March 28, 2024, 05:39:31 AM

Author Topic: Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur  (Read 25224 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:50:02 AM »
Sunderland     v    Tottenham Hotspur
   We say:  Away win (ESPNSOCCERNET)

Tottenham will be without new signing Gareth Bale as the left-back is recovering from thigh and knee problems picked up in pre-season. England internationals Ledley King and Aaron Lennon are recovering from summer knee surgery, while Young-Pyo Lee and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (both knee) are also out. Hossam Ghaly and Kevin-Prince Boateng are short of match-fitness.

Record signing Craig Gordon is set to make his Premier League debut after successfully shrugging off a shoulder injury. Boss Roy Keane is definitely without Grant Leadbitter for up to a month with a hamstring injury, and will give late tests to Carlos Edwards (groin) and Greg Halford (hamstring). Youngster Michael Kay and midfielder Dean Whitehead are standing by as possible replacements. Striker Roy O'Donovan should figure in the squad provided his registration comes through in time.

ROY KEANE'S BIRTHDAY WISH
Keane's birthday wish

By Nick Alexander

Roy Keane celebrates his 36th birthday today and his wish is simple - three points against Tottenham.

Keane will spend the day finalising his team plans for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League opener at the Stadium of Light.

In fact Keane is so focused on the game, he had to be reminded that it was his birthday.

He said: "I forget all about it, I've got more important things to worry about.

"We're at the business end now. There's a good buzz around the club, we're all ready for it and what a game to start with - Spurs at home.

"The Premier League is where Sunderland belong and it's where we intend staying. It's a step up for us but ... bring it on.

"It's a big challenge for everyone at the club and we're ready for it. This is where you want to be if you want to be a top player, taking on the big boys.

"We have nothing to fear and that's what I'll tell the players. I have heard the word survival mentioned with Sunderland but I won't use that word, we hope those days are gone."

Spurs will arrive at the Stadium of Light with one of the most potent strike forces in the Premier League, on paper at least. Darren Bent, Dimitar Berbatov, Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe are all fighting it out for a place in Martin Jol's side.

And after another summer of heavy investment the pressure is on for the team from North London to break into the "big four".

Keane said: "Traditionally, Spurs have always been a very good team to watch. They spent big this summer and they will be looking this year to maybe breaking into the top four."

Sunderland are expecting a crowd of around 45,000 for their return to the top flight.

Keane said: "It's a great one for the fans. I hope the place will be bouncing, we want that. This season will be as important as any before for the club in terms of the support that we need from the fans.

"We want a good start but I'm not going to judge our season on the next six or seven days. I hope it is a better start than last year."
...............................................................................................................................

What do you think? Click here and make your predictions in the SAFC Blog section.

Nick Alexander - safc.com editor
Premiership - Manchester United
FA Cup - Tottenham
Carling Cup - Sunderland
Champions League - Inter Milan
Sunderland:
Finish - 12th
Key man - Carlos Edwards, has everything to be a success in the Premier League.
Best new signing - Dickson Etuhu, has been Sunderland's most consistent performer in pre-season. Shades of Vieira.

Graeme Anderson - football writer, Sunderland Echo
FA Cup - Chelsea
Carling Cup - Arsenal
Champions League - Barcelona
Sunderland:
Finish - 12th
Key man - Carlos Edwards
Best new signing - Craig Gordon

Andy Jones -  ticket office, SAFC
Premiership - Liverpool
FA Cup - Chelsea
Carling Cup - Sunderland
Champions League - Liverpool
Sunderland:
Finish - 7th
Key Man - Paul McShane / Dickson Etuhu
Best new signing - Craig Gordon

Martin Walker - pr officer, SAFC
FA Cup - Tottenham
Carling Cup - Blackburn Rovers
Champions League - Manchester United
Sunderland:
Finish - 12th
Key man - Dean Whitehead
Best new signing - Paul McShane

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:18:36 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:33:21 AM »
game on setanta broadband.

anybody could hook up a stream?

Sat Aug 11 07:40AM Eastern
Length: 2 hr 5 min    LIVE
Setanta Sports USA
English Premier League
Sunderland vs Tottenham Hotspur
Setanta Broadband

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »

Setanta Sports USA
English Premier League
Setanta Broadband

I have to buy this for the first month at least.

Can any of the board memers give a review of the service?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
For the Canadians ..........I hear Setanta has channel 429 on the Digital box. It s free until September !!!!!!

I can`t wait for this game.........CARLOS BETTER start  :beermug:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
For the Canadians ..........I hear Setanta has channel 429 on the Digital box. It s free until September !!!!!!

Niceness, I hope yuh right

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

Setanta Sports USA
English Premier League
Setanta Broadband

I have to buy this for the first month at least.

Can any of the board memers give a review of the service?
I have setanta and it's excellent always first class commentary and coverage,you'll enjoy it.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
I just saw on SkySports that Gordon still iffy from the shoulder injury.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
although berbatov in meh fantasy side i want sunderland to bull up d spurs!

