March 28, 2024, 05:15:34 PM

Author Topic: Ghana coach: T&T made us work hard.  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ghana coach: T&T made us work hard.
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »
T&T U-17s concede heavy against Colombia.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

“Five star Colombia stroll past Trinidad.” That was the headline on FIFA’s official website after this country’s second match at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship and believe it  or not, it was a fitting way to sum up the events of Thursday’s second game in Cheonan.
Unlike Monday’s opening game, despite even losing 4-1 to Ghana, there was a show of grit from the T&T boys, but today it was not there as the young Soca Warriors’ after conceding in the 20th minute and holding the Colombians to one goal  at half time, thanks to some fine goalkeeping by Glenroy Samuel, T&T let up four goals inside twelve minutes to be 5-0 down in the 72nd minute.
T&T started on par with their South American opponents but a lapse in concentration and subsequently in belief left them collecting a handful without scoring any after 90 minutes.
Andres Felipe Mosquera climbed above the T&T defense to head home in the 20th minute and Samuel after stopping a couple chances in the opening 10 minutes, had to stand tall as the match progressed to prevent T&T conceding further. On one occasion, when he was beaten, defender Daneil Cyrus had to clear off the line. The Tobago boy was the only other T&T player worthy of a pass mark from this game.
T&T at one time forced three corners in the 12th minute as Akeem Adams also had an effort going wide. Samuel had to step up to save a couple more times, one in particular a one hand stop to deny Christian Nazarith in the 20th minute. So good was Samuel, that on one occasion when he went down after a rash challenge, the fans, applauded when he was back on his feet. There were 13,537 of them in the venue, a couple thousand more than Monday;s game.
Stephen Knox had T&T’s best attempt when his effort was deflected inches wide early  in the second half. But Santiago Trellez then made it 2-0 on the hour mark and Mosquera added a third item three minutes later to put the game out of T&T’s reach. On 68 minutes Edgar Pardo got the fourth and Ricardo Serna completed the onslaught in the 72nd minute to leave T&T shattered in a flash.
Coach Corneal, after seeing his team hang in there for some parts of the first half and containing the Colombians to one goal, would have felt his team had a glimmer of home in the second 45.He tried Kevin Molino up front in the second half and also had Sean De Silva and defender Sheldon Bateau on but nothing went right for T&T. Stephan Campbell, T&T’s scorer against Ghana, got the start this time but he too was off his game.
The Colombians were simply quicker, physically stronger and more eager to get the job done. They will have all reason to be confident against Ghana on Sunday as the Africans lost 3-2 to Germany in the first game and will the Germans will no doubt also be a tough hurdle for the T&T boys on Sunday.
Coach Corneal said that inspite of the heavy loss, the team would really lose big if it failed to learn from the experience thus far.
“We played a better team. We cannot pinpoint one area where they were not better at. They were much stronger physically. They were powerful in the air and we were really bullied this time,” Corneal admitted to TTFF Media. “We have a lot of questions to answer and we will have to reflect and do what is necessary to compete with teams like Colombia rather than just seeking excuses. Colombia came at us and even though we were pretty fit compared to other teams from our region, there was only so far we could reach and we played a team that was more ready for a World Cup game. We hung our heads too after the first goal and then the second one. It takes a lot more to close the gap and we need to take that lesson with us from here,” he continued.
The team travels by bus to Changwon for its next game and will play for esteem and respect on Sunday as even a best third place finish seems way beyond its reach and with that any chances of advancing to the second round.

TRI-COL: post-match quotes.

Eduardo Lara (COL), Colombia coach[/b]

"This was an important win for us in what is a tough group. We're now within reach of the last 16 and it's in our hands as far as the last match is concerned. I'm very happy with the result. We have got a strong team with a lot of good players, and I include the substitutes in that. I'm glad that two of them scored today. Ghana are a very good team, and I'll be watching videos of their matches again and preparing my team based on what I see."

Anton Corneal (TRI), Trinidad and Tobago coach

"We're obviously very disappointed, but we have to look at things realistically and accept that we aren't at the same level. This tournament is a real chance for our young players to gain some invaluable experience at the highest level and learn things for the future. You have to believe in miracles and we are going to prepare intensively for the match against Germany. We've lost twice so it's going to be tough for us to qualify, but we're going to do all we can to finish off this World Cup on a positive note."

Andres Felipe Mosquera (COL) Colombia defender

"I thank the Lord that we won today and that I was able to score two goals. It's obviously a little sad that I'm suspended for the next match against Ghana, but our team will give their all regardless. Ghana are tough opponents, and both teams need the points. There's everything to play for in this match, and I hope that we will get what we need."

