April 28, 2024, 01:32:34 PM

Author Topic: Stern John Vows to deliver against Guatemala.  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern John Vows to deliver against Guatemala.
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »
Stern John Vows to deliver against Guatemala.
By: Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Press Officer in Ft Lauderdale.
[/size]

Striker Stern John has made a promise to step up his game for Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 World Cup qualifying series with a top notch performance in Saturday’s match against Guatemala at the Mateo Flores Stadium.
The Coventry City forward made the commitment to bounce back from what he described as a shallow performance in T&T’s last qualifying match against the United States a little less than two months ago and is vowing to deliver the goods in the crucial away match.
The last time John came up big for the country was in the semi-final round away match to St Kitts/Nevis when his last minute winner did the trick but since then he has not responded to the call for goals.
“To be fair I haven’t done anything as such in the qualifying series and I think you always need special performances when the big games come around and this one in Guatemala is definitely a major one for us, “ John told TTFF Media prior to the team’s departure from Miami on Thursday.
“If you want to be known as a big player and your name is well respected like back home and so on, then you need to live up to that name and I think the only way is to let the goals do the rest. Maybe it’s pressure I’m putting on myself but I certainly want to be able to look back say yes I have made a contribution on the road to Germany,” the former Columbus Crew star added. "The rest of the guys have looked pretty good and everyone seems up for this game and I think once we can all chip in with decent performance, I see no reason why we cannot pull off a result on Saturday."
Along with his teammates, John relaxed for most of Wednesday following the training match with Atlanta Silverbacks and is now expecting the charges will be ready for the vital match.
Some of the players were treated to local dishes at Kidd’s Island Bakery and Breakfast Shed in Miramar owned by Trinidadian Sheldon Thomas and Dwight Yorke even got a chance to take time out on the Sunrise Hilton golf course. Other Trinidadians also stopped by the Hotel to wish the team well as well as to get signatures and photos taken with their “Warriors”.
The Warriors train for two hours on Thursday morning at the Sunrise Hilton training pitch prior to the afternoon flight to Guatemala.
The team was expected to arrive in Guatemala City around 7pm with no injuries to report. Dallas FC striker Cornell Glen is definitely out having not yet fully recovered from an ankle blow while striker Scott Sealy may not join the squad for Saturday but, according to team official Richard Braithwaite, he is expected to return for the March 30 qualifier against Costa Rica at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. St Clair is carded to have one evening session on Friday.
“We must get in there and settle down because being away from home, we must be prepared for anything and therefore it is important that we remain focused on the task ahead of us,” said St Clair.

The 18 players off to Guatemala include:

Shaka Hislop, Clayton Ince, Dennis Lawrence, Nigel Henry, Atiba Charles, Keyeno Thomas, Anton Pierre, Marlon Rojas, Brent Sancho, Silvio Spann,  Kenwyne Jones, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Angus Eve (capt), Carlos Edwards, Dwight Yorke, Nigel Pierre, Hector Sam, Stern John.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 04:25:32 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John Vows to deliver against Guatemala.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:34:34 PM »
 :'(   no glen.... no sealey
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:36:50 PM »
I would give Nigel Pierre a run upfront with Stern. He has scored regularly in every other competition but hasn't been given a fair chance in the WCQ campaign so far.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »
I would give Nigel Pierre a run upfront with Stern. He has scored regularly in every other competition but hasn't been given a fair chance in the WCQ campaign so far.

We should not play 2 forwards especially 2 forwards with the same style. Our defence is weaker without Andrews and Yorke and Eve are better offensively, so we midfield might not be able to help our defenders, we are also playing away, so a 4-5-1 formation to start off with might be the best bet.

Glen and Sealy is a BIG BIG loss, two running forwards and great super subs...

My team, 4-5-1:

_________________________Hislop______________________
___Jones_________Anton_________Lawrence_________Sancho
_____Edwards____Yorke____Spann____Fitzpatrick_____Rojas
_________________________John_________________

Anton and Lawrence good in central defence, even though I feel we need some speed in defence and Charles might do better than Lawrence, but ah trying to pick a team according to BSC.

Jones could hold down de right back.

Sancho decent on de left.

Edwards is best on the right wing. We cant play him right back.

Yorke and Spann will compliment each other in central midfield.

Fitzpatrick could add some steel in midfield allowing Rojas to free up the flank and also falling back to help in defence. Both of them...

Eve for Yorke (depends on how he playing) if not then Eve for Rojas, sending Tiger on the left wing and Eve coming more forward to help Stern or central in mid, but Eve is a must, he is a boss super sub.

Nakhid for Spann, to add some spark in attack, he can help, trust me.

Sam for Edwards, moving Eve on the right wing and Sam helping up front.

If we score first, we must keep posceision and then lock up de defence in de second half, bring on Chalres, Thomas and Henry for Yorke, Spann and Edwards.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 04:02:09 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 04:05:41 PM »
You may want Jones to play right back but based on the side that played in the warm-up and the fact that he hasn't played anything but striker for months this is doubtful.  Also I don't see Spann starting this match, since he didn't start the friendly and only just rejoin the team.
Actually based on the Silverbacks squad, there may only be 2 changes to the starting team against USA.  Charles, Lawrence or Henry for Andrews and Eve for Rougier.  Other than that it will likely be the same squad:
---------------------Shaka--------------------
Pierre-----Sancho---Lawrence-----Rojas
Edwards-------Eve-----Yorke------Tiger
-------------Stern---------Jones-------------

Since we played shit for the first 60 mins in the last match it doesn't inspire too much confidence.  Same problem with 2 old men in the middle of the park although Eve did play much better than Rougier when he replaced him last match

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
I would play with two strikers since we lost our first match, we must play for a win. If we wait till we come home to play attacking football it will be too late, we might be out of the competition by then.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »
1 striker up front! We have to stop thinking so conservative, we have to come out and attack in numbers so I think  3-5-2 OR 4-3-1-2
Jones and Stern up front and then Nigel Pierre if one of them not producing.