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »

Well I was now doing some reading on Sunderland's website and from all indications only Greg Halford is to undergo late fitness test. If he fails to recover then Dean Whitehead is favourite for the right back position. Craig Gordon is set to make his debut and CARLOS EDWARDS IS FIT TO PLAY. So we will see what Keane starting 11 looks like tommorow. CHEERS!!!!

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »

From Tottenham's website

HUGHTON'S NOTES10/08/2007 11:49:32 NewsNews Headlines  Media Link 
News Archive  Desktop Alerts 

Our regular pre-match assessments of our opponents with Chris Hughton starts with Sunderland as we prepare for the big kick-off on Saturday.

IF I LOOK at Sunderland's pre-season games, Roy Keane has chopped and changed the side, as every team has done.

So you tend to look at the last friendly and for Sunderland, that was against Juventus last Saturday and he went with a 4-4-2 system. At the back it was Greg Halford, Nyron Nosworthy, Paul McShane and Ross Wallace.

Halford is a full-back we know from Colchester who had a short spell at Reading while Nosworthy, who I saw a few times during his time at Gillingham where he played right-back or centre-half, has been used centrally. McShane has made a big impact in the short space of time he's been there, a very dynamic player and someone who has forced himself into the Republic of Ireland squad and team. Wallace at left-back is a player who has an ability to go forward and has played higher up the park on occasions.

In midfield you look at Carlos Edwards, Dean Whitehead, Dickson Etuhu, Liam Miller and Kieran Richardson.

Edwards, who came in from Luton, has had a period out injured in pre-season but from what we've heard, he will be fit to play. We know Whitehead well after he scored a fabulous goal at White Hart Lane a couple of seasons ago and Etuhu is a physical player signed from Preston who can also drive forward.

Everyone knows Richardson, a player they've acquired from Manchester United. He can play wide on the left or central and in him, Sunderland have a player with real quality on the ball.

They have options up front with Anthony Stokes, who did well at Falkirk last season, Daryl Murphy and Michael Chopra, who they signed from Newcastle. That's not even mentioning Stern John and Dwight Yorke, who has played more in midfield of late.

There will be a big crowd, great excitement and I would expect Sunderland to come flying out of the traps.

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »

Again from Tottenham's website

KEANE ON KEANE10/08/2007 12:31:29 NewsNews Headlines  Media Link 
News Archive  Desktop Alerts 

Robbie Keane said it was not hard to detect the managerial credentials of his namesake and Sunderland boss Roy during the former Republic of Ireland captain's playing days.

The ex-Manchester United midfield enforcer took over at the Stadium of Light at the end of August last year with the team on a pretty low ebb having lost five out of their first six games but the more senior Keane, in his first management post, drove the Black Cats to the top of the table and the Championship title.

"Oh yes, anyone could see it, he had and has all the credentials to be a top manager," said Robbie on his old Republic teammate. "He has already proved something with winning the Championship after taking over when Sunderland were at the bottom end. It was remarkable and full credit to them.

"When I was playing with him he had an aura about him and the respect of all the players," added Robbie, who expects a big test in the seasonal opener.

"Obviously it is a massive occasion for them with having just been promoted to the Premier League with Roy in charge. It will be a tough game as it always is against a newly promoted side, especially with it being up there with the fans who really do get behind them.

"It will be a different experience for some of the new lads who will never have witnessed it before and it will be a great experience for them in their first game. It is one we are looking to get a good win in after a strong pre-season."

From our own perspective, pre-season has gone according to plan with seven wins from as many games. Robbie is now looking for the winning run to continue into the new campaign.

"It has been good, but the most important thing in pre-season is your fitness and getting yourself ready for the start of the season. You do want to win the games though, to get that winning mentality and in the last three pre-seasons now it has gone well for us.

"It is important now to bring that into the season.

"It has gone the way we've wanted but, as a player, we just want to get on with it now - the real stuff, which is the Premier League. We are looking forward to Saturday's game and all the players are raring to go."

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »
T&T Viewers????
I kno it nah on fsc broadcast, ayone kno if cnc3 go carry de coverage ??

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 05:49:18 PM »
T&T Viewers????
I kno it nah on fsc broadcast, ayone kno if cnc3 go carry de coverage ??

No FSC no Sportsmax

Our early morning game is gone....  this makes me f**king angry

i will have to watch a stream

oh i wish i had setanta dread

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 05:51:34 PM »

Niceness, I hope yuh right

oh ho! i was wondering if ah had Setanta (on Dish Network) all dis time and didn't know it. Give thanks. By de way ah see the old Latas play against Gretna yesterday, yuh doing de usual, capping man, making assist and SCORING, give thanks to Setanta!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »
common sunderland  :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
Tottenham test for Keano's Sunderland

Sunderland manager Roy Keane believes the lessons he has learned from some of the greatest managers in British football history will stand him in good stead as he prepares to embark on his debut season in a Premier League dugout.

