April 25, 2024, 05:33:55 PM

Author Topic: Southampton have rejected Derby's £5million bid for Jones.  (Read 24680 times)

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
Southampton have rejected Derby's £5million bid for Jones.
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:00:44 AM »
Saints reject Derby £5million bid for Jones.
Guardian Unlimited.
[/size]

Southampton have turned down a £5m bid from Derby for striker Kenwyne Jones, complaining that the bid "substantially undervalues" the player. The Rams returned with a second offer for Jones, after having an initial bid rejected last week.
Trinidad and Tobago international Jones hit 16 goals last season to help Southampton reach the Championship play-offs, where they were beaten by Derby in a semi-final penalty shootout. However, having already brought in over £8m from the sales of Gareth Bale and Chris Baird this summer, Saints manager George Burley is under no pressure to sanction further departures.
"A further unsolicited and unwelcome approach from Derby County for Kenwyne Jones has been rejected," read a Southampton statement. "George Burley sees Kenwyne playing a major role in Saints' push for promotion this season. Moreover, it is considered that Derby County's latest offer to pay a total of £5m for the player very substantially undervalues his ability and potential as a Premiership-quality striker in the making. The club hope the rejection of Derby's latest offer will now bring the matter to a close."
Southampton are understood to be unhappy with the manner of Derby's initial approach for Jones, although the club have yet to comment on whether they are considering taking further action. Burley reiterated his club's stance, insisting he is only interested in adding to his squad ahead of Saturday's opening game against Crystal Palace. "I am still looking for a couple more players because we are not quite there yet," he said.
Rams Boss: why I'm so keen to add Kenwyne to my strike force.
By: Steve Nicholson (Derby Telegraph).

Billy Davies has outlined why Derby County are prepared to break their club record transfer fee to land striker Kenwyne Jones. Southampton say they have turned down an offer of £5m for the 22-year-old and do not want to sell the Trinidad & Tobago international.
But the Rams, who paid Norwich City a club-record £3.5m for Robert Earnshaw earlier this summer, are still hoping to negotiate a deal for Jones.
Davies is facing a race against time to increase the firepower of his side before the transfer window closes at the end of this month. He says Derby need another two or three options in attack to help them cope in the Premier League.
Jones is his number one target and Davies believes the striker is a real handful for defenders.
"He a young player of good goalscoring ability, great pace and stature," said the manager.
"When you play against teams you see players and take note. Certain players make you nervous and worry you when your teams faces them and Kenwyne is one of those players.
"He's a handful, a major problem for defenders and it would be nice to have him at Derby."
Jones is 6ft 2in tall, strong and athletic. He could have been a cricketer or an athlete but his dream was to play football in England.
His career started with FC Joe Public in Trinidad and he also played for W Connection before joining Southampton three years ago.
He went on loan to Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City in 2004-5 but made his mark at Southampton last season when he scored 14 goals in the Championship, helping Saints to reach the play-offs.
Derby already have strikers Steve Howard Jon Macken, Earnshaw and Craig Fagan but Davies feels Jones will bring something different. The Rams boss also has forwards Jon Stead of Sheffield United and Manchester City's Darius Vassell in his sights.
"Kenwyne is one of many we are looking to bring in to give us a chance of competing at this level," said Davies.
"We have to add to the squad, we have to try to conclude one or two deals very quickly because of the length of time we have left before the window closes. We have identified our targets and now it is crucial to get value for money.
"It's time to put our foot on the gas."
The first task facing Davies last season was to make Derby difficult to beat and he did so.
Now he says more firepower is needed to finish teams off.
"This is crucial in the Premier League because you may only get one chance in a game," he added.
"At this stage last year, we had to build a squad for a three-year plan.
"We won promotion and now we are starting again - and it is a very different ball game.
"We are building a team again but we are at a different level and in a different marketplace. The competition is huge. We are in the best league in the world.
"When you start to build a team, the balance is crucial.
"In some instances you have to go and find good, young talent. Players with a great future ahead of them, players who are excellent value for money, and players you can progress and improve. Kenwyne Jones comes into that bracket.
"On the other side of that, you have to be prepared to take on experienced players who maybe don't have the same value and type of future as regards progression but who have the experience to play in the Premier League and can keep the younger players calm and doing the right things at the right time.
"So getting the right balance between spending on young players and quality experienced players is crucial."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:40:41 PM by Flex »
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
£5m for KENWYN
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29:27 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2644936,00.html

Southampton have rejected Derby's £5million bid for Kenwyne Jones.

The Rams tried for the Trinidad & Tobago international last week, but they returned with an improved offer.

