April 19, 2024, 08:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Would you let your foreign national children play for T&T?  (Read 9308 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Would you let your foreign national children play for T&T?
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
This is a hypothetical question for me, since i do not yet have children, but I know that some of you forumites are in this predicament:

If you were born in Trinidad, but migrated and had kids, whether in the US, Europe or elsewhere.....

Would you direct your son/daughter to play for T&T even if they had the opportunity to play for the national team in the country they were born?

I live in the US now and God willing I do have kids soon, hopefully 3 sons (a striker, defensive mid and a wicked left winger) I would find it an extremely difficult decision to have them play for T&T, the way our system is currently set-up under Jack Warner and the development of T&T football on the whole.

Do we have any right to bash players like Bobby Zamora, Quevas Kirk etc ???

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:17:00 PM by SOBRIQUET »
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Would you let your foreign national children play for T&T?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:56 PM »
Nice one Sobriquet, at the end of the day I think it's up to your youths, though as parents of course one has a strong influence in their lives.  For me personally my better half is much less into the game than I am, so if I had my way they would be wearing the red, white, and black, but then again w/my mouth and prior posts if JW still at the helm my young ones would probably be on the blacklist  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
In other News TI's Son makes Debut for Canada V Trinidad & Tobago.

**exits thread before cussout**

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:23:50 PM »
If my son (contingent on me having a son some day ;D) were a budding footballer with the ability to play at the highest level, and was "conflicted" between T&T and let's say the U.S, in my heart I'd want him to play for T&T, but chances are he'll choose to play for the country in which he was born & raised, where his peers/friends choose to play & where he is given the most interest & attention- very difficult to imagine that being T&T. End of day it would be his choice and not mine.....and if he ever scores against T&T I will kick his ass
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:33:53 PM »
of course he playing for T&T...

God is de BOSS....

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
Wha happen, Sobriquet, yuh couldn't make it 4 and produce a 'keeper, too?!?!   ;D
Luckily I don't have that problem since my son is not talented enough to represent either country........but if he were, he already wants a T&T passport, too, so his heart is already in the right place.  A decision like that would always be a tough one to make, but I would encourage my kids to decide on their own, but decide and stick with their decision.  Being born here will afford a child better facilities, training regimen and alot more structure to their development, and they won't have it taken away from them if they decide to rep another country.  Not where dual nationality is allowed.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
If my son (contingent on me having a son some day ;D) were a budding footballer with the ability to play at the highest level, and was "conflicted" between T&T and let's say the U.S, in my heart I'd want him to play for T&T, but chances are he'll choose to play for the country in which he was born & raised, where his peers/friends choose to play & where he is given the most interest & attention- very difficult to imagine that being T&T. End of day it would be his choice and not mine.....and if he ever scores against T&T I will kick his ass

If you send your boy to train with Latapy in Scotland or Portugal, it would be nice closure for your inner dilemma I think  ;)

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »
For me my choice would be T&T,but my son decides in the end who he plays for...........

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »
My parents are from St. Vincent, there was no way they could have convinced me of representing SVG if I was good enough. I wouldn't try to convince my son or daughter if they were in that position.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »
for me it's simple....if he born in USA...he have a first choice to choose his country of birth...with TnT being an option...on the other hand...if he born in TnT but grow up in the US, his first choice would be TnT.  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »
Why there go want to play for the US ,when all they always hearing about is Socawarriors lol. My son think I going playing for the warriors ,in the Canada sweat sunday .

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
my son (if he even chooses to play sports) technically could represent the US, Puerto rico and Trinidad...i don't know how he will make that choice if he ever has to.  i think as a parent though you have to let ur children make ur own choices sometimes...that's life.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
Once it have a new TTFF not a problem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
If i have  my way even if they were  born there  and grew up here i would not let them represent T&T especially if is soccer definitely not if this regime is still there .to the end of the day it is up to them .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 04:07:49 PM »
Hypothetical for me as well but it would be his choice.  If I had any say at all I'd influence him to represent fuh his heritage and don the Red, Black and White...however if he decides to play for the US then I'll be the one in the stands with the Yorke shirt waving the American flag.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
Hypothetical for me as well but it would be his choice.  If I had any say at all I'd influence him to represent fuh his heritage and don the Red, Black and White...however if he decides to play for the US then I'll be the one in the stands with the Yorke shirt waving the American flag.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
The question wouldn't come up. I would make sure he mother fly back a couple months before the delivery  ;D

Nah, to be honest all you can do is let him know where he/she come from and keep him/her in touch with the twin islands. When the time comes, you could only hope that he/she knows what to do.

