April 28, 2024, 04:15:21 PM

Author Topic: Men who career take ah nosedive  (Read 17470 times)

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
Re: Men who career take ah nosedive
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
Ibrahimovic
Kewell
akinlabinho

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »
The entire Manu team this season.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
I think Sol Campbell and David James got recall to the England team.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
I think Sol Campbell and David James got recall to the England team.
Campbell & James earn England calls 
RivalsDM, Updated 1 hour ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

David James and Sol Campbell were recalled to England's squad Friday for next week's friendly against Germany at Wembley.

James, a 37-year-old goalkeeper who has played 34 games for England, last played for the national team as a substitute against Jamaica in June 2006. Campbell's previous and 69th match for England
was as a second-half substitute in England's 2-2 draw with Sweden at the 2006 World Cup.

"Sol is a player with vast experience at international level, who had a very strong season at Portsmouth last year," McClaren said of the 32-year-old center back. "I always maintained that I was not closing the door on Sol. I know he won't let England down and I am very pleased to welcome him back into the squad.

"David showed excellent and consistent form for Portsmouth last season, that is why he is back in the squad. His attitude and professionalism has been first class throughout this period. I also watched him in action this week against Manchester United. He is a top-class goalkeeper and deserves his recall."

Coach Steve McClaren has also named five regular starters - David Beckham, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Owen Hargreaves - even though none are fully fit ahead of Wednesday's game.

Beckham is yet to complete a full match for Los Angeles Galaxy, Owen has played only two practice games for Newcastle, and Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez wants Gerrard to rest his broken toe and miss the game against Germany.

Terry, the Chelsea center back who is also England captain, and Man United midfielder Hargreaves are yet to play a competitive game for Manchester United this season.

McClaren named a bigger than usual squad in case he loses more players to injury in this weekend's league matches. He has already lost Wayne Rooney due to a hairline fracture of his foot, while Gary Neville, Jonathan Woodgate, Wayne Bridge, Aaron Lennon, Ledley King and Michael Dawson have also been sidelined for several weeks.

Newcastle defender Stephen Taylor is called up for the first time. But there are no places for Blackburn winger David Bentley or Everton defender Joleon Lescott, who are in standout club form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham), David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Aston Villa).

Defenders: Micah Richards (Manchester City), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Sol Campbell (Portsmouth), Steven Taylor (Newcastle), Phil Neville (Everton), Nicky Shorey (Reading).

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

Midfielders: David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Kieron Dyer (West Ham), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United).

Strikers: Alan Smith (Newcastle), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Darren Bent (Tottenham), Andrew Johnson (Everton), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham).

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
Ah know de knives will come out for dis one, but it must be said....

Dwight Yorke

The owner of one of de fastest nose dives in footballing history. One year he is de top striker in de EPL, after being de most expensive striker in a transfer de year before dat (or was it two). Winner of de treble, and all kinda acolades.

The very next year riding pine. Two years after dat, not even playing in england no more, move to a green football league out in Austrailia.

I know there were several factors working all at once against we boy, and things happened dat way for reasons. But, at the end of the day, dat was a nose dive, caused by neither injury nor age. So it makes the list.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:24:35 PM by redtrinigirl »
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »
Ibrahimovic
Kewell

someone didn't watch Serie A last season  :shameonyou:

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »
Nicky Butt...

Mateja Kezman...

Kevin Hofland (he was supposed to be a real big time dutch defender where is he?)

Mikhael Forssel

Winston Bogarde

Stan Collymore

i hear kezman still playing good at fenerbahce.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »
Nobody eh call Schillaci yet?
one world cup and golden boot too.

but he did nose-dive after....

Yeah, he was a one-tournament wonder and then not much after that.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
Norman Whiteside.

N. Ireland and Man U.

Was the youngest ever at the WC , at 17 yrs old. (1982?)

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
Ibrahimovic
Kewell

someone didn't watch Serie A last season  :shameonyou:

Man clearly only watchin you tube clips and reading about football on this site.
Is clear to me men talkin real shyt.
Leonardo was old when he retired
redondo was injured
a man mention rivaldo, allyuh serious?
saviola still playin and his story is yet to be written
vieri was a beast for many years and multiple world cups
i doh even know who "lumberg" is but I can venture a guess and he played top level ball for years
a man mention dwight, how old is he again? and he played top ball for a decade
a man say beckham and a next man say ibrahimovic... men who are STILL KILLING IT RIGHT NOW
people start watching football and stop talking outta your asses

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
I don't understand this thread, is it a matter of a player playing top level ball expected to last 10 years and only made it to 5? All players will have peaks and valleys in their career. I just unsure as to the criteria cause some players mentioned had long and distinguished careers but nobody could never play at the highest level forever

agreed..that is why i left out fellas like Batistuta and Rivaldo etc..These men fall off in their 30s after sustaining the highest level for quite some time. I looking more at men who fall off just as it look like they were about to hit their peak. But there are plenty ways to interpret this and its interesting to see people's view about certain players. i feel there shouldn't be any criteria...or else there would be too little to discuss  ;)

Beckham

You have to be crazy!  Becham is 32 and is still playing for his country and does the samethings he has always done.

