April 28, 2024, 03:40:46 PM

Author Topic: Celts trying to lure Miller out of retirement  (Read 2848 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Celts trying to lure Miller out of retirement
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
Celts trying to lure Miller out of retirement 
Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Celtics have spoken with future Hall of Famer Reggie Miller about coming out of retirement to help the once-proud franchise in its push for an unprecedented 17th NBA title.

"I'm always flattered when my name is mentioned as someone who can still help an NBA team win a championship," Miller said Wednesday in a statement relayed to The Associated Press by the TNT network. "I've had limited discussions with Celtics management about their roster and a potential role for me. At this time, I'm enjoying my role as an analyst with TNT."
ESPN.com was the first to report the talks. But both sides confirmed the possibility that Miller, who will turn 42 this month, would consider returning for the chance at a championship he never won during an 18-year career, all with the Indiana Pacers.

"(I have) contacted Reggie and he is contemplating a comeback with us," Celtics basketball boss Danny Ainge said through a team spokesman.

Miller's agent, Arn Tellem, declined comment.

Miller, who has been retired for two seasons, is 13th on the league's career scoring list with 25,279 points and the leader in 3-pointers made and attempted. His uniform No. 31 was retired by the Pacers last year.

In addition to working on television broadcasts of NBA and WNBA games, he has run a movie production company called Boom Baby Productions and co-hosted "Live with Regis and Kelly." But he admitted when the Pacers opened training camp without him in 2005 that it wasn't the same thrill.

"It's strange not to be a part of an (NBA) organization or part of a team," he said then. "I'm not joking with anybody on the bus like I usually do. But waking up with my back, knees and ankles hurting — that's not stuff I'm going to miss much."

The Celtics were 24-58 last season and have won three playoff series in the nine years since drafting Paul Pierce. But they have undergone a near-complete roster overhaul this summer that has taken them from a rebuilding program to Eastern Conference contenders.

They traded for seven-time All-Star Ray Allen at the draft and then pulled off an unprecedented 7-for-1 trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves for 2004 NBA MVP Kevin Garnett. Those two will team with Pierce to form one of the most formidable top three in the NBA.

advertisement
 STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

But the rest of the roster needs work.

The starting lineup includes second-year pro Rajon Rondo at point guard and Kendrick Perkins at center. Only four other players are under contract.

"Clearly, we need a little bit more help just to shore up the bench," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said after the Garnett deal. "But it's sure better talking about shoring up our bench than shoring up our starting lineup."

That's where Miller would fit in, as a backup for Allen and the kind of veteran who would provide guidance — and perhaps a key 3-pointer — in the playoffs. (The last time the NBA's most decorated franchise, made the postseason, in 2005, they were bounced out in seven games by the Pacers in Miller's final season).

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Celts trying to lure Miller out of retirement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:36 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: desperation .What a terrible gm ,those 3 and still he needs a veteran presence ,this team ein doing shit .
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:24:34 PM by Quagmire »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: desperation .What a terrible gm ,those 3 and still he needs a veteran presence ,this team ein doing shit .

i agree if he needs ah 42 yr old player especially one that doesnt play defense..allen and pierce only know offense, so adding miller is ah recipe for disaster although miller might only play 15-20 mins ah game...celtics need to surround their big 3 with some hard nose defenders.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »

i agree if he needs ah 42 yr old player especially one that doesnt play defense..allen and pierce only know offense, so adding miller is ah recipe for disaster although miller might only play 15-20 mins ah game...celtics need to surround their big 3 with some hard nose defenders.
bring back DE WORM.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »

Celtics are interested ini putting seats in stands, haveing people watch NESN and getting the Celtics back onNational TV.

The East has no real dominant team and Garnett will mash up in any game other than against Cicago so they fancy their chances of being competeitive.

They know that they can't win a Championship with this team.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »
Deroit not dominant . Anyway  take yah bet the Raps win the series against the Celts .

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »
Quag boy...raps just need ah heavy tank for the final piece..from the charles oakley school of hard thump

then the raps will be the beast of the east

.....oh and for chris not to choke in big games  :devil:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 10:45:27 PM »
Ouch ,llllllssssss ,I hope that was just a one off choke series by Chris dutty .I hear he training hard ,cause if he do that again we should trade him .
As for Oak ,I remember the papers giving him a hard time for wanting to  fight some opposing player in warm ups .And am thinking noooooooooo,we could never replace Oakley .

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »
Pacers great Miller to stay retired 
FOXSports.com, Updated 60 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Two weeks of testing his body to see how it might hold up during the grind of an NBA season has convinced former Indiana Pacers great Reggie Miller to remain retired.

"That's it,'' he told The Indianapolis Star. "Physically, I know I could have done it. But mentally, when you do something like this, you've either got to be all in or all out. And I've decided I'm all out."
Miller, the National Basketball Association's all-time leader in 3-pointers, retired after the 2005 playoffs following 18 seasons with the Pacers. When the Boston Celtics added Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen this summer, Miller's interest in returning to basketball was piqued.

But Miller said his retirement should now be regarded as permanent.

"Please write, I will never, ever, ever try something like this again,'' he joked. "Any of the 30 teams in the NBA, if you're interested, please don't call.''                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
Translation= He wife tell him NO!
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »

Not everybody in your boat yuh know hoss... or should dat be doghouse??....;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »

low blow low blow

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »

low blow low blow

ENT??

de man sneak up on yuh an buss head like ah ol bitter drunkard
......ah now realize what he must be do for he recent birthday

1]; } ?>