Glenroy Samuel (TRI) Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper

"I'm very disappointed. We wanted to win this match and represent our country to the best of our abilities. Now all we can do is hope for a miracle. We can beat Germany, though. I'm satisfied with the way I personally played today, but unfortunately that wasn't enough. In any case, it's all good experience for us here at this tournament."

Final Score:

T&T 0 v Colombia 5 (Andres Mosquera 22, 63, Santiago Trellez 60, Edgar Pardo 68, Ricardo Serna 72)

Line-Ups:

Trinidad & Tobago: - 21.Glenroy Samuel, 5.Akeem Adams (4.Sheldon Bateau 70th), 17.Daneil Cyrus, 12.Robert Primus, 9.Aaron Maund (8.Sean De Silva 75th), 6.Leston Paul (capt), 15.Chike Sullivan, 13.Stephan Campbell, 14.Jean Luc Rochford, 10.Stephen Knox, 11.Daniel Joseph (19.Kevin Molino 55th).

Colombia: - 1.Mauricio Acosta, 2.Ricardo Chara, 3.Eduar Zea, 5.Sebastian Viafara, 6.Julian Guillermo, 7.Cristian Nazarith (20.Edgar Pardo 65th), 17.Andres Felipe Mosquera (capt), 9.Santiago Trellez (18.Jose Ramirez 78th), 14.Junior Romero, 10.James Rodriguez (15.Ricardo Serna 57th), 16.Miguel Julio.

Trinidad & Tobago (TRI) v Colombia (COL)

9 Shots 26
1 Shots on goal 14
0 Goals 5
17 Fouls Committed 19
19 Fouls Suffered 17
6 Corner kicks 7
2 Free kicks 0
0 / 0 Penalty Kicks (Goals/Shots) 0 / 0
1 Offsides 6
0 Own goals 0
1 Yellow cards 2
0 Red Cards 0
20 Actual playing time 23
46% Possession (%) 54%

Yellow Cards: - Daneil Cyrus (TRI), Andres Felipe Mosquera (COL), Eduar Zea (COL).
Corneal could change line up for Colombia clash.
[/size]

National Under 17 team head coach Anton Corneal says he could possibly change around his starting eleven for Thursday’s vital Group F encounter against Colombia as FIFA Under 17 World Championship action continues at the Cheonan Sports Complex.
Corneal, after allowing his players some spending time, just under two hours in the morning period with their family members who made the journey over from Trinidad, conducted a 75-minute training session later that day in cool conditions and said he expected his team to make a stiff contest out of the encounter with the South Americans.
With Stefan Campbell’s second half free kick strike opening T&T’s account at the tournament, strike pair Stephen Knox and Daniel Joseph have given all indications that they will be seeking hard to add their names to a FIFA scoresheet and will need to be on top of their game if T&T is to push for a positive result. They looked sharp with their fellow teammates as Corneal, Wim Rijsbergen and Hutson Charles observed as the players worked on their finishing. Ross Russell was also taking nothing for granted with goalie Glenroy Samuel.

Corneal has also done his homework on Colombia.

“We saw Colombia play both in Peru and here at the first game which means we have done our home work. We will pay attention to their big target players up front and of course they overload their midfield but we have prepared for it and hopefully we can shut their short passing game down and also go up and down the sides of the park. We need to pay attention to that and play to our plan at the same time,” Corneal told TTFF Media.
“They have players who run off their big striker and we have to deal with that. We may change our starting team and we have gotten over the Ghana game which was not an easy one to play. Ghana were experienced and quite quick, probably the toughest team in the group. Now we can look ahead to our next two games which starts against Colombia where I feel we can definitely settle and play from early on,” he added. “This game is not beyond us by any means.”
Colombian head coach Eduardo Lara added on the eve of the match, “ They (T&T) are a strong opponent. This World Cup is on a very high level." And their assistant coach Ramiro Virafana told TTFF Media that after drawing 3-3 with Germany on Monday, his team sees the affair as a must-win one and they will not take the Caribbean team lightly.
“This is very important one for us because a loss can put us out. For us we don’t see Trinidad as the easiest team in the group. They have some strong players and the number 10 and number 11 players are very fast. I don’t know what our chances are at the moment,” Virafana said in a somewhat unsure manner. “We want to win yes but we will see how it ends up.
And with Colombia taking note of his danger as a speedy attacker, striker Joseph knows all too well that his game will have to be almost flawless from the 8pm (7am T&T time) kick off.
“I just want us to start well and of course my game and Knoxy’s (Stephen Knox) will have to be good because we need to get goals. Hopefully we can all pull off a good one and get three points. A win will be nice,” Joseph said.
And while Honduras went down to Argentina 4-1, T&T took note of the dancing Haitians as they held the mighty France 1-1 in the “family affair” of the tournament so far. Colombia though, could be well advised not to expect too many friendly motions at match time. And parent Chris De Silva, father of midfielder Sean De Silva, with a squint and a smile said that only family spirits are allowed in the T&T camp at least until the final whistle.
“It’s absolutely thrilling for all of us to be over here and be with the boys for the tournament. To experience this is massive for all of us. This is Trinidad and Tobago representing on the world stage and win, lose or draw we are here to support with the red, white and black. We want to win of course and Colombia needs to know that and experience what we have to offer.”
News from the 22nd of August 2007

Ghana coach: T&T made us work hard.