However, The Saints were quick to rule out a sale of the 22-year-old.

Saints snub

"A further unsolicited and unwelcome approach from Derby County for Kenwyne Jones has been rejected," said a Southampton statement.

"George Burley sees Kenwyne playing a major role in Saints' push for promotion this season.

"Moreover, it is considered that Derby County's latest offer to pay a total of £5million for the player very substantially undervalues his ability and potential as a Premiership-quality striker in the making.

"The club hope the rejection of Derby's latest offer will now bring the matter to a close."

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton have rejected Derby's £5million bid for Jones.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:27:49 AM »
Imagine what kinda season Jones could have had if he were not out due t injury at times.  This youth has plenty of upside potential and managed to score 16 goals last season, yet man talking bout he overvalued.  He has the attributes to play in the EPL, has World Cup experience under his belt, and has limited EPL exposure.  I really think if Southampton push it, they could get about 6.5 million pounds for this youth.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:35:31 AM »
He is young and young players will always be worth more, because if you pay 10 million for him he might still be worth at least 10 million in 5 years of even more if he improve.

At least 15 million they will have to put out to get jones.

It is good that southampton value him.

They are the club that took the chance on him and hence I how he can stay there and bring them sucess in the premiership.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Derby's Jones bid angers Saints
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 06:45:11 AM »
Derby's Jones bid angers Saints

Southampton are set to report Derby to the Football Association claiming the Rams have broken League rules over an approach for striker Kenwyne Jones.

The Saints rejected a £5m bid from the Rams, claiming it "substantially undervalued" the 22-year-old.

Southampton officials are angry Jones' agent became aware of the interest despite the bid being rejected.

Saints said on their website: "We hope the rejection of Derby's latest offer will bring the matter to a close."

Saints chief executive Jim Hone is writing to the FA and Derby's chief executive officer Trevor Birch to outline the club's position.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/6933843.stm
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:05:49 AM »
how much they want then?

let de man go.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 07:15:33 AM »
how much they want then?

let de man go.

Yeah ah wish they'll let him go for him to play in the EPL but ah suppose dey have thier reasons too why dey turn down 5million pounds.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
And they have people on here laughing and talking about him not being worth that much. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This site has spawned too many experts!!!!! :devil: :devil:
TnT Patriot

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:30:25 AM »
how much they want then?

let de man go.
They can't let him go. He crucial to their promotion.

Believe me. Southampton need 5 million. They brokes. So the fact that they turn down the offer tell yuh how important they view Kenwyne.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:34:07 AM »
so my question is, how come they ent buy we Top GoalScorer ever, when he became available ? ah man KJ was playin 2nd fiddle too up to ah half season ago ? Dem ppl gone mad or wha ?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
so my question is, how come they ent buy we Top GoalScorer ever, when he became available ? ah man KJ was playin 2nd fiddle too up to ah half season ago ? Dem ppl gone mad or wha ?
KJ is 22 and on his way up. Coaches and managers see world class potential in him. His Southampton coach says KJ could be the next Drogba. Beenie say KJ is better than KJ realizes. All accounts point to him being something special if he keeps it up. If he keeps it up.

That 5 million is more about where he's going than where he is right now.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »
Maxg....you saying he should have replaced Stern last 2 years ????...dais wha yuh saying??>..
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:18:59 AM »
how much they want then?

let de man go.

Believe me. Southampton need 5 million. They brokes. So the fact that they turn down the offer tell yuh how important they view Kenwyne.

They sold Theo Walcott for 12.5 and Gareth Bale for 10 mill....Southampton doh need no money.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »
how much they want then?

let de man go.

They sold Theo Walcott for 12.5 and Gareth Bale for 10 mill....Southampton doh need no money.
Me eh know. I does be on dey message boards reading. And half de topics is about the club financial troubles. And ah think Bale only really went for 3 million. The 10 million is when yuh take other add-ons into account.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:22 AM »
He is young and young players will always be worth more, because if you pay 10 million for him he might still be worth at least 10 million in 5 years of even more if he improve.

At least 15 million they will have to put out to get jones.

It is good that southampton value him.

They are the club that took the chance on him and hence I how he can stay there and bring them sucess in the premiership.

