April 18, 2024, 05:29:55 AM

Author Topic: U-17: Germany must top group F to avoid Brazil next  (Read 911 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
U-17: Germany must top group F to avoid Brazil next
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:55:26 AM »
looking at the 2nd stage placements, Brazil with face "2F" whoever comes in 2nd in the group.

1F will face 2E which will most likely be Tajikistan or Belgium

In an interview the German coach "officially" doesn't care whether they face Brazil now or later, but I'm sure they will have incentive to try to avoid them in the round of 16.

soooo, I'm just sayin, be ready fellahs ;D

U-17 World Cup: Germany vs. T&T Preview

While Trinidad & Tobago will play for pride, having no potential for advancing to the next stage, Germany will be fighting to top the group in order to avoid a tussle with Brazil in the Round of 16.

As things stand the second place finisher of group F is scheduled to play Brazil on August 29th in Gwangyang, while the winner of group F will play the yet undetermined runner up of group E on the 30th in Cheonan. This most likely would be a far less threatening Belgium or even Tajikistan.

The German trainer, Heiko Herrlich, has been quoted as saying it doesn't matter if they face Brazil now or later, but the incentive to top the group will be there. "We need to lay aside distractions to exit the group in a favorable position," commented German striker Sascha Bigalke, who scored the opening goal against Ghana on Thursday.

The German side will not be taking their final group game lightly. Herrlich pointed out that Trinidad was only down a single goal against Colombia and had a number of scoring opportunities entering the second half. Germany must maintain its concentration to avoid the pattern of their own previous matches against Colombia and Ghana where they ran up leads of 3:1 and 3:0, respectively, only to see their opponents answer with final scores of 3:3 and 3:2.

As for the junior Soca Warriors: They will be playing for pride and experience. In an interview following the 0:5 defeat to Colombia, keeper Glenroy Samuel said, "Now all we can do is hope for a miracle. We can beat Germany, though. I'm satisfied with the way I personally played, but unfortunately that wasn't enough. In any case, it's all good experience for us here at this tournament."

The standings of Group F going into the final match are:

TeamMPWDLGFGAPts
Colombia2110834
Germany2110654
Ghana2101643
Trinidad & Tobago2002190

TnT in Germany RSS feed
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:05:22 AM by E-man »

1]; } ?>