Take the level of play into consideration...from La Liga to MLS. That is a big nose-dive to me, despite how much he getting paid. I also think he was still at his peak in Madrid....and watch and see for how long the England Manager will call up a player from the MLS, Beckham or not

Ah know de knives will come out for dis one, but it must be said....

Dwight Yorke

The owner of one of de fastest nose dives in footballing history. One year he is de top striker in de EPL, after being de most expensive striker in a transfer de year before dat (or was it two). Winner of de treble, and all kinda acolades.

The very next year riding pine. Two years after dat, not even playing in england no more, move to a green football league out in Austrailia.

I know there were several factors working all at once against we boy, and things happened dat way for reasons. But, at the end of the day, dat was a nose dive, caused by neither injury nor age. So it makes the list.

Agreed, at the time it happened. Thankfully he very admirably redeemed himself both in Australia and now with Sunderland back in the EPL. That is two Championship titles in two years, in two different leagues...not many players could say that  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
Since we talking about diving...C. Ronaldo.  ;D
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 03:53:45 PM »

Daryn pardnah..if this is not a nosedive after coming off a brilliant WC1994..I doh know what is. He was only 25 when the decline started and 29 when he retired. And it was not due to injury. I even saw an interview with him on a FSC program where they discuss his abrupt and disppointing decline and retirement. he makes some comments about his career not going the way it should, but he has no regrets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomas_Brolin

Career Decline
In the autumn of 1994, Brolin suffered an ankle injury during a European Championship qualifying game in Stockholm. Although he recovered from the injury, he never seemed to regain his pre-injury level of fitness, and in November 1995 he moved to Leeds United for £4.5m. The move was not a success. Brolin arrived with an obvious weight problem, earning him the nickname "Tubby" Tomas and made only 19 Premiership appearances for Leeds, scoring 4 goals over the next two seasons. Brolin was loaned to FC Zurich in August 1996, then in January 1997 returned briefly on loan to Parma. In October 1997 after reportedly turning down an offer to join Brazilian side Portuguesa, his contract with Leeds was terminated by mutual agreement. Brolin returned to England in January 1998 for a half-year stay with Crystal Palace. Brolin was interpreter and assistant to Italian international Attilio Lombardo for a short spell. Crystal Palace were relegated from the Premiership in April 1998 and at the end of the season Brolin retired from football.

I guess I remembered the injury being a bigger deal than it actually was

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
Norman Whiteside.

N. Ireland and Man U.

Was the youngest ever at the WC , at 17 yrs old. (1982?)

VB

Nah VB Whiteside was ravaged by injuries.

Most of them men allyuh calling get old or was seriously injured.

Probably could call it a career nosedive but it is not like they suddenly stop performing.

Men like Speed, Sheringham and Shearer are the exception, yuh don't expect players at the same level in their mid to late thirties.

Players I would call would be more like Brolin and Lee Sharpe and I agree with Collymore.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 03:58:51 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 04:08:03 PM »
Hardest

Lol. However to take a nose dive you had to be at a high level.
LMAO

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
Harry Kewell and Lee Bowyer were in ripping form the year Leeds mash-up, but since then...nuttin.

Robbie Fowler because he was still young and never recover from being pushed aside when Michael Owen burst on the scene as Liverpool and England #1.

Rai from Brazil...#10 who lead Sao Paulo to glory then couldn get off the bench at the 94 World Cup (first Brazil #10 to ride pine)

Vieri because he went from being the second best striker in the world after Ronaldo, to a throw away champion virtually overnight. Same with Kluivert.

Schilacci was a one hit wonder so he eh really fall,cause he was nuttin before after that World Cup.

Gianluigi Lentini...the first man to cost more than 10million dollars (or was it pound sterling?) when he join Milan for 13mill whatever...and was always a piece of crap that most men here probably doh even know who I talking about.

Petit, Overmars, Pires, Ljunberg and virtually every player that Arsene Wenger sell once they turn 30(except Viera)...their careers just went into a nosedive.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
Two wingers who set the world alight for Ajax then fade into de sunset...

Tijani Babangida and Finidi George.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:02 PM »
Since we talking about diving...C. Ronaldo.  ;D
:devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
Harry Kewell and Lee Bowyer were in ripping form the year Leeds mash-up, but since then...nuttin.

Robbie Fowler because he was still young and never recover from being pushed aside when Michael Owen burst on the scene as Liverpool and England #1.

Rai from Brazil...#10 who lead Sao Paulo to glory then couldn get off the bench at the 94 World Cup (first Brazil #10 to ride pine)

Vieri because he went from being the second best striker in the world after Ronaldo, to a throw away champion virtually overnight. Same with Kluivert.

Schilacci was a one hit wonder so he eh really fall,cause he was nuttin before after that World Cup.

Gianluigi Lentini...the first man to cost more than 10million dollars (or was it pound sterling?) when he join Milan for 13mill whatever...and was always a piece of crap that most men here probably doh even know who I talking about.

