April 27, 2024, 04:49:38 PM

Author Topic: ole talk aside  (Read 2000 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
ole talk aside
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:46:16 AM »
Putting all ole talk aside, regardless of age, let's engage in some soul searching:

Which years/ eras do you think TNT  had the most dominating presence and success at all levels in football in the Caribbean?

What was the  football climate like at that time in TNT?

What factors  do you think has contributed to a change if any in the standard of our game and in the climate surrounding the game?

What do you think must be done to recapture  a national passion for the game?

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ole talk aside
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »
Alberta is Trini's you dealing with. Putting ole talk aside is impossible. I bet you this thread doh make a second page. 
RIght now I just pasing through will put thoughtful comments later.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
but a....a    ole talk aside but what you think this is ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »
OK A.B Trini- sans ole talk:

In my short lifetime I think the peak of nat'l football was in the "strike squad era" and around then (late 80's early 90's). It may have peaked before but I would have been too young to know. I think Gally's campaign got the public attention to warrant it as a "high" point in Trinidad football. At that point off the top of my head regionally we were probably more competitive because:

1- Most of players came through the same system, played locally on a small number of teams, in a league that had a cult following, some history and the football community was more tight knit. Football in Trinidad is more fragmented now with more players seeking opportunities over seas, and with our local football body trying to establish a global presence. It's a growing pain that we haven't figured out how to solve yet.

2- The idea of an amateur footballer being successful in the region was not outrageous at that point (Many U.S. players for example were ex college, semi-pro, or playing in an unestablished league and I get the feeling that other regional players were also not too far beyond if at all)

3- The gap between pro football and amateur football on a global was probably not as huge as it is today- the professional game at the highest level has evolved and improved so many times over in the last 15 + years that the thought of an amateur player (or a player in a weak pro league such as ours) excelling at the highest level is really a long shot. The physical and technical demands of pro footballers today are really amazing.....and the financial/economic demands on infrastructure and professionalism to support such appears to be beyond T&T.  I don't think that the majority our local players/institutions have a clue.

All in all, the global game has developed faster than our game has....and we have had to make adjustments to the structure of our local game to keep up, and we're still figuring it out.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
Which years/ eras do you think TNT  had the most dominating presence and success at all levels in football in the Caribbean? - 70s - 80s culminating with the strike squad.

What was the  football climate like at that time in TNT? - div. 1-4 and regional league. community support.

What factors  do you think has contributed to a change if any in the standard of our game and in the climate surrounding the game? - rude bwoy culture, 1/2 the male population want to play cricket, best players gone foreign, players wanting $$$ to play. back in the days, you pay to play.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »
I can only talk about the times that I witnessed (from the late 80s on)....From my experience, the Trini population has never been that passionate about football unless we were on the verge of winning something. WC qualification also brings out the masses in the earlies because everyone gets excited about a WC campaign...but if things don't look too great...the numbers will dwindle. Truth is, we aren't that different from most of the world. Success breeds interest...the sad thing is we don't have the infrastructure in place to improve the chances of success and build a strong footballing tradition outside of the caribbean...

I think people will still get behind the current national team in large numbers so long as it includes a core group of WC 2006 players. The most successful period in terms of caribbean domination (in my time) was late 80s, early to mid 90s.

We need a lot of things to make T&T a true football nation...but an organized, transparent TTFF and would be a good start followed by greater gov't support and corporate support

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Dear AB. trini our resident philospher

your topics and ideas are always intriguing and stimulate thought. They help us look at issues from different perspectives and help foster critical, self discovery which i think is sorely lacking within our society. The former notwithstanding all the philosophy in the world cant cure social ills created by a break down of culture and a quest for modernization. I would love to see some practical ideas and "theories" proposed for a change.
         It is inherently difficult, as  i am becoming aware,  for Expatriates not to aquire a "holier than thou" and  unavoidably cynical  views when talking about a place some havent lived in for a decade or more. Ironicllay this is a sign  of caring and frustration.
         All the ole talk aside for once lets get some REAL suggestions instead of dialectic discussions. Lets prove that trinis far and wide arent a nation of talkers but of doers, and those who are the doers arent all corrupt and self serving.

PH.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:04:28 AM by THE Polished Hoe »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »

your topics and ideas are always intriguing and stimulate thought. They help us look at issues from different perspectives and help foster critical, self discovery which i think is sorely lacking within our society. The former notwithstanding all the philosophy in the world cant cure social ills created by a break down of culture and a quest for modernization. I would love to see some practical ideas and "theories" proposed for a change.
         It is inherently difficult, as  i am becoming aware,  for Expatriates not to aquire a "holier than thou" and  unavoidably cynical  views when talking about a place some havent lived in for a decade or more. Ironicllay this is a sign  of caring and frustration.
         All the ole talk aside for once lets get some REAL suggestions instead of dialectic discussions. Lets prove that trinis far and wide arent a nation of talkers but of doers, and those who are the doers arent all corrupt and self serving.

PH.

Good point but:

Are you absconding yourself from the label of "talker" ? -because this post doesn't really suggest that. (unless your REAL suggestions and testament of what you have DONE are hidden somewhere in the verbiage).

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »

PH.

Good point but:

Are you absconding yourself from the label of "talker" ? -because this post doesn't really suggest that. (unless your REAL suggestions and testament of what you have DONE are hidden somewhere in the verbiage).
verbiage from you is a compliment  ;D
i was making a pt because ab began with all ole talk aside. thats why. i never said i was about to offer any suggestions. I am jus suggetsing that all the philosophysing in the world ent count for jack if it isnt turned into  action.
with al the knowledge and experince that this forum obviously holds it usually means nuttin.
say what u will but the only person that i have seen try to do something (i mean for trini not football) who frequents in here is ato in his capacity as sentator, at least it appears that way.
i am sure there maybe others btu it may not be as apparent.
so sorry if my inital post was hollow in your opnion
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »

PH.

Good point but:

i was making a pt because ab began with all ole talk aside. thats why. i never said i was about to offer any suggestions. I am jus suggetsing that all the philosophysing in the world ent count for jack if it isnt turned into  action.
with al the knowledge and experince that this forum obviously holds it usually means nuttin.
say what u will but the only person that i have seen try to do something (i mean for trini not football) who frequents in here is ato in his capacity as sentator, at least it appears that way.

You initial post was not hollow at all (in my opinion)- I acknowledged it was good point..... was just asking the follow up question out of curiosity because based on the build-up, I thought some  REAL suggestions as you call them were going to follow...

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »

PH.

Good point but:

You initial post was not hollow at all (in my opinion)- I acknowledged it was good point..... was just asking the follow up question out of curiosity because based on the build-up, I thought some  REAL suggestions as you call them were going to follow...
well i still hope so. i knwo u mean follow from me. but as i said ealier there are lots of people in here with tons of knowledge and vastly more experince in many areas than i.
i would to hear some pratical ones for a change

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 06:24:55 AM »
I tink rite now we have the "most dominating presence and success" ,but not at all levels.I beleive our ,senior mens team with no replacement players ,can handle and maybe beat any team in the region ,easily no other generation of players can boast that .
Also at no other time in our history ,did we have so many professional players plying there trade abroad,years ago we were so excited when we hear somebody get a contract ,now every weeks somebody get signed.
When some of these young players mature i.e Peltier and Roberts ect ,mixed een with the current crop of vets ,we'll have the Caribbean on lock ,so I tink this generation is.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
ah bringing up the question again least we forget. Allyuh know that we does get side track and forget to look at the 'yampe' in we own eyes. I eh think we own yard clean up yet to move on.

1]; } ?>