We have to keep pressing the attack on Guatemala for 90 minutes.
They are the ones playing on their home ground so they are going to be expected to perform. The pressure is going to be on them and we have to use that to our advantage

This ting about players having the same style is rubbish, this team does not have any style at the moment, what we need is goals goals goals.

Put the players up front who can score!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:41:20 PM by grskywalker »

Offline Vic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 06:56:14 PM »
After observing several national training sessions in T&T as well as the sessions this week and the Silverbacks game, this is the lineup I would like to see...

Sancho-----Pierre---Henry-----Rojas

Based on the training sessions and the Silverbacks game...this is the lineup I suspect that Bertille will use...

Charles-----Pierre---Sancho-----Henry
Edwards-------Eve-----Yorke------Tiger/Rojas
-------------Stern---------Jones/Pierre-------------

Before people flip out....here are my obeservations.   :o

Henry is a central defender...best suited to play last behind Pierre (see my lineup) due to his speed and composure on the ball...However, Bertille played him at left back against Barbados and seems to be enamored with having him out left with Tiger/Rojas in front of him at left mid.

Sancho will likely start at sweeper with Pierre in front of him cleaning up.

Atiba Charles will likely get the start at right back.

If Kenwyne Jones is fit (took a knock in the game against Atlanta), he will start.  If not, Nigel Pierre will get the nod.

Spann subbing in for Eve.

Fitzpatrick/Rojas on the left wing.

Nakhid for Yorke in the last 15-20 mins....David can't be effective for much longer than 20 mins, but he can certainly help.

Sam subbing for Jones/Pierre.

If we score first, we must keep posceision and then lock up de defence in de second half, bring on Chalres, Thomas and Henry for Yorke, Spann and Edwards.

Let's see how it goes...

Offline Vic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 06:57:43 PM »
After observing several national training sessions in T&T as well as the sessions this week and the Silverbacks game, this is the lineup I would like to see...

Sancho-----Pierre---Henry-----Rojas

Based on the training sessions and the Silverbacks game...this is the lineup I suspect that Bertille will use...

Charles-----Pierre---Sancho-----Henry
Edwards-------Eve-----Yorke------Tiger/Rojas
-------------Stern---------Jones/Pierre-------------

Before people flip out....here are my obeservations.   

Henry is a central defender...best suited to play last behind Pierre (see my lineup) due to his speed and composure on the ball...However, Bertille played him at left back against Barbados and seems to be enamored with having him out left with Tiger/Rojas in front of him at left mid.

Sancho will likely start at sweeper with Pierre in front of him cleaning up.

Atiba Charles will likely get the start at right back.

If Kenwyne Jones is fit (took a knock in the game against Atlanta), he will start.  If not, Nigel Pierre will get the nod.

Spann subbing in for Eve.

Fitzpatrick/Rojas on the left wing.

Nakhid for Yorke in the last 15-20 mins....David can't be effective for much longer than 20 mins, but he can certainly help.

Sam subbing for Jones/Pierre.

Let's see how it goes...

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 07:46:07 PM »
I haven't seen Henry play in years so I can't say nothing.  But if you think he could force Rojas or Tiger to the bench he must be playing well.  I guess maybe Henry is better defensively than Rojas and we need to be rock solid in the back in this game.
But if Henry is playing left back I would prefer to see Rojas start on the left wing and Tiger move inside to the middle in place of Eve because I still think defensive mid would be Tiger's best position and that Eve has performed well coming off the bench.
Curious to see if Nakhid will dress for this game and who will get leave out from the final 18 to make room for him.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
My system (3-4-3)will be a:

Three man front: 

Four man midfielders:

Three man SLANT defense:
This will balance the attack with  seven attacking at any one time  fou spread out to cover the field on the wings and  in the middle and three mainstays atthe back but two midfielders could drop back  if the pressure is on.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 09:47:34 PM »
Why do you post the same things repeatedly in different threads?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 08:45:44 AM »
Why do you post the same things repeatedly in different threads?

He going for the posts record 8)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 08:48:47 AM »
I noticed that the discussion in most of the threads are very similar so the relevancy of the topic is posted  so that no one misses my point. Some people may choose not to open certain threads, this way my ideas are not lost.

regrets to you if you feel so compelled to read it all.

El Socorro

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 09:30:20 AM »
Yorke, Spann, and Eve in the Midfield. :dance:

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 12:50:16 PM »
For all of you folks that don't realize, no way can Angue and Yorke play in center midfield together.  They are both defensive liabilities.  Angus' best position is on the wing. 

If you going to play both Angus and Yorke in the center of the pitch, yuh must play a 3-4-2-1.... Basically everybody saying we need a full 3 points so play like to goin' to win.  Play with Stern up top by himself with 2 withdrawn forwards.  What the hell we think the US does play...Half the damn time we can really recognize that. 

Take it from me, I play against Bruce Arena teams in College all 4 years and he used that system religiously.

Later....

Arimian to meh heart

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »

We defense leaky.  They going to score at least one and maybe two since we on the road.

I think we hadda score at least 2 if we want points out of this so they have to be ready to attack and I rather they leading than chasing.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 05:48:07 PM »
Stern John and all his 'merry ' men from England  MUST DELIEVER  if we are to have a chance. This game like all these games are defining moments  for us if we are to move on.
FULL FORCE  ahead.

1]; } ?>