April 24, 2024, 01:16:04 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland vs Brimingham  (Read 32109 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland vs Brimingham
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
I find men was real breaksin from de question when i ask boy! Anyhow...he give me a valuable 5 points.....buh i hadda do some reshuffling wit my team AGAIN! Well done stern.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »
One for Berris!!!!!!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A giant step for Stern

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
Birmingham 2-2 Sunderland 

Chopra had one real chance and took it to score
Sunderland striker Stern John returned to haunt his former club by snatching a dramatic late equaliser at Birmingham.
The Black Cats had gone behind when Paul McShane diverted a Stephen Clemence header into his own net.

Sunderland were denied a penalty for an apparent push on David Connolly before Michael Chopra clinically finished.

But Garry O'Connor angled in a shot to put the Blues ahead again only for John to nod home after heading against the crossbar just minutes earlier.

Sunderland showed no early signs of complacency after their opening day win against Tottenham as they chased and harried Birmingham with feverish intensity.

606: DEBATE
another late goal out of nothing

gw

The home side did not shy away from the physical challenge and responded in kind as the game was played at a frenetic pace.

But the effort was not matched by quality as both the teams who were automatically promoted from the Championship last season cancelled each other out.

The deadlock was finally broken after 28 minutes when Sebastian Larsson flighted a free-kick into the Sunderland box and Clemence angled a header across the visitors' goal.

Black Cats defender McShane tried to move out of the way but could not help getting a crucial glancing touch off his chest as he diverted the ball past keeper Craig Gordon's dive and into his own net.

Sunderland tried in vain to respond and could have had a penalty when Connolly appeared to have been shoved by Clemence as the striker chased a high through ball on goal.

Birmingham almost added insult to injury as they almost extended their lead just before the break.

Clemence (left) and McSheffrey (right) show their jubilation at the opener against Sunderland

Johan Djourou made sapce for himself to get in a near post header only to mistime his effort and send it high and wide.

Sunderland played some neat football after the break as they searched for an opening.

And, to their credit, the visitors kept plugging away and were rewarded when Ridgewell missed an attempted headed clearance and Chopra stole in to finish with aplomb.

In an all-action finish to the match, substitute O'Connor cut inside before powering the home side ahead again after 82 minutes.

Sunderland refused to lay down and Carlos Edwards produced a piercing run and crossed for John, whose six-yard header struck the woodwork.

Nyron Nosworthy had a chance to net a late equaliser only to nod a far post effort just wide.

John made no mistake when given a second chance when he pounced on a loose ball after keeper Colin Doyle did well to save a deflected Ross Wallace free-kick.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »
KEANE'S FAITH IN LIKELY LAD JOHN !!!!!!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/sunderland/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/08/15/SOCCER_Birmingham_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=sunderland&DIV=prem&TEAM=SUNDERLAND&RH=Sunderland&PREV_SEASON=

Sunderland boss Roy Keane was convinced all along that Stern John would become his latest last-minute saviour at St Andrews.

So it proved, as the visitors snatched a dramatic Premier League point off Birmingham.

Former Blues favourite John was given an ovation by the home fans when he appeared as a 60th-minute substitute; then he scored the 90th-minute leveller in a 2-2 draw, which followed Sunderland's last-gasp 1-0 win against Tottenham on Saturday.

Keane said: "I knew he'd score, because in the corridor here I saw a picture of him scoring as a Birmingham player. A lot of players go back to their old club and have a tendency to score.

"It usually happens, so I was confident he would score. I keep saying it is not a coincidence to score so many late goals, because the desire and determination was there for all to see."

Keane looked to be heading for his first Premier League defeat when Blues substitute Garry O'Connor produced a sweet left-foot finish to give his side an 81st-minute lead.

Six minutes earlier Michael Chopra - who grabbed that late winner four days ago - had cancelled out Paul McShane's first-half own goal with a stunning strike.

Keane's men produced their great escape with only 10 men after Carlos Edwards limped off with a hamstring strain, and Keane admitted: "It was my mistake - I should have taken him off earlier.