Ghana’s head coach Sellas Tetteh has given some words of encouragement to the Trinidad and Tobago camp after he observed the team’s composition and play in Monday’s 4-1 victory for the African two time champions.
Tetteh, speaking during an interview on the morning after the game said his team were forced to be patient against the young Soca Warriors” even after going a goal up after 12 minutes as they realized the T&T outfit was actually giving them a good challenge in the second game of the double header in Cheonan. He complimented T&T for making the game more of a challenging one in the second half.
T&T head coach Anton Corneal would not have been entirely surprised at Tetteh’s comments but will want to prove him right and do Colombia wrong on Thursday when the two teams meet at 7am T&T Time.
On Tuesday Corneal had a one hour recovery session in the morning period and will have one more session on Wednesday evening at the IT Training facility. The parents of the boys who made their presence felt with some Trini style chanting in Monday’s game, will be allowed some time with their young ones at the Onyang Hotel on Wednesday morning as coach Corneal, while ensuring there’s no negative effect on the team’s physical preparation, will allow the players some time to relax their minds with the parents who are staying Seoul for the opening round.
There are no injury worries in the camp at this time with only the odd sore muscle or knock being treated by doctor Mario John who also accompanied four T&T players to the hospital today to undergo MRI wrist scans which FIFA is using as a pilot project study to determine the actual ages in players from the 32 nations competing at the World Championship. The process is part of a medical study which can determine how FIFA treats with the age verification of players for future youth World Cups.
The big news in the tournament here today was the second straight defeat for the hosts South Korea as they went down to Concacaf representatives Costa Rica 2-0, the result virtually puts Korea out of the tournament as they have one more game against Togo on Friday.
Ghana’s head coach Tetteh though is already looking forward to topping Group F.
“It was a good result for us to start. I did not expect it to come easier, especially in the first half and I also wasn’t surprise of the challenge from Trinidad especially in the second half,” Tetteh told TTFF Media. “They raised their game after half time.
“I see them as a competing team and I saw in the second half they raised their game and give us a fight. In football sometimes one good performance shows your quality and one bad performance doesn’t mean you are out. Their game in the second half shows clearly that they were not down with the performance in the first half. I think they can do well because their passing and shooting abilities were good and that’s football for you.”
“They made us work hard but we also had glaring chances and we were patient until they came.”
As to his recommendations for T&T, Tetteh added that encouragement was necessary to boost the young T&T outfit.
“First of all you have to encourage the boys. They played a bigger and stronger team with a very good record at this level. We cherish the Under 17 competition that we have done well here. It’s part of development and they should be encouraged to keep on pushing hard.”
“We have to raise our standard now and I am confident but still cautious for the remainder of the tournament. This is a good win for us to start the tournament. When Bossman came in, the team was already there. I changed the structure when I took over to give it a different tactical direction. I realized by attacking was the strong point so we had to work more on our midfield and defensive game. He had to be patient and I am happy that he announced his presence yesterday with the goal,” Tetteh said, adding that English-based striker Kelvin Bossman (Reading FC) had to earn his starting team spot but took his first goal well off the bench versus T&T.
Captain of the T&T team Leston Paul admitted his team would have to lift its game if was to stand any chances of putting it’s first point on the board.
“It was disappointing obviously because no one likes to lose even if it’s against a team as strong as Ghana. It was a helpful and learning experience for us and I’m sure all the players came out of the match knowing what it’s like now to play such a high pace and important game. This was our first game at this level and we now have to work harder and try to raise our standard. I think we are ready to do that and hopefully come away with a better result against Colombia on Thursday,” Paul told TTFF Media.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:07:27 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Ghana coach: T&T made us work hard.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »
We BUSSIN COLOMBIA THROAT
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:28:19 PM »
Thanks coach Columbia we comin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:17:10 AM »
that's just talk

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:50 AM »
Aree with trinisolutions.

Very very soon, we hadda start achieveing more than being known for putting up a good fight and being competitive in these world tourneys

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »
We beating dem 3-1. Mark my words
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »
Very very soon, we hadda start achieveing more than being known for putting up a good fight and being competitive in these world tourneys

it took south korea 6 world cups to finally win a match

hold it down
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>