April 25, 2024, 10:01:56 PM

Author Topic: T&T TV Icon passes away  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
T&T TV Icon passes away
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:54:42 AM »
RIP Uncle Ian..thanks for taking the time to teach us  :'(
I will never forget Rikki Tikki

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161191360

Local television has lost another of its pioneers with the passing of Ian Ali, better known as "Uncle Ian".

Ali will be best remembered among those who were children in the 1980s, during which, as "Uncle Ian", he hosted one of local TV's most popular programmes, Rikki Tikki.

The 70-year-old media personality died of heart attack-related problems at about 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Ali had an unrelated medical procedure at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Centre at Mt Hope on Wednesday.

He complained of chest pains and was transferred to the Westshore Medical Facility, where he had a pacemaker inserted on Thursday. He died later that evening.

Rikki Tikki was one of the first local shows for children.

As Uncle Ian, Ali's warm, buoyant personality was not the only thing that had captured thousands of local children-he also accompanied his many stories and discussions with one-the-spot illustrations.

As a teacher and artist, Ali's 40-year career, however, spanned several disciplines.

In 1962 he won a government scholarship to study art in the United Kingdom, where he studied at Bath Academy of Art, Sir John Cass School of Art and Hammersmith College of Art and Building.

He was proficient in painting, sculpture, design, fabric work, jewelry, pottery, commercial art and illustrating.

He was also a lecturer at the Government Training College for teachers and the University of the West Indies Summer Schools.

He served at the Ministry of Culture and as a teacher at the Point Fortin Secondary and St Augustine Senior Comprehensive Schools.

Ali also ran the Art Television Series.

For decades he was active in the Scouting fraternity and served as their National Commissioner for Communications.

He was one of the original judges for the Prime Minister's Best Village Competition, where he continued to judge for several years.

His impact remains in the art arena, in education, in the development of Carnival designs and studies and in the pioneering of art training on television.

Ali's love for his country was also clear in his work.

His 1970s television series Looking Around was among the first to bring to the nation images of such wonders as the leatherback turtle, the scarlet ibis and local historical architecture.

He would end each show with an enthusiastic "looking around".

Left to cherish the memory of Ian Ali are his wife of 47 years, Carolyn, daughter Jo-Ann and son-in-law Hakeeb, daughter Tammy, son-in-law David and grandson Liam, daughter Patti, daughter Judi-Anne and son-in-law Michael, as well his brothers and sisters and relatives in Trinidad and Tobago and abroad.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T TV Icon passes away
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »
Sad news... :'(....may he rest in peace.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
Mr Ali as ah know him was meh art teacher in Creative Arts Center back in Uni.
Personally all i will say is "he was something else."

RIP Sir
To Judy Ann and dey family my condolences...

anybody knows if the family still lives on the eastern main road in st joseph still ?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
RIP Uncle Ian....allyuh remember shouting "hello" back in the days?

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
I will always remember his stories and the accompanying sketches on the black board.

An intersting article published a while back

http://www.guardian.co.tt/archives/2005-01-14/pulse.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:28:30 PM by trinindian »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »
i was no big fan ah rikki tikki but the lil bit i see,ian was ah cool cat.RIP uncle.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »
oh gawd!! Uncle Ian dead!! RIP
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »
I have to say Ian Ali's Rikki Tikki inspired my own desires to be an artist and graphic designer. I remember how he used to do the folklore characters and Annansi the spider

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
whaaay...Ian Ali was SEVENTY??

RIP boss
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>