"There weren't too many chances, and I think scrappy would describe the game. It was a mad 10 or 15 minutes - but other than that I thought it was relatively poor."

Blues boss Steve Bruce was left seething at the officials who he believed missed a blatant infringement which ought to have ruled out John's equaliser.

Bruce claimed Roy O'Donovan held down goalkeeper Colin Doyle when John bundled the ball home.

He said: "I was determined to go back in the Premier League and not bleat about referees or linesmen.

"But I've seen their centre-forward jumping on my goalkeeper and stopping him getting up. I think the referee should be seeing that, because everyone else is seeing that.

"After he makes the save, he's still lying in the back of the net. The referee and linesman have missed it - which has cost us dearly - and it's a shame, because he produced a fantastic save."

Bruce admitted that like Keane he had a feeling John would make an impression.

He said: "He was a great servant here and one of my all-time favourites I have managed here.

"When I saw him warming up and the reception the crowd gave him I feared he might have an impact. But before he got there, we believe there was definitely a foul.

"But I think after looking at the two games we are better equipped than we were the last time we were in the Premier League. I am really pleased with what I've seen."

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
Highlights please somebody.

Keane said: "I knew he'd score, because in the corridor here I saw a picture of him scoring as a Birmingham player.

Possibly in the playoffs a few years back?

Bruce admitted that like Keane he had a feeling John would make an impression.

He said: "He was a great servant here and one of my all-time favourites I have managed here.

Nice!! ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:27:57 PM by Peong »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
Better dey call sunderland procrastinators oui!!! Everyting las minute!! ;D
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »
ah now reach home.... ah weak...highlights highlights
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
john save he job yes, well done  :devil: true warriors  ;D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »
Yes well I tell you,I eh no big stern fan,but when he perform ah ha tuh call him out,well done stern,yuh ent no normal man,yuh have more balls than ah bowling alley ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2007, 05:28:40 PM »
hahah ma boy stern.... well done...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »
Great day in the EPL... Stern equalize in the dying mins...
Chelsea winning and ManU draw...
The only thing that coulda make this better was for Carlos or Yorkie to make it 3-2 and ManU losing.... :devil:

Anyway I taking it just so....Manu for champioship div next season  :rotfl:
  Manu first game..  Manutd vs Wrexham
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
Better dey call sunderland procrastinators oui!!! Everyting las minute!! ;D

Ah feel Marvin 90th oliver gettin de next Black  Cats call up.. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2007, 05:37:25 PM »
Stern to score off the bench today

GREAT CALL, SUPPORTER!!
Hart for president

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »
Nice goin Stern get well Carlos
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »
Stern to score off the bench today

GREAT CALL, SUPPORTER!!

Auto congratulation is a hell of a vice...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2007, 06:07:43 PM »
 :rotfl:  ah now realise is d man congratulating heself oui  :rotfl:
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
watch how stern goin an save sunderland ass tuhday...

GREAT CALL,MUKUMSPLAU!!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2007, 06:39:06 PM »
ok so de game about to start (delayed broadcast) on  setanta....ah cyah wait..hmmm Yorkie not even on the squad...

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »
well done stern, whe all de fight down men,

no worries it still early, plenty more to come,

STERN FOR MOST GOALS AT SUNDERLAND

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2007, 06:53:37 PM »
Well done Stern.  Keep it up. 

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:59 PM »
Birmingham City 2-2 Sunderland
/ RivalsDM
Posted: 3 hours ago

Stern John scored a last-minute leveller as Sunderland fought back to draw 2-2 at Birmingham in the battle of the promoted sides.
After getting their season off to a flyer with a last-gasp win over Tottenham on Saturday, Roy Keane's men refused to accept defeat after sub Garry O'Connor gave Birmingham an 82nd minute lead.

After heading against the crossbar a minute later, John - who left St Andrew's for the north-east last season - pounced to bundle home after Ross Wallace's 90th minute free-kick.

It was a dramatic ending to a low-key game which Blues looked like shading through a first-half own-goal from Paul McShane, until Michael Chopra's stunning 75th minute leveller.

