April 27, 2024, 05:01:53 PM

Author Topic: remember this team  (Read 4115 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
remember this team
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
The Dream Fulfilled
Posted Aug 7 2007 4:21PM
  Print  E-mail  RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook

Dream Team: By the Numbers
USAB Index
2007 FIBA Americas Championship

Michael Jordan on winning the 1992 gold medal
 MJ averaged 12.7 points per game to lead the Dream Team to a 6-0 record.
 Charles Barkley looking back at the Dream Team
 Sir Charles was the leading scorer for the 1992 gold-medal winning team. He also participated in the 1996 Olympics.
 General USAB history
 The 1992 USA Basketball team is the greatest collection of talent on one squad.

Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images
Led by legends Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, the U.S. Dream Team captured a gold medal in the 1992 Summer Olympics.
They were a global phenomenon. The Dream Team, basketball's equivalent of Elvis, Ali or the Beatles, was comprised of some of the NBA's greatest players -- Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Clyde Drexler, Chris Mullin and one lucky collegian, Duke's Christian Laettner. For the first time in international basketball history, NBA players were allowed to compete for the United States in Olympic competition. Compete? The Dream Team won by an average of 43.8 points per game, and despite the lopsided losses, their opponents were simply happy to be on the same court as their heroes.
"It has been great," said Brazilian guard Marcel de Souza after a 44-point loss to the U.S.

"I am so overwhelmed with joy," said Marcelo Milanesio after Argentina's 41-point defeat.

Aug. 8, 2007 marks the 15th anniversary of the Dream Team's Olympic gold medal and NBA.com is celebrating its greatness. Below is what head coach Chuck Daly, who didn't call a timeout during the Olympic competition, had to say about guiding the greatest sports team ever assembled.

By Chuck Daly

I’ve only tasted champagne in a locker room three times in a coaching career that began in 1955 at Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, Area Joint High School. The first two occasions were when the Detroit Pistons won the NBA titles in 1989 and 1990. The third time was in Barcelona, when we accomplished our goal and won the Olympic gold medal. We only had a little champagne that night, but it tasted very good.

“Dream Team” is a lot of name to live up to, but, if anything, the 1992 U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team exceeded all hopes and expectations. I think we truly gave the world a glimpse – only a glimpse, since we were never seriously challenged – of what basketball can be like at its highest level.

Chris Mullin accurately summed up all the elements that had to come together to produce this phenomenon, starting with the decision three years ago to open the Olympics to NBA players. Then he ticked off some more: “how badly we wanted to get back the gold. A number of top players in their prime, and a couple of others at the end of their careers. And everybody willing to throw egos, individual statistics, and all that other stuff out the window to prepare to be the best team ever.”

The one thing I will remember most about this team is the professionalism of the athletes. That’s what got us past all the distractions, all the controversies. They wanted to play as a team, put individual statistics aside, and work toward a common goal. A lot of bonding took place among these 12 athletes during the weeks we were together, and it was great to see and be part of.

Many people have asked me, what was I feeling when that final buzzer sounded?

Relief, mainly. This had been a long process, not just seven weeks but almost a year’s worth of thought and preparation. There were high expectations and some trepidation. All the players were major stars on their own teams, and as coaches we had some questions as to what would be needed to bring them together. So I felt a form of relief, mixed with joy and a sense of accomplishment, at having put it all together and won the Olympic title.

We finished the way we had begun – with a prayer. Before our first game together in Portland, Michael Jordan said, “Let’s say a prayer…’” After we beat Croatia in the gold medal game and got back to the locker room, I called everybody together and we said the same prayer. Somehow, it seemed fitting.

Afterward, Magic was asked, “When will there be another Olympic team like this one?” He answered the reporters, “Well, you guys won’t be around, and neither will we.”

I watched the medal ceremony from the front row of press seats along with my assistant coaches, Lenny Wilkens, Mike Krzyzewski, and P.J. Carlesimo. Only the players get medals and climb up on the victory stand, because the Olympics are supposed to be a celebration of the athletes. At the end of the ceremony, however, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, and some of the other guys started waving for us to join them. We declined, because this was their moment, but I was very touched that they wanted to include us in it.

Some of the players had been on that victory stand before – Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, and Chris Mullin were on the 1984 team that won in Los Angeles – but most had never won gold medals. For some, this was their first taste of Olympic victory, and that made it even more special.

I thought there was true joy and true sentiment on that winner’s stand, and the players’ comments in the locker room afterward really confirmed that. Karl Malone said it was “an awesome feeling, to see 12 athletes come together and do something for their country.” David Robinson, who was on the 1988 team that lost in the semifinals and came away from Seoul with a bronze medal, said, “Everything surges up inside you when they play the national anthem. It will be my happiest memory.” And Magic said, “It was the most awesome feeling I’ve ever had winning anything, especially when the national anthem was played. Goose bumps just came all over my body. It’s definitely the most exciting thing I’ve ever been through.”