No one will put out that money for Jones, simply because he is only now starting to show some consistency as a player.  He would have commanded a bit more attenton from the top clubs had he remained injury free for more of the season. A 20-goal striker in the Championship is bound to alert the clubs in the EPL, and Jones' was short of that.  I say 6.5 million.  Southanpton not selling they young players on the cheap.  They want back their investment in Jones.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
i really dont think thats a bad thing .....cause i dont c derby staying up, i prefer to see jones  taking southampton to the epl having scored a bag of goals and have bigger clubs knocking at his door
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:52 AM »
de man score 16 goals in de season benching behind Raziak, Fuller and B.Wright-Phillips for a significant portion of the season in de earlies..

that is excellent returns...

they could get a 7 mil for him...

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
jus waitin to see dis man explode into d nex big ting...i been sayin dat yrs now.....he soon reach..i not worried for him

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:09:21 AM »
Maxg....you saying he should have replaced Stern last 2 years ????...dais wha yuh saying??>..

nah...just last year   :D

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:52 AM »

Better stay at Southampton.
If he tearing tings up clubs will go all out to try and get him in January but till then he have a good thing at Southampton.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:04 AM »
Just for the record, Kenwyne scored a total of 18 goals last season. He scored 16 in 29 games in the championship and 2 other goals in cup competitions.

ormarldino, kenwyne was always played when fit.  He started off the season only second to raziak.  Fuller and Wright Phillips were second choice to him.

I hope he doesnt go Derby City, cause Derby going right back down.  They are going to be the "Watford" of next season. 

I would have liked to see him somewhere like Aston Villa, Blackburn, Manchester City or even Portsmouth.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
Just for the record, Kenwyne scored a total of 18 goals last season. He scored 16 in 29 games in the championship and 2 other goals in cup competitions.

ormarldino, kenwyne was always played when fit. He started off the season only second to raziak. Fuller and Wright Phillips were second choice to him.

I hope he doesnt go Derby City, cause Derby going right back down. They are going to be the "Watford" of next season.

I would have liked to see him somewhere like Aston Villa, Blackburn, Manchester City or even Portsmouth.

ah love it!!

Correct me if i am wrong. if he goes to derby even for one season plays consistantly well, gains the attention of bigger clubs  and is relegated, wouldn't that be  better than him staying in the championship. i would think if he is relegated and had a killer season, the same thing that happened to darren bent would happen to him. but if he stays in the championship and is injured god forbid , he losses out on his chance to play in the prem. just asking.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
At de beginning of the summer some Championship side made a failed bid of 1.5 mil (ah tink) for him. Now it's up to 5 mil. Once Jones stays fit and keeps banging in goals his stock will continue rise regardless if he moves to Derby or stays with Southampton.

De man making headlines all over. Go KJ!!!

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1086534,00.html

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »
prem d better choice...mor exposure for kenwyne..fact of d matter if this is d season he want to impress d bigger clubs then he shud do so in d prem so he wud also gain that 'premiership approved' certification...southampton aint look like they makin any waves in d championship dis season last year was their year...time tuh move on kenwyne but dont be rushed cuz u rel young wit a rel promising future..yuh cya blame we if we wa see yuh on d fox sports ah lil mor regular nuh..go head blush.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
I doubt the issue is keeping Kenwyne to help with Southampton's promotion push.

Rather I feel Burley just holding out for an increased bid from Derby.

Kenwyne's status depends on whether Derby feel is worth it to increase dey bid. I personally hope he make the transfer to Derby. Some ppl think Derby won't last in the premiership yet you never know.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »
I doubt the issue is keeping Kenwyne to help with Southampton's promotion push.

Rather I feel Burley just holding out for an increased bid from Derby.

Kenwyne's status depends on whether Derby feel is worth it to increase dey bid. I personally hope he make the transfer to Derby. Some ppl think Derby won't last in the premiership yet you never know.

That is exactly what I was thinking players are as valuable as the offers they recieve and Southampton just holding out for big $$. I think Kenwayne will do well in the EPL but maybe the January Transfer window we might see more interest in him

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »
southampton brought him to england..... i wannna see him pay them back for their faith in him

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 01:37:48 PM »
If he stay dey getting pay in goals. If he go, dey getting pay in $million$.
Either way it sound like dey cyah lose unless he get injured.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
pay dem back for thier faith in him???? hahaha...... da sounds funny...loyalty in the world of football....wen u on top u gotta milk it....dem clubs dont care abt u...u are jus an asset....and d only reason dey reject is because they want to see how much they cud milk it...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »
pay dem back for thier faith in him???? hahaha...... da sounds funny...loyalty in the world of football....wen u on top u gotta milk it....dem clubs dont care abt u...u are jus an asset....and d only reason dey reject is because they want to see how much they cud milk it...

that attitude lands many players on the bench or off the squad when they get it wrong and many do.

1]; } ?>