Blues new boy O'Connor swept home a clinical left foot effort to seemingly end Keane's fine start as a Premier League boss - before John pounced to level.

Keane had made four changes after the opening day win with Chopra given his first start, and the new-look visitors started full of confidence.

Wallace was key to most of the Black Cats' early moves down the left and he created a second minute chance for Dickson Etuhu, who headed well wide.

Steve Bruce's men responded through Olivier Kapo, who got behind Halford before hitting a low deep cross which was well held by Craig Gordon in the visitors' goal.

But the longer the first half went on the more chances came at a premium, with neither Blues goalkeeper Colin Doyle nor £9million man Gordon having much work to do.

Sebastian Larsson got in a vital interception in front of goal in the 26th minute to block a dangerous cross from Sunderland captain Dean Whitehead - back in midfield - then Doyle palmed away the resulting corner.

McShane contributed to a brief spell of Sunderland pressure with an ambitious overhead kick in the box before playing an unfortunate part in the Blues' 28th-minute opener.

Larsson's free-kick was headed across goal by Stephen Kelly and the ball struck McShane on the chest, diverting it over the line past a helpless Gordon.

Briefly rattled, Sunderland almost presented the home side with another golden opportunity two minutes later when Nyron Nosworthy lost possession to Forssell on the edge of his own box.

At the other end, David Connolly's appeals for a penalty after falling under Kelly's challenge were waved away by referee Keith Stroud, bringing Keane out of the dugout to protest.

Edwards came close to firing a spectacular equaliser in the 42nd minute but he blazed his rising effort over the bar after finding space on the edge of the Blues box.

Larsson's delightful little lob into the box in the 55th minute set up a chance for the on-rushing Gary McSheffrey but the alert Gordon just beat him to clear.

Keane had seen enough and made a double substitution on the hour, with

John replacing Connolly and Liam Miller on for captain Whitehead.

Then after Edwards saw a deflected effort sail into Doyle's arms, Keane went for broke - replacing right-back Halford with another striker, former Cork man Roy O'Donovan.

The tactic appeared to have paid off handsomely in the 75th minute when Chopra latched onto an Etuhu ball and fired a stunning left-foot shot past Doyle from 18 yards.

Birmingham responded seven minutes later through substitute O'Connor, who was fed a delightful ball by Forssell on the left of the Sunderland box and finished clinically after wrong-footing McShane.

In a dramatic finale, there was still time for John to head against the crossbar from point-blank range after great work down the right by Carlos Edwards - who went off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem immediately afterwards.

Sunderland were down to 10 men for the last seven minutes - but they pressed and Wallace was awarded his final minute set-piece.

His deflected free-kick was brilliantly parried by Doyle but fell to Nosworthy, who headed back across the face of goal for John to head in and break home hearts.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »
Congrats to Stern
But how long before Disgruntled Trini points out that Stern cost the team 2 points by missing the point blank header against the crossbar?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:16:02 PM by arrow »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2007, 07:45:27 PM »
Congrats to Stern
But how long before Disgruntled Trini points out that Stern cost the team 2 points by missing the point blank header against the crossbar?

HIGHLIGHTS

http://media.putfile.com/BIRMINGHAM-2-SUNDERLAND-2
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »
thank yuh fuh the highlights.  big up to stern.  that run that carlos make in the end was pure class

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »
i n check d highlights yet but Bless

ah waiting whole night  4 them
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »
That Sunderland man real foul de keeper for Stern goal......

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:52 PM »
Congrats to Stern

Nah yuh wrong dey boss,that was a difficult position for any striker,what was amazing is he almost score it!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
good going stern john. just saw the news on skysports, thanx ff for the highlights

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
he was supposed to score that header that hit the post. no question. They was supposed to have three points. But he stuck to his task and save their blushes...

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern score the equalizer!!!!
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »
ay, Stern score the 2nd equalizer for Sunderland against he old club. A header from 6 inches out. I know he woulda score though, big up Stern!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>