April 25, 2024, 04:52:21 PM

Author Topic: Red Bulls' young star Altidore scores twice in 3-0 win over Toronto FC  (Read 2058 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Red Bulls' young star Altidore scores twice in 3-0 win over Toronto FC

Preview - Box Score - Recap   

August 12, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Teen sensation Jozy Altidore scored twice and Juan Pablo Angel had a goal and an assist Sunday to lead the New York Red Bulls to a 3-0 victory over Toronto FC.

The 17-year-old Altidore, the youngest player in Major League Soccer, has five goals on the season. It was his first multigoal game in MLS, though he's done it before for the U.S. Under-20 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Angel "takes all the pressure off me and I just follow his lead," Altidore said. "He looks for you and all you have to do is make a conscious effort to be around the ball. He's going to get you chances to score."

Toronto did not have a shot on goal. The Red Bulls took 21 shots to just three for Toronto.

The Red Bulls scored in the 24th minute when a cross from Clint Mathis was deflected by Toronto defender Tyrone Marshall and landed directly on the foot of Angel, who blasted it past goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos.

It was the 10th goal of the season for Angel and his first since June 16.

The score remained 1-0 through halftime, and Altidore got into gear after the break.

In the 50th minute, he beat Toronto FC defender Adam Braz to the ball and a collision between Altidore, Braz and keeper Stamatopoulos resulted in a goal for the teenager.

In the 63rd minute, Altidore received a pass from Angel and knocked a low liner past Stamatopoulos for the final score.

"They have been working well together in training and they're getting comfortable with each other," New York coach Bruce Arena said. "When two forwards play off each other like that, they're dangerous and they can score goals."

The Red Bulls (9-7-3) jumped from fourth place into a tie for second in the Eastern Conference with D.C. United behind New England.

Toronto FC (5-10-5) is winless in its last six matches, with three losses and three ties since July 4. It is last in the conference.

Red Bulls captain Claudio Reyna started the game, but left in the 22nd minute with a groin injury and was replaced by Mathis.

Toronto played the final 25 minutes of the game down a player, after midfielder Chris Pozniak received a red card for a hard foul on New York midfielder Dane Richards.

Warrior For Life !!

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I didn't see the game, how did Samuel play? Looks like the injuries getting the better of T.O.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
In many sports i've seen a huge number of guys label 'd next bes ting' or whateva over d years. Many end up in d Darius Miles, Ryan Leaf category; and others like Lebron and Peyton Manning live up to it. While d american media been quick to crown everybody like Landon and Adu king I honestly believe this youth have a great future. He might also might not become king but I c him having a long career in EPL. With that body and talent he jus gotta have a good work ethic to complete d matrix.

As a side note i give away my ticket for d game and stay home and watch it on tv...feelin real dumb about that right now.
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In many sports i've seen a huge number of guys label 'd next bes ting' or whateva over d years. Many end up in d Darius Miles, Ryan Leaf category; and others like Lebron and Peyton Manning live up to it. While d american media been quick to crown everybody like Landon and Adu king I honestly believe this youth have a great future. He might also might not become king but I c him having a long career in EPL. With that body and talent he jus gotta have a good work ethic to complete d matrix.

As a side note i give away my ticket for d game and stay home and watch it on tv...feelin real dumb about that right now.

another side note, de red bulls need to hurry up and get they own stadium because them NFL markings/lines are an eye sore.....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And keep in mind that Altidore is still only 17.

Watch out, fellas! Because at the rate he's going he will soon be terrorizing defenses throughout CONCACAF when the qualifiers roll around. 
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Altidore is the one player on The US team that stood out for me at the recent u20 wc. Just saw the highlights of the game against TO FC while in the gym this morning, that second goal was sweet.

Altidore will be trouble in the region.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Red Bulls tandem terrorizes Toronto

They haven't had many chances to play together for a variety of reasons, mostly because Jozy Altidore missed a month of the MLS season playing with the U.S. national team in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup. But on Sunday afternoon Altidore, the 17-year-old star of the future, and Juan Pablo Angel, the former English Premiership standout, linked up to wreak havoc on Toronto FC.

The result was a 3-0 victory, with Altidore scoring a brace, Angel scoring his 10th goal of the year and the New York Red Bulls cruising to a win in their first game since July 26.

"I think our forwards worked very well today from the start creating chances either for themselves or for others," Red Bulls boss Bruce Arena said. "They had a good mentality today and they work well together. Jozy is very comfortable with Juan."

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

another side note, de red bulls need to hurry up and get they own stadium because them NFL markings/lines are an eye sore.....

For real..de gridiron ting real confuse me...I didnt even know  where dem men was takin corner kicks from

whapm to de new york cosmos stadium? dat mash up or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toronto FC eh score a goal in over 400 mins....lawd

and Samuel injured so that is added pressure

hope he bounce back soon, he look good in the Galaxy game

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>