April 25, 2024, 03:45:39 PM

Author Topic: felix trinidad v roy jones jr.  (Read 1921 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
felix trinidad v roy jones jr.
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:08:53 PM »
Trinidad set to return from retirement 
Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Felix Trinidad doesn't speak English so well, yet made his position very clear.

Only one fighter could lure him from retirement: Roy Jones Jr.
"Roy Jones is one of the biggest and greatest champions ever in boxing," Trinidad said Monday. "But he's never faced a puncher like me."

He will in January, when the two stars meet at an undetermined site in what promoter Don King is already calling "the people's championship." Both have agreed to fight at 170 pounds — 10 pounds more than Trinidad has ever carried into the ring, and five less than what Jones weighed when he beat previously undefeated Anthony Hanshaw last month.

"It's a unique, special event that this sport needs," Jones said. "If you can't put it on the line for this, then you can't put it on the line for anything. This is the type of thing you put it on the line for. The sport needs another megafight and that's what this is."

Trinidad hasn't fought since losing to Winky Wright in May 2005 and has only prevailed in two bouts in the last six years. But when King flew to Puerto Rico about two months ago to gauge his interest in a comeback, Trinidad quickly said he'd be open to a matchup with Jones.

"This is going to be one of the most thrilling events we've seen in boxing in many, many decades," King said. "This is about pleasing the people."

Trinidad signed his part of the contract Monday, and King said he'd move quickly to get a deal struck with Jones — who flew down from Pensacola, Fla. only hours after Trinidad formally agreed to the deal.

"I don't understand how Tito thinks he's going to win," said Jones' adviser, McGee Wright. "But he's a fighter and that's what we like. If he didn't think he could win, he wouldn't be there."

Trinidad is a former welterweight, super welterweight and middleweight champion and a national hero in his homeland of Puerto Rico. He took 2 1/2 years off before beating Ricardo Mayorga in 2004, but was dominated when he met Wright seven months later.

He retired again after that fight, but whispers of a Trinidad-Jones possible matchup have been circling for months.

"Most fighters of Tito Trinidad's stature would want a warmup fight after being off for this long," King said. "Not Tito Trinidad."

There was a sense last year that Trinidad was considering coming back to fight Oscar De La Hoya — which would have likely been a huge draw, given how close many thought their bout was in 1999 when Trinidad won a controversial decision for the WBC and IBF welterweight titles.

Over the weekend, De La Hoya reiterated that he doesn't expect that rematch — which has been talked about for years — to ever happen, since Trinidad likely isn't interested in dropping to his weight class.

"Sure, I'd fight Tito if he comes down to 154," De La Hoya said. "I think there's probably more realistic opportunities for me with other fights, though."

advertisement
 STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

Felix Trinidad Sr., the fighter's father, manager and trainer, said he probably wouldn't have agreed to another comeback try unless the potential fight had the marquee appeal he believes a Trinidad-Jones matchup will carry.

And he's not worried about the layoff, either.

"I can be proud to bring my son into battle with a giant such as Roy Jones," the elder Trinidad said. "My son's a legend, but so is Roy Jones. And Roy Jones has been there forever. He's made an indelible mark on people around the world."

Trinidad is 42-2; Jones Jr. is 51-4. Neither plans to fight before January matchup, and King hopes to have an exact date and site set soon.

"It's going to be a very big fight. A huge fight," Trinidad said. "I hear from Roy that somebody has to go down in this fight. I have to tell you Roy, it's going to be you. I always come to win."

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: felix trinidad v roy jones jr.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
big mistake on felix behalf,true roy past he prime but tito eh no match fuh jones.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »
Clash of Titans, tito is good but Roy is one-of-a-kind, dat man on a completely differnet planet. Of the great fights that could have been I think Roy Jones Jr.vs Sugar Ray Leonard would have been spectacular.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »
this saturday.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
Yeh I supposed to be going to a hang at one ah meh neighbours house to see the match. We did one for the last one with the american and english guy, that was nice.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
good thing tito pick a righty this time. like is last lap for both of them ent?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
I find that fight irritatin....damn thing so one sided

Jones toy with the man whole night....he could knock him out in the 8th...and me eh know,,MAYBE because de two ah dem is pardner, like he spare him

Boxing real gone troo oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
it have some real good upcomin fights,oscar vs floyd 2,hopkins v calzage and i hear morales comin out retirement.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
Jones Jr. gets unanimous decision vs. TrinidadAssociated Press
Updated: January 20, 2008, 2:37 AM EST 106 comments RSS digg blog email print Roy Jones Jr. defiantly wore a gilded crown into a ring surrounded by hostile fans of a Puerto Rican hero. He then taunted Felix Trinidad, waggling his chin and shaking his rump, before rudely flooring Tito twice.

Some old guys just never learn how to behave - yet the 39-year-old Jones showed he can still get down to business, pounding another iconic boxer whose prime is well past.