However in the chance that he decide to play for the other country I have a back up plan

highlight to reveal : I burying he navel string on mih first trip back home after birth
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »
Sobriquet  share the wealth

I doh see why yuh cyah encourage two to play for the yankee and the third son could run for T&T

doh send the 2nd son tho...de middle child does always have problems...we eh need ah nex dwarika
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »
I'm in ah situation like Fari, cuz meh wife is Puertorican, so meh son cud play for T&T, USA and Puerto RICO. Wid no disrespect tuh Puerto Rico, ah wouldn't include dem in dis, unless in de next few years dey become a power house in CONCACAF and meh son ( when he is an adult) insist on playing fuh dem. I would not lie on dis thread and say T&T either, I love my country under all circumstances, but my son future is also important to him, so if representing USA is best for his future, I will by no means try to change his mind. It will hurt me to an extent, tuh see him develop into a descent player, and run out fuh USA and not T&T, but I must respect his future, cuz we all know de benefits of representing ah country like USA for most or may be all sports. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:18:15 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You laffin'...maybe I'll rock de yankee shirt wid "Li'l Bakes" on de back and wave mih Trini flag instead...you have man in ah dilemma (or ah "Y de Lima", as Kicker say  ;D)

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
No dilema here. TnT of course.

The decision is easy to make if the kid is raised as a Trini. Rossi the Man U player was born and raised here but chose to play for Italy. I'm sure that's because his parents impressed upon him the pride is representing the Azzuri.

I plan to do the same with my future kids. I'd like for them to feel as connected to Trini as possible.
TnT Patriot

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 08:55:48 PM »

The decision is easy to make if the kid is raised as a Trini. Rossi the Man U player was born and raised here but chose to play for Italy. I'm sure that's because his parents impressed upon him the pride is representing the Azzuri.

I plan to do the same with my future kids. I'd like for them to feel as connected to Trini as possible.

good answer horse. but even with jack and the ttff (not gettin paid/blacklisted) you would lead your kids into that lions den? and rossi's decision is much different. Italy is a much better team than the US and playing for them may allow him much more opportunities whereas euro clubs are concerned. yuh really go put your kids thru jack's nonsense easy so?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »
Jack ,jackula go be ah feeble ole Sucuyant with ah big hanging lip, by the time some ah we kids grow up dan . :devil:

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:34 PM »
But what about the child's possibilites to eventually play in the World Cup?

No one has mentioned that yet, and it could certainly influence the kid's decision. T&T has only ever qualified once in their history, so if that factor could definitely work against you guys.

On the other hand with your smaller player pool there would likely be less competition for places and, therefore, more opportunities for international appearances.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »
But what about the child's possibilites to eventually play in the World Cup?

No one has mentioned that yet, and it could certainly influence the kid's decision. T&T has only ever qualified once in their history, so if that factor could definitely work against you guys.

On the other hand with your smaller player pool there would likely be less competition for places and, therefore, more opportunities for international appearances.

...and maybe, just maybe the kid would feel enough pride in his heritage sufficient to trump anything the US may offer, including playing in the WC.  Before you're too quick to dismiss it you should know that many of us have acquaintances, including one of my best friends, who were born and raised here to Trini parents who consider themselves Trini despite what their birth certificate may say.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 04:42:22 AM »

Allyuh making joke ... 3 wives an 3 daughthers no sons to even have that choice.

Ah guess what ah saying is that having a son is pride enuff who he decide to play for will also be enuff.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »
of course he playing for T&T...

God is de BOSS....

Good thing you eh no pro football er cause it was either guyana or suriname they was forcing yuh to play fuh ..... :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 06:15:39 AM »
Ultimate decision would be the child's. I would never pressure my kids one way or the other. It's really not my decision and I would never want them to secretly (or openly) resent me because they regret a decision they made just to make me proud.

I also live and work in the US..not T&T. Pressuring my kids to represent T&T is  a little hypocritical in my eyes..and once they're old enough, they will see it as such, even if they never say it to my face. My wife is also not Trini, so while I will make sure my children have a strong sense of their trini heritage and will know that T&T is always an option, I will not go so far as to dismiss my wife's heritage and her influence on my children's identity

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:23 AM »
Jack ,jackula go be ah feeble ole Sucuyant with ah big hanging lip, by the time some ah we kids grow up dan . :devil:

And when that time come it go be Daryan Warner in dey skin watch and see...

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »

good answer horse. but even with jack and the ttff (not gettin paid/blacklisted) you would lead your kids into that lions den? and rossi's decision is much different. Italy is a much better team than the US and playing for them may allow him much more opportunities whereas euro clubs are concerned. yuh really go put your kids thru jack's nonsense easy so?

I played a few games for trini as a youth but now I living in the US.  If any of my sons, who were all born in the US good enough to play for the US, there is no question, who they playing for.  It's the US.  That's what they know, that's where there loyalties lie.  This is there life not mines.  I can't live my dreams through them, that wouldn't be fair.  When I played them few games for trini and that national anthem playing and you wearing the red/white/black, tears does come to yuh eye but this is their life.  And on top at that, I consider myself to be a huge trini fan, but sorry, if my kids playing for the US, it go be hard, but I supporting the US.  Fact is, at this point, the US is the better program than ours and is time we acknoweldge that.  It would be no shame for my son to play for the US.  Keep in mind, they are americians but with trini parentage.

Why is  Aaron Maud playing for the U17 in the WC and why did Isiah Ferguson try out for T&T b/c they both tried out for the US and didn't make the team.  If they truly truly only wanted to play for trini, they woulda never try out for the US.  But the fact is they live in the states and that is their country of birth.  Not to mention, week in week out, they probably playing against better competition with their clubs and gaining better experience in the US on their respective ODP and club teams.
Arimian to meh heart

1]; } ?>