 'town' is reaching...don't you think?  Compare Maloney Gardens (essentially a housing 'scheme') to the hometowns of the other players and maybe you'll get my drift.

we could kill de ole talk but in trini maloney is ah town. yuh could buy ah punch they, roti, bake and fish when de night come, it have football and basketball tournaments. i doh know when llast yuh went they but that is ah town as far as many are concerned. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

we could kill de ole talk but in trini maloney is ah town. yuh could buy ah punch they, roti, bake and fish when de night come, it have football and basketball tournaments. i doh know when llast yuh went they but that is ah town as far as many are concerned. 
Dey have dey own hospital?  Talk done

:rotfl:  I hear yuh doh  ;D

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Julius James Named Men's Soccer Preseason All-American
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
By: uconnhuskies.com.

STORRS, Conn. (August 30, 2007) - University of Connecticut men's soccer player Julius James (Maloney Gardens, Trinidad) has been named a Preseason All-American by Soccer America, as announced on the publication's Web site Thursday. James is one of 23 players from around the country to receive the honor and one of five honorees from the BIG EAST Conference.

James started off his senior campaign being named a candidate for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy for the third time in his career after finishing as a semifinalist in 2006. He is a two-time NSCAA All-America selection after finishing his junior season as the BIG EAST Defender of the Year for the second-straight year.

He helped the Huskies hold opponents to 1.17 goals per game last season, while tallying five shutouts on the year and leading the Huskies to as high as No. 7 in the nation. As a two-time All-BIG EAST First Team honoree, James played and started in all 19 games last season, tallying two goals, including the game-winner at Marquette and one in the NCAA Tournament First Round game against Fairfield.

Soccer America's Preseason Men's All-American Team is headlined by Notre Dame's Joseph Lapira, the 2006 Soccer America Men's College Player of the Year. Defending national champion UC Santa Barbara (Andy Iro and Eric Avila), St. John's (Jason Landers and Ryan Soroka), Virginia (Jonathan Villanueva and Yannick Reyering) and Duke (Michael Videira and Mike Grella) are the only teams with two players selected on the 23-player team.

Soccer America Preseason Men's All-American Team
GOALKEEPERS
Mike Graczyk, New Mexico, sr.
Jason Landers, St. John's, sr.
Brian Perk, UCLA, soph.

DEFENDERS
David Horst, Old Dominion, sr.
Andy Iro, UC Santa Barbara, sr.
Julius James, Connecticut, sr.
Ofori Sarkodie, Indiana, soph.
Andre Sherard, North Carolina, sr.
Julian Valentin, Wake Forest, sr.

MIDFIELDERS
Eric Avila, UC Santa Barbara, jr.
Bruno Guarda, SMU, jr.
Stephen King, Maryland, sr.
David Roth, Northwestern, sr.
Michael Videira, Duke, sr.
Jonathan Villanueva, Virginia, soph.
Andy Wright, West Virginia, sr.

FORWARDS
Andre Akpan, Harvard, soph.
Kevin Forrest, Washington, sr.
Mike Grella, Duke, jr.
Joseph Lapira, Notre Dame, sr.
Patrick Nyarko, Virginia Tech, jr.
Yannick Reyering, Virginia, jr.
Ryan Soroka, St. John's, soph.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius James Named Men's Soccer Preseason All-American
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
Soccer America Preseason Men's All-American Team

GOALKEEPERS
Mike Graczyk, New Mexico, sr.
Jason Landers, St. John's, sr.
Brian Perk, UCLA, soph.

DEFENDERS
David Horst, Old Dominion, sr.
Andy Iro, UC Santa Barbara, sr.
Julius James, Connecticut, sr.
Ofori Sarkodie, Indiana, soph.
Andre Sherard, North Carolina, sr.
Julian Valentin, Wake Forest, sr.

MIDFIELDERS
Eric Avila, UC Santa Barbara, jr.
Bruno Guarda, SMU, jr.
Stephen King, Maryland, sr.
David Roth, Northwestern, sr.
Michael Videira, Duke, sr.
Jonathan Villanueva, Virginia, soph.
Andy Wright, West Virginia, sr.

FORWARDS
Andre Akpan, Harvard, soph.
Kevin Forrest, Washington, sr.
Mike Grella, Duke, jr.
Joseph Lapira, Notre Dame, sr.
Patrick Nyarko, Virginia Tech, jr.
Yannick Reyering, Virginia, jr.
Ryan Soroka, St. John's, soph.

Pre-season rankings are such utter bull.

Boy keep yuh head on yuh shoulders and play yuh ball eh.  After the season done yuh will see who is who in terms of accolades.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:05:57 PM by Jahyouth »

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius James MAC Hermann Trophy Candidate/Pre Season All American
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
Julius was a good player even back in his college days for St.Anthony's. He looked a notch above the rest at that level. I definitely think he should be given a fair chance because we certainly lack quality and composure in the back.

1]; } ?>