Being with this team was like traveling with 12 rock stars, that’s all I can compare it to. Our every move caused quite a commotion. I’m sure there are some people in Barcelona who are happy we’re gone, like the owner of the little restaurant next to our hotel who said his regulars couldn’t make it down the street because of all the security surrounding us, but there was real adulation everywhere we went.

The Dream Team was very special in terms of talent, but I think it also was special on a personal level to people around the world – to the French fans who came out at midnight to meet us at the Nice airport, to the UC-San Diego students who waited outside their gym for one of our practices to end so they could see us, and to the many fans in Barcelona who staked out our hotel day and night to watch us come and go. And, of course, it was special to the thousands who saw our games in person and the billions who watched us on television worldwide.

Worldwide interest in the sport is what the International Basketball Federation had in mind when it voted in 1989 to let NBA players participate in the Olympics. Yes, we dominate the tournament, to the point where the only competition was for the Silver and Bronze medals. And surely we reestablished the U.S. dominance in the sport. But I believe we did a lot of good. By capturing people’s imagination, the Dream Team gave a big boost to the popularity of basketball around the world. We really won’t be able to gauge the overall impact for awhile. But when you have a team with this magnificent talent on TV in roughly 190 countries, before some 3 billion people, it’s got to improve the way the game is played.

Out there somewhere was a 12-year-old or a 13-year-old, not necessarily in the United States or in Spain but in any country, who perhaps was seeing these players for the first time. Now that youngster has a dream, and will be willing to work to make that dream come true. And maybe someday that child will get to compete in the Olympics and perhaps win a gold medal.

Reprinted
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: remember this team
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
i think when it comes to talent this would probably be de best team ever assembled in any sport.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
that was de bess team i ever saw play 2gether breds... :beermug: brings back memories, unstoppable... I once heard barkley's background was trini, is this true?

God is de BOSS...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
that was de bess team i ever saw play 2gether breds... :beermug: brings back memories, unstoppable... I once heard barkley's background was trini, is this true?

God is de BOSS...
nah i eh tink so,kareem on de other hand have trini roots.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »
Chris Mullin...now that is ah name I eh hear in years
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
i think when it comes to talent this would probably be de best team ever assembled in any sport.

I don't think that team was any more star-studded than the average brasilian football team. 

the ting is that people accustomed to seeing all brasil big stars playing on the same side, so the appeal wear off. 

Also, there weren't many countries that played bball seriously other than the US at that time, so the gap between dem and the rest of the world was wider.

big side nonetheless.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »

I don't think that team was any more star-studded than the average brasilian football team. 

the ting is that people accustomed to seeing all brasil big stars playing on the same side, so the appeal wear off. 

Also, there weren't many countries that played bball seriously other than the US at that time, so the gap between dem and the rest of the world was wider.

big side nonetheless.

i agree that the dream team was the biggest ting outside of brazil teams in 1970 and 1982 (although it hard to claim that this squad was great since they eh win)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »

big side nonetheless.
the average brazilian team could get cut ass like everybody else.remember mexico in de last copa ah few weeks back.that dream team was UNBEATABLE,UNSTOPPABLE and SECOND TO NONE.if at that time yuh had assembled ah world bball team,still de dream team woulda cut ass.if that same team came back in 96,guaranteed they would of won gold too.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »
the average brazilian team could get cut ass like everybody else.remember mexico in de last copa ah few weeks back.that dream team was UNBEATABLE,UNSTOPPABLE and SECOND TO NONE.

your ability to win games is not just about how talented your team is, but also about the talent of the opposition.  that is why we are disappointed when T&T don't win digicel but are overjoyed by a nil-nil draw against sweden.

the fact that a full-strength brasilian team (brasil was not full-strength in copa by the way) could get a cut ass is a testament to the fact that other countries also produce very talented football teams that play on a similarly high level.  that is to be expected because football is the game that everyone plays. 