Petit, Overmars, Pires, Ljunberg and virtually every player that Arsene Wenger sell once they turn 30(except Viera)...their careers just went into a nosedive.

I disagree on most of those, but especially these 3

Rai had a great club career after the WC. Didn't fall off. Played 3 years after that t PSG where he is considered a legend. Then returned to Sao Paulo and is considered perhaps their greatest player of all time. he never really shone at international level. everyone hoped he would due to his club form

Schillaci was purchased by Juve from little MEssina cuz he was considered a goal scoring phenomenon. THe 1989-1990 season before the WC he had a great season and thus was selected for the Wc. So yeah..he fall off imo..cuz the WC bolstered a rep that was already growing..

Pires playing some serious ball for Villareal. He only just leave Arsenal this pst season and missed the first half with an injury and get on after he recover, so I not sure what yuh talking about.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:22:45 PM by Filho »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 06:22:35 PM »
redondo (arg) and leonado (bra)

not really a nosedive. injury pretty much abruptly killed his career

not sure I understand the difference.

see Omar's post above yours. i think it's clear he's not talking about players whose careers were ended by injury like Redondo or Van Basten, or players whose age just caught up with them  -  but players who inexplicably just went from match winner to ordinary in what feels like a short period of time....they just seemed to lose form for no discernable reason (of course there is always a reason..we just don't know it) and never quite regain it. but like I said..I have no bones with people posting what they want. boss might have his reasons that noone ever realized or thought of. maybe he thinks redondo fell off well before his injury...everyone has a different point of view and people will interpret what is  a 'nosedive' differently

Yuh right about dat.  I wouldn't put a man's derailment of his career due to injury in the same category as a nosedive due to a precipitous drop in form....but dize jes' lil old me.  I wouldn't even hold it against a man if he's injury-prone because at the end of the day, a man could only work with the body and type of body that God give him, plus, men does get injured from all kinds of abuse on a football field, too, neither of which may have had anything to do with how talented and brilliant a man was on that field.  All that being said, I really wouldn't call Leonardo's fade into the Milan sunset a nosedive, either.  But, again, dize jes' me.........Denilson on the other hand, and Toto Schilaccci?!?........nosedive like a kamikaze pilot.  I see Omarldinho put down Finidi George and Babangida.........ah have to say yuh bring back some memories dey boy, dat ajax side in de 90's was NICE!!   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:24:56 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 06:25:41 PM »
sunday olisi and kanu
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 07:42:20 PM »
Kluivert, Bhoularouz, Landzaat & Bogarde (Holland)
Collymore, Lee Sharpe, Barmby & McManaman (England)
Adriano & Kleberson (Brazil)
Coco & Montella (Italy)
Salas & Rozenthal (Chile)
Diouf & Salif Diao (Senegal)
Gravesen & Rommedhal (Denmark)
Tristan & Luque (Spain)
Mathis & Armas (USA)
Rebrov
Ian Harte
Danny Mills
Trabelsi
Vassell
Oliver Bernard
Boumsong
Quinton Fortune
Borgetti

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 07:54:17 PM »
De Soca Warriors (due to Jackula)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »
Paul Gascoigne due to arseness. More gifted than lampard, gerrard and cole put all together.

I go add Edmundo to that list also.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »
some of d names callin eh makin sense...

Salas had a good career overall
danny mills is shit...

trabelsi only had one bad yr..last season..go see next season
adriano cah make that list yet
bhoularhouz neither...one off yr....
bogarde was never good
gravesen and rommedahl playin for celtic and ajax now
diouf doin good at bolton..well ok..he never was a BIG player..he good

diao was ok...

luque made the biggest mistake goin england
oliver bernard wasnt anything big...

mathis is a ass
ljunberg???? how he gettin call there???... vieria??? pires?!?! all ya mad!

and well a man call ibrahimovic...steups..all ya not serious???

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Not everybody does drink pacro water and play like Dwight till nearly 40 or pull a Roger Milla.
Wit dat in mind, men like Davor Suker & Leonardo  should not be on that list.
To add to de local list - Irasto Knights
Diouf does jes play de ass.  Mental problem dat boy...he is de modern day Asprilla.
Sol Campbell take a real dip wit he under age fantasies...nutten ah good bull pistle cyah solve.
Question for de Massive: Dog on dis list???

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007, 06:10:29 AM »
do you remember GEOVANI ELBER
                          JARDEL
Locally                  KERRY NORRAY
                           BRENT RAHIM

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2007, 07:19:27 AM »
do you remember GEOVANI ELBER

Elber had some serious injury problems in his last season with Lyon if mih memory serves me correctly

Edmundo on the other hand, I get the impression he never recover from getting bench all of WC 98. NEver like him anyway, was one snake for a Brazilian striker and had some serious attitude problems to boot.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007, 07:23:45 AM »
Question for de Massive: Dog on dis list???

Well true going from Rangers and Champion's League, and World Cup to the Scottish third divison in the space of several months is a big drop, but I suspect that it will all depend on the blacklist. If Dog could make another world cup campaign, ah sure he could make one last season playing ball at the highest level.

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>