Last 5 fights 

Roy Jones Jr., 39, won a unanimous decision vs. Felix Trinidad at Madison Square Garden. Here are his last 5 fights:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opponent Result
Felix Trinidad Won by decision
Anthony Hanshaw Won by decision
Prince Badi Ajamu Won by decision
Antonio Tarver Lost by decision
Glen Johnson Lost via KO

Jones pranced and punched his way to a unanimous victory over Trinidad on Saturday night, dominating their 170-pound bout. From the opening minutes to the increasingly lopsided final rounds, Jones simply was too fast, even in a fight that was several years too late.

Jones and the 35-year-old Trinidad might have put on the year's best fight - if the year was still 2001, back when both were kings of the sport.

"I can't believe you stayed in there 12 rounds with me," Jones said to Trinidad after the fight. "People thought we were old."

Actually, they still do. The 1990s' most dominant boxer has reflexes that are fading, but not totally faded - and more than enough to beat another declining dynamo.

Jones (52-4, 38 KOs), the erstwhile pound-for-pound king who had lost three of his past five fights, was content mostly to clown away the early rounds of his first significant victory in four years. When he finally went to work, he knocked down Trinidad in the seventh and 10th, landing a power punch in nearly every exchange.

"He was slipping some really good punches," Jones said. "I was missing knocking him out by about an inch on some of those shots."

Trinidad (42-3) hadn't fought in 32 months since his second retirement. Tito still is his native island's most beloved athlete, judging by the frenetic support from the Madison Square Garden crowd, but the 35-year-old revealed the rust many expected in just his fifth fight in 6 1/2 years, his first since a decisive loss to Winky Wright.

Fighting 10 pounds over his heaviest previous weight, Trinidad couldn't match even Jones' diminished skills.

"I take nothing away from Roy, but if I could have avoided the knockdowns, I think I could have won the fight," said Trinidad, who hasn't decided whether he'll fight again. "Roy was very fast and strong. He threw great punches. I have no excuses. He demonstrated speed and took my body."

Judge Julie Lederman scored the bout 117-109 for Jones, while Nelson Vasquez and Tom Kaczmarek saw it 116-110. The Associated Press also called it for Jones, 118-108.

Jones connected on 172 of his 482 punches (36 percent), while Trinidad was 160-for-552 (29 percent). Jones had a big lead in power punches, landing 147 to Trinidad's 101 - including a commanding 97-52 edge for Jones in power connections over the final seven rounds.

Though Jones hardly earned a title shot with this win, he would love to fight Joe Calzaghe, the unbeaten 168-pound Welsh champion, assuming Calzaghe beats Hopkins in their expected meeting in April. Jones even said he would travel to Europe for the fight, something he's been reluctant to do throughout his career.

"I'd go to Wales tomorrow," Jones said

After Jones mostly played defense in the first 2 1/2 rounds, he repeatedly teased Trinidad late in the third, pounding his own stomach and sticking out his chin while doing a jig. Tito was more businesslike, but mostly ineffective against Jones' defense.

With chants of "Tito!" filling the Garden, Jones finally landed a few damaging punches in the sixth round. Jones then dropped Trinidad to his knees early in the seventh with an overhand right.

Jones soon had control of the fight, sitting back on defense and pounding Trinidad's head. He floored Trinidad again late in the 10th with a jab and a straight right hand, removing nearly all doubt in the outcome.

Fans were left to wonder what might have happened if these champions had been matched sooner. Though both won armloads of title belts and millions of fans during their primes, Jones and Trinidad were kept apart by obstacles ranging from mandatory title defenses to the jab of Bernard Hopkins, whose upset win over five-time champ Trinidad sank a potential matchup with Jones six years ago.

Both then plummeted from the sport's elite ranks in 2005 with embarrassing defeats and eroding skills. Trinidad retired for the second time, while Jones was reduced to fighting in Boise and Biloxi - but last year, Trinidad asked promoter Don King for a comeback fight against Jones, the eight-time champion who turned 39 on Wednesday.

Few would argue Jones hasn't been the same since he fell from his perch as boxing's pound-for-pound best with three consecutive losses from 2004-05, including knockouts by Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver.

Saturday's 170-pound catch weight presented potential problems for both fighters: The normally skinny Trinidad had never fought above 160, but Jones hadn't been as light as 171 since 1998. After winning a heavyweight title in 2003, Jones shed 18 pounds of muscle to make weight in his first fight against Tarver, and the ordeal contributed to his fall from pre-eminence.

Trinidad seemed joyous as he basked in the pre-fight cheers of his fans, but he also wasn't the same Tito who has enthralled Puerto Ricans and millions of New Yorkers since winning his first welterweight title in 1993. Thousands of those fans turned out at the Garden, yet exorbitant ticket prices kept many more away in a crowd of 12,162, well short of capacity.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:46 AM »
Saw the fight, it was too predictable. Tito had nothing for Jones. Oh but the fight with Golota was much better.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>