9 out of 10 times when you see an interview with a non-US NBA player he will say that he grow up playing football but he get too tall to wear the gears that used to get passed down in the family. or some story like that. 
basketball on the other hand is currently undergoing a surge in popularity that dates back to around 1990.  Here I'm referring to people actually playing the game fervently as opposed to watching Magic v Bird on tv during the 80s.

if at that time yuh had assembled ah world bball team,still de dream team woulda cut ass

I agree, but that is that is not a very persuasive argument.  In 1992, the rest of the world didn't play basketball as much as they do now.  A best of the world team in 1992 woulda basically have been mostly Croatians and Serbians.  they would have been beaten more or less as easily as a combined Yugoslavia team. 
Now a best of the world team would have Ginobili, Nowitzki, Nash, Parker, Nene, Barbosa, Gasol, Stojakovic, Okur, Kirilenko, Diaw etc.  Not good enough to beat the 1992 dream team, but definitely a significant improvement.  10 years from now an international all-star team will be even better.

if that same team came back in 96,guaranteed they would of won gold too.

dream team 2 did win gold in 96 with a roster that wasn't strictly considered the NBA's best.

but anyhow, I agree with it being the best basketball team ever.  I just find that when yuh talk about the best team ever in any sport you have to look at the situation in a wider context.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
the average brazilian team could get cut ass like everybody else.remember mexico in de last copa ah few weeks back.that dream team was UNBEATABLE,UNSTOPPABLE and SECOND TO NONE.

your ability to win games is not just about how talented your team is, but also about the talent of the opposition.  that is why we are disappointed when T&T don't win digicel but are overjoyed by a nil-nil draw against sweden.

the fact that a full-strength brasilian team (brasil was not full-strength in copa by the way) could get a cut ass is a testament to the fact that other countries also produce very talented football teams that play on a similarly high level.  that is to be expected because football is the game that everyone plays. 

9 out of 10 times when you see an interview with a non-US NBA player he will say that he grow up playing football but he get too tall to wear the gears that used to get passed down in the family. or some story like that. 
basketball on the other hand is currently undergoing a surge in popularity that dates back to around 1990.  Here I'm referring to people actually playing the game fervently as opposed to watching Magic v Bird on tv during the 80s.

if at that time yuh had assembled ah world bball team,still de dream team woulda cut ass

I agree, but that is that is not a very persuasive argument.  In 1992, the rest of the world didn't play basketball as much as they do now.  A best of the world team in 1992 woulda basically have been mostly Croatians and Serbians.  they would have been beaten more or less as easily as a combined Yugoslavia team. 
Now a best of the world team would have Ginobili, Nowitzki, Nash, Parker, Nene, Barbosa, Gasol, Stojakovic, Okur, Kirilenko, Diaw etc.  Not good enough to beat the 1992 dream team, but definitely a significant improvement.  10 years from now an international all-star team will be even better.

if that same team came back in 96,guaranteed they would of won gold too.

dream team 2 did win gold in 96 with a roster that wasn't strictly considered the NBA's best.

but anyhow, I agree with it being the best basketball team ever.  I just find that when yuh talk about the best team ever in any sport you have to look at the situation in a wider context.
daryn yuh talkin bout MJ,MAGIC,BIRD,THOMAS,BARKLEY,MALONE..that is like diego,pele,cruyff on de same team.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
isiah thomas wasn't on that team. 

Since you bring him up, I could point out that quite a few players from that era who were just as good as a lot of people on the team.
1) Isiah was universally considered to be a better player than John Stockton at that time.  Rumour is that Jordan didn't want him on the team because they didn't get along.
2) Dominique Wilkins could easily have played Drexler or Pippen's role on the team.
3) Mitch Richmond was the star player on a team that chris mullin was also on
4) Olajuwon hadn't gotten his US citizenship as yet, was better than David Robinson and Ewing.
5) Laettner was picked as the designated college player ahead of Shaq and Mourning who both got drafted ahead of him.

MJ, magic, bird, barkley and malone might seem like diego, pele, cruyff at the time now but after Kobe, Lebron, Garnett, Iverson etc finish their careers they might seem more like the Brasil 1970 team or maybe like the ronaldo, romario, rivaldo, juninho, edmundo, bebeto, roberto carlos generation

In any case, I sticking with my greatest basketball team of all time position.  I doubt anybody could move me away from dat.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:57:22 PM »
isiah thomas wasn't on that team. 

Since you bring him up, I could point out that quite a few players from that era who were just as good as a lot of people on the team.
1) Isiah was universally considered to be a better player than John Stockton at that time.  Rumour is that Jordan didn't want him on the team because they didn't get along.
2) Dominique Wilkins could easily have played Drexler or Pippen's role on the team.
3) Mitch Richmond was the star player on a team that chris mullin was also on
4) Olajuwon hadn't gotten his US citizenship as yet, was better than David Robinson and Ewing.
5) Laettner was picked as the designated college player ahead of Shaq and Mourning who both got drafted ahead of him.