Keane will lead his team out for Saturday's Stadium of Light clash with Tottenham clearly treasuring the experience gained during his prestigious career under the likes of Brian Clough and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Keane said: 'I hope I have learned something from all the managers I have played under, not just at Manchester United but also Brian Clough and those I played under when I was 10 or 11 years of age.

'Hopefully all the experience will help me but only time will tell. Even the top managers make mistakes and I made a few last year. But I'd like to think that I'm a quick learner.'

Keane hopes to have club record signing Craig Gordon in goal for the Black Cats' Premier League return after the Scot sealed his big-money move to Wearside this week.

The Sunderland boss has already developed some of the intractable character traits renowned of his mentors.

He is adamant that the word 'survival' is one which should be banned from the club's training ground this year.

'What is survival?' added Keane. '15th? 16th? 17th? We did okay last year but we have achieved nothing at this club. We want to build on it now and hopefully be a success for many years to come.

'The Premiership is full of people whom I have the utmost respect for. People who have been successful not just for one season but for years and years.

'The sign of a top player or manager is one who can do it consistently. That is how you gauge if somebody has been a success in life and it is a massive challenge for us all.'

Keane expects Gordon to be fit to make his top-flight debut but he has doubts over full-back Greg Halford, who faces a late test on a hamstring injury, with youngster Michael Kay standing by to replace him.

Despite his hectic summer transfer activity which continued yesterday with the signing of Cork City striker Roy O'Donovan, Keane will kick off the new season with an eye on more reinforcements before the transfer window closes.

Keane's interest in Tottenham striker Mido continues and he added: 'I'd like to think we can get two more players in before the transfer window (closes) and we are working hard to get them in.'

The Black Cats' dismal start to their previous campaign still weighs heavy on the mind of Keane, who rescued them after four consecutive defeats to ultimately steer them to the Championship title.

Another such dismal start would surely have graver consequences in the more rarefied air of the Premier League, and Keane acknowledges the importance of preventing recent history from repeating itself.

'It is important we remain calm and focused,' added Keane. 'We deserve to be in the Premiership and hopefully we are going to make our mark on it.

'There is definitely a buzz around the place and we're all ready for a game which won't make or break our season, but I think it is very important we made a good start.

'For the last two or three seasons we have had a disappointing start to the season so we want to get off to a good one. We hope the new boys can come in and hit the ground running.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=451854&cc=5901
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »
wat time is the match locally?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
ok ah startin to panic fsc nor sportsmax showin d game live >:(

ah at d mercy of streaming  :praying:

somebody please put ah hand
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
 A little of the topic but it appears that MIDO has agreed wi Middlesbrough.

£6m striker deal near completion
20070810 18:02 
Spurs striker Mido has agreed personal terms and passed the first part of a medical at Middlesbrough over a £6million move. 
More to follow....

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
how yuh mean no sportsmax  ??? I know they usually carry the early moring game and it shows on CNC3. What going on with that?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 07:43:42 PM »

Spurs striker Mido has agreed personal terms and passed the first part of a medical at Middlesbrough over a £6million move. 
More to follow....

Ah saw dat. If is true.....then...... :whew: :whew:

Mido would have toally disrupted the balance and team chemistry at Sunderland as he is jess too much drama, manipulative, selfish and spoilt-brat. I am relieved as I think Keano was making a mistake.......or maybe Keano was jess bluffing to make Boro bleed out all dey funds on a higher bid for Mido
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »

More to follow....

Ah saw dat. If is true.....then...... :whew: :whew:

Mido would have toally disrupted the balance and team chemistry at Sunderland as he is jess too much drama, manipulative, selfish and spoilt-brat. I am relieved as I think Keano was making a mistake.......or maybe Keano was jess bluffing to make Boro bleed out all dey funds on a higher bid for Mido

That is not good news for sunderland.  Sunderland NEEDS a striker, Mido or of course someone better than him.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »

This is reason no. 52  why ah like this site ,thanks for the tip  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »
Depends on where "locally" is.  12:45 pm EST in the US.  I believe TnT and the US back on the same clock thru the fall...so 12:45 pm TnT time.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
Depends on where "locally" is.  12:45 pm EST in the US.  I believe TnT and the US back on the same clock thru the fall...so 12:45 pm TnT time.

The game is 7 30 am trini time       

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 12:09:08 AM »

The game is 7 30 am trini time       

Correction...that 12:45 pm was GMT...so 7:45 am EST and Trini time.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 03:35:42 AM »
8:30 pm Saturday night for me.... ;D ;D ;D

Let the games begin.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 04:36:08 AM »
so there's no way to watch it for the locally based?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »
so there's no way to watch it for the locally based?
if yuh cya get it locally im certain that sopcast or tvu player wil have channel showing it.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 04:56:47 AM »
By the way... whey all de Trinderland crew... TIME TO GET UP.  De game on in less than an hour now... check in  shoulda done start already..
All sleeping beauty wake up... Trinbagoland in de area and we ah run tings.... Spurs have to brakes today (  :yapping: :yapping: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :praying: :praying:) ah hope Carlos playing with all dis shit ah talkin...

WAKE UP!!!
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>