MJ, magic, bird, barkley and malone might seem like diego, pele, cruyff at the time now but after Kobe, Lebron, Garnett, Iverson etc finish their careers they might seem more like the Brasil 1970 team or maybe like the ronaldo, romario, rivaldo, juninho, edmundo, bebeto, roberto carlos generation

In any case, I sticking with my greatest basketball team of all time position.  I doubt anybody could move me away from dat.
wilkins career was windin dong,scottie was in his prime,hakeem lucky MJ wasnt in de league because he would not win them 2 rings,mullin fuh mitch,how much blacks yuh go put on de team,mix it up ah lil bit.8 black 4 white.ah agree with u here i woulda pick shaq over christian anyday.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
watch dominique numbers the seasons before and after that olympics

Season  Ag Tm    G   MP   FG  FGA  3P  3PA   FT  FTA ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK  TO  PF  PTS
1991-92 32 ATL  42 38.1 10.1 21.8 0.9 3.0  7.0  8.4  2.5  4.6  7.0  3.8  1.2  0.6   2.9 1.8  28.1
1992-93 33 ATL  71 37.3 10.4 22.3 1.7 4.5  7.3  8.8  2.6  4.2  6.8  3.2  1.0  0.4   2.6 1.6  29.9

now that I think about it, I think the reason he wasn't on the squad was that he had get the injury halfway through the 1991-1992 season that had put him out after 42 games.  but that memory kinda hazy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:15:58 PM by daryn »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
watch dominique numbers the seasons before and after that olympics

Season  Ag Tm    G   MP   FG  FGA  3P  3PA   FT  FTA ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK  TO  PF  PTS
1991-92 32 ATL  42 38.1 10.1 21.8 0.9 3.0  7.0  8.4  2.5  4.6  7.0  3.8  1.2  0.6   2.9 1.8  28.1
1992-93 33 ATL  71 37.3 10.4 22.3 1.7 4.5  7.3  8.8  2.6  4.2  6.8  3.2  1.0  0.4   2.6 1.6  29.9

now that I think about it, I think the reason he wasn't on the squad was that he had get the injury halfway through the 1991-1992 season that had put him out after 42 games.  but that memory kinda hazy.

these 2 seasons hawks record was poor.38-44 in 91 and 43-39 in 92.doh get me wrong wilkins was good.yuh go take ah old wilkins over ah young scottie.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
basketball is a team sport.  I not holding it against nique that the best teammate he ever had was stacey augmon.

yes, in 1992 I would take dominique over pippen and mullin. the man average 29.9 ppg the season after that olympics and yuh talking as if he was washed up. 
if yuh want to talk about old, then talk about bird who is 4 years older than wilkins, only played 45 games the season before, barely averaging 20 ppg and retired from pro ball as soon as the medal ceremony was over.

the fact that Olajuwon get lucky that Jordan retired doesn't take away from the fact he was better than all the big men on the dream team.

I'm just making the point that 5 or 6 of the men who did make the roster would have to consider themselves a little bit on the fortunate side, just as 5 or 6 men who didn't make it could consider themselves to be somewhat unlucky.

what you could say is that you might never get a  leading trio like MJ, Magic and Bird on a basketball team ever again.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »
ah woulda take wilkins over chris mullin any day, chris mullin was a small forward with a consistent jump shot but that was about it.... he never had numbers like de human highlight reel..

Also where was Sean Kemp during that era was he a consideration yet?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
kemp wasn't playing at an all-star level yet.  In fact, I don't think many people would disagree with the statement that he was never the same level of player that them men was, even in his prime.

however, he was the best in-game dunker I have ever seen and I'm always glad to link to a highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQq1tUw6NM

you couldn't have a weekly countdown on NBA actions without at least 2 offerings from the reign man
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:12:12 PM by daryn »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »
when the sonics made the nba finals against bulls, kemp was at that superstar level you referring to.. Besides catching any wild pass that Payton pelt and wetting men, he actually develop a solid perimeter game and was de marquee player on that side..

But i sure it had bout 5 other men better than mullin to make that dream team because he was one man on the roster to make you go  :o and when you saw him sub in it was like an anticlimax...

Ah mean.. out comes drexler/jordan/bird/magic and in comes.... mullin  ??? definitely a token white inclusion.

Wasn't Rodman considered?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26:20 PM »
dream team was 92, sonics made the finals in 96.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »
while I enjoyed the Dreamers especially after meh boi Magic HIV announcement they only come up with that because dey was getting licks ask Danny Manning and d admiral in 88 bronze 4 dem. So they come up wit d Dream Team but that an all eh wuking because Ginobli  and Argentina get gold in Greece
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
i wouldnt say dominique could have played pippen role..dominique wasnt known for any form of defensive play but he was definitely very exciting to watch...i would classify him as a denilson with a lil more substance.

1]; } ?>